No announcement yet.

Outgrowing Resident Evil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't know what they said about RE6 because I stayed away from news, trailers and any possible spoilers since it was first announced. But frankly, I don't care or believe in promises since long ago, I just wait some months after a game is released, then read many critics/reviews and then decide to whether buy it, not buy it, or wait till its price drops.

I'll do the same with 7 and likely won't be the only one. Capcom knows they have to be careful with their promises because almost nobody will believe them now.
    The Resident Evil 3D Animation Showcase

Comment

Originally posted by Spencer
      We had the same misguided hope with RE6. "Oh, let's see how RE6 turns out!" and once again we were wrong, just as we'll be wrong again with RE7. People cling on to false hope, too much stock invested in the series and too afraid to know when tto walk away.
      To be honest, I had no hope for RE6 before it was announced. I was expecting it to be like RE5 but perhaps with zombies instead of ganados/majini. But the game was disappointing mostly because it had too much flaws, not because it wasn't Resident Evil. At least for me.

Strangely, I've got much more faith in RE7 than I had in RE6. Don't ask me why, though.

Comment

I still love the older games, and only played RE3 a week or two ago. I also still watch streams of people running through the originals. RE4 is a very fun action game to me and I could replay that a lot. RE5.. meh. It was fun at the time but not crazy about it.

I really enjoyed Revelations and think it's the best new entry in the series for a long while. I loved that it was more survival horror and scary, and the dark atmosphere. I also liked the little nods to the Divine Comedy which I love.

RE6, I've never even played and I've had the game for years. Just not interested. Story looks crap and it isn't the same anymore. Not terribly interested in anything new. My favourite game series is Mass Effect now.

Comment

Alexia, this is hardly the place but long time no speak.

Heard you're a married woman now, congratulations to you both.

Also, to reiterate my point - the series is dead. RE6 for many people was the last straw, and who can blame them? The Capcom logo used to be a sign of quality, now it provokes the same reaction of doubt as seeing EA emblazoned on box art. To be fair, the entire industry has gone to shit.
          Last edited by Mr. Spencer; 05-30-2014, 06:53 AM.
          See you in hell.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Spencer View Post
            Alexia, this is hardly the place but long time no speak.

Heard you're a married woman now, congratulations to you both.

Also, to reiterate my point - the series is dead. RE6 for many people was the last straw, and who can blame them? The Capcom logo used to be a sign of quality, now it provokes the same reaction of doubt as seeing EA emblazoned on box art. To be fair, the entire industry has gone to shit.
            Forgive me for speaking on her behalf, but surely the fact that Alexia_Ashford is still playing the series, proves you wrong Spencer! I long gave up stressing about the destruction of the series quality & integrity, I did enough of that after RE4, and no matter how poo and devoid of survival horror RE5 & RE6 are, they have no effect on my love affair with the first 3 main titles, Dead Aim & CVX. Revelations gets better with time for me, and was pretty damn good from the start, I still have hope for the E3 announcement. The series is not dead, it has spectacularly failed to live up to the heights of RE3, but then RE3 was one of the greatest video games of all time - so whilst I deplore Capcom for the obviously stupid arse mistakes they made, like the constant changing of production teams, and inclusion of cheap & ill thought through gimmicks, and MOST OF ALL the spineless, cowardly substitution of survival horror, melancholy narrative files & peculiar puzzles for over-saturated ammo rich gun fights, I also afford them the understanding that Capcom set themselves some f****** high standards, and there have been, and will be more glimpses of these heights.
            Last edited by GEORGE TREVOR; 05-30-2014, 05:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexia_Ashford View Post
              I still love the older games, and only played RE3 a week or two ago. I also still watch streams of people running through the originals. RE4 is a very fun action game to me and I could replay that a lot. RE5.. meh. It was fun at the time but not crazy about it.

I really enjoyed Revelations and think it's the best new entry in the series for a long while. I loved that it was more survival horror and scary, and the dark atmosphere. I also liked the little nods to the Divine Comedy which I love.

RE6, I've never even played and I've had the game for years. Just not interested. Story looks crap and it isn't the same anymore. Not terribly interested in anything new. My favourite game series is Mass Effect now.
              Preeeetty much. At this point for me, Revelations was just meh. Not that it was bad, but it just couldn't restore the series to what it used to be. It's too deep of a hole to crawl out of at this point. The series is dying, the communities are dying. The most we can do is be nostalgic about Resident Evil at this point. No reason why we can't enjoy what it once was.

