next main character for CG movie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by missvalentine View Post
    Rebecca is the perfect character, there would be a lot of freedom in developing her character and is also the perfect candidate for future classic style RE games.
    Lofty argument. Amazing logic as always. Except that any of the bland, devoid-of-development RE characters could easily be inserted into any future projects.

Let me fix your statement for you:

"__________________" is the perfect character. There would be a lot of freedom in developing [his/her] character, and [he/she] is also the perfect candidate for future classic-style RE games.
    Last edited by Jill's Boob; 05-29-2009, 12:44 PM.

Comment

I would like to see Rebecca.

I hope it's not Jill or Chris urgh

Comment

Originally posted by Jill's Boob View Post
        Lofty argument. Amazing logic as always. Except that any of the bland, devoid-of-development RE characters could easily be inserted into any future projects.

Let me fix your statement for you:

"__________________" is the perfect character. There would be a lot of freedom in developing [his/her] character, and [he/she] is also the perfect candidate for future classic-style RE games.
        Nope, Leon would not fit any more classic style RE games cause he now has super powers and stuff. Chris has super huge muscles and would not fit the classic style anymore, plus he's in BSAA and always has a partner, so unless another RE0 is made, then Chris would not fit. Jill after RE5 with all her kicks and flips is much to experienced to be in a classic style game anymore. because we would be like why cant i just back flip over this zombie. Claire's story seems more of a pacifist one, but she's probably the second choice for another classic game.

But since we have not seen Rebecca in so long, and she's probably just a civilian doctor with just the same level of training she had in RE1, she would be the perfect candidate to place in the middle of a classic style zombie outbreak.

Also i meant she has the most freedom because there is a lot of space to work with. whereas Leon, Chris and Jill are almost full up there is almost no times where we don't know what there doing.

Comment

^Brilliant rebuttal.

So, your anti-everyone-but-Rebecca argument is as follows:

Leon = super powers and stuff
          Chris = muscles
          Jill = kicks and flips
          Claire = pacifist

Those are the reasons that those particular characters cannot possibly star in any future "classic-style" RE games? What do any of those things (especially muscles or pacifism) have to do with being unable to walk down a 2-D corridor with static camera angles? Or especially a CGI film? I mean, hasn't Claire's pacifism and Leon's super powers already been shown in a CGI film?

As for the developments to those characters...well, most of them developed over time. Whereas super genius child prodigy jack-of-all trades Rebecca was an EIGHTEEN year old trained medic, who also had extensive knowledge of chemical engineering, not to mention law enforcement/weapons training. She's like MacGyver - and that was at the time of her barely entering adulthood. So, who knows WTF she would be capable of with the passage of time. Psychokinetic powers like Alice from the RE films, perhaps?

Rebecca is the most farfetched out of all main RE characters, which says a lot since they are all pretty damn farfetched.

Your logic once again only did damage to your own argument.

But since we have not seen Rebecca in so long, and she's probably just a civilian doctor with just the same level of training she had in RE1, she would be the perfect candidate to place in the middle of a classic style zombie outbreak.
          The same level of training she had in RE1?! That was already more than the other characters at the time. So...

Also, my initial statement that any bland, devoid-of-development-already-established (main series) RE character could be used in future installments applies to Chris, Jill, Claire, Leon, Ada, Ashley, Barry, Billy, Carlos, Sherry, Rebecca, etc. All RE characters are mostly interchangeable when it comes to the deep (/sarcasm) plots of RE games or stories.
          Last edited by Jill's Boob; 05-30-2009, 10:46 AM.

Comment

Wouldn't Claire being a Pacifist make her perfect for an old-style game. She wouldn't be prepared for an outbreak, so she wouldn't have any weapons. She'd just be flung into it unexpectedly.

Claire>Rebecca anyways.

Comment

Sure is middle-school in this thread.

Anyway, other than what I mentioned earlier, one thing I'd really like is something focused on the whole Wesker/Birkin/Spencer past stuff we learn in the reports.

