Resident Evil 1 Remastered

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Enigmatism415 View Post
    SonicBlue, would you ever consider porting BTM to PS4 with native uncompressed 24-bit 1920x1080 renders? What would be necessary to do this? The 3D models could totally be replaced too.
    A PS4 Devkit, and someone to program the angles and geometry to work on it, I think it's easier to port it directly on PC.

Comment

• Originally posted by SonicBlue View Post
      A PS4 Devkit, and someone to program the angles and geometry to work on it, I think it's easier to port it directly on PC.
      True, porting the engine to PC would be easier.

Well, if you're ever feeling super generous, don't hesitate to drop a 1920x1080 bitmap render in the BTM thread.

Comment

• You could also use that as an example of how the RE:make backgrounds should be represented!

*Thumbs up*

Comment

• Infact, I'll give it a shot while I'm at it now.

This is a scene that I've been modelling for awhile, thought i would put it to use in it's WIP stage

Comment

• Man, can't properly shill for a company without getting blown the fuck out.

Comment

• SonicBlue/Undead Saga - It's apparent that I've approached the point I'm trying to make completely wrong by getting angry over the fact that people are complaining about the graphics. You're right, I'm wrong, and they look like shit.

However, there is something about this re-release that is more important than justifying *you* re-buying the game from Capcom... It's the fact that they're marketing it toward expanding the audience toward people who liked RE4, 5, and 6 who haven't played anything outside of *maybe* Code Veronica HD. Classic RE games haven't even had their chance to shine on multiplatform, let alone good ones.

Everything I have to say is almost completely anecdotal, but hear me out:

You should be supporting this "cash-in" as a way to get people who have never played the game before to play the game and also to prove to Capcom that people want to BUY old-school survival horror games with better scenario design. I can guarantee you that Capcom's analytics team will be like "there's a demand for the genre, so let's release more" if this port does well.

At this point in time, Capcom thinks there's little demand for old-school survival horror games because they haven't tried re-releasing anything but Code Veronica on 360/PS3. Code Veronica was one of the ones that performed like shit during GCN and hasn't aged well. This one has. Of course, because they perceive there's little demand, they can't really justify spending a larger budget on anything but the scan and pan technique.

Here's the thing: would you tell someone who's never played this game before to buy this version? I know I would, because I want to show people how fucking cool the old-school RE games actually were compared to the shit that Capcom keeps trying to shovel because they're trying to cater to a mainstream audience.

I stream this game on Twitch all the time with 1000 concurrent viewers (which, by the way, is a lot of viewer engagement on a growing site like Twitch). Based on the things people say or ask about it in my chat, it's astonishing that a LOT of casual video game players who buy 360s or PS3s to play COD with their friends (who *maybe* owned a PlayStation back in the day) don't even know there was a remake of the first game. They have never seen or played this game before, and once I have told them about things like the scenario design, level design, enemy AI, and how the scares work, they think this game is cool as shit. Now that Capcom has announced it, I'm trying to pimp this game to my audience more than ever.

Look in the Neogaf thread, even. Everyone I've seen who was hype for this game to come out had never played it before because it's only been made relevant twice on systems that nobody cared to buy it on either because of alienation in the install base (GCN) or poor advertising (Wii in the US). They played RE4, never played this game, and want to play it but don't want to spend the money on a GCN or Wii to get it.

I also know that if you go around telling people not to buy this release because you don't like it, (and instead tell people to get it on Wii/GCN/Pirate Bay which are not tracked in sales figures since you can only find them used) then Capcom has absolutely no way of determining who buys the game and whether there is still a market for it. It'll show up as a negative.

If you know anyone who is a fan of The Walking Dead or whatever and hasn't played REmake, you should be shilling HARD to your friends who have never played REmake before. This game sells well, I guarantee REmake 2 will happen.
              Last edited by Carcinogen; 08-11-2014, 09:19 AM.

Comment

• ^ Well said.

Comment

• Originally posted by Carcinogen View Post
                  This game sells well, I guarantee REmake 2 will happen.
                  This is the kind of shit that people say that makes me raise an eyebrow. I mean no offense by this, but I always see this false hope as either people being overly optimistic and naive or plain stupid. Capcom has shown, from time to time, that they don't know how to recreate classic survival horror. This, in my opinion, stems from two important things: 1) that modern gaming makes it all the more difficult to create the same atmosphere and tension due to less limitations on hardware which demands more creativity from the developing team; 2) the developers of past Resident Evil games (or their pupils) are no longer working for Capcom and/or have lost their motivation and moved on to other things.

A Resident Evil 2 remake (or any other kind of remake for that matter) only makes sense if the Director comes back. This was the case with REmake - which Mikami expressed an interest in re-doing because he had ideas that could not have been implemented in RE1 and some limitations of hardware that made it difficult to convey some parts of RE1; I also suspect a lot of conceptional ideas that were lost were now capable of being reworked in a new hardware.

As far I know, Hideki Kamiya has absolutely no interest in going back to survival horror, let alone REmaking 2, and that to me, completely invalidates the purpose of a REmake 2 because I know that Capcom, as it exists today, will fail to deliver expectations of old-school fans.

BioHazard YouTube Channel
                  BioHazard 2 Prototype Database Project

Comment

• [QUOTE=Kegluneq;269391] Capcom has shown, from time to time, that they don't know how to recreate classic survival horror. This, in my opinion, stems from two important things: 1) that modern gaming makes it all the more difficult to create the same atmosphere and tension due to less limitations on hardware which demands more creativity from the developing team.
                    I completely agree i think they are really lazy when it comes to try and do some unique things in this generation of Re's creativity is B( i like Revs they should go in with that approach of a game when making the next one. i wish this Remake hd had the battle mode in it would have made it very interesting, for now ill have to play on my sega saturn.

Comment

• They could easily put in some kind of battlemode in this game, which would help it sell so much better, because a little extra new content is better than nothing.

Even if they just put in like...1 new pistol, a new shotgun, or even a semi automatic rifle that fires short bursts of 3-4 rounds max(with a magazine max of 20), a new costume for Chris and Jill, and a new battlemode(maybe even with a smallish new map thats easier to navigate for the battlemode) and that would be enough.

It'd be the icing on a perfect cake.

Comment

• I'm a pretty big fan of the Leech Hunter minigame from BIO Zero myself, and I think something comparable would work as well. It's a pipe dream, but one can wish.

Comment

• Never really liked Leech Hunter, but wouldn't be against something like that added.

Comment

• Originally posted by Carcinogen View Post
                            SonicBlue/Undead Saga - It's apparent that I've approached the point I'm trying to make completely wrong by getting angry over the fact that people are complaining about the graphics. You're right, I'm wrong, and they look like shit.
                            "Listen, the pre-renders are crap and lazily upscaled, but we should buy the game regardless because it's important to show CAPCOM that people care about classic Resident Evil".

That sentence would be enough to transmit your message yet you decided to create that full page mini-drama about the bg renders instead. Well done.
                            Hail the heros of the revolution!

Comment

• The younger fan left in me hopes this does well enough that Capcom would consider making traditional RE games on the side. I realize that the original format will never be the major releases ever again, but maybe they would consider it if it had a Revelations budget or something. I dunno.
                              sigpic
                              "Must the State continue to exist once the question of labor and capital shall be practically solved? We reply in the negative. We are anarchists."

Comment

• I hope my photo attachment wasn't too big for some people to view, I also hope it did set a good example in the first place.

Comment

Working...
                                X