No announcement yet.

Outgrowing Resident Evil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There's nothing wrong with achievements and multiplayer/extra content, they won't do any harm as long as the game don't lose its focus and you can still enjoy a great main story/campaign, I'm just being sarcastic at the situation.

RE4 changed gameplay, genre and game style, aim/combat system, and setting completely. Added things like enemy drops and money system, expanded inventory for instant access to a huge and overpowered arsenal, added tons of damn button smasher QTEs and almost wiped off bactracking.
    RE5 changed the structure (replayable chapters, check points replacing typewriters), added co-op and MP features and definitely killed backtracking.
    RE6 revamped the gameplay and combat system again and kept and expanded everything 4 and 5 did before, even what they did wrong. So all of them contributed to remove the survival horror from RE. RER was the only effort to fix some of those things.
    The Resident Evil 3D Animation Showcase

Comment

The only thing I liked about RE4 was the typewriters.. although if they bring those back, they should bring back the ink ribbons too.

Checkpoints in modern games ruin any consequences of dying, especially when you spawn back with full health right where you died.
      If they added more proper puzzles and backtracking (RE Revelations was getting better at this) and typewriters, would be better.

My biggest annoyance right now with the series is the whole ''oh another terrorist trying to take over the world''.. bboorriinngg!! Its getting old.
      Bring back Umbrella, Tricell or some new equivalent - make RE scary again.
      "I never thought any of this stuff my brother taught me would work!"

Comment

Originally posted by RaccoonSurvivor View Post
        The only thing I liked about RE4 was the typewriters.. although if they bring those back, they should bring back the ink ribbons too.

Checkpoints in modern games ruin any consequences of dying, especially when you spawn back with full health right where you died.
        If they added more proper puzzles and backtracking (RE Revelations was getting better at this) and typewriters, would be better.

My biggest annoyance right now with the series is the whole ''oh another terrorist trying to take over the world''.. bboorriinngg!! Its getting old.
        Bring back Umbrella, Tricell or some new equivalent - make RE scary again.
        I too miss the enigmatic nature of Umbrella. I really wanted to see how that was all going to unfold, finding Spencer, etc. The way it was handled is unfortunate.
        sigpic
        "Must the State continue to exist once the question of labor and capital shall be practically solved? We reply in the negative. We are anarchists."

Comment

Originally posted by Lanzagranadas View Post
          I've just played the new Tomb Raider and I felt like I was playing the "RE4 version of Tomb Raider", result: I said "fuck your reboot Square Enix" and uninstalled the game after 3 hours playing it. Core era's Tomb Raider (at least from I to IV) where amazing platform puzzled adventure games, even Crystal Dynamics did a better job than this new one... just another linear action TPS with nice graphics.
          Crystal did the new Tomb Raider also. I agree with you though, the new TR reboot sucks. The reboot Crystal did with TR: Legend was much better, especially following it up with Anniverary. The Legend reboot is the one I think best for RE at this point, where Lara did not change and the story was started over with similar but different storylines.

Originally posted by Sly View Post
          That doesn't make sense. That's like saying "I'll kill my child and make a new one to save him from dying." You don't save anything by destroying it in the first place.
          Rebooting the story but keeping the characters as they were originally is more like cutting a branch off a tree because it is cankered. Sure the tree is going to lose a lot of what it is, but that canker is just going to kill the tree if left be. Better to cut off the branch and let something healthy grow in its place.

Wouldn't be destroying anything, if you want that branch, keep it around somewhere.
          Beanovsky Durst - "They are not pervs. They are japanese."

Comment

Originally posted by Dracarys View Post
            Crystal did the new Tomb Raider also. I agree with you though, the new TR reboot sucks. The reboot Crystal did with TR: Legend was much better, especially following it up with Anniverary. The Legend reboot is the one I think best for RE at this point, where Lara did not change and the story was started over with similar but different storylines.
            Oh, true, it`s still Crystal Dynamics+Square Enix, and it looks like Square was the publisher so actually I shouldn't blame them. Yes, I enjoyed Legend-Anniversary-Underworld more than TR 2013, but Core era was by far the best, at least from I to IV, can't say the same about Chronicles and Angel of Darkness, didn't like those two.

