No announcement yet.

RPD Dispatch 4 - Playing RE:CV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeah, sorry for the delay guys. I had no idea we we're going over 1-1:30, but it just happened. I gotta hit the sack now though, so night everyone.

Comment

• Good night, Dot. You'll probably be dreaming about the podcast

Comment

• wow! 3 hours, cant wait, need 2 clear room in the diary for this one lol

Comment

• I'll be listening while I'm lying in bed before falling asleep That's the only way to listen

Comment

• I'm editing it now. Not to hype it up or anything, but Gene's Degeneration segment was great. I feel like I've already seen the movie And we do give a spoiler warning before we start with the in-depth talk. Gene took notes, so he goes through practically the entire movie.

Comment

• sounds great. How long roughly would u say before its up?
              "I've got 100 cows."
              "Well I've got 104 friends."

Comment

• Roughly, I'd guess you guys got another 2 hours at the least, 3 hours from now at the very max. We also discuss the trailers at the very end of the news segment, and Gene reveals some interesting stuff that was shown at a new 5 trailer that was shown just before Degeneration
                Last edited by Dot50Cal; 10-19-2008, 01:20 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dot50Cal View Post
                  Roughly, I'd guess you guys got another 2 hours at the least, 3 hours from now at the very max. We also discuss the trailers at the very end of the news segment, and Gene reveals some interesting stuff that was shown at a new 5 trailer that was shown just before Degeneration
                  How much interesting? Anything regarding the plot? Jill? Birwoman? Spencer?

Comment

• Lol, I dunno if I could sit through 3 hours of a podcast. I have a hard enough time sitting through a 3 hour football/baseball game without changing the channel. I'll give it a try, I guess...I wanna hear about Degeneration.

Comment

• Originally posted by ChrisRedfield29 View Post
                      Lol, I dunno if I could sit through 3 hours of a podcast. I have a hard enough time sitting through a 3 hour football/baseball game without changing the channel. I'll give it a try, I guess...I wanna hear about Degeneration.
                      Look at it this way, you can always do other stuff while listening to the podcast in the background.

Comment

• Originally posted by Archelon View Post
                        Look at it this way, you can always do other stuff while listening to the podcast in the background.
                        Ehm... I'm not english... I have to pay attention to the podcast if i want to understand something...

Comment

• 3 hours was a bit presumptuous. It looks like the final version will be around 2:30ish. But I'll mark the timecodes for people if they want to skip around to various segments.

Comment

• Still good

Comment

• UP!

Comment

• I finally finished listening back through the podcast.
                                As I was playing the game I was taking notes, which I sent to the guys a day or two before the show, so they could get an idea what I wanted to talk about.

When discussing the run-down, we went through most of these, but a few we didn't bring back up when we recorded the main show. So I'll just copy and paste them here.

Gene's thoughts on CODE: Veronica
                                ---------------------------------

+ Excellent in-game cut scenes (1st bandersnatch. Tyrant on the road entrance)
                                + If you have a full inventory, and find a healing item. You can use it w/o taking it into your inventory.
                                + Return of 3D inventory items. Checking items to solve puzzles. Generally done well.
                                + 'Hidden ammo packs'. So items you can only see from a certain camera angle, or in a cinematic. The problem is the item is only ever a pack of handgun rounds.

- Animations quite poor, esp when compared to RE3 (which were recycled from 1.5). Climbing animation, 'danger' limping animation, zombies (esp when they are fast) animations stand out as the worst.
                                - Reusing of Biohazard 2 sound effects. Very noticable.
                                - Character models don't change when you get the sidepack. Even in RE2 they did.
                                - Press to climb stairs. Even 1 or 2 steps. (as opposed to Biohazard 3)
                                - Zombie stabbed with the sword, can chase you through the door. AFAIK the only monster that can pass through a door.
                                Compared to Dino Crisis and Biohazard 3.
                                - Certain slowed down door animations to build MORE tension? Doesn't really work. The door openings do it enough as they are.
                                - Final boss is just an excercise in frustration. (Ganged by little things, then shooting Alexia first person).
                                - Disc 1. Exploring the Palace, small mansion, airport, military training facility, and prison at once means soooo much back tracking. Chris' part seems to be much more straightforward.

-Steve isn't very likable. NOT ONCE does he help Claire. He's a constant drain on her. Getting trapped, smashing toxic gas pipes. I don't know why she falls for him, and then at the end, his reversion from his mutation, to utter 'I love you', is terrible. The earlier scenes in the game HAVEN'T swayed you towards liking Steve for this scene to be effective. IMO this is a HUGE fuck up in the narrative.

The theme of family. Of course Steve doesn't place trust in people. Which is an obvious contrast to the solidarity of Claire and Chris. And yet Alexia and Alfred totally undermine this statement.
                                "Family is good. Except if you're an absolute nutcase?!" - I think it was a bold thing to try pull of, but it really fell flat on it's face.

General notes
                                -------------
                                Items left with Claire aren't accessible.
                                A good friend of mine gave up on the game (after my explicit recommendation of the Resident Evil series), because Claire had all the good guns, and he found it tough with Chris.
                                Chris doesn't have to kill any bosses aside from Alexia (Albinoid, giant spider and gulp worm can all be run past). But of course being new to the series, my friend had no idea.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                And I finally got to listen to the bloopers to the show too.
                                There was a point where Dot said something like "This CVX part is already 50 minutes! (Which was only edited for errors, not content) I'm gonna have to edit this down!", and then I said "Edit it down, and then in a full months release the full thing as Podcast #4 X". Only the second line made the bloopers, so it sounds really forced and lame. Oh well.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X