No announcement yet.

Resident Evil: Behind the Mask [+Hazardous Battle]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• @ RetroRain - It's definitely no walk in the park! But I get the idea that all 3D modelling/rendering software will come with their own learning curve requiring time and dedication to learn. I've learned a lot of basics about meshes and materials from Blender, creating some scenes by following YouTube tutorials step by step. I would have to do this no matter what software I choose to use because I really have no experience with any of them. I'm at the point now where I could quite easily create a basic room structure with lighting just like Capcom did with their very early renders and that's the first step to creating rooms as they did, modelling some of my own objects and placing them in the rooms would be the next step, followed by learning how to apply more advanced materials and textures for more realistic scenes like their final renders.

I'm sure these concepts are relevant no matter what software you use, the trick with Blender is just to get used to its cumbersome controls which at first do feel really backwards, such as using right click for the selection tool and left click for the cursor, it is counter intuitive I will admit (these controls can be changed in the properties menu if they give you trouble). But once you get used to it you can use it efficiently just like any other skill you learn, it just takes a little time and patience. If you feel like giving it another go do as I did and follow some YouTube tutorials step by step, they teach you how to use its basic features and prepare you for constructing things on your own, if you can get over the first hump I promise you'll feel better about it!

Spoiler:

Here's something I created in Blender after following a YT tutorial, a mixture of different meshes, materials, particle systems and compositing. I can do this on my own now without any assistance, a good first step in the right direction. Sorry for hijacking the thread, posted just to give RetroRain an idea of what can be done in Blender with very little time dedicated to it, I feel its worth sticking to it if money is a serious issue for people who still want to create scenes. I won't post any more images.

@ Gemini - Interesting, I've never heard of C4D, I'll have to give it a look if it's affordable. SonicBlue's artwork looks very authentic. I'm sure the hard part is getting the lighting to render at the same level of detail, something beyond my current knowledge. But I'm happy with my current rate of learning with Blender, I'm hoping to be able to create some nice looking rooms of my own one day.
    Last edited by Guest; 12-04-2014, 09:45 PM.

Comment

• Gemeni

Allow me to congratulate you for your efforts on remaking Resident Evil Survivor. The project looks promising.

I recently opened a long topic on Resident Evil Survivor, I was wondering you if ever laid eyes on it. If you read it I hope you find anything useful about it to be applied on Behind the Mask.

Good work!

Comment

• It would be nice if the project dark biohazard, will review the light thanks to you, I know DarkDarkmoon knows anything about the plot of this project.

Comment

• I always loved those backgrounds but I never knew where they came from.

Comment

• I thought they were horrible and they just look off to me.

Comment

• Originally posted by geluda View Post
              @ Gemini - Interesting, I've never heard of C4D, I'll have to give it a look if it's affordable.
              There should be a shareware version with most functions intact.

Originally posted by Trentman View Post
              I recently opened a long topic on Resident Evil Survivor, I was wondering you if ever laid eyes on it. If you read it I hope you find anything useful about it to be applied on Behind the Mask.
              I did read it, but most of the useful info was already provided during planning (fortunately, I'd hate to make further research into TOSE's stuff).

Originally posted by blackpower View Post
              It would be nice if the project dark biohazard, will review the light thanks to you

Originally posted by geluda View Post
              I always loved those backgrounds but I never knew where they came from.
              I think those were created using flat cubes with projected textures or whatever (explains why they look flat and with perspective errors). They evolved into proper renders when c2keo started working on that aspect.

[EDIT] New video footage showcasing the newly added Cerberus:

More info in description. Just in case, I'm not going to include Rusty's Grant in any version because I didn't ask for his permission, but God if it's too good to go to waste.
              Last edited by Gemini; 12-10-2014, 12:42 PM.

Resident Evil: Behind the Mask twitter
              , also in Facebookian flavor for great justice.

Comment

• Bumpty-doo from Tyrants:

As you might have noticed from the video posted above, I'm going again into full AI programming mode. What I'm working right now on is T-002 in both his regular and enraged incarnations, plus the Golden T-002 people have been asking me to add for a while. Fortunately the patterns he uses are simple enough to reproduce, but since I like making this stuff as close as possible to the original, I gathered some info straight out of RE1 in order to make it as accurate as possible (even the heart beats at the same rate, only without the ugly code RE1 uses to animate it).

I've also looked into Yawn's AI, gathered as much info as possible on it; he shall be the next enemy to be implemented just as soon as I'm done with T-002.