Comment

I still like resident evil but it feels like capcom is just trying to make the games like the Paul Anderson movies heck capcom even stole the laser scene room from the 1st resident evil movie in Umbrella Chronicles for wii and ps3.

the worst characters in resident evil now is Jake followed by Chris , They completely ruined resident evil 6 with their Shiity Attitudes and over acting , plus I can't stand hearing troy baker in nearly every single game these days it's like oh really it's you again...........

so yeah what capcom seem to be doing with resident evil games these days is trying to add some Hollywood style , but I think with resident evil you just need to keep it simple , but I doubt that will happen any time soon lol.
              Last edited by chrisliam2; 05-23-2014, 12:01 PM.

Comment

From B Movie to Hollywood, no wonder RE went downhill.

Comment

Originally posted by Dracarys View Post
                  Rebooting the story but keeping the characters as they were originally is more like cutting a branch off a tree because it is cankered. Sure the tree is going to lose a lot of what it is, but that canker is just going to kill the tree if left be. Better to cut off the branch and let something healthy grow in its place.

Wouldn't be destroying anything, if you want that branch, keep it around somewhere.
                  No, because you would be cutting off the whole tree, not just a branch. That still doesn't make sense.

Comment

I don't think a reboot would hurt the series to be honest as it seems fairly detached from the plot that made it interesting in the first place. RE4 felt so drastic to me that it almost seemed like a reboot anyway. From the point onward I've felt no interest in the storylines or characters at all. There are a few things left that I find interesting that have potential but I don't believe they would be properly developed and any form of continuation of the original plot seems shoehorned in for the sake of familiarity for older fans.
                    sigpic
                    "Must the State continue to exist once the question of labor and capital shall be practically solved? We reply in the negative. We are anarchists."

Comment

No, because you would be cutting off the whole tree, not just a branch. That still doesn't make sense.
                      This is not what I said. You clearly don't want a reboot of any kind which is fine but please end this pretence that you cannot read.
                      Last edited by Dracarys; 05-24-2014, 03:33 AM.
                      Beanovsky Durst - "They are not pervs. They are japanese."

Comment

Originally posted by Kegluneq View Post
                        Something that has been lacking ever since Resident Evil 4 would be atmosphere. I don't think that Capcom has been capable of recreating that feel of hopelessness and looseness that was present in the trilogy. It feels like you're just going from one stage to another, scenarios dissembled from each other, without a certain build up like in previous games. The desperation of having to go back to the mansion in Resident Evil 1 and having to face the most deadly enemies of the game, or being thrown in the sewers after successfully navigating the hell that was the RPD station or having Nemesis still chasing you to the Clocktower until you were inevitably forced to face it - even if not necessarily difficult, these narrative elements helped to mess with the player's psyche.
                        This is precisely why I wasn't as invested in the later installments.

I don't want to be a walking arsenal blasting my way through increasingly ridiculous BOWs. I want to be cold, alone, and frightened, without radio communication, forced to ration what I have and search desperately for more along the way. I want my only goals to be escape and survival.

Comment

She subscribes to the reasoning that if you keep some things vaguely similar then it's alright. The Tomb Raider comparison doesn't work either. That series had barely 1/10th of a story compared to this one. Didn't they completely change Lara's backstory barely halfway into the original series? lol.

Fact is, a reboot won't "heal" anything. All of the current problems are endemic to CAPCOM. You have to fundamentally change how the developers approach things. The series itself isn't holding anything back or tainting its own quality. Its creators are. And they will continue to do so. If you think they're suddenly going to go gonzo and shy away from approaches which make money, you're a fool.
                          PROJECT Umbrella - The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium

Comment

Series is dead.
                            See you in hell.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Spencer View Post
                              Series is dead.
                              This.

Goddamn this.

#RIP #Capcomblows #Fuckit

I never outgrew the series; the series outgrew me.
                              If it still had ANY fucking vestige of the original trilogy, I would still be interested. It's like that shit never happened.
                              Last edited by REmaster; 05-27-2014, 06:09 AM.
                              "One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate... and thus defy the tyrannous stars."
                              Resident Evil/Castlevania/ Silent Hill/Onimusha/Tekken /Dark Souls

Comment

So "No hope left" for RE?

Comment

Working...
                                X