Comment

^Brilliant rebuttal.

So, your anti-everyone-but-Rebecca argument is as follows:

Leon = super powers and stuff
                Chris = muscles
                Jill = kicks and flips
                Claire = pacifist

Those are the reasons that those particular characters cannot possibly star in any future "classic-style" RE games? What do any of those things (especially muscles or pacifism) have to do with being unable to walk down a 2-D corridor with static camera angles? Or especially a CGI film? I mean, hasn't Claire's pacifism and Leon's super powers already been shown in a CGI film?
                I didn't say Claire could not star in a classic game, i said she's second best choice after Rebecca for a new classic style RE game.

And i thought the reason why Rebecca would be the best choice would be obvious, you pointed it out yourself even.

Classic RE games have 2D corridors with static camera angles and the main player characters are always somewhat weak. In RE4/5 everyone is highly trained and Leon seems more worried about his hair that the monsters around him. Chris is a highly trained soldier, Jill is a highly trained soldier. If a new classic style RE game were made the best protagonist would be Rebecca, because she's the only main character who is not a super highly trained soldier now. Claire would be second best because she's civilian but she is also quite highly trained though she doesn't show it much. The scene in Degeneration where she protects Rani proves this.

Because you know, a good survival horror game usually has the monsters being stronger than the protagonist, otherwise it's not horror is it.

For a CGI movie i would like to see Rebecca the most because we have not seen her in ages and she's one of my favorite characters, i would also love to see Jill in the next CGI movie, maybe partnered with Chris on a mission.

But for a game Rebecca's the best choice for sure.

As for the developments to those characters...well, most of them developed over time. Whereas super genius child prodigy jack-of-all trades Rebecca was an EIGHTEEN year old trained medic, who also had extensive knowledge of chemical engineering, not to mention law enforcement/weapons training. She's like MacGyver - and that was at the time of her barely entering adulthood. So, who knows WTF she would be capable of with the passage of time. Psychokinetic powers like Alice from the RE films, perhaps?

Rebecca is the most farfetched out of all main RE characters, which says a lot since they are all pretty damn farfetched.

Your logic once again only did damage to your own argument.

The same level of training she had in RE1?! That was already more than the other characters at the time. So...
                Umm... Rebecca was relatively untrained in fighting and with weapons, just compare Rebecca in RE1 to Chris in RE5. I mean she was hiding in a corner when a Hunter came after her. She had a gun (cause she's a cop) but only really knew to point and pull the trigger, cause everyone knows that. She was just a medic, and so what if she was 18, all your saying here is that you assume all people 18 or under are unintelligent morons, and that you think a smart 18 year old is unrealistic. Rebecca is a field medic, not a full trained surgeon, it's not that far fetched. I think Rebecca is a really interesting character. She probably did chemistry in high school and studied medical science as well.

I have a friend who did that.

Also, my initial statement that any bland, devoid-of-development-already-established (main series) RE character could be used in future installments applies to Chris, Jill, Claire, Leon, Ada, Ashley, Barry, Billy, Carlos, Sherry, Rebecca, etc. All RE characters are mostly interchangeable when it comes to the deep (/sarcasm) plots of RE games or stories.
                What was the point of this?

Originally posted by BadWolfX View Post
                Wouldn't Claire being a Pacifist make her perfect for an old-style game. She wouldn't be prepared for an outbreak, so she wouldn't have any weapons. She'd just be flung into it unexpectedly.

Claire>Rebecca anyways.
                That's why i said Claire is the second best choice for a classic style game.

Comment

And i thought the reason why Rebecca would be the best choice would be obvious, you pointed it out yourself even.
                  I did? Nah, I'm pretty sure I was clear in stating that ANY character could be inserted randomly and be a sufficient means to an end.

Because you know, a good survival horror game usually has the monsters being stronger than the protagonist, otherwise it's not horror is it.
                  What? So, that's all that is required to make a "horror" game? I had no idea. I actually thought it would require atmosphere, genuine frights, AND monsters. But, apparently all it takes is monsters being stronger than the controllable character.

