Resident Evil 1 Remastered

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by biohazard_star View Post
    That looks amazing. Bravo. I think the red logo on the sleeve stand out a bit too much though, maybe try changing it to a more neutral color? You should consider doing Arrange Mode Rebecca next; her cowboy costume would make a suitable base mesh, I think.
    I found the original textures for this beta outfit on Google images of all places lol - someone must have extracted them.
    The red logo is what the game had, so I used it.. Its noticeable and stands out, sure - but it looks nice in-game.

I'm gonna do that Rebecca retexture and also a Code Veronica inspired one for Chris (Battle Mode rank screen)
    "I never thought any of this stuff my brother taught me would work!"

Comment

• Originally posted by CODE_umb87 View Post
      They did it because of all the demand for RE2make and Outbreak 3.
      There is no proof of any of that. But if you look at the wider context of the current state of the series, then REMaster is a great and cheap opportunity to test the water with old school RE gameplay as RE6 drew in alot of criticism and missed sales expectations.

Originally posted by CODE_umb87 View Post
      That being said I'm not sure where you are getting "limited audience" from as that's simply not true. Take IGN for example, when they posted the story that REmake was getting remastered there were so many comments asking when 2 was getting the HD treatment it was like spam. It's not just a small percentage that wants it.
      "Limited Audience" comes from the fact that RE2 is over 15 years old, calls for RE2Makes are coming from groups of people on forums and FB groups for RE aren't as big as other franchises. I admit it's difficult to get an idea of how big both the RE fanbase is and what percentage of that would pay for RE2MAke, but we're not seeing requests for the RE2Make from larger communities or the press so I'm leaning on the side of caution here.

"So many comments" on IGN do not make a small or large percentage of the total potential audience.

As for Capcom needing to make money rather than risking it, even though you don't wanna hear it, RE6 did not meet the sales expectations they wanted and I'm sure that game probably cost about 3 times the amount it would cost to develop RE2make.
      As we've covered previously, Capcom were expecting CoD levels of sales and eventually had to settle on 6 million. I have never disputed that. What I argue is that failing to meet sales expectations doesn't mean that the game wasn't profitable. We don't know what the dev budget was for RE6, so regardless of it failing to meet sales expectations we don't know if it was a financial failure or not. However, considering that on the last gen most games needed to sell about 3 million copies to break even (covering a dev budget of around $15m and a similar amount for marketing, although it's increasingly frequent for marketing budgets to outstrip dev budgets),RE7 sold 6m and it is the third highest selling Capcom title of all time it's very plausible that the game made broke even or made money, even if it wasn't as much as Capcom were initially hoping.

Arrogant sales expectations ~= failed to make money.

And where did you base your "3x" figure on? Whilst I think that value is plucked out of thin air, let's just assume it's real for a moment. So if you think RE6 didn't make a profit (whilst you didn't say it failed to make a profit, you've ignored my previous posts saying that failing sales expectations isnt the same as breaking even) after selling 6m copies then RE2Make would need to sell over 2m to break even. By how much, we don't know.

Are you confident that the RE2Make can sell 2m?

I can imagine REMaster selling more than 1m but I've not kept a track of retail or digital charts since its release to comfortable guess how more it will sell beyond that.

No one is begging Capcom for RE7 anytime soon, but for the past 13 years LOTS of people have been asking of RE2make. Capcom needs to make money as you said right? Might as well spend money making something people want.
      Again, calls on fan threads and forums for a REMake don't necessarily mean that enough people will want it to justify the amount of money that will need to be spent on making it. And how many of those calls are from the same person more than once? It's not really possible for us to get a bigger picture of the RE fanbase and the demographics within.

I can't stand RE6 and would love to see the return to SH roots for a future RE, but it frequently reads like people are superficially interpreting RE6's sales results so they can vilify Capcom and justify their own stance on the series.

There is also one other thing that really hasn't been discussed about a potential RE2Make; what would it really offer us? REMake not only significantly upped the visuals over the original, but it introduced alot of locations & features that were cut from the original. RE2's backgrounds were already a clear leap over RE1's, whilst all of RE2's big development mysteries seem* to tie to 1.5. Trying to shoe-horn characters, locations, plot points and features from that may not sit in well with the purists who demand a revisit to the RPD and could end up back firing.

