Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Survical/Action Horror Really matter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wesker was in re4, he played a small side roll, but he was still there and therefore umbrella is still there

Comment

and hell yea the story gets deeper and more and more interesting...
      Seperate Ways was the last actual story outing that didn't suck. UC was horrible and RE4 didn't really have much.
      PROJECT Umbrella - The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium

Comment

Originally posted by beasley23803 View Post
        First of all, the gameplay was built on survivor horror..RE Gameplay= Survival Horror
        Correct, WAS, but not with RE4. Survival is pretty self explanatory, and with an upgrade system/money, and plentiful ammo, that aspect is hindered. As far as horror, it's debatable but I didn't find RE4 scary at all.

If being surrounded by enemies while having a good arsenal/ammo on hand is scary, I should be terrified of action games in general. RE4 ultimately ended up feeling like an action shooter. A great game, but in a different league than its predecessors. One that I'm not a big fan of, so after 12 years, I'm letting go of the series.

Comment

Originally posted by CiarenDevlin View Post
          Seperate Ways was the last actual story outing that didn't suck. UC was horrible and RE4 didn't really have much.
          Very True, I feel that seperate ways was the most recent sequel to the series, but not to any specific game, well 2 maybe.

Comment

What is bread without margerine/butter? Nothing.
            What is Biohazard without Survival Horror? NOTHING!
            I have stated my point.

Comment

Originally posted by beasley23803 View Post
              Very True, I feel that seperate ways was the most recent sequel to the series, but not to any specific game, well 2 maybe.
              Lets hope that they continue with that storyline and its not forgotten like so many other things. I would to find out about this corportion S and see where they go with that.

Comment

Originally posted by Stars1356 View Post
                Lets hope that they continue with that storyline and its not forgotten like so many other things. I would to find out about this corportion S and see where they go with that.
                my words exactly, but i dont think we need to worry because
                in one of the interviews Jun Takeuchi said that RE:5 will expand on some of the plots introduced in 4, he has to be talking about Seperate Ways...

Comment

The way I see it is this:

Hands up all the people who started up a RE game and, after the first few minutes, went, 'Damned, this story looks awesome and I must play more to find out what's up!?'

And how many of you went, 'I'm gonna wet myself it's so scary. This is awesome!'

As much as I enjoy trying to work out all the kinks in the now badly retoconned and redone story I played the games, and beat them, because they scared me. I enjoyed exploring, the sense of worry about not knowing whether the next room would contain a tyrant or the much needed herbs. And even the somewhat cooky puzzles.

That's not to say the story isn't important. It is. If the story was, 'Evil butterflies lay zombie eggs' I'd probably have given up in disgust. But the reason I got into the game was it's survival horror.

Resident Evil 4 failed by lacking both storyline elements and gameplay elements that made RE a good series. Outbreak, on the other hand, doesn't advance the series in anyway...but the gameplay is good and there's a deffinite pleasure in following the fate of normal survivors in such a situation. It's story adds little to the canon but it is, at least, enjoyable.

With talk of more horror and more puzzles in RE5, along with a clear link to the main story, that should satisfy most folk. My main concern is the possibility that the horror and puzzle elements in RE5 will be downplayed in favour of action (RE4 had both, but it's like compairing a side of onion rings to the rest of the series steaks) and, of course, that while the game may feature Wesker and storyline advancement it may be in the same vein as RE4 and Seperate Ways.

Which would suck.

Comment

Working...
                  X