Actually, most video games have numerous opponents which are stronger/more powerful than the protagonist, hence the challenge in overcoming the odds. If a game were to have undefeatable enemies, then you'd never advance, and thus never beat the game. Then what's the point of playing?

In the case of RE...all characters are weaker than the opposition/monsters/enemies. It just so happens you find guns, grenade launchers, magnums, rocket launchers (usually in that order) to defeat the monsters that become harder and harder as the game progresses.

Compensation: As the game progresses, so does the weaponry to deal with the opposition.

In RE4/5, you find better weapons AND have the ability to upgrade their power.

NONE of the playable RE characters - Jill, Chris, HUNK, Leon, etc - are more powerful than the "monsters." And why is it that your arguments always seem to be stating things as factual? Your opinion is not fact.

Umm... Rebecca was relatively untrained in fighting and with weapons, just compare Rebecca in RE1 to Chris in RE5.
                  Let's see...Rebecca in RE1 (which takes place in 1998) compared to Chris in RE5 (which takes place in 2008). Fair comparison. [/sarcasm]

I mean she was hiding in a corner when a Hunter came after her. She had a gun (cause she's a cop) but only really knew to point and pull the trigger, cause everyone knows that.
                  Yet she was able to outlive all of her other Bravo Teammates through a strenuous ordeal involving the "other" mansion, the training facility, AND keep going to assist Chris in the Spencer Mansion. Yup, she was just a poor defenseless rookie who "only knew how to point and pull the trigger."

She was just a medic, and so what if she was 18, all your saying here is that you assume all people 18 or under are unintelligent morons, and that you think a smart 18 year old is unrealistic.
                  Is that what I was saying? Or what I was assuming? I didn't know I could say (apparently as fact) what I also assumed.

Anyway, please refrain from trying to make my opinions for me. Nowhere did I say ALL people under 18 are "unintelligent morons." But if that is what you are ASSUMING based on my arguments against ONE 18 year old FICTIONAL video game character, than so be it.

Rebecca is a field medic, not a full trained surgeon, it's not that far fetched. I think Rebecca is a really interesting character. She probably did chemistry in high school and studied medical science as well.

I have a friend who did that.
                  Congratulations on having a friend that did that.

I studied chemistry in high school as well - chem I and chem II - yet it didn't mean that at 18 years old I was able to discern numerous chemicals enough to combine them into anything useful. My high school chem was about understanding chemical properties, doing formulas, and rarely experimenting with the physical ingredients, much less learning to use them in the manner Rebecca did to create the V-Jolt.

EVERYTHING about Rebecca in RE0 and RE1 is farfetched.
                  Last edited by Jill's Boob; 06-02-2009, 10:56 AM.

Comment

What? So, that's all that is required to make a "horror" game? I had no idea. I actually thought it would require atmosphere, genuine frights, AND monsters. But, apparently all it takes is monsters being stronger than the controllable character.
                    Did i say that was all it takes? No i did not, stop twisting my words. Of coarse you need all the other stuff too.

Actually, most video games have numerous opponents which are stronger/more powerful than the protagonist, hence the challenge in overcoming the odds. If a game were to have undefeatable enemies, then you'd never advance, and thus never beat the game. Then what's the point of playing?

In the case of RE...all characters are weaker than the opposition/monsters/enemies. It just so happens you find guns, grenade launchers, magnums, rocket launchers (usually in that order) to defeat the monsters that become harder and harder as the game progresses.

Compensation: As the game progresses, so does the weaponry to deal with the opposition.

In RE4/5, you find better weapons AND have the ability to upgrade their power.

NONE of the playable RE characters - Jill, Chris, HUNK, Leon, etc - are more powerful than the "monsters." And why is it that your arguments always seem to be stating things as factual? Your opinion is not fact.
                    Yeah i know how a game works.

