Resident Evil 6 Captivate Trailer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Smiley View Post
    Not sure if pun intended with the whole "under the same umbrella" reply. But nice work.

Jake's super human feats do not compliment a horror driven story. Nor does making him Wesker's son and pairing him with Birkin's trained daughter make for a plausible outcome. Sounds more like fan fiction.
    Horror in a resident evil game is completely over-rated by people to begin with. Ignoring the original, it's always leaned on conspiracy theorist plots about bio-engineering and world domination. That pretty much entails more action and less focus on horror right there. Not to mention, Jake and Sherry DO suit the modern tone of RE because the story's built around action and thriller-esque concepts and ideas. Not horror. For whatever reasons, some fans have a hard time understanding that. The series has had more of an action focus since arguably Code Veronica, or even RE3. People need to get over it. Capcom wants to make RE an action game? So what? My issue is whether they can deliver an actual decent game, and not just try to rest on the laurels of RE4, like RE5 did. Along with giving the story some real depth for once, instead of throwing hints around all over the place in weak attempts for the story to be "complex" and "meaningful."
    sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by valentinesdead? View Post
      Horror in a resident evil game is completely over-rated by people to begin with.
      BLASPHEMY! *lights a torch*

Comment

• Originally posted by valentinesdead? View Post
        Horror in a resident evil game is completely over-rated by people to begin with.

Comment

• Heh! Heh!.... WOW!
          Stuff to remember: Avoid forums if you're having a bad day.
          sigpic

Comment

• Actually I find that kind of sad how we've come to that point. One of the most well received horror games and now the horror is overrated. Personally, I'd like to think action might be overrated. Not just for the main RE series, but a lot of games in general.

For the record, you can display conspiracy theories and world domination without an overabundance of action. Just looking at how Alexia was handled in CV in contrast to her appearance in a much action oriented Darkside Chronicles shows me key differences. Same plot, different way of execution, pace and tone.

Kind of like how before Wesker became driven to infect the world with tentacle rape he was just a guy out for combat data. Nicholai and Ada certainly didn't act like the world was not enough in RE2 and RE3. There's more to the series if we took down all the over-blown action segments. Wouldn't make CoD sales, but why should it have to if it means distancing itself? I won't discount the original. That paved the series. There was a progression in horror, and it was REmake. I'll always be glad for that game.
            Last edited by Smiley; 04-15-2012, 12:37 AM.

Comment

• I don't believe that the horror in RE is overrated personally. I actually quite enjoy it and would love it back. (Hell, I'm going to be picking up Revelations as soon as I get a 3DS.) I do think that people do overrate it though as if it was the most terrifying thing ever.

I played most of the RE games growing up, so naturally I was terrified playing these games. I'm sure a good amount of people here were as well. However, now that we're older, it's harder to scare us. Atmosphere and cheap jump scares aren't enough anymore. It can certainly get me in a horror mood, but it doesn't make me dread going into the next room anymore or standing there onscreen for five minutes terrified to push a button. I actually haven't played a game like that for a very long time. Point is anyway, I feel as if people's nostalgia gets the best of them sometime when it comes to the old game's horror.

Don't get me wrong though, I would love if the RE games turned down the action and brought back the horror. Hell, Leon's campaign is the first one I'm playing when RE6 releases. However, they're going to need to do more than jump scares and a dark hallway to really achieve it.
              Last edited by Spera01; 04-15-2012, 12:48 AM.

Comment

• Even as an adult I still dread playing REmake in the dark. There's some recent games out there that have a few options available for casual convenience but are still very much horror driven games.

I was recommended to try Amnesia which is probably the scariest game I've encountered in a first person perspective. If we're going to change the game play around let's have a FPS minus the "s" as a primary factor. No action to keep it interesting. The lack of it actually raises the tension. The new Silent Hill Downpour has some casual elements, some that can be removed as an option, but it retains most of the elements that made earlier horror games and has been the best Silent Hill experience since the third game. That was a sequel that knew it had to take steps back and apply itself to what made the earlier games scary. It also took the scariest (more entertaining) pieces of the recent games and still applied them to induce fear into gamers.

None of these examples are going to cater to those expecting CoD or GoW. Their appeal is for fans of horror.
                Last edited by Smiley; 04-15-2012, 01:03 AM.

