Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by News Bot View Post
    You're overreacting.

Muller's gameplay style is what BH4 was originally meant to be before it was re-tweaked into Devil May Cry, and you played as the son of Oswell E. Spencer in that game. I haven't seen any irrational hate directed at Hideki Kamiya for deciding on that. They're compensating with more horror in Leon's scenario. Action is unavoidable because it's what makes up a large chunk of the sales in the series and the classic gameplay style of pre-rendered backgrounds and tank controls are out-dated and loathed by the majority because the industry has moved the fuck on, regardless of whether anyone personally doesn't have a problem with them. There is nothing inherently wrong with action. A game can still be a horror game provided its developers actually have a grasp of horror.

And again, the team is made up of people who are responsible for the best games in the entire series, not the ones responsible for the worst titles who have been handling the series since 2006. This is a big implication that absolutely nobody is paying attention to, and everyone seems to think the series is still in the hands of "Call of Duty Kawata". At the very least, it is in good hands and first-hand impressions are very promising so far. This isn't the same as the case with Operation Raccoon City, which looked like shit from day one.

The team working on this game is much more experienced and well-versed with the series than the team that worked on Revelations, and that was a great attempt at balancing horror with action from people who didn't really know how to convey horror. BH6 is being handled by a team that does and has a proven track record.
    No one's mad at Kamiya for knowing when the game play style works for a different game of its own. Fact is they didn't make RE4 in the final run. They made DMC. What they originally intended worked better as its own series rather than forcing it into a well established formula.

They claim Leon will be more "Gothic" and the like, but that doesn't mean much. He's still going to do his own set of melee, sliding, run and gun in his own co-op outing. And if some way that was meant to be for people who played the originals that's 1/3 of the game devoted to that.

And our producer might not be Kawata. It's going to be one of the producers of Resident Evil: Apocalypse and Resident Evil: Afterlife. The "call of duty" outlook has been said by more than Kawata which to me suggests this is a well received goal from within the company.

The difference in your example is that Revelations was marketed as a return to survival horror. RE6 isn't trying to be survival horror anymore.
    Last edited by Smiley; 04-13-2012, 01:07 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Vito View Post
      Which games did they do News Bot? RE4? RE2?
      All of the ones that don't suck. Kobayashi (executive producer) in particular was the producer of almost the entire series. BH2, BH3, BHCV, BH4, BH0, REmake, etc. He's also the one who oversaw most of the awesome supplemental material in the series.

Sasaki (director) was the director of the Outbreaks.

Hirabayashi (producer) was involved in REmake and BH4.

That's not counting any of the other development team members, but since those are the main three they're all I've recognized so far.

Originally posted by Smiley View Post
      No one's mad at Kamiya for knowing when the game play style works for a different game of its own. Fact is they didn't make RE4 in the final run. They made DMC. What they originally intended worked better as its own series rather than forcing it into a well established formula.

They claim Leon will be more "Gothic" and the like, but that doesn't mean much. He's still going to do his own set of melee, sliding, run and gun in his own co-op outing. And if some way that was meant to be for people who played the originals that's 1/3 of the game devoted to that.

And our producer might not be Kawata. It's going to be one of the producers of Resident Evil: Apocalypse and Resident Evil: Afterlife. The "call of duty" outlook has been said by more than Kawata which to me suggests this is a well received goal from within the company.

The difference in your example is that Revelations was marketed as a return to survival horror. RE6 isn't trying to be survival horror anymore.
      Kamiya didn't decide to make Devil May Cry. Mikami decided to make Devil May Cry. Kamiya doesn't like horror, he likes action. That's why BH2 (pretty much lauded as one of the best games ever) was more action-orientated than the first game. He was going to go further with action (see; BH1.5) until they took a rain check.

Melee, sliding, run and gun are a more intuitive and fluid evolution of a gameplay format that was universally pissed on in 2009. Why are you complaining about them? I played the original games, doesn't mean I think a PS1 generation gameplay system should be the norm two generations later when so many better options are available.

Kobayashi is "producer" of Apocalypse and Afterlife, but he doesn't actually work on the movies and has no real say. Trying to use something he doesn't actually work on to try and cross-out all of his other accomplishments doesn't really work. Kawata is the worst thing to happen to the series.

BH6 isn't marketed as survival horror?

