X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sega Mega Drive Ultimate Collection.
    sigpic

Comment

• so you hate the fact that i like getting trophies after i play the game? Getting trophies for me is fun cause it gives me replay value on a game besides i like getting them,and yes i do play the games for fun. I wouldnt have bought them if i wasnt gonna have fun with them if i didnt want to have fun i would have rented it.

Comment

• Originally posted by ChrisRedfield29 View Post
        Sorry. I just dislike what some gamers have become these days. They play it for the trophies/achievements and not for the fun. When did people stop playing games for fun and start playing them for 'cred'?
        I'm sorry, but your comments are extremely narrow minded and elitist, so allow me to give you a reality check.

I seem to have missed the part where you dictate how everyone should play their games, have fun with said games and how to treat their games. These people remind me of the "my way or the highway" group, or any other group of people that is completely intolerant to individuals doing things different.

I collect trophies and achievements, and I have an awesome time with it. I love doing it, it's a ton of fun, and I've never had this much fun with games before in all my 20+ years of gaming. Not only that, it gives my games more replay value, I've learned to try more genres causing a more varied library of games in my possession, and it's caused me to meet a ton of friends and other people I find interesting. Every single game on my trophy list is a game I had fun with. Either by myself, or with friends. It's a personal satisfaction to unlock platinums, and there is nothing wrong with that at all.

Which brings me to the following. People that collect trophies have nothing to do with "e-peen". It's about the human nature of enjoyment in collecting something. Be it stamps, stickers, coca-cola products or in this situation; trophies/achievements. It's the completionist inside people, and they enjoy to finish something completely and get the most out of their purchases. Perhaps some people will care about your beloved "e-peen", but that's no different than CoD4 leaderboards, or anything else that requires competition in life. Person A will perform and/or act out something in life to beat Person B. Welcome to human nature 101. Your argument is completely invalid and rings a mute bell.

You conclude that we don't have fun with said games because we enjoy collecting trophies and/or achievements. This causes me to counter-conclude that all you can do is judge situations based on your own personal preference and perspective, which indicates a narrow minded approach to life, which will only result in failure in the long run. Be a little more open minded, and accept/respect those that simply play and enjoy games slightly different than you do. Just because you don't like to collect them doesn't mean everyone else shouldn't either.

Comment

• Just my two cents: games shouldn't need achievements to garner replay value. Old-school games don't have achievements/trophies and I can play the hell out of them. I can see where people are coming from when they try to get all the achievements/trophies, I just don't usually go after them myself. I play the games "for fun". That's more or less all the replay value I need.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sinclair View Post
            I'm sorry, but your comments are extremely narrow minded and elitist, so allow me to give you a reality check.

I seem to have missed the part where you dictate how everyone should play their games, have fun with said games and how to treat their games. These people remind me of the "my way or the highway" group, or any other group of people that is completely intolerant to individuals doing things different.

I collect trophies and achievements, and I have an awesome time with it. I love doing it, it's a ton of fun, and I've never had this much fun with games before in all my 20+ years of gaming. Not only that, it gives my games more replay value, I've learned to try more genres causing a more varied library of games in my possession, and it's caused me to meet a ton of friends and other people I find interesting. Every single game on my trophy list is a game I had fun with. Either by myself, or with friends. It's a personal satisfaction to unlock platinums, and there is nothing wrong with that at all.

Which brings me to the following. People that collect trophies have nothing to do with "e-peen". It's about the human nature of enjoyment in collecting something. Be it stamps, stickers, coca-cola products or in this situation; trophies/achievements. It's the completionist inside people, and they enjoy to finish something completely and get the most out of their purchases. Perhaps some people will care about your beloved "e-peen", but that's no different than CoD4 leaderboards, or anything else that requires competition in life. Person A will perform and/or act out something in life to beat Person B. Welcome to human nature 101. Your argument is completely invalid and rings a mute bell.

You conclude that we don't have fun with said games because we enjoy collecting trophies and/or achievements. This causes me to counter-conclude that all you can do is judge situations based on your own personal preference and perspective, which indicates a narrow minded approach to life, which will only result in failure in the long run. Be a little more open minded, and accept/respect those that simply play and enjoy games slightly different than you do. Just because you don't like to collect them doesn't mean everyone else shouldn't either.
            I never said what not to do with games. If you like buying games just for Trophies, go for it, but that doesn't mean I'm gonna agree with it...and that's all I did, I disagreed. I just dislike when people flaunt their GamerScore or Trophy Level like it's a real achievement.

I agree that Achievements/Trophies add some level of replay value and they're fun for what they are, and depending on the game, I will replay through them to get a few Trophies(one example being RE5). My big problem is with the people who buy the games simply for the Achievements. For example, when I read a post like this...

Originally posted by nemesiswontdie View Post
            Wolfenstein 3D from the PSN store.

hurray for trophies
            ...what else am I supposed to think?

Comment

I never said what not to do with games. If you like buying games just for Trophies, go for it, but that doesn't mean I'm gonna agree with it...and that's all I did, I disagreed. I just dislike when people flaunt their GamerScore or Trophy Level like it's a real achievement.
              He never flaunted his trophies. He merely said he got them, and saw it as a gaming achievement - not some life-time achievement award. This is a gaming forum, so why is his comment so out of place? You nag at a car show when people talk about cars and their car-related achievements? You just have a bug up your ass about trophies and achievements, so you'll single out anyone who makes a remote mention of enjoying them.

Originally posted by ChrisRedfield29 View Post
              I agree that Achievements/Trophies add some level of replay value and they're fun for what they are, and depending on the game, I will replay through them to get a few Trophies(one example being RE5). My big problem is with the people who buy the games simply for the Achievements. For example, when I read a post like this...