Comment

• The horror in the series has always been overrated, and people seem to constantly forget that fear is felt at different levels by different people. Most don't bat an eyelid at this series. The only horror aspects it has managed to maintain are an excellent atmosphere (which itself is created through great sound, music and designs) and great creature designs that actually make the player feel apprehensive about facing the enemy, and both go out the window quite regularly (Lord of the Rings troll). Mikami himself said that the series wasn't horror straight after the second game. Which was directed by an action director who hates horror. The first game is a lot slower and less action-packed than its successors, and along with its remake (which is more or less just a graphical upgrade) are the only true "horror" entries in the series. CODE:Veronica is the only other game that actually retains the characteristics of the first game and suddenly loses all of the improved, fluid gameplay mechanics of the other games. And this has also been stated by Mikami.
                  PROJECT Umbrella - The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium

Comment

• Originally posted by News Bot View Post
                    The horror in the series has always been overrated, and people seem to constantly forget that fear is felt at different levels by different people.
                    RE has horror elements in it regardless if anyone feels scared by them or not. Let's make that clear.

Two different ppl can watch Schindler's List and notice the horrific elements included in it. One could get terrified by them and the other could just go "meh, I've seen worse". The horror elements remain regardless.

Discussing if RE games are scary to YOU or someone else, well that's a whole 'nother topic. I personally don't find a lot of them scary at all. But I would be a fool to claim the games have no horror elements in them. I mean, it's not fucking Super Mario or some cheerful game like that where everything is safe and fun.
                    sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Pikminister View Post
                      RE has horror elements in it regardless if anyone feels scared by them or not. Let's make that clear.

Two different ppl can watch Schindler's List and notice the horrific elements included in it. One could get terrified by them and the other could just go "meh, I've seen worse". The horror elements remain regardless.

Discussing if RE games are scary to YOU or someone else, well that's a whole 'nother topic. I personally don't find a lot of them scary at all. But I would be a fool to claim the games have no horror elements in them. I mean, it's not fucking Super Mario or some cheerful game like that where everything is safe and fun.
                      That's what I was saying, haha.
                      PROJECT Umbrella - The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium

Comment

• Originally posted by News Bot View Post
                        That's what I was saying, haha.
                        My original post included that you had mentioned some of the Horror elements included in RE. But then you went on and on about other stuff... and I said nah... It's not necessary. He'll notice that the horror elements are there. And that being scared by them is something else.

And therefore, it makes no sense to claim something so subjective can be overrated. Since it all depends on each individual and stuff. How they react to it. And that was my point.
                        Last edited by Pikminister; 04-15-2012, 08:09 AM.
                        sigpic

Comment

• It's true that horror is subjective, but equally it's true that more people will find certain things scarier than others. Most people will zombies more terrifying than fluffy kittens, for example, but sometimes you'll get someone terrified by kitties.

Equally, I suspect more people are afraid of facing enemies that will make you one of them if they kill you with a limited arsenal in closed, tight corridors on your own than they are of facing ill equipped poor people with a friend and enough ammo to blow a hole in there tiny little moon.

Which is one of the plusses of RE6 so far...Leon's segments (back before Forced Co-Op) seemed pretty good, with the exception of his Penguin Powerslide. Forced Co-Op takes things down a notch or two, though. And somehow I doubt resources will be too limited - which can still work fine, if the enemies your facing mean you have to keep using them almost as fast as you expend them. If by Chapter 2 you have two shotguns, a grenade launcher and fifty rounds for each then probably not.

Comment

• Exactly, and given the broad environment of Raccoon City in RE2 and 3 they still maintained enough restrictions to keep the game scary. They layout itself was structured with wreckage that kept you going through narrow alleyways or underground sewers. The exploration through the RPD and city also made for item, weapon and ammo managing to keep you invested in the locations you were searching through. The camera positioned itself to deliver some eerie and spectacular shots that were open to some of the best "jump out of your couch" scares. And for most of it you were alone on that struggle. Not having your hand held by casual convenience or a second player. In those games they were all about wanting to escape the chaos.

Comment

• Just announced, RE6s demo comes out on July 3rd...so yeah... mark yer calenders and..stuff.

Comment

• I want some gameplay! Ahh... E3 is just around the corner. i'll get my high there.
                                sigpic
                                "So leon, why are you in RE6?... Well, Hunnigan... I needed to right... a Wong... YEEAAAAHHH!

Comment

Working...
                                X