No announcement yet.

Resident Evil 6 Captivate Trailer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't mind action as long as it has horror. RE3 had an action soundtrack, felt more like a warzone than a survival horror.
    See you in hell.

Comment

• Originally posted by News Bot View Post
      It's going nowhere because your arguments have nowhere to go. You haven't provided any logical reasoning. Just a bunch of complaints about the movies that you're trying to flow over into the games. You exaggerate and then keep coming back to how the gameplay being changed up is a terrible tragedy that kills any chance of horror. Then when I point out that the series relies on certain elements for "horror", you come back with "gameplay is most important" without providing any actual explanation for what the fuck that even means. Clumsy controls and fixed cameras are not necessary to achieve horror.

If Muller's scenario is fun then I will love the fuck out of it. Just as I will love the horror in Leon's scenario and the action in Chris's scenario.
      My arguments are going somewhere. There's truth in the overwhelming rise of action in the game and the lack of fear because of it. Just cause they claim to be making a balance doesn't mean it will actually follow. RE4 was branded scary and so was RE5. Only now are they acknowledging fan reaction towards the lack of horror.

There's also truth in movie elements used in the games. My "logical reasoning" is more along the lines of fact right here. This is a fact. Characters mimicking the stylized action of the films. Direct references. Now we have a super powered protagonist. And you haven't explained why Alice is a shitty character. Just stating it is not logical reasoning on your end. I asked what the complaints were for her character. I can list them for you if you like and make parallels to the franchise. But then that would just come off as an over exaggeration right?

Well can't say I didn't try. If you love the action that's fine. But let's not fool ourselves into thinking this game is survival horror. There's still a definitive lack of horror from the promotional material. All we got our hints at Leon who makes up 1/3 of the game. And even then there's nothing he's doing in Tall Oaks that makes me think any less of RE4... But throw in more RE5 melee and zombie skinned majini for good measure.

Originally posted by Archelon View Post
      I don't understand how someone who has so vehemently defended a game like Operation Raccoon City can complain about the direction Resident Evil 6 is taking.

The fact that ORC is a spinoff and RE6 is a mainline title makes no difference.
      That's a silly way of looking at things. Spin offs by nature are all about branching off in their own direction. I didn't like Metal Gear Ac!d because I'm not a fan of that game play. But I'm all for Platinum Games making Metal Gear Rising and going their way about it. I can understand how someone defends Umbrella or Darkside Chronicles (even the Gun Survivor series) and still expect the main games to hold true to its own roots. If you can't that's your problem.
      Last edited by Smiley; 04-14-2012, 03:02 AM.

Comment

• My arguments are going somewhere. There's truth in the overwhelming rise of action in the game and the lack of fear because of it. Just cause they claim to be making a balance doesn't mean it will actually follow. RE4 was branded scary and so was RE5. Only now are they acknowledging fan reaction towards the lack of horror.

There's also truth in movie elements used in the games. My "logical reasoning" is more along the lines of fact right here. This is a fact. Characters mimicking the stylized action of the films. Direct references. Now we have a super powered protagonist. And you haven't explained why Alice is a shitty character. Just stating it is not logical reasoning on your end. I asked what the complaints were for her character. I can list them for you if you like and make parallels to the franchise. But then that would just come off as an over exaggeration right?

Well can't say I didn't try. If you love the action that's fine. But let's not fool ourselves into thinking this game is survival horror. There's still a definitive lack of horror from the promotional material. All we got our hints at Leon who makes up 1/3 of the game. And even then there's nothing he's doing in Tall Oaks that makes me think any less of RE4... But throw in more RE5 melee and zombie skinned majini for good measure.
        You arguments aren't going anywhere. Don't delude yourself with that. Especially your movie bitching which is completely unfounded. You're seeing a little bit of action and then trying to draw a connection to the games taking inspiration from the movies, even though CAPCOM themselves have said that if they had the chance to go back, they would ensure the movies were never made. Very few at CAPCOM enjoy the movies, the same way very few fans of the games enjoy the movies. You're acting like a laser room is the end of the fucking world. It's hilarious, but very annoying at the same time when it's the only thing you're basing your argument on. Alice is a bad character because she is devoid of personality and is simply a Mary Sue, among other things. This is common knowledge, I didn't see a need to explain it to you. The games pulled the superhuman card first, if anything, the movie draws parallels from the games and then fucks them up completely. The games also did cloning first. These are pretty big things, but you think a laser room and an in-name-only reference are some ground-breaking stuff.

