Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would rather they finished the main story before we get a reboot.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad stories take the fun out of exploring really..."Oh good, I get to fight the final boss who turns into a T-Rex...now a giant Fly...now Godzillas midgit cousin"

Comment

I mentioned in another thread how Capcom should do one more game to finish loose ends of the current storyline, then reboot the series.

Rebooting doesn't just mean starting the story over, it means taking the past 17 years into perspective and analyzing what worked, what didn't, and allows the developers to redesign a new series that utilizes the elements that do...

I personally want to see a more realistic take to the series http://www.the-horror.com/forums/sho...-s-roots/page5 as I posted before (post #96 on the link)... I won't repeat those wishes and opinions here, in order to space space... I would like to hear people's opinions of my suggestions, though not everyone will agree.

Also, I think the way the series is moving, the action should be toned down. The survival elements should be reintroduced... While Silent Hill: Downpour is mediocre (I enjoyed it for what it is), I found the survival elements to be refreshing compared to current run-n-gun horror games of late. I like having as little ammunition as possible, having to utilize my environment to my advantage... Could you imagine Resident Evil 2 having to rebarricade windows, having to lock or barricade doors as a hoard of zombies attempt to smash through them, ducking behind furniture or desks to avoid a Licker, overturning tables as a quick defense... Then most of the time spent in the RPD would be to get into the locked armory... you have little ammunition (and when you find spare shells, you have to load them into what little carrying space you have available -- no more carrying multiple weapons and hundreds of rounds of ammo)... you finally get into the armory, and find that most of it has been ransacked during the previous seiges... you get what you can, and then escape into the dark sewers... I want Resident Evil 1 to feel like a combination of Night of the Living Dead meets The House on Haunted Hill, and Resident Evil 2 to be like Dawn of the Dead and Assault on Precinct 13 had a love child.

I say introduce more stealth elements into the game... not go overboard into Metal Gear territory, but enough where you can play the game and approach challenges from different angles... I would like to see the controls/camera of the newer games, mixed with the survival elements of older games, a more open approach to solving challenges in the game, and reduce the action elements.

Regarding the Co-Op elements of the newer games: In my opinion, I like it, but it should be more of an option rather than forced into the game... As an example, in Resident Evil 1, you can play solo with either Jill or Chris and play their respective storylines. BUT, if two players wanted to play together, you could each play a bastardized version of both scenarios combined, and allow you both to split up on your own to investigate areas, but you wouldn't be allowd to leave, say, the Mansion unless you are both together... (Since the mansion would be one giant area with no loading, both players would have to be on the same map to reduce load -- just my guess). In this way, a player only worries about their character and doesn't have to have a buggy AI-controlled character tagging along, and ruining the horror of isolation...

Just some thoughts on my account. Anyone agree/disagree?
      Current writing project: Resident Evil: Origins (screenplay)

Comment

Originally posted by ronin_akikage View Post
        I mentioned in another thread how Capcom should do one more game to finish loose ends of the current storyline, then reboot the series.

Rebooting doesn't just mean starting the story over, it means taking the past 17 years into perspective and analyzing what worked, what didn't, and allows the developers to redesign a new series that utilizes the elements that do...

I personally want to see a more realistic take to the series http://www.the-horror.com/forums/sho...-s-roots/page5 as I posted before (post #96 on the link)... I won't repeat those wishes and opinions here, in order to space space... I would like to hear people's opinions of my suggestions, though not everyone will agree.

Also, I think the way the series is moving, the action should be toned down. The survival elements should be reintroduced... While Silent Hill: Downpour is mediocre (I enjoyed it for what it is), I found the survival elements to be refreshing compared to current run-n-gun horror games of late. I like having as little ammunition as possible, having to utilize my environment to my advantage... Could you imagine Resident Evil 2 having to rebarricade windows, having to lock or barricade doors as a hoard of zombies attempt to smash through them, ducking behind furniture or desks to avoid a Licker, overturning tables as a quick defense... Then most of the time spent in the RPD would be to get into the locked armory... you have little ammunition (and when you find spare shells, you have to load them into what little carrying space you have available -- no more carrying multiple weapons and hundreds of rounds of ammo)... you finally get into the armory, and find that most of it has been ransacked during the previous seiges... you get what you can, and then escape into the dark sewers... I want Resident Evil 1 to feel like a combination of Night of the Living Dead meets The House on Haunted Hill, and Resident Evil 2 to be like Dawn of the Dead and Assault on Precinct 13 had a love child.