We’re taking survival horror to next level. Your worst fears lurk behind every corner. We’re going beyond the boundaries of everything you’ve ever experienced before. We have some really special creatures in this game designed to really frighten you. We’re going back to the original game where you were scared all the time. We’re putting back all the spills, thrills and chills of Resident Evil games. We’re maxing out everything to deliver something really huge, something you haven’t experienced before.
      Last edited by News Bot; 04-13-2012, 01:18 PM.
      PROJECT Umbrella - The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium

Comment

• Well said NewsBot ! Also we will get Horror in Leons Part ...
        Last edited by Mrox2; 04-13-2012, 01:16 PM.
        Darkness : Tactical reload wasn't even in deadly silence LMAO
        ^ Lol ...

Comment

You're overreacting.

Muller's gameplay style is what BH4 was originally meant to be before it was re-tweaked into Devil May Cry, and you played as the son of Oswell E. Spencer in that game. I haven't seen any irrational hate directed at Hideki Kamiya for deciding on that. They're compensating with more horror in Leon's scenario. Action is unavoidable because it's what makes up a large chunk of the sales in the series and the classic gameplay style of pre-rendered backgrounds and tank controls are out-dated and loathed by the majority because the industry has moved the fuck on, regardless of whether anyone personally doesn't have a problem with them. There is nothing inherently wrong with action. A game can still be a horror game provided its developers actually have a grasp of horror.

And again, the team is made up of people who are responsible for the best games in the entire series, not the ones responsible for the worst titles who have been handling the series since 2006. This is a big implication that absolutely nobody is paying attention to, and everyone seems to think the series is still in the hands of "Call of Duty Kawata". At the very least, it is in good hands and first-hand impressions are very promising so far. This isn't the same as the case with Operation Raccoon City, which looked like shit from day one.

The team working on this game is much more experienced and well-versed with the series than the team that worked on Revelations, and that was a great attempt at balancing horror with action from people who didn't really know how to convey horror. BH6 is being handled by a team that does and has a proven track record.
          good point still hope for some old B.O.WS well we got zombies leon part looks quit good so far very horro looking anyway i think capcom have found the happy medium here
          Last edited by Headhunter99; 04-13-2012, 01:22 PM.

Comment

• We'll get a possible attempt at horror in Leon's part. I do not give a low flying fuck what Capcom claims; I'll believe they've added horror when I see it.

I remember 'Fear You Can't Forget' after all.

Comment

• Originally posted by Darkmoon View Post
              We'll get a possible attempt at horror in Leon's part. I do not give a low flying fuck what Capcom claims; I'll believe they've added horror when I see it.

I remember 'Fear You Can't Forget' after all.
              "Fear You Can't Forget" was CAPCOM U.S.A. marketing jargon. The development team had nothing to do with that shitty viral campaign, and CAPCOM U.S.A. had nothing to do with the development of the game.

Comment

• And none of the people working on the game claimed it was terrifying? I'm sure I remember a couple of them.

Regardless, I'm not inclined to believe them. Which means there marketing sucks.

Comment

• Originally posted by Darkmoon View Post
                  And none of the people working on the game claimed it was terrifying? I'm sure I remember a couple of them.

Regardless, I'm not inclined to believe them. Which means there marketing sucks.
                  I don't recall any of them actually saying that. Maybe at the beginning of development, but back then, the game did genuinely look like it had horror. It just went off-the-rails at some point. Even so, BH6 isn't led by Jun Takeuchi or anyone else who was in charge of BH5, but were in charge of completely different games. Why would their collective experience with the latter go out the window suddenly with a single game? Too much paranoia and nostalgia clouding judgement, especially when they haven't even remotely sampled the game. Just pissing their pants any time a new gameplay mechanic is revealed. The game definitely succeeds with horror already in that respect.
                  Last edited by News Bot; 04-13-2012, 01:39 PM.

Comment

Kamiya didn't decide to make Devil May Cry. Mikami decided to make Devil May Cry. Kamiya doesn't like horror, he likes action. That's why BH2 (pretty much lauded as one of the best games ever) was more action-orientated than the first game. He was going to go further with action (see; BH1.5) until they took a rain check.

Melee, sliding, run and gun are a more intuitive and fluid evolution of a gameplay format that was universally pissed on in 2009. Why are you complaining about them? I played the original games, doesn't mean I think a PS1 generation gameplay system should be the norm two generations later when so many better options are available.

