No announcement yet.

Resident Evil 7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just curious, have you avoided spoilers or do know the full story for RE7?
    "Stories of imagination tend to upset those without one."

Comment

• Originally posted by Jimmy_Jazz View Post
      Just curious, have you avoided spoilers or do know the full story for RE7?
      I know the majority of the story, which is really the only reason I'm now interested in it. If Capcom had assured us that the story had a definitive link to the rest of the franchise, rather than just the hints they had suggested, I probably would have pre-ordered.

If sales truly are lower than expected, I wonder if it's because of people like me who wanted the horror, but were completely turned off by what we saw of the story.

Comment

• I started playing the game again last night. Thank Jesus you don't have to watch/play the tapes to advance. But I died fighting Jack in the dissection room.

Comment

• If sales truly are lower than expected
          Has it been suggested that this is the case or is that speculation on your behalf? Capcom have announced that 3m copies have been shipped world-wide, and there's also going to be alot of digital sales ontop of that as well. 2-3m tends to be the breakeven point for many AAA titles, usually those that aren't GTA / Skyrim / ME scoped open world games, so things seem to be on track compared to multiplatform 5-6 million sellers like Arkham Knight. And it could easily be above hardcore titles like Dark Souls & Bloodborne, which seem to cap around the 2m-2.5m mark.

And if sales were lower than expected, your case sounds too niche to feel like you're part of a silent majority that have decided to hold out from buying the game just yet. I base this on how infrequently this opinion has come up across press and forums since the release of the Beginning Hour teases. I suspect you've probably got more long term RE fans holding out because of the switch to first person.

Comment

Has it been suggested that this is the case or is that speculation on your behalf? Capcom have announced that 3m copies have been shipped world-wide, and there's also going to be alot of digital sales ontop of that as well. 2-3m tends to be the breakeven point for many AAA titles, usually those that aren't GTA / Skyrim / ME scoped open world games, so things seem to be on track compared to multiplatform 5-6 million sellers like Arkham Knight. And it could easily be above hardcore titles like Dark Souls & Bloodborne, which seem to cap around the 2m-2.5m mark.

And if sales were lower than expected, your case sounds too niche to feel like you're part of a silent majority that have decided to hold out from buying the game just yet. I base this on how infrequently this opinion has come up across press and forums since the release of the Beginning Hour teases. I suspect you've probably got more long term RE fans holding out because of the switch to first person.
            Was suggested earlier in this thread I think, or I read it on some other forum. I really don't know myself, which is why I suggested it may or may not be true

As far as first person, yeah I'm not crazy about that either, but it's not a deal breaker. I'd rather see a return to the tank controls and odd camera angles, always found it to be even more frightening when you could hear, but not see, the monster your character was aiming at.

Comment

• Honestly, I never got what was with all the hate for the tank controls anyway. Personally, I love all the old RE games, and I know that the old style of horror games can still be done right by indie developers in place of the mainstream companies, who clearly no longer give a shit about marketing those kind of games. That's sad news about Forgotten Memories: Alternate Realities being cancelled for the consoles, though. That is truly a crying shame. For those who don't know what that game is about, it is like a Silent Hill game. It was already on iOS sites for downloading to a Tablet, and it had some of the same voice actors. Even the mannequins were a lot like the nurses.

I don't care about their dated graphics or how the camera is, and I never have a bad thing to say about the old RE games. But all the changes after 4 has left me sour. 4 isn't even a true horror game. It's more like a science fiction story, with heavy doses of action. It was still way cooler than RE entries 5 and especially 6. But to me and others, RE kind of closed a door there.

Comment

• Honestly, I never got what was with all the hate for the tank controls anyway.
                I know alot of people find Tank Controls confusing - similar to when driving from the top of the screen to the bottom of the screen in a top down game (Micro Machines, early GTAs). But for those than can handle tank controls, I feel complaining about them is misplaced. RE2 N64 & RE1MAKE HD's analogue controls have helped many enjoy the games, but the lack of turn speeds on the latter makes manoeuvring around enemies alittle to easy.

