Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Were Umbrella's intentions with the T-Virus always evil?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Darkmoon View Post
    His genes weren't even altered as a child, I don't believe. He was simply a child from superior parents both physically and mentally who was then given the best enviorment to develop both of these things. He was a normal human, albeit a bit insane, until he got injected with the Wesker Virus.

There are several problems with your theory, though. There's no evidence that Uroborus used Las Plagas, or that there was any intention of infected Uroborus victims with Las Plagas. The Uroborus, if I recall, is purely Sonnentreppe and Progenetor derived. Along with Jill's antibodies. He needed Las Plagas to make guards that were loyal and, of course, to sell to fund his research but didn't use them himself as far as I recall.

Wesker would have no control over the vast number of Uroborus creatures created when he released the virus, nor would any of the handful or survivors who bonded with him be in anyway beholden to him. Indeed, they might be pretty pissed that he just killed off there family and friends. Progenator, on the other hand, is entirely kill or enhance. Hence why Spencer's plan is actually the better of the two. Uroborus would create more problems than it solved, even if only one in ten of it's victims became Urobous creatures they'd use the mass of the other nine to grow. Look how few of them it took for Excella to grow to the size she did.
    I agree with you, and I think most of the problems with Wesker's plan can be blamed on his insanity and the fact that the RE games are science fiction.

I think that saying a game is bad because of plot holes is dumb. Plot holes don't affect the game at all. People should ust ignore them and have fun playing the game.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray View Post
      I remember, the movies made it seem with good intentions (the creator wanted it to help his semi-crippled daughter be well, and not become like him, bound in a wheelchair). But then, the company he worked for, UMBRELLA'HHZ, decided to take it to their own use. It sounded good, but they executed it horribly.
      Too bad the majority of the RE fanbase likes to pretend the movies didn't exist >_>

Originally posted by BLSR1 View Post
      I think that saying a game is bad because of plot holes is dumb. Plot holes don't affect the game at all. People should ust ignore them and have fun playing the game.
      A game by itself isn't bad with plot holes.
      A game's story is bad if there are plot holes. We're no longer in that era where people can keep stories to a minimum due to software limitations. Some people like their games to have an indepth/fleshed out story, and plot holes will affect their experience.

Most plot holes are fan made.
      [...]
      It's my opinion that there are no plot holes in RE5 unless you make them. Sure Sherry isn't mentioned. Its not really important, becasue we don't know for sure if she's still a captive.
      There's a difference between a plot hole and an unanswered question.

Plot hole is when they introduce plot points that completely contradict earlier plot points.
      Last edited by JcFFx; 07-16-2009, 09:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JcFFx View Post
        Too bad the majority of the RE fanbase likes to pretend the movies didn't exist >_>

A game by itself isn't bad with plot holes.
        A game's story is bad if there are plot holes. We're no longer in that era where people can keep stories to a minimum due to software limitations. Some people like their games to have an indepth/fleshed out story, and plot holes will affect their experience.

There's a difference between a plot hole and an unanswered question.

Plot hole is when they introduce plot points that completely contradict earlier plot points.
        Now THAT I didn't know. About the plot holes.

The discussion seems to be a bit heated. However, the responses are riddled with spoilers (for me), so I'm a bit afraid to read them. Heh...

Blame it on my ignorance, I guess. I DID start a topic about Umbrella.

Comment

Originally posted by WeskerIncarnate View Post
          Now THAT I didn't know. About the plot holes.

The discussion seems to be a bit heated. However, the responses are riddled with spoilers (for me), so I'm a bit afraid to read them. Heh...

Blame it on my ignorance, I guess. I DID start a topic about Umbrella.
          If you haven't played RE5 then stay away from those replies, they practically spell out the whole plot.
          Last edited by BLSR1; 07-17-2009, 12:01 AM.

Comment

maybe Spencer wanted to be both massively rich and engineer super humans or something like that. That way his money and power would make him become a God....sounds a tad familiar....

Comment

I think Umbrella's intentions with the T- Virus and other Viruses were always evil. Yes Spencer had his plans of world domination and creating a master race but only he knew about that until Wesker killed him. As for the rest of the company well they were in it for money and whatever selfish gains. I'm sure there were other scientists like Marcus who knew that they could get away with immoral and illegal experiments. Its possible that employees in the pharmaceutical part of the company had no idea what was going on and there just a select number of researchers working the biological divison. It seemed that way after Spencer's files in 5 mentioned that employees had different access levels to information.
              Last edited by Stars1356; 07-22-2009, 12:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Darkmoon View Post

Wesker would have no control over the vast number of Uroborus creatures created when he released the virus, nor would any of the handful or survivors who bonded with him be in anyway beholden to him. Indeed, they might be pretty pissed that he just killed off there family and friends. Progenator, on the other hand, is entirely kill or enhance. Hence why Spencer's plan is actually the better of the two. Uroborus would create more problems than it solved, even if only one in ten of it's victims became Urobous creatures they'd use the mass of the other nine to grow. Look how few of them it took for Excella to grow to the size she did.

