Do we have souls?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i made it chris,its not a joke topic.
    its supposed to be for people to discuss the existance of souls and evil of humanity.

Comment

Originally posted by adamb1029 View Post
      Originally posted by nemesiswontdie View Post
      i think we have souls we just soak them in violence and sex
      who says sex and love is a bad thing?
      Zardoz, your God, obviously.

Comment

Mmm..my god is whatever one the jewish/christian one is.
        probably allah to since im guessing all three are the same one.

Comment

Adam, I think you need to stop feeling sorry for yourself. The world's depressing enough as it is.

If there is a God out there, and he's listening, I pray that this topic is deleted hastily.

Comment

i dont feal sorry for myself
            i feal sorry for humans as a entirety.
            but meh
            someone lock or get rid of this topic please? its probably just going to get me flamed or something.

Comment

Sex is a good thing. It's a chance for two people who care for and love eachother to express it through passion and intimacy, and have a great time while doing it.

As for the existence of souls, I don't think the presence of evil is enough to say that we don't have a soul. Evil is a much debated topic in religion and people question why it exists if there is an omnipotent and benevolent God, so to say "Evil means humans don't have souls" is a very closed minded opinion. There are all sorts of theories which could be looked into, such as perhaps evil being part of God's plan, to test us and test our faith in Him to earn our place in Heaven; or it could be Satan tempting us to stray away from God. Or, it could be there is no God or Satan and we are simply evolved biological creatures with no purpose in life but to reproduce and survive, and the evils in the world are simply necessary evils which existed before us, such as the food chain (meaning we have to murder in order to eat), and sex (which we have to do to reproduce).

And I don't wanna lock this topic. It's actually a good debate and should fetch some interesting points and opinions, provided everyone can play nice .
              Last edited by Alexia_Ashford; 03-23-2009, 05:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexia_Ashford View Post
                Sex is a good thing. It's a chance for two people who care for and love eachother to express it through passion and intimacy, and have a great time while doing it.

As for the existence of souls, I don't think the presence of evil is enough to say that we don't have a soul. Evil is a much debated topic in religion and people question why it exists if there is an omnipotent and benevolent God, so to say "Evil means humans don't have souls" is a very closed minded opinion. There are all sorts of theories which could be looked into, such as perhaps evil being part of God's plan, to test us and test our faith in Him to earn our place in Heaven; or it could be Satan tempting us to stray away from God. Or, it could be there is no God or Satan and we are simply evolved biological creatures with no purpose in life but to reproduce and survive, and the evils in the world are simply necessary evils which existed before us, such as the food chain (meaning we have to murder in order to eat), and sex (which we have to do to reproduce).
                finnaly another post that makes since(the last one was either darkmoon's or carnivals)thank you Alexia.

Comment

I can pretty much agree with you Alexia....but sex only feels good because of evolution. If it didn't feel good, people would not want to do it as often and thus reproduction rates would decrease. I'm not a religious person at all because I think most religions are basically the same but with a few things changed around to better suit the masses that follow them. Good and evil change over time. Not too long ago, it was perfectly alright for a person to own another and beat their wives and children. Today, actions like that can land a person in jail. Asking if we have souls is, to me, just another way to ask if God exists. Perhaps yes...perhaps no. It's what you personally want to believe in.
                  sigpic
                  Are you tired, Rebecca?

Comment

Originally posted by Rosetta Mist View Post
                    I can pretty much agree with you Alexia....but sex only feels good because of evolution. If it didn't feel good, people would not want to do it as often and thus reproduction rates would decrease. I'm not a religious person at all because I think most religions are basically the same but with a few things changed around to better suit the masses that follow them. Good and evil change over time. Not too long ago, it was perfectly alright for a person to own another and beat their wives and children. Today, actions like that can land a person in jail. Asking if we have souls is, to me, just another way to ask if God exists. Perhaps yes...perhaps no. It's what you personally want to believe in.
                    Hm, I'm not sure. I think sex has always felt good. Even monkeys have been seen having sex for pleasure and we're supposed to descend from them, and thousands of years ago the Kama Sutra was written, describing all the pleasures of sex. Even dogs and cats have been shown doing "D.I.Y" for pleasure as well, so it isn't just humans. I'd have thought that the pleasure has always been there as an incentive to get humans to reproduce. Yeah, the definition of evil can change too. Spartans murdered babies, Romans executed Christians and threw criminals into the Colosseum to be ripped apart by lions and the Roman people enjoyed bloody violence and death, in Medieval England we burned and boiled people alive.