Actually since Chris, Jill, Hunk and Leon can defeat Ganados and Majini's with there bare hands they Are more powerful than the enemies in the recent RE games.

I mean Chris even punched a boulder out of the way, WTF!?

Let's see...Rebecca in RE1 (which takes place in 1998) compared to Chris in RE5 (which takes place in 2008). Fair comparison. [/sarcasm]
                    You didn't read it right.

If a new RE game is made, it will most likely be set after RE5. So, do you want Chris with the combat experience he had in RE5 to be the protagonist, or Rebecca with the experience she had in RE1 to be the protagonist?

Id take Rebecca anyday, that way it might be scary.

Yet she was able to outlive all of her other Bravo Teammates through a strenuous ordeal involving the "other" mansion, the training facility, AND keep going to assist Chris in the Spencer Mansion. Yup, she was just a poor defenseless rookie who "only knew how to point and pull the trigger.
                    It was through a combination of both luck and skill.

But your not seeing the bigger picture. Rebecca just barely managed to survive two houses with probably 30-40 zombies at max in them. But Chris, Leon, Jill and the others managed to reasonably easily, utterly destroy entire army's of plaga monsters and creatures, thousands of them.

Comment

Did i say that was all it takes? No i did not, stop twisting my words. Of coarse you need all the other stuff too.
                      Obviously, you do not understand the subtle nuances of sarcasm as opposed to "twisting words."

Actually since Chris, Jill, Hunk and Leon can defeat Ganados and Majini's with there bare hands they Are more powerful than the enemies in the recent RE games.
                      Finishing off an opponent with a melee move is just an extension of the RE4 mechanic. They're hardly taking on armies of undead with their bare hands. Usually it is a context move to administer the coup de grâce after prepping the enemy with some gunfire.

But then again, Rebecca and Billy have such moves in REUC, just as every character does. If Rebecca had been featured in RE4 or RE5, she would have had a melee move as well.

So, your objective statement that non-Rebecca-RE-characters are all more powerful than the enemies is just nonsensical. Which is just your style.

I mean Chris even punched a boulder out of the way, WTF!?
                      Yes, he did. Was it ridiculous? Yes, it was. But I actually think it is less ridiculous than the possibility of an 18-year-old field medic trained in law enforcement tactics with an extensive chemical composition background who endures 36-48 hours in not one but two zombie infested mansions surviving while other, more heavily trained (in combat) teammates are slaughtered easily.

If a new RE game is made, it will most likely be set after RE5. So, do you want Chris with the combat experience he had in RE5 to be the protagonist, or Rebecca with the experience she had in RE1 to be the protagonist?
                      This still makes no sense. So, you're still comparing RE1 Rebecca - who had endured 48 hours of hell - with Chris, 10 years later, after he'd faced numerous adventures and built upon his experience?

That's like saying that RE6 will take place in 2010, and will star battle-hardened Chris Redfield or Rebecca Chambers, cryogenically unfrozen 12 years after her last appearance in Raccoon City, with no personal advances to her skill set since she was indeed physically frozen in carbonite.

You could take any character and place them in an RE game and have it be scary as long as every other element BESIDES the hero was appropriately balanced for a horror (i.e. frightening) theme. The main character is irrelevant unless it is some sort of invincible entity like Superman.

But your not seeing the bigger picture. Rebecca just barely managed to survive two houses with probably 30-40 zombies at max in them. But Chris, Leon, Jill and the others managed to reasonably easily, utterly destroy entire army's of plaga monsters and creatures, thousands of them.
                      Yeah, 30-40 zombies, not to mention Hunters, Leech Monsters, Marcus (Leech Queen), Tyrants, Chimeras, etc, etc. She endured, she survived. And just like the others, if she had been featured in a subsequent RE game she would have prevailed, having built upon offscreen personal advances to promote her experiences in RE0 and RE1. Unless, of course, you are arguing that it is impossible to build upon previous experiences, as all the others had done.
                      Last edited by Jill's Boob; 06-03-2009, 02:11 PM.

