Possible Locations of the Antarctic Facility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible Locations of the Antarctic Facility

Alright, we all know Chris made it to and escaped from the Antarctica based Umbrella facility on what seems to look like a Harrier II S/VTOL jet. It may have been a training version of the AV-8B since it would have two seats as seen in the game (one for Chris and the other for Claire).

All of this theory is based on the maximum flying time of a fully fueled (non-armed) Harrier II AV-8B jet (the only extra weight it is carrying is two external 300 gallon fuel tanks), the "Where Is Biohazard Going?" advertisement for Code Veronica ( http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8...xbetaad1dg.gif ) which labeled the southern latitude of 82.17 degrees, and the simple fact that some of Antarctica's land is not "claimed" by any country (actually, by a mutual international treaty no country except for the USA and Russia reserved the right to claim any land on Antarctica, but on most maps, you'll see national claims of the land).

The portion of Antarctica I will be talking about is seemingly un-claimed and that far into Antarctica it is also very likely not to be inhabited. Not to mention that the hole in the ozone layer is directly over Antarctica thus UV radiation is basically raining on that region drastically effecting the longevity of any airborne polymorphic retroviruses we are familiar with

Assuming Umbrella did not want to hassle with any nation sticking their nose into Umbrella's business, they would create the facility on territory that was unclaimed so they did not have to answer to anyone about building there.

According to this map of Antarctica ( http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/islands_oce...rch_station.gif ) the lower left portion of Antarctica (depending on if your looking at it at this perspective) has no international claim and is probably inhabiting very few forms of life that far inland (most research stations and flora/fauna are on or near the coasts).

Based on official US Navy documentation ( http://www.history.navy.mil/planes/av-8b.pdf ) the maximum possible flying distance (without in-flight refueling) for a Harrier II (AV-8B) is approximately 2,400 miles (Page 8, number 29 under the Ferry Mission category. Don't forget to convert nautical miles (thats the format used in the PDF) into actual miles since thats the distance I'm talking about). On "Ferry Missions" the flight plans are pretty straight forward: lift off, fly to your destination, and then land. You also keep your your external fuel tanks on ferry missions for the return home flight (since the same amount of fuel would be needed to traverse the same distance back).

So now we have a pretty basic idea that the jet Chris flew to Antarctica could only traverse 2,400 miles from where ever Rockfort Island was.

As for where the Antarctica Facility was, we know Capcom hinted at the latitude 82.17 degrees. Since the south pole is at 90 degrees south latitude, you can see how close that is to the pole (about 530 miles away, by my calculations). Now we have the maximum flying distance Chris could possibly travel, and the fact that the facility lies on the latitude 82.17.

Mainland Antarctica is a perfect environment to hold a lab that studies and creates viral specimens. If the virus was ever released into the air by accident or on purpose, the hole in the ozone layer means that their is a more than normal amount of UV rays hitting Antarctica at any given time and that would destroy the virus rather quickly.

Any who, getting back to the possible locations:

* The end of the cones designate where the maximum possible distance a fully fueled harrier jet could fly to in the most optimum possible flying conditions. The end being 2,400 away from the possible suggested points where Rockfort Island could be approximated to be located at.

* The solid red line within the cone designates the location of the latitude 82.17 degrees South as noted in the Biohazard Code Veronica advertisement poster.

* The cyan dotted line designates the possible locations of the Antarctica facility. They are well within the acceptable distance for the Harrier to fly to, they lay on ground which is unclaimed territory by any nation, and also lay on the 82.17 degree line as noted in the official Capcom poster.

However... One has to think of the following question: How did Wesker escape the facility?

By submarine!

Therefore access to water is a strict requirement; which in Antarctica can be provided to you by use of the various ice shelfs which are essentially attached to the actual Antarctica landmass, but extend from it over the sea. In the result screen from Wesker's battlemode game, we can see that it is an already established system for submarines there:

It looks as if leads directly to the ocean, but that would contradict with the whole 82.17 coordinate part of this theory, so what if the ice shelf the facility is built upon is half suspended over water and land? The main facility is supported by Antarctica, but a large portion of it maybe over water. Therefore, that dock must be on a portion of the ice shelf that has been dug out to connect with the ocean to make transporting of materials easier/discreet:

That leads back to my old map; the cyan dots were the places that were on unclaimed territory. In this update I've colored those over the Ross Ice shelf a darker hue:

The dark blue dots are on the 82.17 line and also are on the Ross Ice shelf From there it is only 2,000+ miles to the closest landmass which is New Zealand. Australia is another thousand miles from that. From the of South America to the suggested locations on the Ross Ice Shelf, it's about 3,000 miles...