You're supposed to think that this person enjoys collecting trophies, so he gets the same, if not more, enjoyment out of a videogame as you do. What's so wrong with that in your eyes? Have you ever considered the fact that he has FUN getting those trophies? Or is it a forbidden kind of fun because you don't agree with it? People are different, so respect each other's differences. Just because we don't play or enjoy games in the same way you do doesn't make our methods any less valid. Just different.

Videogames are meant for fun - nothing else. Not to be played and enjoyed in one way and one way only. I don't care if the person buys a game because he or she loves the box art, because he or she loves the bonus disc that comes with it, the trophies/achievements or the fact it makes a nice Frisbee. If the person has fun with his purchase, in whatever way, it was a worthy purchase at that.

I don't "disagree" or "devalue" your method of playing games, so you can quit looking down on me and other trophy/achievement collectors now.
              Last edited by Sinclair; 07-18-2009, 02:09 PM.

Comment

maybe that i like to collect trophies hmmm?

Comment

• Alright. No one is going to budge and this is going nowhere fast, so, I'll be the one to end it. We're getting kind of off-topic now, anyway.

I'm still playing inFamous. I actually haven't played it in a couple days...hmmm...
                  Last edited by Vector; 07-18-2009, 03:15 PM.

Comment

• trophies/ and achievements are good for only one thing - replay value. they don't benefit you in any other way, they don't earn you rewards (and if they do, its a rare choice), they don't enter you in contests, they're just numbers/ objects that show off what you've accomplished in a game. it isn't a new feature, as many games have had this before, but it is different because now its broadcasted worldwide for everyone's viewing instead of just your own.

sometimes, i would just want to play a game without knowing that i'll be achieving or unlocking one soon, just the ability to turn them off as a menu option. but now they are forced upon us, since every game contains them for the 360, and now for every PS3 game (when they used to be an option for the developers).

they're kind of boring, especially since it takes no skill for some games to acquire them. Games like Fallout 3 and Oblivion require alot of work, which makes them more rewarding for those types of games.
                    Facebook | Myspace | PlayStation | Raptr | Steam | Twitter | Xbox Live | Xfire | Youtube

Comment

• I'm a retired gamer now. Other priorities have taken over.
                      See you in hell.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr. Spencer View Post
                        I'm a retired gamer now. Other priorities have taken over.
                        yeah i think i'm gettin' there, i haven't touched game in like 6 weeks. my PS3 and Wii are broken and i don't even care.
                        Facebook | Myspace | PlayStation | Raptr | Steam | Twitter | Xbox Live | Xfire | Youtube

Comment

• Originally posted by Canas Renvall View Post
                          Just my two cents: games shouldn't need achievements to garner replay value. Old-school games don't have achievements/trophies and I can play the hell out of them. I can see where people are coming from when they try to get all the achievements/trophies, I just don't usually go after them myself. I play the games "for fun". That's more or less all the replay value I need.
                          I agree with this. I don't think a game needs Trophy's to have replay value. There's nothing wrong with a game if they do, but for me personally Trophy's don't add much to the game.

Something that does add a lot of replay value for me though is great gameplay.

Originally posted by Branden_Lucero View Post
                          sometimes, i would just want to play a game without knowing that i'll be achieving or unlocking one soon, just the ability to turn them off as a menu option. but now they are forced upon us, since every game contains them for the 360, and now for every PS3 game (when they used to be an option for the developers).
                          Me too.

I wish you could turn them off, because I hate when I'm in a cutscene or focusing on something in game, then a pop up comes up on screen, making a distraction while I try to either read or ignore it. I think, they should just tell you at the end of a mission. But in games like Dead Space I think it hurts the mood and atmosphere of the game.

This is also why I only sign in on PSN when playing online, if I'm playing single player I sign out cause I hate it when messages pop op going *random person has signed in*. It's annoying.

Comment

• played Resident Evil 5 with my girlfriend, she's not a video game person at all and seeing her play the game was so cute, she'd run, turn slowly, then run again lol.

Comment

• Originally posted by missvalentine View Post
                              I agree with this. I don't think a game needs Trophy's to have replay value. There's nothing wrong with a game if they do, but for me personally Trophy's don't add much to the game.

Something that does add a lot of replay value for me though is great gameplay.

Me too.

I wish you could turn them off, because I hate when I'm in a cutscene or focusing on something in game, then a pop up comes up on screen, making a distraction while I try to either read or ignore it. I think, they should just tell you at the end of a mission. But in games like Dead Space I think it hurts the mood and atmosphere of the game.

This is also why I only sign in on PSN when playing online, if I'm playing single player I sign out cause I hate it when messages pop op going *random person has signed in*. It's annoying.
                              Well, on Xbox 360, you can turn off those notifications and those messages won't come up.

I don't know about PS3 though.

But, I will tell everyone now that I WAS playing COD WaW, mostly the Nazi zombies.

But I'm in Canada right now, so no games for me right now. But I don't really mind.

On top of WaW, even more so, Clock Tower for the SNES and Resident Evil 2.

I can't believe I actually get scared in Clock Tower. I really do. I play it on an emulator as well, so I can max out the screen and quality/resolution.

Comment

• Ive been playing more of Haunting Ground and I love this game so much already.

Daniella is a really interesting character I think, and the cutscenes are so well done and acted. The facial expressions seem to be of better quality than on some games that actually got Mo Cap facial expressions.

I love Daniella's crazy laugh.

I love the artwork and level design as well, it's a very creative game. I wish capcom made more games like this. There better at Horror than they are at action.

Comment

Working...
                                X