Silent Hill: Shattered dreams announced for wii

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rombie View Post
    The original game dictated that the stuff falling from the sky was snow... because it was a point that it was snowing off season. So they've gone with that original point. Silent Hill limited it to a light dusting of snow and frosty-icy grass (which crunches underfoot).
    I get that, but it just seems like a bit of a huge jump between light snow and ice/frost on the streets. I mean, as you said; it was light snow. At no point did we even see a bit of snow lying on the ground. But they have stated that they are trying to go with something new, so sure.

I just don't get why they even need to do a reimagining of the first title at all. As a few people have said on here, the only reason people wanted Silent Hill remade was because of the story. If you’re changing that so dramatically, why not just make a new game? I can’t help but feel that they needed to start from the ground up with this one, especially when you’re doing as many new things with the series as they are.

I can’t help but feel that the two teams who developed the last two Silent Hill games, Climax and Double Helix, have missed out on something with there stories. In my opinion, both games were trying to emulate Silent Hill 2’s story to some degree, but I think that the main reason they failed was because both games felt they needed some tie to the previous games in the series, something that Silent Hill 2 didn’t do.

Silent Hill 2 didn’t include anything to do with Alessa or the birth of a God, the most prominent story points from Silent Hill 1. You were in a different location within Silent Hill, and the Otherworld was different, being based off of James instead of Alessa. It was a sequel, but in the loosest terms; something familiar yet different.

Both Origins and Homecoming started with Silent Hill 2 as there template, presumably because it’s the most highly regarded title in the series. They set the base, that this is a story of guilt. But then, they feel that they need to tie it back to pieces from other Silent Hill games, which begins to weigh the story down.

What I’m trying to say is that I had hoped that someone had picked up on this by now, and that a new Silent Hill title would be stand alone in a sense, like Silent Hill 2 was and still is. There’s so much untapped story potential in looking at who the town calls to, and why.

Still, better a reimagining than a remake. For now, I remain cautiously optimistic.

Comment

Rombie, does the story of this game totally differ from the original? Or just an alternate interpretation? (eg the basic element are still there like him looking for his daughter in an odd town etc)

A remake overwrites an original, but they can go wild with reinmagine. Its not a spinoff, but that doesn't mean it makes the PSX vers non-canon. In this case, its more like an alternate world, so the characters in this game are not the same as the original to me.

I've mixed feeling for this. I don't really like the total lack of combat here, because its gonna get annoying if all you can do is to just run. In Haunting Ground, at least you can summon Hewie or kick the stalkers with your boots.
      Last edited by xfactor; 04-02-2009, 06:55 AM.

Comment

Random - much in the way everything else is skewed, it's just not surprising they'd do this as well. I guess they saw the unseasonable snow as one of the key elements of what made SH1 different than the other titles after it and ran with it.

As for everything else you said, specifically about making Homecoming and Origins mostly based on SH2's thematic and general appeal... I can't agree more (and in fact more or less said as much in AJ's topic regarding the sales about how Homecoming in particular is almost parody level of Silent Hill's "greatest moments" with the movie added into to boot). I guess the fact the developers constantly citing Silent Hill 2, especially in it's character development and relationships, as a goal probably makes that fairly obvious though.

But yeah, instead of just taking the concept of the town and making something different around it - like 2 - , they're just attempting to emulate elements from the earlier games. Which almost seems contradictory when you think about it. We want to copy the things it did right, but miss the best thing it did right and not have the game connected to the first in anything but general location (and a UFO ending). If this is because they want to try and please the fans or are two scared to deviate I dunno, but in any case it's having the opposite effects on the series - critically and commercially, and seems to be doing more damage to the fanbase than good.

