The Tale of 1.5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Tale of 1.5

Alright, so here’s the thing about 1.5 - it’s a slightly bizarre tale. And I’m one of a handful of people who even knows a semi-decent chunk of the story, although I’m sure there are bits of it I’m missing. Since some douche canoe is apparently going to leak the original build I want to talk about exactly what he’s doing and why he has no right to do it.

About a year and a half ago a long time friend of mine, and a well respected member of the Resident Evil Community, approached me - “Jon, you got any cash?” I said no, because it was after New Year - I was pretty broke. I asked why? And got told, “I’ve finally found 1.5.”

I should explain this a little - 1.5 was actually found a long time ago, but the individual with the disc was unwilling to sell. After years of communicating with the guy who owned the disc, my friend was the one he went to with an offer. We are talking years of dedication here.

But the price was high. I’ve seen a few numbers thrown around, so here’s the one you want. $8000. Yes, those three zeroes are not a typo. Eight grand in US currency. I said I could throw in a few hundred once everything was confirmed (a very nice video was promptly sent to me) but between the two of us we weren’t comming close. I roped in a friend, he got a couple of, ‘Yeah, we might be able to help’ but there was one person I knew had the cash to get this done. My friend was a little nervous and unwilling, but we didn’t have much choice, so he went.

And suddenly the deed was done. It’s amazing how a huge wad of cash does thing. A PayPal account was set up and the people who could pay did. I wasn’t one of them. I regret that a bit now. Not, you know, enough to actually give anyone money...but a bit. Why? Because there were a couple of people who threw in a couple of hundred bucks that weren’t entirely trustworthy.

I still got the game, though. Yes, I’ve had 1.5 for a year and a half. Shocking, I know. Why have I been keeping it a secret?

The beta is a buggy, glitchy mess. I know there was some talk of the Air Jesus Build released by IGAS was somehow broken, but it’s actually a bit better in most respects than the original beta. Bar one door that you can accidently go through from several feet away (hence the Magic Door nickname the team used) it’s been fixed a bit. Air Jesus was there the whole time, and it’s really, really annoying. Not only that but the sewer rooms are locked, bar one long corridor, and half the models are completely skinless (The Three Faces of Leon is especially odd).

But I’m getting ahead of myself. So we, this secret cabal, played the game. And there just wasn’t much to it. The script (what there is) gave some hints, but the game was pretty low on actual content. So one person, the person who put up the money, started assembling a team to fix it. IGAS.

But there were, oh, eight people who contributed. And then there were people like me, who got a copy out of friendship, respect or terror. I very quickly lost track of exactly who had a copy. See, the guy who organized all this was excited he sent out copies with no way to track them, to try and ensure people behave. I’m honestly shocked it’s taken as long as it has to get to a point where we’re in real danger of a leak.

Of course, IGAS has it’s share of problem. Bar the lead programming monkey (the guy who uses the nickname D.Birkin on the Horror, I think - I never actually bothered to ask) the initial batch of people to help were people who already had a copy. But due to some of the changes going a bit too far, such as changing the weapon logos to the RE2 versions, a lot of people dropped out. Initially, rebuilding the game to a complete version wasn’t in the cards - at least, not from what I was told. This was mostly just fixing the really broken bits, opening up the sewers, stuff like that. But it grew.

Then we got the image leaks that started it all. Basically, someone asked someone else for feedback, and the person who was asked (who is not a member of IGAS) leaked the images by accident, or something. I’m not very clear on that one. It made the project public way before it was meant to be, and has made stuff very stressful.

Equally unfortunately, someone who had helped fund things had been talking to people a bit too loosely. Loose lips can apparently sink ships and put dents in beta restoration projects. Who knew? But that’s where GManWillis got his info from. All his info. He never had a copy, and he certainly never got hold of a more complete copy.

The team had been repopulated by people who were A) more onboard with a full restoration and B) had actually useful skills and knowledge. Unfortunately, one of those people was in touch with Colvin, and shared him some pictures. Colvin instantly ran across the internet, screaming that he had 1.5 info, and we all need to look at him. Of course, he screamed it to several IGAS members...

But the info he gave in exchange was considered useful to the project. Colvin, if nothing else, is useful at getting things. So all was forgiven. And then, to finally get all the info Colvin had, the IGAS member sent him the Magic Door build.

The idea was that they wouldn’t need Colvin anymore, and that Colvin wouldn’t dare go public because IGAS could obliterate him. He had far more to lose than they did. Unfortunately, the person who was dealing with Colvin hadn’t been around in the good old days, and was genuinely surprised when Colvin announced he had some debts and was going to sell 1.5 to cover those debts.