Kobayashi is "producer" of Apocalypse and Afterlife, but he doesn't actually work on the movies and has no real say. Trying to use something he doesn't actually work on to try and cross-out all of his other accomplishments doesn't really work. Kawata is the worst thing to happen to the series.

BH6 isn't marketed as survival horror?
                    Which is why I said the fact that they made DMC instead of RE4 rings true. They saw fit to keep that type of game play in a different game. There's nothing to argue on this front. They were going to make RE4 into DMC. They didn't in the end. They made DMC.

And I've already discussed previously in separate topics how the fluid melee suits action better than horror. Traditional survival horror games were scarier because of their restrictions just as much as the atmosphere. You can have a gothic environment, and it'll mean zilch if your game play is tailored for an action format. The same format seemingly used in the rest of the game.

Kobayashi's accomplishments include the live action movies. This is not to undermine him, but show his support in the action direction Resident Evil is taking. I'm not overreacting in saying that Alice might as well be in the games at this rate. Nearly every complaint a fan has made about that character is stemming in some form into each sequel. Muller being a prime example of super powered protagonist.

The dev team is coining this one 'Dramatic Horror'. Trying to blend survival horror and action.

Maybe I should further add that Revelations was marketed as a 'return to form'. RE6 is marketed as an evolution according to the producers. From the trailers themselves you know there's a lot of action. But what of horror? What from the marketing has shown this game to be as scary as the previous entries? Cause a Gothic set for Leon doesn't simply do it on its own.

Comment

• Originally posted by Smiley View Post
                      Which is why I said the fact that they made DMC instead of RE4 rings true. They saw fit to keep that type of game play in a different game. There's nothing to argue on this front. They were going to make RE4 into DMC. They didn't in the end. They made DMC.

And I've already discussed previously in separate topics how the fluid melee suits action better than horror. Traditional survival horror games were scarier because of their restrictions just as much as the atmosphere. You can have a gothic environment, and it'll mean zilch if your game play is tailored for an action format. The same format seemingly used in the rest of the game.

Kobayashi's accomplishments include the live action movies. This is not to undermine him, but show his support in the action direction Resident Evil is taking. I'm not overreacting in saying that Alice might as well be in the games at this rate. Nearly every complaint a fan has made about that character is stemming in some form into each sequel. Muller being a prime example of super powered protagonist.

The dev team is coining this one 'Dramatic Horror'. Trying to blend survival horror and action.

Maybe I should further add that Revelations was marketed as a 'return to form'. RE6 is marketed as an evolution according to the producers. From the trailers themselves you know there's a lot of action. But what of horror? What from the marketing has shown this game to be as scary as the previous entries? Cause a Gothic set for Leon doesn't simply do it on its own.
                      Kobayashi has no involvement in the live action movies. He is there as a CAPCOM figure, but has no say in anything that goes on. He just ensures that it doesn't completely stray from the series. He also produced Degeneration and is producing Damnation. CAPCOM also had members of the development teams of the games to supervise, edit and approve things like the Wildstorm comics and Hong Kong manhua which also feature tons of action (NEMESIS VS. TYRANT VS. BIRKIN!). That was back during the days of BH2 and BH3. Were you complaining about action then too? The people who supervise the series material not actually handled by CAPCOM generally do not give a shit about that material, they give the authors/directors a lot of free reign. The only real time they actually oppose them is when they try to interfere with the games or contradict them. Kobayashi's position was primarily to stop that.

Revelations was also received as a "return to form", because it was. It finally had a horror atmosphere again. BH6 is taking all of the elements that made it good and expanding on them, with a team much more experienced with horror.

What from the marketing has shown this game to be as scary as the previous entries?
                      Dunno, probably people saying it is as scary as the previous games after seeing it in-action. Like... Revelations.

With Resident Evil 6, however, Capcom is subtly pulling its franchise in a different direction, taking the blockbuster scale and drama of its last couple titles and marrying them with a tone and gritty sense of horror that has scarcely been seen since the series could still find its identity in the survival horror genre.
                      Last edited by News Bot; 04-13-2012, 01:53 PM.