* Does anyone know of any features cut from the final RE2 (not 1.5) that could be used to expand upon 2 further? The expansion of the streets and the addition of Marvin in the 1st floor room off of the main hall seem to be the two main differences between the DC RE2 demo and RE2 Retail.
      "Stories of imagination tend to upset those without one."

Comment

• Well if we're going to show WIP stuff in here. I did some things of my own.

Here's an image:

Things I've done so far:
        -I completely redid the UV mapping for Kenneth and gave him a new facemap.
        -Fixed up the UV mapping for Kenneth's harness and equipment. (It was really badly done and there was a lot of texture stretching and misalignment on the originals)
        -Remade the pants texture which I've used as a base for everyone else. Then I made a custom camouflage pattern for Joseph and Brad.
        -Remade Kenneth's camera texture and redid the UV mapping for it.
        -Remade the arm textures for the males.
        -Used parts of Chris's RE5 vest because it's better quality to make base texture to use for everyone else.
        -Took the blond zombie civilian male from Darkside Chronicles, fixed it up, redid the uv mapping, and added a two facemaps to it(one used for Joseph and the other for Brad)
        -Remade the normal mapping for the pants and shirts.

What's next?
        -Continuing to tweak and fix these up.
        -Make a belt-less version of the vest for Brad.
        -Started on Richard, already redid his textures including his facemap.
        -After all this, I'll redo my living version of Forest Speyer.
        -Make dead/injured/zombie versions of everyone who has had those things happen to them in the games.

Comment

• Anyone else feel Kenneths Corpse should have been missing when you come back to the Mansion like in the original? It was such a creepy effect and in the REmake they coulda had a blood trail implying he was dragged away and devoured or nothing at all to leave it to your imagination.

Comment

• Originally posted by Deathlygasm View Post
            Anyone else feel Kenneths Corpse should have been missing when you come back to the Mansion like in the original? It was such a creepy effect and in the REmake they coulda had a blood trail implying he was dragged away and devoured or nothing at all to leave it to your imagination.
            Him just lying there is creepy too, you start to think when he will come back as a zombie. In the original its not scary as the spiders are there, you just think they removed him due to memory limitations (I never even noticed actually).

But yeah a blood trail would of been better.

I don't really remember half of this game so its been really fun/scary to play. Zombies that can open doors are like the scariest thing evar. Do crimson heads ever open doors?

Comment

• Just finished my first ever knife run as Jill on Very Easy mode... I wasn't expecting it to be as easy as it was - I only really got stuck against Crimson Head Boss. I never died once, but he nearly had me, was at Danger status.

Wasn't aiming for a speedrun with this playthrough, since I hunted around for health and items.. not bad considering I unlocked stuff.

Playing Real Survival as Chris - managed to survive and heading for the Yawn boss fight.. before getting the armour key and shotgun though - what a nightmare.. I had to knife and dodge the dog with the collar in the end, had no ammo and no shotgun.

Anyone else notice, on R.S mode - the map had 'item check X' - was this included in the original version,I forget. It lets you view whats in each item box incase you can't remember what you left in them. Neat...
              "I never thought any of this stuff my brother taught me would work!"

Comment

• Wasn't Kenneth's head decapitated though? According to Chief Irons, it's impossible for him to transform into a zombie in such a state.

I agree that a blood trail would have been a nice touch though, if only to imply that something dragged him away to finish off the flesh.

Comment

• Originally posted by Enigmatism415 View Post
                  Wasn't Kenneth's head decapitated though? According to Chief Irons, it's impossible for him to transform into a zombie in such a state.

I agree that a blood trail would have been a nice touch though, if only to imply that something dragged him away to finish off the flesh.
                  In the Remake his head is still attached to his body.

Comment

• Oh, that's lost potential then... :-/

Comment

• Originally posted by RaccoonSurvivor View Post
                      Anyone else notice, on R.S mode - the map had 'item check X' - was this included in the original version,I forget. It lets you view whats in each item box incase you can't remember what you left in them. Neat...
                      Nice, i didn't remember that.

Originally posted by Deathlygasm View Post
                      Anyone else feel Kenneths Corpse should have been missing when you come back to the Mansion like in the original? It was such a creepy effect and in the REmake they coulda had a blood trail implying he was dragged away and devoured or nothing at all to leave it to your imagination.
                      Remake is to "stiff", lacking dynamics. Like there is no zombie eating corpses on the ground; as you can see a zombie next to richard's dead body and nothing happens.

