• The (Un)official Anime Discussion Thread

Click image for larger version

Name:	gits-sac.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	406081
    THE BEST PLACE TO UNOFFICIALLY DISCUSS ANIME

RULES:
    • No Flaming (No one wants to watch you flame others about how awesome Bleach is. To %98.738 of us, it just isn't.)
    • No Spamming (Unless your definition of spamming is sharing your canned meats, then by all means, spam away.)
    • No Explicit images (Of any kind, including that one from your office party. You know, like that one with the scepter?)
    • Stay ON TOPIC! (Please keep all non-anime discussion at a minimum. No talking about your cat Archibald Von Perrywinkle)
    • RESPECT MAH AUTHORATAH! (Only after you have respected the staff's authority. Here's a chart; Staff>Archibald>Mah Authoratah)

Super fun time space that might be used later...
    sigpic

First of all, I approve of the banner. I like GitS, especially SAC. That's about the only contribution I have to make for this topic.

Thanks, and have fun!

Last edited by Mr. Spencer; 05-17-2012, 05:03 PM.
    See you in hell.

Comment

A thread with it's own mini rules page? I'm intrigued.

I'm a huge fan of anime (See - Avatar), but I've got such a backlog of shit to get through right now...I have several Boxsets (soul Eater, Witch Hunter Robin, Blood+ (both series, I think) and a few I've likely forgotten. My problem is I hate having only parts of an anime, so I get the whole thing once it's done, which can be a challenge...

I'm especially waiting for them to finish the new versions of Hellsing and Evangelion. I actually own both of the mangas for these as well, so I have a good idea what's gonna happen in Hellsing at least. Again, that's the whole manga...can't take piecemeal. For those, I shall clear my busy schedule.

Comment

Everything I find cheap ends up being crap usually, anime too expensive these days to buy at normal prices in hope of something good. I curse everyone who jumped on the anime bandwagon of the internet. In the 80s and early 90s is was so unpopular they needed sell it cheap or not at all. I have a loathing for unfinished stories also like Dark and so many anime series get made based on unfinshed stuff, never to get resumed.

Someone recommend stuff please, any genre, old stuff or new, serious or stupid, just something with a finished story (or at least, a finished arc story and no cliffhanger).
        Last edited by Dracarys; 05-17-2012, 06:47 PM.
        Beanovsky Durst - "They are not pervs. They are japanese."

Comment

I grew up on anime in the late 80's.

My favorite series are Bubblegum Crisis 2030(they never finished it, and fuck the 2040 tv series they made later),Berserk(even though they didnt finish it...not surprising as the manga is STILL going after 22 years), I also really like Detective Conan.

The newer series I've grown fond of are Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni, Umineko No Naku Koro Ni, and 'Another'. Nothing like Horror anime to fill the staleness of whats become of Western horror in films.
          Last edited by Wrathborne; 05-17-2012, 06:54 PM.

Comment

Other than what Studio Ghibli does, I get very bored with anime.

I only got into Dragon Ball and not much else. So... yeah.
            Stuff to remember: Avoid forums if you're having a bad day.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Dracarys View Post
              Everything I find cheap ends up being crap usually, anime too expensive these days to buy at normal prices in hope of something good. I curse everyone who jumped on the anime bandwagon of the internet. In the 80s and early 90s is was so unpopular they needed sell it cheap or not at all. I have a loathing for unfinished stories also like Dark and so many anime series get made based on unfinshed stuff, never to get resumed.

Someone recommend stuff please, any genre, old stuff or new, serious or stupid, just something with a finished story (or at least, a finished arc story and no cliffhanger).
              I'll just insert a few of my favorites and let you decide. (If you've already watched these, kudos to you)

As the great Mr. Spencer said, Ghost in the Shell is a pretty damn good series if you don't mind REALLY paying attention to each episode, as the story tends to have many plots and sub plots you have to follow.

If you're looking to watch a true CLASSIC, you cannot go wrong with Cowboy Bebop (love it so much, it originally birthed my THIA namesake). It ties itself up in 26 episodes and a pretty good movie and it's just about as great a series as you can find. Of course, I say that it ties itself up at the end. Other fans seem to disagree (because they're bawwing at the end.)