Comment

Kobayashi has no involvement in the live action movies. He is there as a CAPCOM figure, but has no say in anything that goes on. He just ensures that it doesn't completely stray from the series. He also produced Degeneration and is producing Damnation. CAPCOM also had members of the development teams of the games to supervise, edit and approve things like the Wildstorm comics and Hong Kong manhua which also feature tons of action. That was back during the days of BH2 and BH3. Were you complaining about action then too? The people who supervise the series material not actually handled by CAPCOM generally do not give a shit about that material, they give the authors/directors a lot of free reign. The only real time they actually oppose them is when they try to interfere with the games or contradict them. Kobayashi's position was primarily to stop that.

Revelations was also received as a "return to form", because it was. It finally had a horror atmosphere again. BH6 is taking all of the elements that made it good and expanding on them, with a team much more experienced with horror.

Dunno, probably people saying it is as scary as the previous games after seeing it in-action. Like... Revelations.
                        A Capcom figure that supports that direction. Nothing to argue here. Goes with what I'm saying.

The CGI films also blend in the stylized action with Damnation looking moreso than Degeneration if the setting is a war zone.

I mentioned nothing about comics though reading the Code Veronica set that came out gave me a bad taste in my mouth as that type of action displayed was far more than the actual game had. It was like reading a storyboard for Michael Bay's Code Veronica.

Also I was not complaining about action in Resident Evil as long as it was outside the main video game series. I gave up on the live action films a long time ago so I don't care what direction they go in. If the comics are anything like Code Veronica's then I'd best stay away.

But the main series taking the action approach is disappointing.

Apparently being a return to form only accounts for an atmosphere. Which brings me back to RE6. If Leon represents those type of segments (action game play mixed with a horror environment) that's still 1/3 of the game and evidently all that's required to be a return to form.

That quote at the bottom was pretty funny. For a game that originally coined 'Survival horror' it's ironic that they have an identity crisis within the genre.

Comment

• A Capcom figure that supports that direction. Nothing to argue here. Goes with what I'm saying.
                          And doesn't use it in the games. You have just reiterated the status quo.

The CGI films also blend in the stylized action with Damnation looking moreso than Degeneration if the setting is a war zone.
                          Dunno, it'd be pretty fucking stupid if Leon just stared at a zombie for the entire movie. You do realize you fight copious amounts of monsters in the series?

I mentioned nothing about comics though reading the Code Veronica set that came out gave me a bad taste in my mouth as that type of action displayed was far more than the actual game had. It was like reading a storyboard for Michael Bay's Code Veronica.
                          I didn't say you mentioned the comics, I gave them as an example of the formula that the movies also follow. It is nothing new, and just because it's present in a different medium and made by people who have nothing to do with the games does not mean that the games themselves are suddenly completely different.

Also I was not complaining about action in Resident Evil as long as it was outside the main video game series. I gave up on the live action films a long time ago so I don't care what direction they go in. If the comics are anything like Code Veronica's then I'd best stay away.
                          So you want the same game over and over again, with the ancient gameplay from REmake that in itself was virtually the exact same as a 1996 game? It will never sell, and the series will die outright. The series has always had action. Mikami even complained that BH2 had more action than BH1, and this was after BH1.5 was scrapped, and that had a lot more action and gratuitous violence. Very few fans of the games give a shit about the movies. The only reason they are still made is because they somehow reap in money, especially from fans of the games who keep getting "curious" and wonder whether the movies will suddenly improve.

Apparently being a return to form only accounts for an atmosphere. Which brings me back to RE6. If Leon represents those type of segments (action game play mixed with a horror environment) that's still 1/3 of the game and evidently all that's required to be a return to form.
                          Uhh. The entire series relies on atmosphere for 90% of the "horror". The rest lies in cheap "jump" scares and in the enemies. The gameplay really doesn't mean anything. As long as the threat overwhelms the player's means, horror can be easily preserved regardless of what gameplay mechanics it has. The series has always leaned heavily on action. I love REmake, BH1, BH2, BH3 equally. I probably prefer BH3 because of its more fluid approach to the original game design, even with its increased action. It was just as much "horror" as the two games before it.

I would view BH4 and BH5 as horror games more if they simply removed the fact that enemies drop health and ammo. If that element was gone completely, I'd believe I was playing a Survival Horror game right there and then. In every other game in the series, I always end up with copious amounts of ammo, just from finding them in the environment. BH4 and BH5 simply ensure no shortage, with the latter being the absolute worst offender, as 4 actually did have parts that were very tough due to suddenly running out of ammo.