Other additions to the controls have generally improved the feeling of the games, without making them easier or over-complicated

- 180 degree turn
                - Manual reload button
                - Aim knife button
                - RE3's dodge is abit hit and miss for me though. I like the feature, but hate that it's mapped to both aim and fire, and changed contextually. I would have preferred mapping it either its own button, or 'run' and require the player to release and press it, when running, to instigate it, so that there's the risk of a miss-time stopping the player in their tracks.
                - I prefer RE2 Demo's (which came with RE1 DC) turn speeds to all others in the series - I think it's faster than retail and negates the need for auto-aim in order to react quickly - but I need to go back to confirm.
                - RE0's turn speeds feel overly slow, and are tied to an annoying anim which means that there are jumps up in speed when the character rotates their whole body

I'd love to see an indie dev try to make a fixed camera survival horror title that's inspired by RE over Silent Hill though. Mannequins and brown interiors have been done to death.

As for 4 - I look at it as an action game inspired by horror films, with some emotive cross-over at ponts. Being overwhelmed during crowd control combat or having ammo run out at an inconvenient time can still induce panic & terror.

I'd rather see a return to the tank controls and odd camera angles, always found it to be even more frightening when you could hear, but not see, the monster your character was aiming at.
                You don't need to rely on fixed camera angles to obscure a player's PoV. They just help when it comes to open spaces. Cramped interiors with lots of turns and obstacles can provide the same effect in first-person. RE7 knows this and does it well. You can also take advantage of exposure and hide things in the dark whilst the camera takes time to adjust to the surroundings. It was a trick that was underutilised in RE5 and is used much more effectively in 7.

I'd honestly say give RE7 a go and put aside what it isn't and appreciate it for what it is. A series that has run this long is going to mean alot of different things to different people so why not let it challenge your conceptions on what is or isn't Resident Evil, as 4 also did for many.

Comment

If RE7 is generic, it's generic in the sense that it's built on features that are common in survival and horror games.
                  I'm glad of it being generic: jumpscares, old mansion, darkness, high quality graphics, old movies references, and so on.
                  Last edited by yurieu; 02-15-2017, 10:44 AM.

Comment

• RE6 was BS. That game never happened, in my opinion.

Comment

• RE6 would of been so much better with a smaller cast, and if it didn't leave Tall Oaks. I recently bought it on PS4 since I got bored with RE7, and the game completely jumps the track after chapter 1 in Leon's campaign.
                      Last edited by Snake Plissken; 02-15-2017, 11:55 AM.

Comment

• Resident Evil 7: Biohazard > Vaccine

Comment

• Oh god, I hate seeing / playing many other survival horrors because so few nail the relative scale relationships between characters, environments and camera as well as Resident Evil and SH. You end up with oddly proportioned locations, usually with too much floor space, as a result. And many lack any artist direction too, and simply choose to view their environments from wide lens cameras placed high up.

I'm also not a fan of tracking cameras positioning the player in the centre of the screen and rotating. Dolly cameras that only move in 1 axis and focus alittle ahead of the player are usually alot nicer.

Comment

• Well, I don't know about Vaccine, but Kickstarter has a pledge campaign up now for Daymare 1998. I'd love to back that game, but they are so far away from their intended target, and with less than a month left, it isn't looking good. If you donate and something happens, I don't think your money gets refunded. There's no agreement. I'd still love to see the game get made. Capcom have been very supportive towards these people.

Comment

• Originally posted by BSAA . Org View Post
                              Well, I don't know about Vaccine, but Kickstarter has a pledge campaign up now for Daymare 1998. I'd love to back that game, but they are so far away from their intended target, and with less than a month left, it isn't looking good. If you donate and something happens, I don't think your money gets refunded. There's no agreement. I'd still love to see the game get made. Capcom have been very supportive towards these people.
                              Kickstarters only "take" your money if the campaign reaches its goal. After that, though, there's no guarantee that products gets made and so forth, although Kickstarter itself will attempt to do a chargeback on behalf of the backers if there's suspicions of fraudulent behaviour and such. Some developers and campaigns have been really nice in regards to how they treat their backer (some taking it upon themselves to reimburse backers, regardless of outcome of the project).

Comment

• So I completed RE7 for the second time today. I had a brief break. I started it about 06:15 AM right after finishing Daughters again.

I died only twice. Once, because Lucas told me to input a pass-code, and I forgot it was a trap. And I also died because of the two fat zombie things near the mine because I was stupid. I don't know what they're actually called, so I just call them Fatso #1 and #2.

Comment

Working...
                                X