Comment

• That looks awesome. I'd love to fight the Yawn in the main hall or somewhere else for a change.

Comment

• Great job ! I'm very happy that You're implementing bosses into Hazardous Battle , it'd be great to encounter them in more dangerous situations ( let's be serious , RE1 bosses are mostly very easy , and some of them can even be skipped ). I'd like to know one thing : do You document AI by experimenting by Yourself in-game / watching game footage , or do You actually look at the game's assembly in order to understand it ?

Comment

• Including Chimera on the confined 2nd floor dining room, east corridor and west stairs would be a nice alternative, irc deadly silence had crows in the dining room and west stairs instead.
                      Last edited by Mikhail; 12-12-2014, 02:14 PM.

Comment

• Thanks I'll check it out!

It would be fun if Yawn went berserk and starting smashing its way through room to room, kind of like Nemesis did in BIO3. Obviously adding structural damage to the backgrounds would probably be a hard task, but would be interesting to play through BIO1 like that, Yawn has always been a pretty scary enemy to me.

Comment

• Looking forward to seeing the death scenes implemented. As long as they're not the cheap RE2 death scenes, where the blood splatters on the screen, and then everything becomes all wavy. The first game did the death scenes pretty good.
                          Last edited by RetroRain; 12-12-2014, 04:13 PM.
                          My YouTube Channel - www.youtube.com/user/RetroRain2
                          ROM Hacking Forum - acmlm.kafuka.org

Comment

• Originally posted by Scream View Post
                            That looks awesome. I'd love to fight the Yawn in the main hall or somewhere else for a change.
                            That gave me an idea about mission patterns.

Originally posted by Saavas View Post
                            do You document AI by experimenting by Yourself in-game / watching game footage , or do You actually look at the game's assembly in order to understand it ?
                            I have the sources... Just kidding. I did some extensive research on the assembly in order to gather information on how AI patterns work; most enemies seem to be quite plain and it's easy to understand their flow, even if the code is a complete wreck due to the general ugly style RE1 implements.
                            For example, T-002 has 11 actions he can perform and there are 2 pattern procedures that makes it decide which to choose from the list, one for regular T-002 and the other for his Super counterpart (i.e. they are the same enemy for the most, like the two Yawns). Most actions are based on a distance and a timer, meaning it's really easy to make it perform once action or another depending on the situation.
                            What really sucks is how much inefficiently RE1 deals with code, so I'm really reimplementing the enemies with an idea of what the original functions do. This is what my heart beat function looks like:

CAPCOM's is like 4 times longer, a lot slower due to a ton matrix math, and generally redundant in many ways. It even spawns the heart as a separate enemy for whatever limitation the engine has. Yuck.

Originally posted by geluda View Post
                            It would be fun if Yawn went berserk and starting smashing its way through room to room, kind of like Nemesis did in BIO3. Obviously adding structural damage to the backgrounds would probably be a hard task, but would be interesting to play through BIO1 like that, Yawn has always been a pretty scary enemy to me.
                            Probably a bit too much, especially with most rooms not being suitable for Yawn to find his way. Anyways, there are many more ways to make the game interesting in every room without the need of bosses spawning everywhere.

Originally posted by RetroRain View Post
                            Looking forward to seeing the death scenes implemented. As long as they're not the cheap RE2 death scenes, where the blood splatters on the screen, and then everything becomes all wavy. The first game did the death scenes pretty good.
                            I'm leaving them untouched, at least for bosses. Tyrant will impale you after a combo and toss you away and Yawn will devour you.

Here goes another screen with some more updates:

The main loop pattern should be done for lab T-002 (eye candy: the claw becomes red after dealing the first hit), still needs more code for the other one. Also gotta work on hit detection, but that seems to be only one function doing it all for every possible weapon (except the rocket launcher on T-002).

[EDIT] And there they go:

As usual the implementation is a little rough, so it's going to lack proper sound samples and other minor stuff related to polishing. Other than that, I'm pretty done with lab T-002. Tomorrow I'll start working on heliport T-002 model and his code (it literally needs just a couple more routines to be filled), but for today I'm well more than satisfied.
                            Last edited by Gemini; 12-12-2014, 08:24 PM.

Comment

• Totally awesome!. Can't wait for more. Are the framerates improved or is that the illusion?

Out of curiosity where did you get that Grant model?

Comment

• i heard dino crispo

Comment

Working...
                                X