Paul W.S Anderson RE interview....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paul W.S Anderson RE interview....

Love or loathe it, the Resident Evil movie franchise is a rare example of a video game series that's actually made a name for itself in Hollywood. - MCV/DEVELOP

-------

Yeah, even though he proves some points I was aware of, he's still just feeding his ego on how hes done such an amazing job with the movies and, blah, blah, blah....

I'm still surprised he said it took him 3 weeks to bead the first 3 games as he was playing them back to back....seriously? 3 weeks?

I know the fuckers like 11 years my senior and all but the games weren't THAT hard. I'd believe maybe a week and a half if you were still learning how to play and stuff but 3 weeks is really sad.

I thought I couldn't hate Anderson even more as a director, I was clearly wrong.

And didn't his wife said that they paid kids to play the games and send him footage? How the hell that passion and knowledge for the games, do they write the script too? Because that would explain a lot.

Comment

A week and a half? Hell no. If I rushed it, I could do all of them in 6 hours. When I first played RE2, it took 5-8 hours.
      Last edited by Alexia_Ashford; 08-12-2011, 05:37 PM.

Comment

week and a half for someone whose never played it and is learning the game I mean .

Comment

At this point it doesn't matter what his reasons were. They are what they are.

Comment

What. A. Douchebag.

What did you make of Dead Space? Obviously a rival to Resident Evil as a game that seemed to borrow a few things from your 1997 movie Event Horizon

It is very similar and it is very nice. As they say, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
            Now I totally despise him. Event Horizon is really good, yeah, but it's similar to Dead Space? In what way? It's in space & on a ship. So Alien & Halo are imitations of Event Horizon? He has lost it.

I am the biggest fan of Resident Evil.
            That would be your own movies... Because you know shit about the games.

"I miss the days when we just cared how cool an enemy was rather than critiquing and analyzing everything to death." - Shield Key

Comment

Oh how I would love to see Anderson spend a day at the THIA forums...
              Freedom of Information.

Comment

He wouldn't last 10 minutes. I'd just like to see him actually pay attention when he's writing the garbage he calls scripts. It's blatantly obvious he's off in la la land trying to figure out how to make sure his wife is relevant to the "plot", and I use that term in the loosest possible sense.

Comment

Garbage or no, Anderson is laughing all the way to the bank xD I enjoy the movies for what they are, camp action zombie flicks. But Anderson seems to think they are the second coming. Lol gurl no.

Comment

To be fair, the first movie wasn't half-bad after you got over the initial shock.. And it even set up a sequel perfectly. RE2 destroyed it all though (Alice, ridiculous action scenes, crapping on the game's storyline further etc..)

How long can he ride on one good movie.. an irrelevant question it seems - no doubt people will be queuing up for the 5th simply because it exists and has 3D, guns and zombies.. If that is success to Anderson I feel very sorry for him.. I'm sure it bugs him every morning when he wakes up in his mansion next to Milla "I cannot compete with hardcore RE fans, must lie to media and pretend to be something I'm not".

LOL at that question about if he could develop a game.. yeah right.. Paul Anderson presents Resident Evil: The Movie, the Game - I'm sure it would involve Alice, tons of action/energy bars, and you can jump around the area ripping shit up to get a high score, plus cut-scenes straight from the movie. Noooo...

Comment

Originally posted by Scream View Post
                      To be fair, the first movie wasn't half-bad after you got over the initial shock.. And it even set up a sequel perfectly. RE2 destroyed it all though (Alice, ridiculous action scenes, crapping on the game's storyline further etc..)
                      As I've said numerous times. NEMESIS, he fucked Nemi, and all went down hill. A shame because, to be fair, I do like the first movie... Alice does some crazy shit, but those are feats that game characters pull constantly (Claire's CV Intro, RE4 Leon dodging lasers, RE5 Chris' revenge with the boulder and so on).