If you're into something a little more quirky, I always enjoyed Trigun. It came out in that great year that saw the release of greats like Cowboy Bebop and Outlaw Star. It, too, wraps itself up in 26 episodes and it's pretty good.
              sigpic

Comment

Trigun, Cowboy Bebop, and Outlaw Star are kind of the first triad of Adult Swim greats. I enjoyed Yu Yu Hakusho too, but Inuyasha is a good example of why people who hate anime, do hate it. It's shit.

I also loved Sailor Moon as a kid. Still do. =)

Comment

Originally posted by Inferno04 View Post
                  Trigun, Cowboy Bebop, and Outlaw Star are kind of the first triad of Adult Swim greats. I enjoyed Yu Yu Hakusho too, but Inuyasha is a good example of why people who hate anime, do hate it. It's shit.

I also loved Sailor Moon as a kid. Still do. =)
                  Sometimes I think that Sailor Moon is the ONLY reason we have female anime fans from the 80'-90's generation. XD Which is a great thing if I do say so myself.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Dracarys View Post

Let's see...

Fate/Stay Night - based on a hentai game that I also recommend (if you can find it in this country and don't mind smut...there is a censored version too, somewhere) this is a pretty unique series. No cliff hangers, although some story elements from the game are missing. Opening One - Disillusion - Opening 2 - Kirameku Namida wa Hoshi ni (Glittering Tears Change to Stars

Ghost in the Shell - All of it. There are two separate storylines - the movie and it's sequel (Innocence), and the two 26 episode animes (with a movie of it's own, Solid State Society). I think most people have at least seen the origional movie, and if you haven't seen the rest I do recommend it. Opening 1 - Inner Universe - Opening 2 - Rise

Love Hina - Harem comedy. Silly, but romantic and amusing. You do have to hunt down the three additional bits and pieces if you want to get the actual ending, however - the anime doesn't have it. Opening 1 - Sakura Saku

Escaflowne - Big robot anime with a mystical touch, so swords and sorcery and robots the size of houses. Pretty cool. Ending is a touch on the 'meh' side.
                    Opening - I don't need promises - UK Opening

Neon Genesis Evangelion - Great anime - storyline is laced with crack. Seriously, I don't think anyone full understands what the fuck is going on. On the other hand, it's pretty damned awesome. Just...weird. Opening - Cruel Angels Thesis

Hellsing - You may wish to wait until new anime is complete, which matches the manga - the current 13 episode anime splits off and has a slightly odd ending. It also has a plot point unanswered and a slight cliff hanger to the ending, but it's a cliff hanger that felt about right. Opening - The World Without Logos

Originally posted by AsteroidBlues View Post
                    Sometimes I think that Sailor Moon is the ONLY reason we have female anime fans from the 80'-90's generation. XD Which is a great thing if I do say so myself.
                    I got introduced to anime via Sailor Moon (In German). I even have it all on DVD somewhere now, so my girls can watch it.

Comment

I was an anime fan in high school, but I've started drifting away from that since starting university.
                      Since second or third year I haven't really had any incentive to explore anything new...

It's also been pretty discouraging, because of the 6 mangas left that I still enjoyed by second year:
                      - 3 had ridiculously shitty endings
                      - 2 go on year-long hiatuses... Regularly.

Fullmetal Alchemist ended well IMO, so no complaints there.

Comment

Am at work so only brief, but rewatched all of Stand Alone Complex, and without doubt, best anime ever.
                        http://www.projectumbrella.net The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium
                        http://twitter.com/STARS_TyranT
                        Review and contributor for www.thexbutton.co.uk

Comment

Let's not forget AD Police!

I'm rather fond of cyberpunk anime of the 80's and 90's, e.g. Akira, GitS, Bubblegum Crisis, Appleseed, AD Police, etc. Yeah, I like a lot of Masamune Shirow's work too. Also, notable mentions for Cowboy Bebop, Outlaw Star, NGE, Lupin III, Wolf's Rain, and I can't talk about anime without mentioning Excel Saga.

Man, Excel Saga.
                          Last edited by Mr. Spencer; 05-18-2012, 11:45 AM.
                          See you in hell.

Comment

Seen a lot of the recommended but will check out the others. Thanks all.
                            Beanovsky Durst - "They are not pervs. They are japanese."

Comment

I'll just leave this here.

PROJECT Umbrella - The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium

Comment

Working...
                              X