Comment

It's a game; games are designed to be fun and so you can beat it. For example, just because Heather or Harry can kill a god using a steel pipe doesn't mean they are more powerful than said god.

So, do you want Chris with the combat experience he had in RE5 to be the protagonist, or Rebecca with the experience she had in RE1 to be the protagonist?

Believe me, if Rebecca will be in a next RE game, she will kick ass and will also have the ability to kill enemies with her bare hands (or legs).
                        Last edited by Mr_Zombie; 06-03-2009, 03:02 PM.

Comment

Lots of rambling not even relating to what i said.
                          Let me ask you something. Do you know what this argument is about? Because it doesn't seem like it.

I'm not making a statement saying one character is better than another, I'm saying that it is an impossibility to have Chris, Jill or Leon in a classic style RE game set after RE5.

Why? I shall explain it for you. But first, look at the following.

Spoiler:

Now if you look very closely you may notice Chris being over powered by a single mere zombie. He is weak in the game.

Spoiler:

And after close inspection of this here photograph, you may notice that Jill is Not back flipping over the zombies and dodging there bullets... i mean teeth. She is about to get killed by a zombie and is being overpowered.

Spoiler:

Now lookie here, you will see that Leon is weak and injured after just a few zombies, and he is about to die. He is scared and not saying one liners.

Now, if you will direct your attention to the next set of photographs.

Spoiler:

Oh look, the poor monster is crying cause big bad Chris hit him on the head with his huge muscly experienced arms. And look at Chris picking on those poor weak starving black men in Africa, oh wait, there supposed to be dangerous monsters, but i say Chris is more of a dangerous monster now. The only thing separating him from them is he has a brain, and more muscles.

Spoiler:

Now if you would direct your eyes away from Jill's vagina. You may notice that she is actually upside down doing a back flip over Chris while over powering him and kicking his ass. And later she runs up walls. I just want to point out how very different this is from the last picture of Jill i showed you.

Spoiler:

And now look here at Leon, he is so highly trained and skilled he dares to take on this giant brute with naught but a knife and wins and wins his jest easily and even fires a few one liners after wards cracking jokes about it. Just notice the immense contrast between this photograph and the last were Leon was almost dead after a few regular zombies.

Now if you have not figured out yet why they cannot be featured in any classic style game after RE5, then i will explain it for you.

They are simply too highly trained, they are only suited to action games now. Sure Rebecca survived the mansion, but so did Chris and Jill, And with Leon too they survived Raccoon City, Rockfort Island, Russia, Spain, Africa, and countless other assignments they have done.

So Rebecca has survived two small scale incident and Jill, Chris and Leon have survived many. Rebecca is the most inexperienced of the lot. Sure she may have built upon her experiences but so have Jill, Chris and Leon. making them even more skilled in the next game. Besides, After the incident Rebecca most likely quite STARS or was fired and became a doctor or a medic afterwords, thus having little to no combat experience since the mansion incidents.

Now, if Jill, Chris or Leon were to appear in any more classic style games, then how would they work? Jill could just run up the wall and backflip over every zombie she meets, Chris could punch it's head of easily, Leon could roundhouse kick it into the ground without a second thought, or just pump it full of lead. He always seems to have plenty of Ammo on him. And he would not miss, not after consistently getting Head shot after head shot in degeneration, He would be a one shot kill machine.

But if you insist that it is possible, and just have them not do all that stuff, then were going to have one huge continuity fuck up aren't we. I mean why on earth doesn't Chris just falcon punch the Tyrant into oblivion? Why doesn't Jill just jump on the zombies head and break it's neck, Why can't Lean aim properly anymore?

Then you might say, oh who cares, they can do that it doesn't matter. But then we would not have a classic style RE game would we. what we would have is a game called Devil May Cry, ever heard of it? Let me show you it. It's exactly what classic RE would be like with Chris, Jill or Leon as the protagonist after RE5.