You still haven't explained what you want from the games in terms of horror. Bringing up the old games constantly is really not a valid point. Do you want the series to revert to the gameplay from 1996? Or do you want general horror elements back? Because they already are back. Revelations returned to the horror atmosphere of previous games. BH6 is doing the same while being a much bigger overall project that's trying new things that look great.

Have you ever seen a trailer for any of the older games? Let me enlighten you. Oh look, here's more. And more.
        Last edited by News Bot; 04-14-2012, 06:20 AM.
        PROJECT Umbrella - The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium

Comment

• I Dislike over-used Action .... and prefer Horror , But ugh will RE6 Should Balance both , lets see we haven't got a game-play yet soo we cant judge ....
          Darkness : Tactical reload wasn't even in deadly silence LMAO
          ^ Lol ...

Comment

• Did the fact that they're still using VHS tapes in 2013 bug the hell out of anyone else?

Comment

• Originally posted by alexdz View Post
              Did the fact that they're still using VHS tapes in 2013 bug the hell out of anyone else?
              HD video tapes are pretty common.

HDCAM
              D-5 HD
              DVCPRO HD
              HDV

Take your pick.

A lot of CCTV and surveillance systems use them.
              Last edited by News Bot; 04-14-2012, 06:55 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by alexdz View Post
                Did the fact that they're still using VHS tapes in 2013 bug the hell out of anyone else?
                i thought that was strange to but maybe there a specific reason for it for all we know the footage they are watching is old maybe the c virus started years ago

Comment

• Originally posted by News Bot View Post
                  HD video tapes are pretty common.

HDCAM
                  D-5 HD
                  DVCPRO HD
                  HDV

Take your pick.

A lot of CCTV and surveillance systems use them.
                  Huh, I didn't know that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Headhunter99 View Post
                    i thought that was strange to but maybe there a specific reason for it for all we know the footage they are watching is old maybe the c virus started years ago
                    Makes snese , but it was Enchanced/Used now "in 2013" ....
                    Darkness : Tactical reload wasn't even in deadly silence LMAO
                    ^ Lol ...

Comment

• A bit of action? The over abundance is common knowledge to the recent games. And when you can make direct links to the movies then what reason is there to argue the idea it's deluded? Because you have a preference to the games? Sorry, but if there's a connection it'll be noted. How they were inspired to make such references and additions can only be found in the numbers and what kind of gamers they wish to bring in. It's hard for Capcom to deny the movies when a man like Kobayashi has his name attached to them. Not to mention the amount of money they make. I may not like the movies, but there is no denying that for a movie based on a video game the films have been very successful and attract attention. I could care less how well or poor they do, but when the games mimic the films and continue this progression then there's a sour outlook on what the games used to be about.

A laser room by itself is not the "end of the world" although adding them certainly is stupid given the overblown ways the characters in the games avoid each one. It's not so much that they ripped off a laser room, but how they execute it in a horror based game. In the movie the room itself showed a real tension that resulted in the deaths of half the cast. No one that was caught in the trap made it out. In the games they are portrayed as merely obstacles the characters can dive through and avoid with no fear in their outcome.

That's just one example that surprisingly is in the movie's favor.

So your explanation for Alice is that she's a bad character because she's a mary sue devoid of personality. The personality bit is debatable because despite being a model Milla Jovovich can act. Even in the films her entire role is subject to bringing down Umbrella with the same determination you'd get from Leon, Chris, Jill or Claire. She's sassy when she wants to be. Concerned for her friends. Direct when the situation calls for it. And she acts on her own terms. Difference from someone like Chris is that she worked for Umbrella and saw the error in her ways. As an individual from the rest of the film's cast she's a leading figure that rises to the occasion to keep the others in line.

This is merely a basic observation. So a lack of personality is probably the most minor complaint fans could have about her character or the specific of being a mary sue.

As far as "Mary Sue" goes I do recall a discussion we had previously regarding Jill and the other main cast. You "completely agreed" to the following post I made:

Doesn't matter. Her immunity to most of the viral infections out there makes (and the fact she herself was an experiment under control) makes her nearly close to Alice territory. All that's missing is the mind powers.