Yes, Colvin didn’t pay a penny for the game, but by God he was going to make money on it. Plus the fame he always seems to have craved. Well, he got it...The plan was to sell for a small price, but sell wide, it seems. He even managed to sell a few copies before IGAS found out exactly what he was up to and dumped the build publically themselves to stop him. I have a good idea exactly who got those copies, and it would partially explain why they hate IGAS so much.

And now we have this. Yet another guy, trying to dump a beta he didn’t pay for. I dunno why. I’ve become pretty fed up with the RE community as of late, especially over at the Horror, to the point where I told the admin there, Carn, that I was bowing out a few weeks ago. But it is enough to piss me off, seeing the people who’ve genuinely worked hard and paid a ridiculous sum of money getting shafted because of this guy. So when I was told about this, I decided to write this message.

Why? Because I know a lot of people are going to over joyed to see this leak, and I want you guys to understand two things - the guy leaking it is an opportunistic bastard, probably one of the people who got a friendship copy (or someone those friendship copies have spread to) and he deserves none of your thanks. The people you should be thanking are people who are remaining anonymous - I’m not one of them. I was invited to work for IGAS, but I have no technical skills. I didn’t pay a penny. I’ve simply been here, around the edges, for all this time.

So there you have it. No, I’m not naming names. I know most of them - often the real names - but I’m not telling. And no, if this turns out to be a hoax, I’m not leaking my copy. It’s not mine to leak. I didn’t pay for it. And believe me, it’s been hard when people have been screwing people out of cash for this. I could do with a large sum of money. I have four kids and a bank account hovering on empty. But I’m not Colvin, and I’m not GManWillis, and I’m not any of the other people who’ve taken advantage of this.

And if the original iso leaks...remember to say thank you to the people who deserve your thanks, even if you don’t know their name.

Have fun, folks.

Jon.

And here we go again with people getting pissed at others for leaking a beta "they dont own" when its not their property to begin with. Just because they paid for a disc, makes no difference when copyright comes into the picture. Nobody can claim anything.

Comment

Why yes, I am pissed about it. He didn't do any of the work, put in any of the time or put in any of the $8000 that bought it - but it's A-OK for him to dump it? At least I can honestly say I put the first two in, if not the cash.

Comment

Originally posted by ccrogers15 View Post
        And here we go again with people getting pissed at others for leaking a beta "they dont own" when its not their property to begin with. Just because they paid for a disc, makes no difference when copyright comes into the picture. Nobody can claim anything.
        Please keep this sort of stuff to yourself ... in fact, just go keep to yourself.

Originally posted by Darkmoon View Post
        I’ve become pretty fed up with the RE community as of late, especially over at the Horror, to the point where I told the admin there, Carn, that I was bowing out a few weeks ago.
        Yeah. I was kinda just keeping that message in my inbox just looking at it and pretending it wasn't there. You're like the only fully active moderator we've had for ages. Me dropping in and out of the boards probably says a lot about how I'm tired of the place too. (Seeing recent activity and stuff, I'm starting to regret renewing the server for two more years, but there's always been talks of recycling the server and domain for something slightly less likely to garner the activity of mutants)

Anyway, I can agree with Jon's bottom line; Giving credit where credit's due is something to live by. As far as the whole 1.5 thing goes; BeefWellington made a thank you thread a few months ago and I see Zork's YouTube comments are always full of supportive activity too. That's nice.
        Last edited by Carnivol; 06-02-2013, 06:09 AM.

Comment

It's not impossible I'll return, at some point. I have some private, personal stuff going on that's left me incapable of dealing with a lot of you people because, frankly, a lot of you are asshole. The number of people I respect is small - the number of people I like is tiny. I am kicking around at BioHaze a little, relaxing and just being a member, and the people I give a crap about can contact me via Facebook or messenger.

But no, unless this guy personally found a different copy and paid for it, I don't feel he has the right to dump it. Team IGAS paid for it, put in the work, and deserve the credit. It's that simple.

Comment

THIA members were always speculating and accusing newsbot of possessing a legit copy of RE1.5 beta that he don't wanna share with the community, but i never thought it was you darkmoon LOL ! The good news is that these false accusations will be lifted off newsbot shoulder thanks to you ! unless he possess a copy of BH3.5 LOL !

