So they're making a Shadow of the Colossus Movie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So they're making a Shadow of the Colossus Movie

One of the most cinematic games is now making it way towards cinemas. The Shadow of the Colossus video game is being developed by producer Kevin Misher (Fighting, Public Enemies, Case 39) at Columbia Pictures. Hollywood's new favorite fanboy writer, Justin Marks of Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li, Voltron, and Masters of the Universe, has been hired to write the screenplay. The game, which first hit shelves in 2005, follows a character known as Wander, who along with his horse Agro, travels across a western-style landscape to defeat enemies known as Collosi, while Wander tries to save the girl Mono.

This isn't the first time the game has been seen in the movies - it was featured in Reign Over Me, although those scenes just had Adam Sandler playing the game. Shadow of the Colossus was not only a big hit in sales, but also a big hit with critics, and a few years ago was widely heralded as one of the best games of the year. Sony is currently developing on a sequel to the game. Although I know its got the makings of a good movie, I'm concerned that Justin Marks will come up with something a little too cheesy, a little too Hollywood. Hopefully they find a director who will make sure this stays as true to the game as possible.
    One of the most cinematic games is now making it way towards cinemas. The Shadow of the Colossus video game is being developed by producer Kevin Misher (Fighting, Public Enemies, Case 39) at Columbia Pictures. Hollywood's new favorite fanboy writer, Justin Marks of Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li, Voltron, and Masters of the Universe,

why... !

Originally posted by A-J View Post
    why... !
    Because movie makers hate us gamers. :/

Comment

...I admit, I did get bored and never finished Shadow of the Colossus, so I may be wrong...but there barely seemed to be enough plot in the game to fill a small shot glass, let alone a movie. I mean, what I got in five hours of play was, 'Your girlfriend is dead? Sucks. Go kill these giant guys over here and you can bring her back. Oh, you killed one? Good. Next one please.'

How is more terrifying than why in this case.

Comment

It doesn't matter - they will make their own story... as usual.

Comment

Originally posted by Darkmoon View Post
          ...I admit, I did get bored and never finished Shadow of the Colossus, so I may be wrong...but there barely seemed to be enough plot in the game to fill a small shot glass, let alone a movie. I mean, what I got in five hours of play was, 'Your girlfriend is dead? Sucks. Go kill these giant guys over here and you can bring her back. Oh, you killed one? Good. Next one please.'

I agree.

The game isn't exactly something that could be translated into movie format. I could almost see them make something episodic out of multiple colossus, or if they for some absurd reason went all out on one huge ass one that the movie would center around the climbing of.

But the problem is; narratives without characters = usually very bad idea as a movie.

And the game... I got kinda bored of it too. Was disappointed by the lack of variety in how you take down the colossi (seriously, there's only one friggin way to take down each one, no variation in how you approach them. Only trial and failure in the finding of that one method... And that trial and failure is kinda limited.)

I like the art direction, the setting, and the general idea, but I really dislike the terrible framerate and the floaty controls that can even make the worst of N64 games laugh out loud.

Anyway, I guess this is just one of those movies that probably wont materialize as the source material just isn't good enough for a movie adaption. ICO would've been a much better (and easier) thing to adapt for the big screen.
          Last edited by Carnivol; 04-08-2009, 06:35 AM. Reason: footnote: if anything, hope they'll at least speak in gibberish

Comment

Originally posted by Darkmoon View Post

I couldn't disagree more..the game is focused on boss battles and if you played through one time and saw the ending the conclusion was really epic, and to further it's own cause it ties directly into ICO which concludes the story. The gameplay is very centered on defeating the giants but you can side quest for power-ups and once you beat the game once you open time attack which every 2 colosi beaten will unlock new items..all I can say is if you haven't found yourself dodging lightning bolts while trying to make it to safety you don't know Shadow of the Colossus

It could make a decent movie with all the plot twists from the game, I'd watch it.

@Carnivol there's more than one way to take them down although I agree the framerate does suck at times.
            Last edited by Harry Mason; 04-08-2009, 09:19 AM.

Comment

Well, well, well...looks like another beloved video game to add to my thread
              http://www.the-horror.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4630
              "One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate... and thus defy the tyrannous stars."
              Resident Evil/Castlevania/ Silent Hill/Onimusha/Tekken /Dark Souls

Comment

My guess is if they actually make this film, the CGI will kill any immersion.

Comment

Originally posted by GuardhouseMusic View Post
                  My guess is if they actually make this film, the CGI will kill any immersion.

Actually... it just struck me how this movie could be pulled off... maybe as a theme park "IMAX 3D CINEMA" experience. Just have one huge ass (changing/transforming) colossus being scaled by someone and then killed. As a pure visual experience, open/close it somewhat like the game, but cut it down to one giant that changes forms between something like those you see in the game (evt. start out with one of the four legged ones, then have it sink into ground, turn into one of the flying ones, have the main char somehow get up on top of it, go over to something like the sea-serpant one, then turn into something like a mix of the turtle thing you stun with the geysers and the one you fight inside the dam/lake area (the one you "control" by smacking the horns of)... and... well... you, get the idea of where I'm going.