I say introduce more stealth elements into the game... not go overboard into Metal Gear territory, but enough where you can play the game and approach challenges from different angles... I would like to see the controls/camera of the newer games, mixed with the survival elements of older games, a more open approach to solving challenges in the game, and reduce the action elements.

Regarding the Co-Op elements of the newer games: In my opinion, I like it, but it should be more of an option rather than forced into the game... As an example, in Resident Evil 1, you can play solo with either Jill or Chris and play their respective storylines. BUT, if two players wanted to play together, you could each play a bastardized version of both scenarios combined, and allow you both to split up on your own to investigate areas, but you wouldn't be allowd to leave, say, the Mansion unless you are both together... (Since the mansion would be one giant area with no loading, both players would have to be on the same map to reduce load -- just my guess). In this way, a player only worries about their character and doesn't have to have a buggy AI-controlled character tagging along, and ruining the horror of isolation...

Just some thoughts on my account. Anyone agree/disagree?
        100% Agreed, that's what I'm saying over and over everytime, the new Modern camera could work very well ! It's just the RE5/6 Engine that needs to be changed and they should write a new one from scratch P:
        Imagine an RE2make with all of the statements that you've listed above !

CO-OP Yes, say an RE2 Remake with Solo mode based on Original and CO-OP Bastardized mode based on darkside, as simple as that. Recently I thought of an RE2 Remake with that kind of Co-op option but rather instead 4P > Claire / Sherry and Leon /Ada separated from each other and each player takes role of one of the 4 characters P:
        Say the game had 4 scenarios and in that CO-OP Mode each player experiences that said scenario online. there are many Ideas that they could implement for CO-OP if that's the case for them ... even an extreme Raid/Battle mode ... yeah.

CO-OP isn't really much of a problem.

Ohh and Claire's bike Intro being playable until you reach the restaurant and take control of her there too that would be ... soo nice
        Last edited by Mrox2; 03-05-2013, 06:47 AM.
        Darkness : Tactical reload wasn't even in deadly silence LMAO
        ^ Lol ...

Comment

Originally posted by Konga View Post
          Also for reboots, what do you think of expanding on the idea of alternate timelines and 'what if' scenarios, such as if James Marcus survived, the G-virus wasn't flawed or if all of S.T.A.R.S died in the mansion incident etc.
          Not a fan. As I said before, I don't think that the story needs a reboot at all. Rather, the gameplay does.

Capcom can still scale the games back and create more isolated incidents with the story, even within the current story line. Something more realistic would be up my alley. I like how they at least tried to make the characters look realistic in RE6, when compared to some of the previous games.

Co-op can be fun, but I agree with you -- my issue is that it drags the single-player experience down. AI partners following your every footstep, blasting enemies, and blurting out lines about lobster dinners is not my idea of horror or atmosphere. Something similar to Dead Space 3 (which has optional co-op that changes the story slightly) would be fine by me. That way you can still play with friends and have fun, but also play by yourself for a more horror-based experience.

Locations need to make sense... No bathrooms? Art museum Police Station? Raccoon City has a half dozen laboratories built underneath it? [OK, so that last one might be extreme, but you get my point.] Raccoon City should feel like an American city... Hell, even the name sounds fake, though it could be possible... Capcom should design their game levels around the architecture of the buildings, but the opposite. When playing, we should have the feeling that these locations could exist in real life... Maybe possibly scaling things down...
          I couldn't agree more. The lack of bathrooms is indeed disturbing, and a lot of the locations were set up in unrealistic ways. The front hall of the RPD is a fine example, where the only way to get to the second floor was via an emergency escape ladder. Because yeah, I could clearly imagine all the doughnut-eating cops and secretaries climbing their fat asses up that ladder every day to get to their offices. And don't get me started on the Raccoon we see in RE3. At least Outbreak had realistic locations...

I'd rather see characters that have personal issues, conflicting personalities, and be at ages that reflect their training.
          Me too. The child geniuses and experienced police officers in their late teens and early twenties is ridiculous. I realize that Capcom made the characters that age to appeal to a younger fan base, but it's still absurd any way you look at it.

I wanna see them create tension and fear with the virus, and the fear of biological terrorism... It loses its fear when you have a monster that is the size of Godzilla.
          Ever since RE4, Capcom has been operating on a "bigger is better" mentality. It wasn't too overboard in that game (sans the cave trolls), but then you have skyscraper sized Uroboros-made-out-of-corpses and the whale BOW from Revelations. Throw in Simmons' Tyrannosaur and fly forms and there you have it. To me, the creepiest creatures in the entire series were man-sized, like the lickers, chimeras, bandersnatches, etc.
          Mass production? Ridiculous!