Xfactor - The way they're playing some of the elements wouldn't work unless key points are changed, and they do say that elements have been changed greatly so while somethings will start as familiar they won't come to the same conclusion. In just the stuff mentioned in the article such as the fact the opening is altered (although the basic setup of crash - missing daughter has stayed), but you don't meet Cybil the way you originally did (they almost make it sound like you may only sometimes meet her depending on your actions), that there are more humans doing day-to-day stuff in Silent Hill, etc. etc.... those sorts of things seems to imply those sorts of major changes to not just gameplay but plot, pacing, and location as well.

How to put it.... I guess saying it's definitely not a remake of the original at all in a strict sense like Twin Snakes to MGS or REmake to Resident Evil... the way they talk about it in the interview is like what Zach Snyder's 2004 "remake" of Dawn of the Dead was to George A. Romero's 1978 original.

They talk about the question session to set the game to the individual in the idea that Silent Hill won't just affect the character, but will affect you. Someone said it, maybe in this topic, or the other... but the name of the game does almost imply that your memories of the original will be entirely shattered apart by what's in this new version. On top of this given the drastic changes over the original made to the stuff they can talk about.... combat especially... I expect we're definitely seeing some major alterations take place.
        Last edited by Rombie; 04-02-2009, 10:22 AM.

Comment

-The developer wants the game to be as immersive as possible. "When you want to check on something in the environment, for example, you simply fix your view on it rather than press a button, and instead of text appearing on screen, Harry comments vocally." (MARl0 note: This sounds really awesome!)
          That won't get annoying at all, having no control over him telling you exactly whats in front of you all the time

-The static noise comes out of the Wii Remote now. It also acts as your cell phone. "Just as we're starting to feel sufficiently uncomfortable, the Wii Remote rings and nearly scares us out of our seats." "There's no response when we answer this particular call, so we hang up and try the first thing that comes to mind: dial 911. An emergency dispatcher actually picks up, her voice emanating from the Wii Remote speaker, but she can't hear Harry and eventually hangs up. Looks like we're on our own."
          A cell phone that randomly rings? Remember Dead Rising, how irritating that got?

-Combat has been completely removed from the game. "Instead, you have no choice but to flee, which proves considerably more terrifying."
          So it's a hide-and-seek stealth type game, pathetic. Like i said before, bye bye Silent Hill.

Comment

Xfactor - The way they're playing some of the elements wouldn't work unless key points are changed, and they do say that elements have been changed greatly so while somethings will start as familiar they won't come to the same conclusion. In just the stuff mentioned in the article such as the fact the opening is altered (although the basic setup of crash - missing daughter has stayed), but you don't meet Cybil the way you originally did (they almost make it sound like you may only sometimes meet her depending on your actions), that there are more humans doing day-to-day stuff in Silent Hill, etc. etc.... those sorts of things seems to imply those sorts of major changes to not just gameplay but plot, pacing, and location as well.

How to put it.... I guess saying it's definitely not a remake of the original at all in a strict sense like Twin Snakes to MGS or REmake to Resident Evil... the way they talk about it in the interview is like what Zach Snyder's 2004 "remake" of Dawn of the Dead was to George A. Romero's 1978 original.
            Yah...exactly. Its not a remake like I've said. Its a different take on the game.

Comment

enhanced remake then ?

Comment

I'm not sure how I feel. I like some of the things they've decided to do, but I want to wait until I see something other than screenshots before I make an opinion about it.

Comment

Originally posted by xfactor View Post
                  Yah...exactly. Its not a remake like I've said. Its a different take on the game.
                  And what's the point of that, given that the original view was pretty damn perfect as it was?

Comment

They talk about the question session to set the game to the individual in the idea that Silent Hill won't just affect the character, but will affect you. Someone said it, maybe in this topic, or the other... but the name of the game does almost imply that your memories of the original will be entirely shattered apart by what's in this new version. On top of this given the drastic changes over the original made to the stuff they can talk about.... combat especially... I expect we're definitely seeing some major alterations take place.
                    It's something that needed to happen to this series, and I think most die hard fans are going to have to accept this. It may sound weird coming from myself, seeing as I'm usually very vocal about how much I have disliked the games Team Silent didn't work on, but that was simply because they were, in my opinion, making a shameless "Greatest Hits" package as you put it Rombie.

