Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Originally posted by randomwab View Post
      Oh, Sam Lake. Why has Remedy forsaken me?

Comment

New trailer- Alan Wake: Building the Thriller

And some GIFs from the trailer:
        Spoiler:

The game looks marvellous. I so want to play it.
        Last edited by Mr_Zombie; 04-07-2010, 10:55 AM.

Comment

This trailer has so many .gif worthy shots.

Glad to hear some more Poets of the Fall.

I also find it funny that Wake runs and holds weapons very similar to Payne.

Where is that Sam Lake gif from?
          Last edited by BBboy20; 04-08-2010, 05:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by doomed View Post
            Oh and they release screenshots of the editor running on Windows only to make me even more angry..
            What did you expect to be their development environment? That they were still using those daisy chained G5 macs that some people were using for preliminary 360 development?

Originally posted by randomwab View Post
            He looks so... Finnish...

Anyway, even though the game looks spectacular in general (and unlike before, I fear I might actually grab this on day 1), the facial animation still looks kinda "meh" to me in all footage that's been shown. The lip sync seems so basic and the facial mocap/animation appears to be almost non-existent at times.
            Last edited by Carnivol; 04-08-2010, 08:20 AM. Reason: Hoping it's just a case of poorly selected promo footage (or incomplete stuff)

Comment

Originally posted by Carnivol View Post
              Anyway, even though the game looks spectacular in general (and unlike before, I fear I might actually grab this on day 1), the facial animation still looks kinda "meh" to me in all footage that's been shown. The lip sync seems so basic and the facial mocap/animation appears to be almost non-existent at times.

Comment

Originally posted by BBboy20 View Post
                Where is that Sam Lake gif from?
                From the "Harry Garrett Show" movie ;)
                Here's the teaser: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ao3mFxeGZw
                The full thing is on Alan Wake's facebook page (there's a link under the teaser).

Originally posted by Carnivol
                the facial animation still looks kinda "meh" to me in all footage that's been shown. The lip sync seems so basic and the facial mocap/animation appears to be almost non-existent at times.
                Yeah, the facial animation is off in many scenes.
                However, it is said that Remedy hired CaptiveMotion to do facial animation, and the company completed the work on it somewhere around February. So maybe it's just that this footage is from an old version or something. Because, for example, while the facial animation when Barry is talking (the "I'm his manager") is really simple, the mouth animation when that guy with glasses calms down policemen looks much better.

Anyway, here's a demo of what Embody, the capture system that CaptiveMotion is using, can do:
                http://www.captivemotion.com/This animation was created using CaptiveMotion's Embody technology. The model and textures were scanned by Eyetronics Media & St...

So it would make no sense if, while CaptiveMotion has such great system for facial mocap, they would end up with using simple facial animation in Alan Wake.
                Last edited by Mr_Zombie; 04-08-2010, 10:01 AM.

Comment

The first 12 minutes of the game.

Still kinda on the fence about this one.

Comment

I have mixed feelings.

On one hand I love the atmosphere (especially how the opening starts with Stephen King's quote), although it's really cheesy sometimes. Spoiler:

The game looks great, but the weird facial animation is unfortunately still there :/. I really like the music, it's beautiful. I'm not sure about the gameplay though. At the moment it looks just ok. Those 12 minutes were just a tutorial, so again, maybe it will be better later on.

Comment

Originally posted by Carnivol View Post
                      What did you expect to be their development environment? That they were still using those daisy chained G5 macs that some people were using for preliminary 360 development?
                      I didn't expect anything else, obviously.
                      I just get very annoyed at the thought that I won't be able to play the game despite the fact that it was initially a PC title by a PC developer.

Comment

Alan Wake Reviews

Eurogamer: 7/10
                        1UP: B+
                        IGN: 9/10
                        Gametrailers: 8.6/10
                        sigpic

Comment

For a game in general, it's a good mix of reviews BUT for a game that has been in development as long as it has, it's not great reviews.

Comment

I don't think it's fair to associate dev time with review scores, by that logic Too Human should have been a god send :p

the game's getting good reviews across the board, but just based on the gameplay media I can see how some elements (like shining the light on enemies before actually shooting them) can get boring and repetitive fast, i'm baking on a good story experience through out at least.
                            Last edited by A-J; 05-06-2010, 06:45 AM.

Comment

I think it's exceptionally fair actually.

The more time any developer has to spend on their product should mean they have more time to work on all the potential issues.

As far as Too Human, that's more the fault of the dev's shooting their mouths off before finally getting around to releasing the game than their lack of direct polish alone affecting the final product.

The exact case in point exists when there are teams out there who manage to make games in less than 2 years that review better and work their butts off to do it. If you're given the pure luxury of taking your sweet ass time, you're just expected to bring something better to the table. Fair and simple.
                              Last edited by Rombie; 05-06-2010, 10:02 AM.

Comment

well at least it's OUT :p

anyone here got it yet ?
                                Last edited by A-J; 05-07-2010, 07:50 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X