No announcement yet.

Biohazard 2 - Beta 1: Anyone have it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And that's another mystery we might never get cleared up. There is an answer of sorts, however ....

You see, the Underground Lab was never jettisoned insofar as the concept for the overall game was concerned. It remained a part of it all the way through the development process. That's why it appears in both RE15 and RE2. It was just simplified by removing unfinished (P4 Arrival Area, P4 Shelters) and unwanted areas (Boiler Room Ladder Shaft Access, the whole "burning lab" concept), new camera angles/backgrounds were made, and other tweaks here and there were made (redesigning the P1/L1 Arrival area, for example) to turn it from RE15's version into RE2s. Of all the old RE15 areas that might turn up in "beta 1," that's the one that has the most evidence going for it. That also explains why all of its backgrounds are present and intact in the Trial, why clips of it were used in the game show video, and why a RE15 Underground Lab room (and not a Factory Room) turned up tucked away and "turned off" on the Trial. It was always going to be there. It just got reworked for RE2.

The same can't be said of the RE15 Warehouse District/Factory. Some of us believe that part of it was still playable in "RE2 beta 1," while some believe that the decision had already been made to jettison it for the Factory we see in RE2 - the Marshalling Yard; i.e. the one that includes the train turntable lift. That would explain why small pieces of the original RE15 version appear to have already been overwritten in the Trial. That would explain why we got an early alpha RE2 train turntable instead of an RE15 Factory room in that hidden "stage 7" on the PSM trial. Whether or not any of the original room data files (RDTs) of the RE15 Factory were still present in what we call "beta 1" or had already been trashed at that point - well, that's the big debate. There's just not enough evidence to be conclusive either way.

I guess that's why "RE2 beta 1," as most fans refer to it (sorry for continuing to use that title, Alzaire), is the one beta build that continues to intrigue hardcore RE2 fans to this day. We're seeing Capcom in the process of shifting gears in the "redevelopment" of this game. The Trial is as of this date the only form of that build - however incomplete it might be - that gives us a peek at that process. That's why the Trial (aka PSM/PC Demo, et al) is such an important part of the "RE2 beta 1" debate. Its our best piece of evidence as to what that particular build might have look like. A lot of us will continue to quibble over the exact details, but that's one thing on which all of us agree.

So, to go back to the original question of the thread - if you have the Trial, you've already got a form of "RE2 beta 1." It will probably be the only form we ever see - unless an actual copy slips out from under a rock somewhere.
    Last edited by RMandel; 11-20-2012, 12:03 PM.
    Do you know where I can find the final build of Resident Evil 1.5?
    Please contact me if so! re15finalbuild@gmail.com

Comment

We'll get it, anyone who has it knows what it is and how bad people want it. We got two early alphas of biohazard 1 and a debug build we didn't even know existed.... Hope..

Still on the topic of beta 1.... Are we all agreeing now that this photo is legit ?

I mean, there's no door in the licker hallway in the beta 1 footage we see....

Comment

It's legit, the photo comes from one of Inflames' magazines.
        Last edited by Guest; 11-20-2012, 06:13 PM.

Comment

You know, this year we got a lot of beta material. BIO1 Alpha's, BIO GBC Beta, BIO1 Beta, and now 1.5 is on the way. I think it's safe to say that in the future, if anyone has them, we'll get this "Beta 1". Honestly though I don't think anyone has it not do people have the alpha build of 1.5. But who knows, anything is possible.
          My Head-Fi Page

Comment

Originally posted by Zombie_X View Post
            You know, this year we got a lot of beta material. BIO1 Alpha's, BIO GBC Beta, BIO1 Beta, and now 1.5 is on the way. I think it's safe to say that in the future, if anyone has them, we'll get this "Beta 1". Honestly though I don't think anyone has it not do people have the alpha build of 1.5. But who knows, anything is possible.
            Amen.

Comment

I'd roll over happy as hell if we ever got the BIO2 alpha that was shown at the V-Jump festival. It's looks to be only 1 or 2 rooms but is interesting enough. Color me excited if it ever comes out.

Also I don't think this "beta 1" is all that different from retail. There will be changes but it won't be what people are expecting.
              My Head-Fi Page

Comment

I'd roll over happy as hell if we ever got the BIO2 alpha that was shown at the V-Jump festival. It's looks to be only 1 or 2 rooms but is interesting enough. Color me excited if it ever comes out.

Also I don't think this "beta 1" is all that different from retail. There will be changes but it won't be what people are expecting.
                On the contrary I think beta 1 will be more different than you think, not in terms of RPD design, but in terms of events that take place within the RPD (cutscenes, character interactions and so forth), as well as things like the character select and the way the game has been coded. Also, being a beta and not a public disc, beta 1 is more likely to contain 1.5 assets (actual beta content besides backgrounds) and other than the 80% build might be the single most beneficial disc to ever understanding 1.5 to its fullest. It's been a belief of mine for a long time now that beta 1 is just as valuable as the most exotic 1.5 builds. Think of the Biohazard 2 Trial Edition but an even bigger gold mine, it might share more secrets about 1.5 than 1.5 its self.

Currently it is my MOST wanted beta.
                Last edited by Guest; 11-20-2012, 11:02 PM.

Comment

wut. if we got 80% 1.5 build thats the epitome of 1.5
                  Not a retail 2 beta lol no matter how early.

Comment

Originally posted by Darkness View Post
                    wut. if we got 80% 1.5 build thats the epitome of 1.5
                    Not a retail 2 beta lol no matter how early.
                    Why not? The Trial Edition contains assets which came later than the Bioflames build. The difference is the Trial Edition had most of its secrets stripped away, such as RDT data. An actual early build of the retail game such as beta 1 has a greater chance of these assets surviving and for all we know might contain content that was never actually implemented in the Bioflames build, just like the Trial Edition. Beta 1 might contain 1.5 assets which are more final than any build of 1.5 we know about.

Comment

Maybe.... Though it would be minute things. The mission impossible task is voiceovers or FMVs of 1.5....

Comment

You know with all this "beta 1" talk I started wondering.. What if some of the finished 1.5 FMV's are on the disc? Perhaps used as padding?
                        My Head-Fi Page

Comment

You know with all this "beta 1" talk I started wondering.. What if some of the finished 1.5 FMV's are on the disc? Perhaps used as padding?
                          Exactly, you never know. You never know what was compiled after the Bioflames build that never made the cut. The Trial Edition is more like a wierd continuation of 1.5 as opposed to a fresh project on a clean slate, the chances are pretty good of 1.5 content being on earlier builds of the retail game as well. Backgrounds, ADT masks, sound files, icons, documents, there could be anything tucked away on those early retail builds. We know they did small amounts of background work after the Bioflames build, exactly how much they did is unknown but it's possible they added some other bits and pieces that never made it.

Comment

True. It's probably more rare than 1.5 itself at this point though. Would be the find of the decade, or maybe 1.5 will be.

Comment

I wouldn't even care if all the videos weren't on there, just the intro alone is worth it! If that leaks, "the team" could just apply it to their own modding project.
                              My Head-Fi Page

Comment

Actually, there are pieces of the original RE15 FMVs in the ones for RE2 - if you know where to look. There are at least three places where RE15 FMVs are recycled. I'll tell you the first one - Annette's recollection. Most of that is RE15 FMV. Birkin's hair color in most shots, the use of the RE15 lab, etc. That will lead you to the second, much smaller clip. Can you find a third? -_^
                                Do you know where I can find the final build of Resident Evil 1.5?
                                Please contact me if so! re15finalbuild@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
                                X