Spoiler:

Now just imagine Dante as Chris, Jill or Leon and that's what you would get if you made a classic style RE game with them now.

Rebecca however, was lucky enough to never feature in a new RE game, that means if her next feature is in a classic style game she will be only a little more experience than she was in RE1, basically the difference between Jill in RE1 and Jill in RE3, or not even that.

Claire is also a very good choice but given the scene in degeneration were at her most desperate moment she pulls out her movies and kicks zombie ass, one would ask why Claire does not do that every time she is cornered by a zombie in the next classic game. Therefore leaving Rebecca as the number 1 choice.

The only way to have Chris, Jill or Leon back in a classic RE game is, set it before RE4 happened. Or possibly, hopefully in Jill's case once P30 was removed she returns to her normal self.

Do you understand what I'm saying now? have i made myself clear enough?
                          Last edited by missvalentine; 06-04-2009, 08:25 AM.

Comment

But if you insist that it is possible, and just have them not do all that stuff, then were going to have one huge continuity fuck up aren't why. I mean why on earth doesn't Chris just falcon punch the Tyrant into oblivion? Why doesn't Jill just jump on the zombies head and break it's neck, Why can't Lean aim properly anymore?
                            This is what you call "a game design".

Can a real life people run and shoot? Of course. Can characters in RE games (bar Outbreak File#2) can at least walk and shoot? No, because the game director didn't want them to.

In the opening of RECV Claire can duck and shoot in slow-motion. She can't do that few minutes later, in the game. Heck, she can't duck at all. Is that a problem or "huge continuity fuck up"? No.

In RE Zero Rebecca could drop item anywhere on the floor. Can she do this in RE1? No, she magically lost the ancient power of dropping items wherever she wants and is forced to use those ugly chests.

Was it a "big continuity fuck up" that Dante in DMC3 had four different styles and only one in DMC1 that takes place years later? Or was it "big continuity fuck up" that DMC4 Dante can't do few stuffs DMC3 can do?

You see, characters in game can do only those things game's creator want them to do. Sure, there are people who could complain "bwaha, why can't I falcon punch zombies now!!" but no one cares about them.

And, as I've said, if Rebecca would star in the next RE game and the creator of said game would think "you know, I want her to kill zombies by staring at them" she will do it. Because that's the game's designer choice.

Comment

I wouldn't mind seeing what Wesker did behind the scenes, or:

Spoiler:
                              Last edited by Project Omega; 06-04-2009, 10:36 AM.

Comment

First of all, missvalentine, don't ever use words that I never did to quote me. It's extra funny though, since a post from you in this very thread accuses me of "twisting your words" (which I never did) when you subsequently pull a stunt that is far worse.

Second, I can keep this rebuttal short, since Mr. Zombie is now making the exact same argument I have been, all along. He waltzed into this topic, and immediately grasped the real issue that was being debated.

It is just that you are too dense to accept something, and instead - as you usually do - start to ignore the subject matter at hand, distorting the topics to fit your own strange logic.

It's why there is a perceived animosity between yourself and so many others on this site (which, I believe, mods like Alexia Ashford like to mistakenly call "bullying"). No, so many people here disagree with you because you are usually wrong. And you never once (NOT EVEN ONCE) will admit it and accept it and go on about your day (or remove yourself from trying to repeatedly prove your point).

So I rest my case. Both myself and Mr Zombie have stated that "game design" will dictate the flow of any game, just like the director of a CGI film will dictate what any character will do in the film.

But thanks for giving me a chuckle, as you usually do, when I read your arguments. Especially your step-by-step pictoral debate, and the accompanying logic (?) that make these RE characters seem like real people who are restricted by their video game representations (i.e. if Chris can do something in RE5, then he has to be able to do it in RE7, but cannot do it in RE1.5), rather than instead being fictional masses of polygons who can do whatever the game designers choose them to do.

-FIN-
                                Last edited by Jill's Boob; 06-04-2009, 11:47 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X