No announcement yet.

Resident Evil Operation Raccoon City Heroes Mode Multiplayer Video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So in other words, Capcom Japan doesn't give a rat's patootie about the series canon.

Comment

• Originally posted by Archelon View Post
      So in other words, Capcom Japan doesn't give a rat's patootie about the series canon.
      Yes because reviewing, discussing and approving every change S6 wants to make seems like they do not care?
      Beanovsky Durst - "They are not pervs. They are japanese."

Comment

• The situation sounds very similar to Gaiden. CAPCOM provide the general outline of the scenario, Slant Six embellish it. It doesn't sound like CAPCOM are heavily involved in the writing so there is definitely going to be some discrepancies one way or another because of Slant Six's own shit personal fixations. CAPCOM only review and approve the information Slant Six give them, which leaves plenty of lee-way for them to incorporate things which conflict with the entire series.

If parts don't fit with information which has been set in stone for over a decade, then those parts are disregarded.
        PROJECT Umbrella - The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium

Comment

• But approved by Capcom

Comment

• Originally posted by Smiley View Post
            But approved by Capcom
            Gaiden, Wesker's Report, Prelude to the Fall, Marhawa Desire, Ada The Female Spy is Alive and Sherry The Little Runaway and Story Texts by Benny Matsuyama are all approved by CAPCOM.

We won't know for sure exactly what is and isn't canon until the game comes out.

Comment

• Exactly. And that gives you a sense of how much they actually care about this canon. If it's convenient to the game play and/or the style then changes will be made.

Comment

Exactly. And that gives you a sense of how much they actually care about this canon. If it's convenient to the game play and/or the style then changes will be made.
                Thing is, all those examples I gave are side-stories. They aren't meant to be canon.

Comment

• Wesker's Report is. A retrospect narrated by Wesker covering events like his rebirth which carried over in another convoluted mess known as Umbrella Chronicles.

Up until RE4 Gaiden certainly could have been considered "canon" and other Capcom products like the 2008 calendar suggests that it still is part of the story which is really funny. RE4's existence is a retcon of Leon.

At this rate they might as well distance themselves from the silly canon. With all these games set in between the timeline (or with different people attached to make the sequels) you are prone to having inevitable changes to the story and characters. One of the reasons why I'm glad Metal Gear Rising will be re-written to take place after MGS4.

It's not just retcons you got to worry about either. It's also going to be the add-ons which make no impact to the already existing future installments.

I also can't wait to see how Revelations will fare. To have this high-tech useful scanner the BSAA uses which will never be acknowledged in RE5.
                  Last edited by Smiley; 12-19-2011, 01:04 PM.

Comment

• Well yeah, but Wesker's Report is an exception in a lot of cases simply because it is very badly written and they have at least tried to salvage it by incorporating bits of it into the Chronicles games. Gaiden was never meant to be canon at any point in time for the series.

The problem with ORC is less that it doesn't fit in the canon, so far it generally does, but it has gotten every single bit of information wrong and contains countless pointless contradictions which would have been avoided if Slant Six's writers had the ability to pick up a fucking book. And stealth camo and guns which don't exist in 1998 don't help. I personally despise Wolfpack and every shitty character in it, but they probably still fit.

Also, Metal Gear Rising was confirmed by Kojima to not be part of the Metal Gear canon. It's just set in the time period after MGS4. They'll probably turn right around and say otherwise later on though.

Comment

• There's a fine difference between not being canon and being distanced from the series. Capcom could certainly make due with both at this rate. But knowing how they've handled a "DmC" reboot I'd still be worried.

Comment

• We'll have to wait and see once the game comes out and we get to scrutinize every bit of it.

Comment

Up until RE4 Gaiden certainly could have been considered "canon"...
                          And after so many discussions over RE:Gaiden ludicrously misunderstood ending, I've officially lost ANY hope of Smiley ever getting the ending of Gaiden right.

Holy sweet Gebus... LOL
                          Stuff to remember: Avoid forums if you're having a bad day.
                          sigpic

Comment

• That's nice.

Comment

• That's not very nice.

Comment

• Well actually if I cared about his opinion I might have found that upsetting. As it stands I think it's good for him to at least come up with some excuse as to lose any hope for me. A "misunderstood" ending with no clarity as to how or why seems as good as any even if he doesn't challenge whether it fits in the canon or not. And that's where Newsbot and I come in.

Comment

Working...
                                X