That quote at the bottom was pretty funny. For a game that originally coined 'Survival horror' it's ironic that they have an identity crisis within the genre.
                          Still true, though. It started getting confused in BH4, and strayed from Survival Horror completely for several years, focusing on rail shooters.
                          Last edited by News Bot; 04-13-2012, 02:26 PM.

Comment

• They have used movie elements in the games. And creating a super powered protagonist like Muller is the cherry on top as far as Alice complaints are concerned.

Also how does a lack of action in horror media result at zombie staring for 90 minutes? Not even going to bother with this one.

But the games are becoming different and separating into this action format used in the movies. Giving comics as an example doesn't change the outlook. My Code Veronica example is that the game was nowhere near as action packed as the comic made it out to be. But it's funny because some of the action in those comics and movies are translating into the main series of games. That is what I have a problem with. I didn't complain about a CV comic outside the games because the actual CV game wasn't as over-exaggerated.

I'm not saying we need the same stuff all the time. But its true that if it's not broke then why bother fixing it? But let's say the game play is broken and there's no way to continue with it as is. If the solution is to change it entirely then maybe it's time to move on. Lay the series to rest as opposed to distancing what it once was. Capcom wouldn't hesitate to bring the series back to its roots if they felt they could profit heavily from it. At this point though that would be problematic when the outlook is the action crowd first and foremost. And quite a hearty bunch of gamers they are.

The game play is everything in a video game. Atmosphere is just a part of it that makes up the experience.

Comment

• They have used movie elements in the games.
                              Holy fuck, no way!? Series is ruined!!!!!

And creating a super powered protagonist like Muller is the cherry on top as far as Alice complaints are concerned.
                              Cry me a goddamn river, man. You're acting like these things are totally a sign that the movies are becoming the games and vice versa. Aren't you forgetting Wesker? And the fact that he was just a prelude to the super-powered protagonist in the original BH4? Both of which came out before Apocalypse? If anything it's just a delay. And you're acting like Muller is the only playable character.

But the games are becoming different and separating into this action format used in the movies. Giving comics as an example doesn't change the outlook. My Code Veronica example is that the game was nowhere near as action packed as the comic made it out to be. But it's funny because some of the action in those comics and movies are translating into the main series of games. That is what I have a problem with. I didn't complain about a CV comic outside the games because the actual CV game wasn't as over-exaggerated.
                              They aren't becoming different. They've followed a very natural evolution for 16 years. What do you want? The same gameplay from REmake spread out across 25 games? Good luck with that. The series having more action is nothing more than a natural change. It has ALWAYS had action. Some more than others, but generally it is a very action-packed franchise.

I'm not saying we need the same stuff all the time. But its true that if it's not broke then why bother fixing it? But let's say the game play is broken and there's no way to continue with it as is. If the solution is to change it entirely then maybe it's time to move on. Lay the series to rest as opposed to distancing what it once was. Capcom wouldn't hesitate to bring the series back to its roots if they felt they could profit heavily from it. At this point though that would be problematic when the outlook is the action crowd first and foremost. And quite a hearty bunch of gamers they are.
                              The series has been through two states of "broken". BH4 was the way it was because the series was failing and sales were dropping heavily. It's one of the greatest games ever and defined modern third-person shooters. When BH5 was released, many attacked it for being too similar to BH4 and not changing enough, and at the same time, not being "horror" enough. They addressed both of these in Revelations, and are continuing to do so in BH6 while offering something new that separates it from BH5 and Revelations. The series isn't broken as long as they keep refreshing it. I don't get offended as a fan just because I see action in a series that was always a sub-genre of action adventure.

The game play is everything in a video game. Atmosphere is just a part of it that makes up the experience.
                              Not how it works in the real world. There are many things that contribute to what constitutes "horror". SAW isn't horror just because it features a bunch of screaming cunts and torture. The atmosphere, sound, creature design and overall game design are what matters most to making a horror game. What makes the gameplay of REmake so horrifying aside from the fact that it's clumsy, out-dated and would sell poorly?

Comment

• Now you're just picking apart little sentences and throwing commentary about the real world without understanding where I'm coming from. And it's a chore to write to someone if we go by that GameFAQs manner of debating one another. I acknowledge Wesker as a super powered antagonist. But he wasn't why people hated Alice or the movie elements.

Comment

Working...
                                X