But News Bot's point shouldn't stop at just Jill. It raises a valid question about the future of this franchise. How do you make the games scarier again? It helps to have characters unfamiliar with what's happening and less experienced to go up against the situation. Like how Chris and Jill were in RE1. Despite being STARS they had no idea what they were getting into when they flew out that night. Now they're both prepared to take on any type of BOW.

This goes for Leon as well. Once a rookie officer unaware of what was going on in Raccoon city. Now he's a government agent assigned and specialized for these occasions.

Most of the supporting cast are made aware of BOWs and some like Parker have had their own past experience fighting them before joining a returning character. Exceptions like Steve and Ashley be damned.

So if we want to make these games more scary it does help to bring in a new threat that the protagonists are completely unprepared for. To the point where the object is to escape with their lives being the main priority. For that, I can't see a way to make this happen without sacrificing Leon, Chris, Jill and to a degree Claire.
                      And I still stand by that, even in RE6. Whatever threat they face, Chris is part of an organization that will seek it out and fight it. Leon will be assigned or represent his role as a Government agent to seek it out and fight it. They're fully trained and ready for these situations. Essentially the characters we like are in too deep. And the new characters coming into this will have their guidance in both story and game play to neutralize the threat.

Which brings us to main character number 3. Jake Muller. Joined along by Sherry Birkin the Government agent. He by himself would have been a great addition if handled more carefully. But if we fault Alice for being a Mary Sue we can't discard Jake.

The idea of playing Wesker's son tagging along with Birkin's daughter sounds in and of itself like fanfiction. Jake Wesker might as well be "Jake Snake" in the Fight of Metal Gears.

While he's a hardened character with a noticeable scar on his cheek (See: Alice with a scar on her shoulder) the character as displayed seems to lack any real flaws to him. He's overwhelmed by his super powerful stylistic combat abilities to the point where he's more than a match as opposed to the human characters who struggle more in fighting B.O.W.s Whether his powers make him one dimensional remains to be seen, but factoring Alice into the equation it could result in a rogue gone soft direction that offers at the very least a little depth, but not much when clouded with stylized action as displayed in the trailers. He's the Gary to Alice's Mary.

And while clones and super powered characters have been introduced anyone can see a severe difference in the way they were handled in the games. Cloning, while terrible, was handled in the background. Should never have been introduced because then it raises the absurdities of cloning key characters living or dead as a cop out.

Super powered character was Wesker as far as the games are concerned in their lineup of released titles. What they scrapped before doesn't matter to me so much as what they choose to keep in. Wesker as a villain is no different than Alexia or other super powered antagonists. He remained the most human looking, but as an antagonist her served his purpose being the over powered obstacle that the heroes needed to defeat against all odds. Different from a hero using powers to beat up a bunch of B.O.W. drones with over-the-top action that goes beyond what the human characters are already capable of.

I've said what I wanted from the old games before. It goes beyond just a "horror" setting. Keep in mind that this isn't a necessity for survival horror, but a preference based on the original games. The main games should have the same restrictions in game play that would sacrifice the overabundance of co-op, action and casual convenience the series has as of now. A single player experience works best in horror, and should not feel like you've got a helping hand to go through with you. A story that requires the characters to genuinely feel scared and unprepared to the point where you are concerned for their safety. Puzzles that challenge your brain and could cause you to go against your basic instincts and further explore your surroundings, even to the point of backtracking if you must. Facing obstacles that encourage avoiding more than confrontation with the exception of boss battles if combat is at all part of the game play. Restrictions in camera, aiming, ammunition, healing, item carrying and saving are also a factor to keep your mind focused and planning your next step.

I've found horror games with this combination to be more beneficial and rewarding when it comes to playing through a survival horror game. You might disagree, but that's how I've played the original games among others and found this to be enough of a standard. It's when you try to balance melee, action, more players, linearity and casual convenience that jumbles the format up into a complete mess.

I've seen the trailers. And I acknowledged before that the games had their share of action although not as overblown as the recent games. You're not seeing stylized violence from melee brawls to characters chewing up the scenery. Each trailer you've shown markets the characters shooting monsters and the chaos that ensues from the outbreak.