Mass Effect is pretty great yeah. I've been playing a lot of League of Legends myself. =)
              Last edited by Inferno04; 06-02-2014, 03:51 AM.

Comment

REV suffers for the same reason CV and 0 suffered.

TOSE.
                PROJECT Umbrella - The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium

Comment

I fail to see how tose causes suffering, considering they were more capable in developing a solid resident evil than capcom. Rather have revelations, 0, and code Veronica than 5 or 6

Comment

Originally posted by Drake View Post
                    I fail to see how tose causes suffering, considering they were more capable in developing a solid resident evil than capcom. Rather have revelations, 0, and code Veronica than 5 or 6
                    TOSE are statistically terrible and third-rate. They're also responsible for Gun Survivor.

REV is *good* but not amazing. 5 and 6 are still both solid games, their faults lie in design. TOSE's faults lie in just about everything else. Programming, models, textures, etc.
                    PROJECT Umbrella - The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium

Comment

REV is a good game. People bash it for no good reason. The only "flaws" I can think of are the story and the characters' designs, everything else is no less good than RE5 or RE6.

Hell, even RE4 has major flaws : a terrible story and pointless gameplay sequences put in there just to enhance the longevity of the game artificially.

Comment

Tose has developed the starfy series, super princess peach, metal gear solid: ghost babel, kid Icarus: of myth and monsters, ported chrono trigger and the final fantasies from 4-6, along with other adventures. They've got a good backlog of great games, and I've never had any issues with code veronica, 0, rev, or even gun survivor 1.

Comment

Originally posted by Grem View Post
                          REV is a good game. People bash it for no good reason. The only "flaws" I can think of are the story and the characters' designs, everything else is no less good than RE5 or RE6.

Hell, even RE4 has major flaws : a terrible story and pointless gameplay sequences put in there just to enhance the longevity of the game artificially.
                          Second this.
                          The Resident Evil 3D Animation Showcase

Comment

Originally posted by Drake View Post
                            Tose has developed the starfy series, super princess peach, metal gear solid: ghost babel, kid Icarus: of myth and monsters, ported chrono trigger and the final fantasies from 4-6, along with other adventures. They've got a good backlog of great games, and I've never had any issues with code veronica, 0, rev, or even gun survivor 1.
                            Among those you mentioned, none are masterpieces or even get close to that (except maybe for Starfy). The Final Fantasy and Chrono Trigger ports for the PlayStation are crap, and so are a huge number of Dragon Ball games made by them - there's way too much horrid stuff from them. Like News Bot said, they are statistically pretty bad in every parameter, but they kinda got better around 2000. With "kinda" I mean they still aren't really that great; you can ssee how low budget most of their recent products are (i.e. FF IV-V-VI Advance).
                            Last edited by Gemini; 06-03-2014, 07:28 AM.

Resident Evil: Behind the Mask twitter
                            , also in Facebookian flavor for great justice.

Comment

The overreacting I see on forums such as Neogaf is hilarious, it's like half of these people haven't witnessed Capcom's hit and miss over the years.

Resident Evil 6 was a bloated game trying to please everyone, no clear vision and it resulted in a game with far to much content that otherwise would have been cut from a more solid focused GDD.

Bigger is not always better, hopefully Capcom got that big kick in the arse from the fan and critic response and the generally more praise Revelations has received.

Comment

Originally posted by REmaster View Post
                                So would you say your interest has reached it's lowest point?
                                nope. because apparently you skipped over pretty much everything i just said. i do this for ALL games, regardless of its AAA, Indie, etc. i dont have the time to give a shit about quality, and that "this game should be this" or "this game should be that". gaming is for entertainment, shouldnt even go beyond that point. shouldnt be a religious cult or a gathering of praise for something that isnt even real to begin with. i play the worst games, and the best games and i still find entertainment in it all. its pretty much to the point where i dont even care anymore about anything in gaming - as long as it gives me something to do.
                                Last edited by Branden_Lucero; 06-12-2014, 10:36 AM.
                                Facebook | Myspace | PlayStation | Raptr | Steam | Twitter | Xbox Live | Xfire | Youtube

Comment

Working...
                                X