Either a pure visual experience like that which lasts for like 15~30 minutes or something that just involves one huge ass one that's like a friggin walking country (kinda like the huge ass things in Square-Enix' upcoming Blood of Bahamut. Since a movie is hard to do with just one character, something like what's shown in the NICO footage would probably the way the go (Team of people trying to scale and take down a Colossus. Probably before it reaches a specific destination or something. (Sidenote: NICO footage makes me think of the end of the Lost Planet 2 trailer)

Let shitty conversations/drama between characters be about the beauty of the huge beast, whether it's alive or not, what problems it may have caused already, who "built" it, if it's really right of them to "kill/destroy" it just 'cause it'll... I dunno... destroy their town while walking across it or something, if it's a god or something else, etc... you know; typical bag of usual stuff.)

If they could pull something like that off... it might actually be possible to pull something off if they could mix it with large scale scenery and a proper budget (and director) to make things look nice, grand and epic.

Comment

the only way they'll pull it off is by getting Sam Jackson to play Wandered.

"I'm tired of these motherfucking colossi in this motherfucking wasteland !"

talking to Dormin "ENGLISH MOTHERFUCKER DO YOU SPEAK IT ?"

Comment

Dammit man, I still can't believe this is going to be a movie. Hopefully they won't add an explanation at the start of the movie, or any extra dialogue, I would just like the parts in the game where there was talking. Other than that, I don't want to hear anything other than the nature, colossi's thundering footsteps and..."AGRO!"
                      God I loved that game. It was so fun to try and out run the colossi's souls even though it always catches up to you lol.
                      Last edited by REmaster; 04-09-2009, 03:49 AM.
                      "One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate... and thus defy the tyrannous stars."
                      Resident Evil/Castlevania/ Silent Hill/Onimusha/Tekken /Dark Souls

Comment

This is f**ked up!!!
                        I HATE Hollywood so much! They are determined to ruin everything that I love...
                        When I was much younger, I loved movies and Hollywood. But now I'm old enough to see them as the shallow, blood sucking parasites that they are. And I'm sure that they are now worse than they've ever been.

Sony should not allow this to happen. It will only cheapen the name and even effect the sales of a sequel game.

The same writer as 'Legend of Chun-Li'? How could that happen? Why wasn't he banned from making movies for at least 10 years?
                        I like the art direction, the setting, and the general idea, but I really dislike the terrible framerate and the floaty controls that can even make the worst of N64 games laugh out loud.
                        I can't believe you would mention the N64 in a conversation about SOTC... SOTC dumps a 'colossal' turd on anything made on N64!
                        It's such a brilliant and artistic game. My enjoyment wasn't bothered by the framerate. I'm glad I'm not that much of a 'techno dork' and I feel sorry for those who are.
                        I think it's one of the best games ever made and a lot of game reviewers feel the same. It still looks great today on a HDTV, as it supports widescreen and 480p.

The movie will be complete SHIT!
                        I just hope it gets canceled before they start.

Comment

I was just talking to someone about this yesterday and I share peoples fears about it. I havne't played the game myself but I've seen and know enough about it to know it's a terrible idea. There's just....not enough material for them to exploit for it to be a movie.

Comment

I'm a bit interested in seeing what people think of what I quickly tossed together in my previous post. 'cause I totally agree with there not really being enough source material to take from to make a faithful/direct adaption. But after I gave it some thought, I honestly don't think it's impossible to bring it to the big screen in a way that should be "pleasing"... it's just a bit challenging to do it in a way that's actually possible and enjoyable.

Personally, I wouldn't blame the writer alone for whatever the Chun-Li movie ended up becoming. His other movie writing efforts have had a so-so favorable ratings. He's currently writing a script for a 20 000s Leagues under the Sea movie, apparently set to be directed by McG (dude who's doing Terminator: Salvation). Now, how that thing turns out script wise is probably more of a proper indication of what to expect from anything written for Shadow of the Colossus.

'cause seriously, whatever he had to work with in terms of story for Street Fighter was pretty much ass to begin with (or more like thighs. Har Har). At least Shadow of the Colossus has some nice elements to use, but it will require some special treatment to work, and it's certainly an "effect movie," and I'm sure that if he's writing 20 000s Leagues under the Sea first (or at the same time) he should be working with some rather heavily inspiring and awesome material that which his end product for should prove whether or not he's competent enough to handle something like SotC.

Originally posted by Skunky View Post
                            I can't believe you would mention the N64 in a conversation about SOTC... SOTC dumps a 'colossal' turd on anything made on N64!
                            It's such a brilliant and artistic game. My enjoyment wasn't bothered by the framerate. I'm glad I'm not that much of a 'techno dork' and I feel sorry for those who are.
                            I think it's one of the best games ever made and a lot of game reviewers feel the same. It still looks great today on a HDTV, as it supports widescreen and 480p.
                            What was wrong with the N64?

If there ever was a system where the amount of good games almost stayed in perfect harmony with the amount of releases, it was the N64, the Game Cube being the close runner up.

A lot of great concepts spawned there. A lot of great franchises had a fantastic run on it. Almost all games supported 4 player multiplayer and it had a huge pile of classics that games still gets compared to and a huge pile of under-performed/appreciated gems.

Comment

Really? Hm. It really is a good game, I hope the movie is at least half of what the game is.

Comment

Working...
                              X