Comment

Originally posted by Det. Beauregard View Post
            I only agree with Claire, and to lesser extents Rebecca and Sheva. Steve is dead (how many times does this need to be said?), Billy was a support character for one game whose arc is clearly finished, and HUNK was only relevant in 1998 and is only really suited for bonus modes at this point.

Regardless of what many people think, Claire was a main character in the series' early days and should be brought back at some point. Working her into the story shouldn't be difficult or unnatural, especially with Chris, Sherry, and Leon all still involved in the series. I'd like to think that Rebecca and Barry simply moved on, but some light shed on their current situations would be nice. As for Sheva, I think she could return given her younger age and thirst to fight bioterrorism, but I'm sure Capcom is aware at how unpopular she was with the fan base.

Personally, I could care less about 90% of the new characters introduced since 4. Jessica, Raymond, and Lansdale looked like comic book rejects, Quint and (more so) Keith were obnoxious, Helena was bland filler, and Jake is wholly unnecessary and makes Steve Burnside look mature in comparison. The only ones with promise were Parker and to a lesser extent O'Brian, Sheva, and Josh.

To me, the characters in the 1998-era games were simply more interesting in every way.
            I totally agree with the first two paragraphs. Regarding the new generation characters, well, RE4 killed all its characters except for Ashley so..., but I would like to see Sheva, Josh, Parker, Jessica or Raymond. It´s totally untrue that old characters were better than new ones, old characters simply had more appearances and that is what make them having more fans, because having a past in the series is what make them stronger characters. If Capcom brings a second oportunity to new characters they could become more interesting to the fans, but it seems that they don´t want to take the risk of making a game without Chris or Leon these days. A cowardly stance for sure.

Agree with this too, you guys save me lots of words today. Capcom should take a look at least to modern games like Batman Arkham series as example, wich shows an excelent combination of figthing face to face moments, stealth moments, and also many exploration.
            I hope they stop forcing story in favor of coop, the real coop is a amazing feature, but when you want to replay the game, let´s say two or tree years after (I do it often), and you can´t find any partner is a pain in the ass.
            The Resident Evil 3D Animation Showcase

Comment

The main story pretty much collapsed within 30 seconds of RE4 starting. If want to count Wesker since he was there from the start then RE5 ended it. The universe is worse than MGS at this point.

Reboot.
              Beanovsky Durst - "They are not pervs. They are japanese."

Comment

Why don't they start a new horror game series instead of beating a dead horse over and over again ? i cant see the story moves on after re6 with our beloved wesker and umbrella are long gone, it's either a reboot or cancel the resident evil series for good, just my two cents !

Comment

The universe is fine, still one of the most viable in the industry. The writers are bad. This won't change with a reboot.

Wesker and Umbrella weren't handled very well as soon as Mikami thought he could write worth shit. But BH4's plot works fine on its own, while everything since then has been relatively solid save for BH6 which actually has a great foundation for its story, but it's padded with shit due to atrocious design decisions from the director, who probably surpasses Mikami's awful lack of talent in story.
                  Last edited by News Bot; 03-06-2013, 07:51 AM.
                  PROJECT Umbrella - The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium

Comment

Originally posted by originalzombie View Post
                    Why don't they start a new horror game series instead of beating a dead horse over and over again ? i cant see the story moves on after re6 with our beloved wesker and umbrella are long gone, it's either a reboot or cancel the resident evil series for good, just my two cents !
                    Has it ever been explained how come Wesker has all of the abilities he is trying to infuse/breed in his super soldiers?:/

Comment

Originally posted by originalzombie View Post
                      Because horror games just captivate a small public these days and that means for Capcom very low sales, even if it is an excelent horror game. Compared to the MF shooter market, the horror market is too small.
                      The story doesn`t depend on Wesker or Umbrella, it depends on good screenwriters and intention from Capcom to make it, so it can continue, but certainly, RE must finish its story someday in a proper way.
                      I don`t like to see a Resident Evil 14 or something, the franchise needs an end and not too far. I think probably a good option is to have a final trilogy with a refreshing survival oriented gameplay with a good story and a good conclusion of unfinished plots from previous games. Since Resident Evil started as a trilogy on PSX, a final trilogy would be a great way to finish the saga in my opinion.
                      Last edited by Lanzagranadas; 03-06-2013, 10:57 PM.
                      The Resident Evil 3D Animation Showcase

Comment

Working...
                      X