Comment

it's good to know the tale, but when you start talking about who has the right to property that no one ever had the right to buy kind of throws things off. makes it seem like an honor amongst thieves type deal. it's not like capcom got paid for it. it had to be stolen or redistributed illegally at some point.

and you say colvin got his copy in exchange for information, then it was his to do with what he wanted. fair and square.

i don't feel like the rules change just because its 1.5, this is still life.
              Last edited by J0shuaKane; 06-02-2013, 06:30 AM.

Comment

News Bot has his sources, but a disc isn't one of them. Heck, I only have a disc because I burnt one. There's only one disc, after all, and I never saw it. I got an ISO, as did most people. And that ISO is backed up on two flash drives and a hard drive that's not plugged in.

Comment

Originally posted by J0shuaKane View Post
                  it's good to know the tale, but when you start talking about who has the right to property that no one ever had the right to buy kind of throws things off. makes it seem like an honor amongst thieves type deal. it's not like capcom got paid for it. it had to be stolen or redistributed illegally at some point.

and you say colvin got his copy in exchange for information, then it was his to do with what he wanted. fair and square.

i don't feel like the rules change just because its 1.5, this is still life.
                  As I understand it, he gave his word he wouldn't. He broke that word.

Again, I personally feel that unless someone has put in the time and cash, they should respect the feelings of those who did. I, personally, was of the opinion it should be dropped and the restoration project started after that, but the feeling was it could be used to get more betas (which nearly happened, and Colvin's leak fucked up, by the way - so when you see someone asking for the other big RE betas? Thank Colvin for not having them).

I didn't leak it, and won't, out of respect for the members of IGAS, particularly the one individual who put $6000 of his own money towards the project. Feel to disagree with me. But remember - they are the only reason this guy can leak it, most likely, and this post is to make sure they get there credit. Not to stop this guy dumping it. I have no control over him. I just wanted to explain where it came from, and where the credit should really go.

Comment

Originally posted by J0shuaKane View Post
                    the usual bullshit
                    Your posts always made me shake my head, but this one nearly made it fall off.

Anyway, it's nice to be able to picture the whole situation, but this community is indeed depressing and if THIA closes there won't be much left when it comes to Resident Evil communities. It's really sad.

Comment

Originally posted by Darkmoon View Post
                      I, personally, was of the opinion it should be dropped and the restoration project started after that, but the feeling was it could be used to get more betas (which nearly happened, and Colvin's leak fucked up, by the way - so when you see someone asking for the other big RE betas? Thank Colvin for not having them).
                      That really sucks.

Any idea what era of development the other builds were from? Or is that remaining private in the rare chance they might come forward again?

Comment

Wow I'm so surprised....not.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Hunter View Post
                          Your posts always made me shake my head, but this one nearly made it fall off.

Anyway, it's nice to be able to picture the whole situation, but this community is indeed depressing and if THIA closes there won't be much left when it comes to Resident Evil communities. It's really sad.
                          seems like you are taking this personally. even people that completely disagree with me don't think my posts are "usual bullshit". i think you have some other agenda.

to do something out of respect is understandable, but not something to be expected form everyone. and if colvin lied and went against the agreement, then i am wrong and sorry for defending his actions.

and when one empire falls another will rise. if this place goes down another board will take its place.

AND TO WHOEVER WHEREVER MYSTERIOUS STRANGER, THANK YOU FOR YOU SACRIFICE!!!
                          Last edited by J0shuaKane; 06-02-2013, 07:25 AM.

Comment

I think after what DarkMoon just wrote it's incredibly if not the highest point of disrespect to say to them 'YOU DONT FULLY OWN IT NEWAY'.
                            Please, just don't post if you're going to say something like that. It's not about Capcom owning it, its about the morals of screwing over a team who payed $8000 on a game so that they could touch it up and release it for you ungrateful bastards. The fact is, these people got it because they were trusted and clearly - they only want their e-fame. It's not about 'oh you guys woulda freaked out if someone did this a couple years ago' when back then, no-one was working on a full recreation of all missing content.

This community disgusts me, I am genuinely disgusted at all the comments I've seen begging for content, demanding videos, praising leaks, smiting the team because they can't get their head around hacking into the disc to rip content (then you probably shouldn't be hacking/making mods), and now smiting the team because some cunt received a copy off them for trust yet screws them over and praises that said cunt.

"This is why we can't have nice things."

Comment

But if someone out of the team and completely neutral decides to leak the vanilla build from their own source, is it looked upon as 'bad' and 'against the $ whoever paid for it'?

What if someone themselves paid an amount out and decides to dump it, there isn't really anything nor anyone could do about it.
                              Zombies...zombies everywhere...

Comment

Working...
                              X