Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SHENNANIGANS!

Comment

We must not forget that thanks to the latest titles in the series we have seen a gigantic universe of possibilities open up for Resident Evil.
      I don't know quite what he means by that. The main storyline involving Wesker, Umbrella and Spencer etc have been wrapped up in RE5, so I don't get where the possibilities have come from. Perhaps he means there's new characters that they could explore. Or maybe that becauseit's all been wrapped up, they are given the opportunity to start a new storyline?

I can not say if it will be a survival horror game or a shooter type of game, but it will be something completely new.
      That kind of worries me. I was hoping their focus for the next game would be complete survival horror. I'm guessing when he says 'shooter type' he's talking about RE5-style gameplay.

The problem that RE4 and RE5 made was that they attracted a new crowd of fans, and now we have a fanbase that is divided between fans of the original games and the new style, so now I imagine Capcom won't take the risk of going back to survival horror. I'm thinking we may get a compromise of both at best.

I just hope we don't get co-op gameplay again, because I really feel that you need to be alone in a survival horror game. But I think we might, otherwise Capcom might feel that they would put the RE5 newcomers off. At least in RE4 you were alone, in RE5 you always had your partner to fall back on and there was never really a fear of dying. I'm not against RE5, I just really want Resident Evil to be Resident Evil again.
      Last edited by IllGiveYouStars; 04-27-2011, 08:05 PM.

Comment

This news worrys me. Lets face it, RE isnt scary at all anymore, and has not been since the REmakes on GC.

I give the "I shit my self crown" to Dead Space 1 / 2 these days

But yeah RE6 is Capcom's last chance to impress me, and im sure alot of others too.

Pull your head out Capcom please!

Comment

^really? i didnt found dead space scary at all.

more like boring imho.

Comment

The same thing was said about RE5.

Comment

Originally posted by DONNIemo View Post
              This news worrys me. Lets face it, RE isnt scary at all anymore, and has not been since the REmakes on GC.
              Disagree massively.

Ignoring for a second that fear is entirely subjective and manifests itself differently in different people...both games have a decent ammount of atmosphere in them, and certainly had the odd scare or two on first playthroughs - the problem is they're pretty much gone when played on multiple playthroughs.

Comment

I think the issue is how the gaming scene has changed, and one factor that I place significant blame on is the rise of casual gaming. Games are becoming a lot easier. I also believe that Call of Duty is responsible for taking games in the wrong direction, it's the reason why SOCOM 4 became the watered down easy mode shitstorm that it is. In fact, as elitist as this may sound, I think it's all getting very dumbed down.

In the original RE titles, item management was a key facet to ensuring your survival. You had to use your mind as well as your controller to succeed.
                See you in hell.

Comment

Originally posted by Stu View Post
                  Disagree massively.

Ignoring for a second that fear is entirely subjective and manifests itself differently in different people...both games have a decent ammount of atmosphere in them, and certainly had the odd scare or two on first playthroughs - the problem is they're pretty much gone when played on multiple playthroughs.
                  mate no offence i adisagree with you, 4 & 5 ar not scary whasoever

Comment

There is no reason the newer RE system couldn't be scary. It is, generally, considered that RE4 and RE5 are less scary than the older games but that isn't directly related to the gameplay, but rather the direction Capcom decided to go. Simply throwing monsterous creatures at people isn't going to work, those creatures need to be intimidating. The early RE games had zombies, which were scary because each one could kill you if you weren't careful, could kill you if you didn't have the ammo to fight back, could kill you if you didn't have the health...in theory, the same is true for on points 2 and 3 for the new style games but, honestly, I had one area in RE4 where I had ammo and health trouble and none in RE5.

As I said in the Dead Space area, if Capcom decide to go with the current, supposedly smarter enemies for RE6 they need to beg EA to teach them how they did the Stalkers. Few in number, intelligent enemies are much, much more intimidating that a horde of mugs you can fight off fairly easily with just a knife. Zombies were intimidating because you never quite knew if they were faster or tougher than normal, and each one could kill you (two or three could ruin your day). Three Ganados might as well kill themselves for all the danger they present.

Comment

Well fair enough to each person's views. Just RE doesn't do it for me in the scares anymore. And I stand by Dead Space, I go so slowly walking around listening intensivly to every little sound to know whats about to happen, just like I did with the old RE's. I never did it from RE4 onwards Thats all i was trying to say.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Spencer View Post
                        I think the issue is how the gaming scene has changed, and one factor that I place significant blame on is the rise of casual gaming. Games are becoming a lot easier. I also believe that Call of Duty is responsible for taking games in the wrong direction, it's the reason why SOCOM 4 became the watered down easy mode shitstorm that it is. In fact, as elitist as this may sound, I think it's all getting very dumbed down.

In the original RE titles, item management was a key facet to ensuring your survival. You had to use your mind as well as your controller to succeed.
                        Most of the gamers that play Call of Duty games are actually casual gamers. None of them care for the story modes or how long a game is. Thus why FPS these days have a wonky/easy story mode and its all about the multiplayer experience. I think those casual/twitch gamers have done more damage than the typical casual gamer that plays mini-games or jumps around the living room in front of a TV screen.

And I remember RE fans bitching like crazy because they had to do a lot of item management in RE Zero. They wanted the magic boxes back and refused to deal with having to THINK what was necessary in their adventure and what wasn't.