The series needed to reinvent itself, not only because it had become stale, but because the genre itself had evolved. I think it was telling that by Silent Hill 3, Team Silent knew they were in danger of running the series into the ground, and attempted to mix it up with Silent Hill 4. Whether people like The Room or not, you have to give it credit for at least trying something new. Both Origins and Homecoming fell right back into the old way of things, and by that point, they were playing like relics of the past.

I'm getting the feeling that Climax probably took a lot of time studying Siren Blood Curse; probably the best Survival Horror game of the past 10 years, and have taken a lot of notes. A lot of pieces from the scans give me the feeling of Blood Curse, specifically the fact that this seems to be an Americanized reimagining.

I really think Climax have a chance to make this game something very special. They don't need to tie this game into the other titles to get the hardcore support, if it's a good Silent Hill game, people will buy it, and by starting new, they have the chance to bring in some new fans.

The more I think about this, the more I think this could be great.

Originally posted by rewak View Post
                    And what's the point of that, given that the original view was pretty damn perfect as it was?
                    I'm guessing they feel that by keeping it related to the original, they are bringing in the series fan base, while at the same time making it a loose reimagining helps bring in new players.
                    Last edited by randomwab; 04-02-2009, 04:51 PM.

Comment

The more I think about it, the more I really am starting to like the Idea of no combat.

The fans need to appreciate Konami for listening to them. People complained that RE4+5 have too much action and no puzzles. People complained about SH5 being a bit too action oriented.
                      Well now Konami is going in the opposite direction. No fighting, just running, exploring, and puzzles. It will be a survival horror game.

Comment

-The developer wants the game to be as immersive as possible. "When you want to check on something in the environment, for example, you simply fix your view on it rather than press a button, and instead of text appearing on screen, Harry comments vocally." (MARl0 note: This sounds really awesome!)
                        That won't get annoying at all, having no control over him telling you exactly whats in front of you all the time
                        "Huh? Radio? What's going on with that radio?

-The static noise comes out of the Wii Remote now. It also acts as your cell phone. "Just as we're starting to feel sufficiently uncomfortable, the Wii Remote rings and nearly scares us out of our seats." "There's no response when we answer this particular call, so we hang up and try the first thing that comes to mind: dial 911. An emergency dispatcher actually picks up, her voice emanating from the Wii Remote speaker, but she can't hear Harry and eventually hangs up. Looks like we're on our own."
                        A cell phone that randomly rings? Remember Dead Rising, how irritating that got?
                        I think GTAIV is a better sample of a game where the phone got in the way, but to be honest... it's all a matter of how they pull this one off.

1. Is replying to the phone OPTIONAL?
                        2. How does the game (enemies) respond to your phone ringing?
                        3. HOW do you answer the phone?

-Combat has been completely removed from the game. "Instead, you have no choice but to flee, which proves considerably more terrifying."
                        So it's a hide-and-seek stealth type game, pathetic. Like i said before, bye bye Silent Hill.
                        If you ask me, stealth's the one thing that Survival Horror's always been in need of. Clock Tower series have had some run and hide going. Silent Hill 2 had a cutscene hiding sequence going when you walk in on Pyramid Head's little love affair. Siren had the... whatever the hell that vision thing was called, which allowed you to somewhat keep track of enemy movement and stuff.

Stealth = Welcome.

Also, I think it's somewhat better that they're using Silent Hill 1 as a set piece for this, instead of using an original storyline. You have elements that people are familiar with (or at least like to think they are familiar with), and you have a new spin on it.

An interesting design related question is... if you're a diehard Silent Hill fan... and you use your SH1 speedrun (or favorite ending) habits as an outline for how you'd proceed in Shattered Memories... will everything (story and event wise) be the same as in the original and how flexible is the system for event encounters, new events, timelines, etc.?