And that's about it...

Whoa, someone's done their homework! I just realised another (small detail) that could help in pinpointing the location of the base. When Clair n Steve first make an attempt to excape from the base they commandeer a snow-mobile-y-thingy and try to make it to an Australian base.
    This mightn't be much help but if you could find out the range of that snow vehicle and also the location of the nearest Australian base it could lead onto something... or maybe not. If only Capcom put as much thought into this as you!

Comment

I remember this topic

Good work, maybe we can turn it into a feature

Comment

well rockfort island is supposed to be in france i remember hearing somewhere. but france's island is corsica, i know they have lots of other islands that they've claimed but rockfort's weather conditions are rainy and dark. maybe in that setting because RE isn't a bright place. I think rockfort island would have a good chance of being Iceland maybe. the weather conditions for it's summers are damp and cool, although I'm not sure what month claire was captured. i think it was 10 days after her capture she was brought to rockfort, so during the span of 10 days she could've been traveling in that time or knocked out.

Comment

Wesker's so badass he ran to the edge of the continent then took a submarine

Comment

Remember that part after he finished kicking claire’s ass and he jumped into the air after someone called him (I think that was krauser or ada) where did he go I mean he just jumped and disappeared.. he couldn’t have jumped in the sky nor could he have jumped in the water part it’s shallow.

Comment

He can Fly cause he's The One

Comment

lol wesker always reminded me of neo, could be the shades and the black

Comment

I thought I was the only one wondering where the hell did Wesker go at that time =P

Nice work Project Omega... but I often think that Capcom never really thinks about this kind of stuff... the games are always set in ficticious places, but you can normally make assumptions about it.... great job!

Comment

Originally posted by SinValentine View Post
                    Remember that part after he finished kicking Claire’s ass and he jumped into the air after someone called him (I think that was Krauser or Ada) where did he go I mean he just jumped and disappeared.. he couldn’t have jumped in the sky nor could he have jumped in the water part it’s shallow.
                    I don't think it could have been Krauser as at that time he was probably in the same organization as Leon. Krauser (more than likely) got recruited in 2002 after he "disappeared" but was pronounced dead. As Umbrella was probably in it's death bed, Wesker had it easy recruiting people over to his company...

As for where he went... Probably to the lower levels on the compound looking for clues to the T-Veronica virus... Someone may have found something worth Wesker's attention...

Comment

Chimera was doing research into this very same topic. I'll send him to this thread, he may be able to collaborate with you.

Comment

It's so reassuring and encouraging to be part of a forum where you can put so much thought and detail into a seemingly minor aspect of a video game and not be ridiculed as a result. Nice work PO and thanks for sharing your findings. The very fact that you pieced this together from scraps here and there is testament to your intelligence and passion for the series. . .
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Project Omega View Post
                          I don't think it could have been Krauser as at that time he was probably in the same organization as Leon. Krauser (more than likely) got recruited in 2002 after he "disappeared" but was pronounced dead.
                          Sometimes I think Krauser worked for Wesker since 1998. If you take a closer look at Leon's epilogue in RE2, the agent from the government resembles Krauser a lot, and asks for Sherry, offering Leon a job in return. Next thing we know, Sherry is with Wesker and Leon is working for the government, with Krauser being his ex-partner. This makes me think that Krauser's relationship with Wesker comes way back, just as Ada's.
                          That still wouldn't make him the guy who calls Wesker at that time in RECV, I think that was someone with HCF or the likes....

Comment

in leon's epilogue in re 3 the guy that looks like a government agent should be wesker. imagine it it's perfect if it's him, leon has no idea what wesker looks like, his first day on the job was when racoon city was all messed up and wesker wasn't even around. leon gives sherry to wesker and there his job's done.

but i doubt that theory's plausable, he kind of looks like nickolai a little. i think there were files in another RE saying nickolai's not dead too

Comment

When Chris and Claire flew into the Ice Base, remember, it was 24 hour day. So that means it was Summer in the Southern hemisfere, winter in ours. So that goes with it being Feb. Now, that means if that place is true where Rockfort Island, it could possibly be raining, But, because it is still far south, they would of have a very short night. Have you ever been above 50 degree N in Summer, it doesn't get dark till 10:30pm, and light at 4:30am. Its opposite in our winter in the South, long days, short nights, and more so the furthur South you go. They could possibly still be on the edge of 24 hour days depending on where they were at. That means it should have been daylight for most of Rockford Island.

Since Rockford Island had a long time of dark, could not have been more south then 55-60 Degrees.
                              Last edited by chrism3784; 08-14-2007, 09:50 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X