So I guess they dumbed down that whole experience. And it seems more of that, is to come. Because it SELLS.
                        Last edited by Pikminister; 04-28-2011, 11:44 AM.
                        Stuff to remember: Avoid forums if you're having a bad day.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Darkmoon View Post
                          As I said in the Dead Space area, if Capcom decide to go with the current, supposedly smarter enemies for RE6 they need to beg EA to teach them how they did the Stalkers. Few in number, intelligent enemies are much, much more intimidating that a horde of mugs you can fight off fairly easily with just a knife.
                          Except the Stalkers weren't intimidating. Or all that smart, either.

All you had to do was stand against a wall, maybe in a corner, and pick them off as they came running towards you. The first time I encountered the Stalkers in that circular area, I just put my back against the door that was locked and impaled each Stalker as it charged toward me with the conveniently placed metal spikes you could pick up and launch with Kinesis.

So limited ammo was never a problem in that regard, either. In fact, on the whole, the ability to impale enemies with their own limbs almost entirely negated the whole point of limiting your ammo to increase the fear factor or tension in the first place.

Maybe I'm just calmer in those types of situations than the average gamer. If you're sitting there freaking out and blindly firing every which way, I can see how they might be a threat, but I've never had that sort of reaction while playing any game, survival horror or no.
                          Last edited by Archelon; 04-28-2011, 12:53 PM.

Comment

They're still a lot smarter, and for me at least, a lot more intimidating than the Ganados. You try just walking around and hunting them and they will kill you. Which makes them smarter than most enemies in these games. Yeah, backing up and waiting for them does work, especially on the easier modes, but that's the point - you can't just handle them like a normal enemy. Which can be awkward, if there ARE normal enemies around.

I admit, I didn't have an issue with ammo in Dead Space. Especially not once I had the Ripper, my typical weapon of choice. I did run out for individual weapons, but never all of them. But then, I was trying to save ammo, being careful with my shots and using Kinesis when possible. If you try the typical 'shoot everything as much as possible' tactics, you die. You might not have to be too careful with your ammo but you have to be careful with your shots.

Still, the Stalkers (and Necromophs in general) scare me a great deal more than a dozen Ganado managed to do. And the Stalkers basic AI fits what the Ganados are meant to be - aggresive infected humans who are still intelligent - much better than there current run and shuffle attacks.

Comment

Originally posted by Darkmoon View Post
                              They're still a lot smarter, and for me at least, a lot more intimidating than the Ganados. You try just walking around and hunting them and they will kill you. Which makes them smarter than most enemies in these games. Yeah, backing up and waiting for them does work, especially on the easier modes, but that's the point - you can't just handle them like a normal enemy. Which can be awkward, if there ARE normal enemies around.
                              See, this is less an issue when you factor in Stasis. It might have presented more of a problem in the first game since the Stasis didn't recharge on its own, but I almost never found myself running on empty in DS2. If you didn't have the ability to slow down enemies to a crawl, then I imagine the encounters would pose a much greater threat, even when your facing multiple types of opponents.

If you try the typical 'shoot everything as much as possible' tactics, you die. You might not have to be too careful with your ammo but you have to be careful with your shots.
                              Not if you're using the Plasma Rifle. That thing will wreck every enemy you come across, especially if it's fully upgraded. At least it did in my experience. Add in the Seeker Rifle and the Javelin Gun (I think that's what it's called), and you don't even need to worry about severing limbs anymore, which kind of defeats the whole purpose of the combat in the first place.

Still, the Stalkers (and Necromophs in general) scare me a great deal more than a dozen Ganado managed to do. And the Stalkers basic AI fits what the Ganados are meant to be - aggresive infected humans who are still intelligent - much better than there current run and shuffle attacks.
                              The difference being that the Ganados will actually flank you when given the chance. Maybe the Stalkers will do this on the highest difficult setting (the one where you can only save three times, I mean), but I don't think I ever had one circle around me, even when they were able to, as in the aforementioned circular room.

I may have had my back against the wall, but they still could have come at me from the left or right sides where the gates had been, but they never did. They always came straight for me from the front.

Comment

Stasis is useful, but I found it didn't work too well on the Stalkers. I'd freeze one and find another hitting me in the ass, and I admit, I could freeze one or two before I ran out of juice. I never bothered upgrading Stasis though, and only really used it on Brutes and for puzzles.

I did have the Stalkers hit me from the sides when I fought them, especially during the second and third encounters with them. Maybe I got into a worse position than you though. But I had to keep my eye on two different directions, trying to spot which way they would come. The first fight, after my initial panic at finding them running away from me passed, was fairly simple. I had a lot more trouble with them later.

My load out was the Plasma Cutter, Line Gun, Ripper and Force Gun. So I did a fair ammount of dismembering. I did try the Javelin Gun and Seeker Rifles, but found the Seeker too slow too often and the Javelin too gimicky. Never tried the Plasma Gun though.

I haven't had Ganado's flank me deliberately, that I can remember. Beyond being spawned to the side of me and therefore comming from that direction, anyway. And the run up and shuffle is still incredibly stupid. I know it's for gameplay reasons, but it makes the Ganados a joke. I'd rather have less of them and have them run all the way in.

Comment

Working...
                                X