Nowadays a lot of things could be classed as evil. Oh, how we so love our precious self-righteousness.. *Wonders why there isn't a Wesker sunglasses emote*

Comment

thank you Alexia.
                      and yes we do need a Wesker sunglass emote.

Comment

Maybe maybe not...who knows?I believe in souls but that's my choice.

Comment

You know, I wanted to have a healthy debate and reply seriously and honestly, but then I read this:

my current thoughts lead me to doubt my soul's existance..
                          considering this is what i want to do in order
                          1:Kill about twenty iranian soldiers with a artillery bombardment
                          2:slowly crush a north korean tanker under his own tank's treads
                          3:make out with my girlfriend for a hour
                          4:launch a AT4 into a nursing home
                          5:Burn down a nursing home from the inside out with a flamethrower
                          6:hunt down and kill paris hilton
                          7:remove paris hilton's head and hoist it up a flagpole
                          8:make out with my girlfriend for a hour
                          9:murder my family
                          10:murder my extended family
                          11:nuke all of florida,prefribly with Tsar Bomba's
                          12:destroy a shopping mall from the inside using a M1a1
                          13:cause a zombie apocalypse
                          14:cause another one if humanity survives the first one.

and this is on a GOOD day..
                          What the hell am I supposed to say to that? Is that something you feel is necessary or appropriate to post on a messageboard? How am I supposed to take this topic seriously? If you have homicidal thoughts, you probably shouldn't be posting them on messageboards, and you definitely need professional help. This is not the place to air your dirty laundry about the human race. If you want to do it, there's a right way and a wrong way. Take out that stupid post and maybe I can take this seriously.

Anyway, here's my attempt at a serious answer...
                          As for the topic, I don't know if I have a soul, and if I do, I don't know what the hell it is or what advantage/disadvantage is gives me. I know I have a conscience and a sense of right and wrong, and I know that I have emotions and a thought process -- what else is there? I don't know. I'm not all that into religion myself(the last time I was in a church was the day of my communion), but you know what? I pray. I pray every night for the people that I love...so I'm hoping there's a higher power out there somewhere, otherwise, all we have to believe in is ourselves and others(and that can make things seem bleak at times). Sometimes, I feel the need to grasp onto something like a God, when times get rough, or when someone I love needs guidance and there's nothing I can do physically to help them. It helps keep things on an even keel.

Originally posted by Rosetta Mist View Post
                          I can pretty much agree with you Alexia....but sex only feels good because of evolution. If it didn't feel good, people would not want to do it as often and thus reproduction rates would decrease.
                          Originally posted by Alexia_Ashford View Post
                          For the record, sex is a GREAT thing when love is involved. When it's not, then...maybe you could question it. Selling sex, using sex as a means to advance in life, abusing sex, etc... But whether or not it's 'okay' to you doesn't change the fact that...it feels good. ;)

I digress. This argument is almost as pointless as 'what happens after you die?' Why? Because it's all about what you believe in.
                          Last edited by Vector; 03-23-2009, 06:09 PM.

Comment

I took that post with a pinch of salt. It's obviously at least partially a joke, because if it wasn't, he'd already be in prison.

As for the topic, it's a good topic because why would people debate or discuss things if it wasn't about what YOU personally believe? If everyone in the world was in agreement, the world would be an extremely boring place. I don't really think about this sort of thing that much because I don't know what is out there and I know I never will, but I do think there is some form of higher element, if not solely because of ghosts.

Comment

Ghosts do seem to indicate the existance of souls to some people
                              i ust to live in a house where there was a ghost(of a nice old lady)

Comment

Ghosts do seem to indicate the existance of souls to some people
                                i ust to live in a house where there was a ghost(of a nice old lady)
                                Oh man, that's a whole other argument in itself. Maybe Rosetta will start telling some of her ghost stories.

Comment

Working...
                                X