Which is odd. You'd think someone as smart as Wesker would realize that one...
                I dont know, he could have quite a clever plan. You release Uroborus, and you have a load of superhumans running about. Now there is no guarantee that they would follow you, unless you give them a damn good reason to. And i'd say billions of vast mutant creatures, that only you know exactly how to defeat, is a good reason.

Play it the right way, and Wesker could present himself as a messiah, and the survivors would follow.

When it comes to the T-Virus, Umbrella was either founded as a fiendishly intricate way for Spencer to take over the world and fulfill his delusions of godhood, or Umbrella was phenomenally stupid enough to create a virus that can jump species quicker than you can say H5N1 in the middle of a forest.
                Last edited by Spiderpope; 07-19-2009, 05:12 PM.

Comment

That's actually a good point, and the first time I've seen someone put a positive spin on the Uroborus over Progenator. Nice.

Comment

Don't worry about all the Uroboros monsters that are created. As John said, they'd just go live in Antarctica or something.

Comment

Originally posted by Dot50Cal View Post
                      Don't worry about all the Uroboros monsters that are created. As John said, they'd just go live in Antarctica or something.
                      I proposed the theory a long time ago that the Uroboros creatures would eventually just amass into huge masses reminiscent of Uroboros Aheri, and would be destroyed by that satellite death cannon thing.
                      PROJECT Umbrella - The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium

Comment

Speaking of Spencer's plans, I never quite understood just how he intended to become a "god." Assuming, for the sake of argument, all of the Wesker Children had survived, did he think the simple fact that he created superhumans made him a god? Did he think that he would rule over them as their god, despite the fact that he himself was not superhuman? You'd think that they might take issue with that, considering the fact that any one of them could easily overpower him. Heck, they could probably overpower him without any enhanced abilities whatsoever, given his rather frail body.

Or was he so sure that his mental conditioning would keep them under his control, regardless of their physical superiority? It just always seemed kind of unusual to me that he didn't use that prototype virus on himself in a bid to achieve his "godhood." Unless he was using the Wesker Children as a test to see if the prototype virus was even viable. I wonder if, had all of the Wesker Children survived, Spencer would have used the virus on himself.

Comment

Maybe. Maybe he was simply refering to the idea that the world would have been remade in his image and by his will. It's sort of hard to be sure exactly what he meant. Maybe he was infected with one of his virus' but due to his age he still didn't have a chance of surviving Wesker's punch.

Comment

i miss real zombies...well after that randomness i would like to say that umbrella never really intended for the outbreaks(at the time) also remember how the horrible movies stated that umbrealla made four out of five products in the home do you think they got that from the cut scene where the hunk steps on the soda can that has the umbreall logo on it???

Comment

Umbrella were always evil. From the start, their research was illegal which is why Umbrella was created to begin with, to give off the impression that it was a legitimate business. At the start of the series and from Weskers Report, we were given the impression that Umbrella's goal was to create a virus with 100% infection rate. For what purposes, we don't know, but it's pretty obvious that at this point, Capcom was aiming more towards biological warfare.

After that, it seemed more like Umbrella's mission was to create the ultimate super-soldier, and this goes from RE2 up to the Russian Facility mission on UC. Again, for warfare. You had the T-002 in RE1 which obviously had big issues (stabbing personnel) and then the T-103 in RE2 which could follow simple orders but went batshit if its limiter was destroyed and reverted to the crazy bitch state that the T-002 had. The T-078 in CVX, a modded T-103, it had no limiter device but it could still follow basic orders and identify its enemies using a scent program, again, a little bit advanced from the T-103. Then of course we get Nemesis who could follow complex orders and operate weaponry and it took a lot to get him to deviate from his mission, then T-ALOS and the Ivans.

All of this seems to follow one streamlined goal. Making the perfect weapon. Always evil, and it was the case for however many games.

Then we get Spencer wanting to be a God and the Wesker children and it turns out he was never even bothered about making any weapons to begin with, he just wanted to be a God. Uh.....

I think I'll remember Umbrella how it was.

And Umbrella never did intend the outbreaks, that was because of Birkin and those mangy little sewer rats. D:
                              Last edited by Alexia_Ashford; 07-26-2009, 06:01 AM.

Comment

I always rather liked the idea that Spencer simply wanted utter chaos. He wasn't doing it for any particular rhyme or reason, and certainly not some "higher purpose." He was just doing it because, as Alfred said of the Joker in The Dark Knight, "Some men just want to watch the world burn." It certainly helped to explain why he wanted a virus with a 100% infection rate and why he placed the Arklay Mansion in the middle of a forest where the virus could easily be spread.

RE5 kind of poopooed all over that notion, though.

Comment

Working...
                                X