Guess RE0 won here...

Comment

• Originally posted by -Rusty- View Post
                        Well if we're going to show WIP stuff in here. I did some things of my own.

Here's an image:

Things I've done so far:
                        -I completely redid the UV mapping for Kenneth and gave him a new facemap.
                        -Fixed up the UV mapping for Kenneth's harness and equipment. (It was really badly done and there was a lot of texture stretching and misalignment on the originals)
                        -Remade the pants texture which I've used as a base for everyone else. Then I made a custom camouflage pattern for Joseph and Brad.
                        -Remade Kenneth's camera texture and redid the UV mapping for it.
                        -Remade the arm textures for the males.
                        -Used parts of Chris's RE5 vest because it's better quality to make base texture to use for everyone else.
                        -Took the blond zombie civilian male from Darkside Chronicles, fixed it up, redid the uv mapping, and added a two facemaps to it(one used for Joseph and the other for Brad)
                        -Remade the normal mapping for the pants and shirts.

What's next?
                        -Continuing to tweak and fix these up.
                        -Make a belt-less version of the vest for Brad.
                        -Started on Richard, already redid his textures including his facemap.
                        -After all this, I'll redo my living version of Forest Speyer.
                        -Make dead/injured/zombie versions of everyone who has had those things happen to them in the games.
                        Oh cool. Are these texture upgrades for Remake?

Comment

• That's pretty much what I'm doing. Although I don't know anything about rigging.

If anything I'll post the files here when I finish everything.

I got a friend putting these in Source Film Maker using the original bones so they should be able to be placed back into the game.

Oh and here is Forest.
                          Last edited by -Rusty-; 02-01-2015, 07:34 AM.

Comment

• Can someone please clarify which song is this?

Never heard it on the original.

Comment

• I think that is one of the two unused tracks on the remake disc. The other one was an up beat, inappropriate track that was probably never intended to be heard in game.

There is also one other thing that really hasn't been discussed about a potential RE2Make; what would it really offer us? REMake not only significantly upped the visuals over the original, but it introduced alot of locations & features that were cut from the original. RE2's backgrounds were already a clear leap over RE1's, whilst all of RE2's big development mysteries seem* to tie to 1.5. Trying to shoe-horn characters, locations, plot points and features from that may not sit in well with the purists who demand a revisit to the RPD and could end up back firing.

* Does anyone know of any features cut from the final RE2 (not 1.5) that could be used to expand upon 2 further? The expansion of the streets and the addition of Marvin in the 1st floor room off of the main hall seem to be the two main differences between the DC RE2 demo and RE2 Retail.
                              Well they can take the Richard route and slightly expand Marvin and Roberts roles.
                              They can make a nod to the fans and add in the concept that when the museum was converted to a police station they wanted to outfit it with new features that just couldn't be worked in with the original floor plan, forcing them to create a new wing to the building in which would understandably look more modernized than the rest of the station. This is where we can see the potential reintroduction of a shooting range. Maybe another office area that showed where the rest of the STARS team situated before the events of RE1-maybe we can see that they were still in the process of converting that room another standard office due to the wipe out of bravo team only months prior or maybe the room was just abandoned and dusty.
                              And- you know- like, a single restroom.
                              They ca-NEED to expand the empty factory halls between the tram at the end of the sewer and the train cart elevator down to the lab.
                              As for the lab itself- they can reintroduce the third wing on the lowest level that branches off from the main computer hub room.
                              Last edited by NEOMEGA; 02-16-2015, 11:44 PM. Reason: toilet!

Comment

• Originally posted by yurieu View Post
                                Can someone please clarify which song is this
                                Never heard it on the original.
                                Like Neo said, it seems taken from a 'rip' of the GC version-- except you'll hear definite differences from the original (higher range, different timbre, tempo, ect). Similarities with the oft-mentioned 'glitched tracks'- don't know if they had the ability to alter the clip in post that dramatically, but it sounds like an notably altered recording for the remaster, which is somewhat funny given the original track never saw the...'night' of day. Comes in at 3:30.

The horror is alive, the horror is expanding; living with the horror, can be demanding

Comment

Working...
                                X