Beta Games website

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Helegad View Post
    Goddamn. Are they your discs? They would be worth a fortune.
    No, those are pictures i found from the site the beta came from. The torrent is dead but on the messages boards i found some megaupload links.
    Even though it's a beta, i don't think there will be any noticeable differences with the final version. It's just a beta of the US version.
    Though i wonder if there is any debug stuff left in this beta... (VII and VIII had debug rooms in final).
    Last edited by Orin; 08-08-2008, 05:12 AM.

Comment

It says on the discs that it's 70-80% complete. There has to be some differences.

Comment

I figured since it was a beta of the US version, the game was already complete. The 70-80% could be how complete the localization and testing was.
        Comparing Disc 1 of the beta and Disc 1 of whatever version i have (XD), the beta's FF9.img is 2kb larger. The PSX-EXE is same size but different.

If anyone wants to check for themselves...
        Disc1 - http://www.megaupload.com/?d=EGKZ6E7D
        Disc2 - http://www.megaupload.com/?d=83MCOR5A

Comment

I can't tell. But I'll put it on my site one day anyway. Maybe next week when my quota is reset.

Comment

Apparently there is a beta of TR:Chronicles around, anyone know about that?

Comment

No... I haven't heard about that... I'll look into it. Thanks for the heads up!

Comment

You can't get past The Deck on the TR2 beta, and i don't know how to get the level skip cheat to work (cause i can't sidestep)

Comment

I'm unsure whether cheats would work anyway. A lot of betas have the cheats disabled, or it hasn't even been implemented yet.

On The Deck, you can't get past the level because the switch doesn't trigger the fan, right? I'm working off what I've heard, I haven't played it much myself (I'm going through the final PS1 versions at the moment if you haven't heard )

If you want to sidestep however, you hold R2 and press left or right. At least that's how it is on the final.

Comment

I know how to sidestep, it just doesn't work And what happens is, early in the level when you drain the stern and pull the block out, the passage just leads to a dead end (at 5:30 in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9OZ1hIm_eM)

And the cheats are all there i think, i can make her blow up for what good that does Sucks, i got this far using only the pistols!

Comment

Hmmm. I'd be interested to find out what this beta was used for, because of the passage leading to the dead end. Obviously, Core wouldn't have cared about an unfinished and unstable passage if they used this beta themselves, so they blocked off access because they were going to give this beta out to someone, for preview purposes. I wonder who, though...

Comment

The FFIX beta is missing 2 disks, just a heads up. I know the guy that owns them personally, and he does have all 4 ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Helegad View Post
                          Hmmm. I'd be interested to find out what this beta was used for, because of the passage leading to the dead end. Obviously, Core wouldn't have cared about an unfinished and unstable passage if they used this beta themselves, so they blocked off access because they were going to give this beta out to someone, for preview purposes. I wonder who, though...
                          The whole game is there, i suppose you could skip if you rebuilt the ISO and renamed the next level to the deck level, chances are it would just crash though.

I actually have a feeling i have a pressed bootleg of this beta around somewhere, i definitely have a pressed silver bootleg of the game somewhere (labeled Tomb Raide 2)

EDIT - Ok i got the sidestep to work (stupid me was pressing the wrong button) and the cheats aren't there, only exploding Lara. Pointless! So, it ends on The Deck even though the rest of the game is there.
                          Last edited by rewak; 08-10-2008, 11:16 PM.

Comment

The FFIX beta is missing 2 disks, just a heads up. I know the guy that owns them personally, and he does have all 4 ;)
                            Any chance you could upload the other two disc?
                            I'm a blackstar.

Comment

Borman, are you sure? I was under the impression it was a preview without 4 total discs.

Comment

Borman, kill him if you have to! Get those discs!

Rewak, the rename-the-level technique worked in the early PC alpha. Are you playing on an emulator? Just extract all the ISO files, rename the necessary one, and rebuild it.

(What's always bugged me is that I thought that TR2 was for PS1 originally. But seeing the early alpha for PC, it seems it was developed for PC then ported over to PSX...)
                                Last edited by Helegad; 08-11-2008, 01:04 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X