Comment

What I'm interested in knowing is how they'll evt. do boss encounters (if they still exist), if you'll just be escaping (Nemesis, T-rex in Dino Crisis, etc...), if it'll be a QTE fest, or if they'll go for contextual gameplay alterations (Like Disaster Report/SOS's fantastic helicopter boss fight)
                          It's not QTE. Harry will be able to jump over obstacles, jump through windows and do all kinds of stuff when "fleeing". There's also an option to look over your shoulder, which I assume will have some bad effects on your path if you were to do so. =P

As for the idea of the game itself, I don't mind. I like the new character designs, some people have been saying it makes them look how they should and in that regard I agree. The characters were American to begin with and now they actually look American. Whoever said that Harry looks "NERDY" cos he's wearing glasses needs to graduate from whatever elementary school they're attending.

An interesting design related question is... if you're a diehard Silent Hill fan... and you use your SH1 speedrun (or favorite ending) habits as an outline for how you'd proceed in Shattered Memories... will everything (story and event wise) be the same as in the original and how flexible is the system for event encounters, new events, timelines, etc.?
                          Yeah, that's what they want - for people who've played the original to assume the same things will happen and consequently be "surprised" by how things play out. It's something I like, and how a remake should be done (and in some regards how REmake was done too =P) but with a game as story intensive as Silent Hill, I am a bit weary of where they take it or if they water it down for a wider audience. I still hope we have a dirty, unclean Otherworld and some truly disturbing creature designs. They are something that I've always appreciated throughout the series.

Worst case scenario, I'll split up the timeline in my head =P SH Origins, SH Shattered Dreams and SH Homecoming belong in the first timeline and the original games belong in another.

Because seriously, crying about how Team Silent aren't working on this game is kinda pointless. Nothing will change. >_>

Comment

It doesn't matter since this game isn't meant to overwrite the original anyway. The PSX Silent Hill is still canon. This game most probably is going to be a stand-alone title (or series) the more I read into it.

The point? I guess to allow the fans and newcomers to look at Climax's version of Silent Hill 1? Since they have pretty much taken over Team Silent in making SH games for a while now...

Comment

Originally posted by James View Post
                              It's not QTE. Harry will be able to jump over obstacles, jump through windows and do all kinds of stuff when "fleeing". There's also an option to look over your shoulder, which I assume will have some bad effects on your path if you were to do so. =P

That's what they've said about normal encounters. I'm curious about if there'll be special (boss) encounters... and, of course, what they'll be like. 'cause something tells me that just running away from all problems wont be possible.

As for story/canon; I don't think I could be more indifferent about something than the whole "this be not canon!!11!!1!" thing. I play games to get myself a nice piece of entertainment. How they present that entertainment... I don't care, as long as it's entertaining and well put together. I don't see this need some people have for things to be part of some greater or ulterior picture, spanning over multiple installments treated as pieces of a jigsaw puzzle. This idea that something is a waste of time if it doesn't fit in with the rest... I just don't get it.

If your only (or biggest) concern for a game is whether or not the story is canon, I believe dropping gaming and picking up on some long running TV soap is something that would make your life perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by Carnivol View Post
                                If your only (or biggest) concern for a game is whether or not the story is canon, I believe dropping gaming and picking up on some long running TV soap is something that would make your life perfect.
                                Perhaps this would explain why I'm whoring Battlestar Galactica?

Originally posted by Harry Mason
                                I agree with that and would be much more open about this title if it was using an unrelated story set in silent hill...but if they think hacking the original to bits is a good way to fix the series it's looking tasteless.
                                They're not looking to "fix" the series as much as they're trying to "evolve" it. If they made an original title with all the things they've mentioned so far, such as stealth and fleeing, the cellphone, personality tests and more than a handful of people within the town, and put the Silent Hill name onto it, people would needlessly cry. Again, Silent Hill 4 changed up a few things and people threw a huge hissy fit.

In relating this to the first game, they're going with the safest route to change up a lot of broken gameplay mechanics while still retaining the name.

Comment

Working...
                                X