How long can he ride on one good movie.. an irrelevant question it seems - no doubt people will be queuing up for the 5th simply because it exists and has 3D, guns and zombies.. If that is success to Anderson I feel very sorry for him.. I'm sure it bugs him every morning when he wakes up in his mansion next to Milla "I cannot compete with hardcore RE fans, must lie to media and pretend to be something I'm not".
                      Yup, money talks, he was succesful pulling something that many have tried and failed, making a game franchise famous as a movie, and that's his merit. But you can't say shit like "I is the biggest fan evur of Resident... ehum, I knowz is called Biohazurd in Japan!" if you take THE GAME from where you developed your movie and pretty much rape the expectations of the fanbase.

LOL at that question about if he could develop a game.. yeah right.. Paul Anderson presents Resident Evil: The Movie, the Game - I'm sure it would involve Alice, tons of action/energy bars, and you can jump around the area ripping shit up to get a high score, plus cut-scenes straight from the movie. Noooo...
                      Ninja Gaiden with zombiez plagas pretty much. Staring Alice. With mindpowers, and clone attacks, and every noob shit you may think of.
                      Last edited by Beanovsky Durst; 08-14-2011, 04:24 AM.

"I miss the days when we just cared how cool an enemy was rather than critiquing and analyzing everything to death." - Shield Key

Comment

Even the most hardcore fan in the world is not going to really argue that the dialogue in the first Resident Evil game should have been adapted into the film. “You, master of unlocking.” It is awful. Really? Is that what you want in your movie? That kind of dialogue? I don’t think so.
                        What an idiot. Of course we don't want that kind of dialogues in a RE movie. He completely misses the point here. We want a RE movie to be faithful to the essence of the videogame, not a complete copy of it!
                        And he's taking an extremely cheap example......seriously, the oirginal RE. Everyone knows it had bad dialogues. Dialogues in the most recent RE games are, for the most part, decent.

But I think the proof of the pudding is in the eating as they say, and if we had really upset so many people and fucked it up so badly, we wouldn’t have done billions of dollars of business.
                        No genius. Your series was not successful because it was somewhat faithful to the game, it was successful because you attracted lots of teenagers thirsting for campy action flicks and "cool" bullet-times effects.

By the way, successful commercially does not equal "good". Someone needs to tell him that.

Man, this guy is an asshole.

However, here's another problem. Because most of the fans who despise Anderson's movies went to see each RE film anyway. It sure gives that scumbag credits!
                        Last edited by Grem; 08-14-2011, 05:22 AM.

Comment

I hate this fucking guy even more
                          PSN Gamercards

Comment

Latest news is he is slagging of other Directors who are turning video games into movies. Its ok for him to do it because he has had so much success. What a big headed bastard. Anyone could have made success out of the RE movies.

He is now slagging off the dialogue? Cause his dialogue is so epic! Fucking hell Sony take the series off this chump and give someone else a go with a fresh start and see them destroy him within one movie.

Comment

I am getting rather fed up with the conflicting information from him and other sources, usually Milla. 'Oh, Paul was the one having doubts that Alice should be de-powered,' and then, 'Oh, Milla had big doubts, which is why Alice is so kick ass even when she isn't super powered' and here we have Milla telling us Paul watches lesser beings play the games and now he informs us, telling us it's really a true story so it must be true, that he played the first three games before making the movies.

I'm also deeply amused that he assures us he loves the games and knows all about them. yet he has his character crap all over the game cast, from a great height, at every possible opportunity and makes the movie versions as little like the game versions as he can manage...almost as though he wrote a character into a specific role, and then decided to slap on a named character from the games to justify the Resident Evil title. He goes on about how other gaming movies fail because other directors don't know the material...Silent Hill, dude. The director there knew the game inside and out, it was the writer who was a fuckwit..who I seem to recall also works with Anderson, actually. And it's worth noting that a lot of people who do like the games don't like the movies, with some exceptions.

Also - I have to say, Anderson is not the biggest fan of Resident Evil. Of the Resident Evil movies? Probably, and that's as it should be - you should always be proud of the things you create. But of the games? Sorry dude. Your movies show different.

Comment

Working...
                              X