Comment

• Don't see why you're trying to claim Sherry is a bad thing. Fans of the series (especially older fans) have screamed for her to be included since 1998. She was always important to the series since BH3 in 1999, and CAPCOM made a point of stating this quite often. Even her most recent depiction in Darkside Chronicles states that she is important. Her being a government agent is the only real way her story could have worked out coherently, as her becoming an agent was a bargaining point for her freedom. Otherwise she'd still be under house arrest. We haven't seen how Muller factors into the story, but so far he makes complete sense (Albert/Alex's blood with the ability to adapt the viruses the series focuses on is a pretty big deal). He could be a test tube baby for all we know. Ragging on the story when you know dick about it just makes you look like you're grasping for straws.

And while clones and super powered characters have been introduced anyone can see a severe difference in the way they were handled in the games. Cloning, while terrible, was handled in the background. Should never have been introduced because then it raises the absurdities of cloning key characters living or dead as a cop out.
                        Yet you have no problem with this. They were deep in the background in MGS1 and MGS2. They powered the CODEC and a bunch of other small, miscellaneous shit. In MGS4 they are anything and everything. Double standards are fun.

I've said what I wanted from the old games before. It goes beyond just a "horror" setting. Keep in mind that this isn't a necessity for survival horror, but a preference based on the original games. The main games should have the same restrictions in game play that would sacrifice the overabundance of co-op, action and casual convenience the series has as of now. A single player experience works best in horror, and should not feel like you've got a helping hand to go through with you. A story that requires the characters to genuinely feel scared and unprepared to the point where you are concerned for their safety. Puzzles that challenge your brain and could cause you to go against your basic instincts and further explore your surroundings, even to the point of backtracking if you must. Facing obstacles that encourage avoiding more than confrontation with the exception of boss battles if combat is at all part of the game play. Restrictions in camera, aiming, ammunition, healing, item carrying and saving are also a factor to keep your mind focused and planning your next step.
                        So you admit to just wanting 1996 gameplay. Okay. Good luck with that. The only things there that are reasonable are puzzles and restriction on ammunition. The latter of which is only partly an issue. I have never went through a single game in the entire series and ended up with very little ammunition. In fact, I have an overabundance and don't have enough space to carry all of it. I also have an overabundance of healing items and end up having to try and balance the two. The only times I am ever truly short on ammo in this series is if I play on the highest difficulty, and that goes for BH4 and BH5 too. The only thing I would encourage is that enemies do not drop ammunition except in cases where the player is genuinely very short on them and the game is programmed to take notice. The player should be forced to search for it otherwise.
                        Last edited by News Bot; 04-14-2012, 07:58 AM.

Comment

• I do have a problem with cloning when it's used as a cop out. I never denied my preference to the original game play design which translated just fine in the Resident Evil remake that remains to date my favorite game in the series.

None of it is unreasonable either. It's only a problem if you're expecting the sales to reach that of a casual action shooter.

Edit: I never claimed Sherry being in the game was a bad thing. I disagree that making her a Government agent was the only direction they could have taken her.

Edit 2: I'm only basing this on what's revealed so far and the leak if it in fact is true that Ada has a clone. The story and game play might be the best that series ever had, but from what we're shown so far along with the leak it sounds like the horror is taking steps back.
                          Last edited by Smiley; 04-14-2012, 08:06 AM.

Comment

• How do you know it's used as a cop-out when you know literally nothing about the story? The game system featured in REmake is what killed the series. I like it too, but focusing on nostalgia and rose-tinted glasses doesn't mean it's ground-breaking or new.

Sherry being a government agent or working for the government in some capacity is the only direction they could have taken her. The reason she was taken into custody in the first place is because she knew too much (along with other reasons). Leon was forced to become an agent because he knew too much, he literally didn't have a choice. Sherry was forced to once they finished their research on her and she came of age.

Comment

• Oh, there are several other options for Sherry...new mad scientist, Patient Zero of a new strain of virus when the G mutates in her, brain whiped into thinking she's really Hannah Montanna...

Comment

• Like I said, I'm basing this on the idea Ada has a clone and the leak proves to be true. This late in the series introducing an Ada clone sounds very bad. And I rarely expect such an idea to work out for its story.

And no, I still don't buy the idea the U.S. Government would coerce her into being an agent herself. Coercing Leon with Sherry is one thing. With Sherry the idea here is the Government's plan to keep an eye on her is to set her loose doing missions for them.......... I'm giving you a moment to think about this. If the options are house arrest for life or servitude to the point where you are free to go out into the world to do missions for them they gave her the latter.

Comment

Working...
                                X