No announcement yet.

GameSpot Plays Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem of going multiplatform is choosing the right version... I admit I like the Xbox more because the online experience is IMO better, but the PS3 has free online. PC will be a Games For Windows Live so there's a big chance that you need a Gold Xbox Live membership to play it. Decisions ¬¬

"I miss the days when we just cared how cool an enemy was rather than critiquing and analyzing everything to death." - Shield Key

Comment

Hmm, I see on Amazon that the Special Edition is only $10 more than the regular release; however, are a few patches and alternate costumes really worth it? I think I will have to see both up close and personal before I actually decide.

I will also be going with the PS3 version.
      sigpic

Comment

It's better than spending an extra ten dollars for nothing whatsoever.

Comment

Ah, it wouldn't be a Smiley post without the requisite Revelations whining.

If I do get the ORC Special Edition, it'll only be because it comes with all of the DLC that's otherwise retailer-exclusive.
          Last edited by Archelon; 11-27-2011, 01:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Smiley View Post
            ORC actually has an advantage that RE4 and RE5 didn't have though. It's going to place its over-the-shoulder action experience within RE nostalgia. You're back to the zombies, you got Nemesis and the other big mutants.
            Well...the thing is RE4 kind of did have RE nostalgia, it was filled with nods to previous games. Though it didn't have any of the classic critters we've all grown up with it did have a lot of references to the previous games. Giant boulders, a gem in a deers head trophy, Ada tossing Leon the Rocket launcher to defeat the final boss.

Hell, the last shot of Leon escaping through the collapsing tunnel was a reference to when he, Claire, and Sherry escaped through the train tunnel in RE2. That brought up fond memories for me.
            Last edited by Wrathborne; 11-27-2011, 03:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Wrathborne View Post
              Well...the thing is RE4 kind of did have RE nostalgia, it was filled with nods to previous games. Though it didn't have any of the classic critters we've all grown up with it did have a lot of references to the previous games. Giant boulders, a gem in a deers head trophy, Ada tossing Leon the Rocket launcher to defeat the final boss.

Hell, the last shot of Leon escaping through the collapsing tunnel was a reference to when he, Claire, and Sherry escaped through the train tunnel in RE2. That brought up fond memories for me.
              Not to mention the puzzules , and the scary jump moments it had ;P , While RE5 Lacked Both , RE5 Was Good Story Wise , but was Bad Gameplay wise , lacked Horror and survival which is why its bad .... RE5 can be compared to 4 thru las plagas and monsters , but RE4 didnt have just those ...
              Darkness : Tactical reload wasn't even in deadly silence LMAO
              ^ Lol ...

Comment

Originally posted by Wrathborne View Post

I'm not suggesting that RE4 and RE5 are disconnected entirely from the previous games. The puzzles, characters and references you mention are elements that stayed with the series.

What I'm pointing out is that we've come to a point in Resident Evil where the things I listed are now viewed from a nostalgic standpoint. You want a good representation of Resident Evil nostalgia? Raccoon City. Unlike the mansion incident where the location itself is contained, you have an entire city to work with. The cream of the crop.

Comment

Originally posted by Smiley View Post
                  I'm not suggesting that RE4 and RE5 are disconnected entirely from the previous games. The puzzles, characters and references you mention are elements that stayed with the series.

What I'm pointing out is that we've come to a point in Resident Evil where the things I listed are now viewed from a nostalgic standpoint. You want a good representation of Resident Evil nostalgia? Raccoon City. Unlike the mansion incident where the location itself is contained, you have an entire city to work with. The cream of the crop.
                  Most of what CAPCOM present as nostalgia in the series lately comes off as forced, but they still try and make it seem as though each time the design of the mansion is re-used, it's brand new. I would chalk this up to change in developers with each new team left with the desire to present some nostalgia, but it's annoying.

Spoiler:
                  Last edited by News Bot; 11-29-2011, 09:05 AM.
                  PROJECT Umbrella - The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium

Comment

Working...
                  X