1.5 Map Confusion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Enetirnel View Post
    Thank you, however as far as I was aware the Black Crow ones were a bit outdated after the discussion over on Bioflames. Or am I wrong on that? ;
    Correct. They are outdated and incorrect. This same video was posted on Bioflames and I addressed the issues with each on there. I'll copy and post:

Map 1 - RPD 1F. This one is obviously wrong, as we have a legit 1F map already. The only thing wrong with this one however, is the middle room above the reception area is not correctly split into 2 rooms (probably interrogation rooms) and the 2 doors leading to them from the west main offices area are not present. Also, there is not supposed to be a door leading out of the west main office room on the northern wall.

Map 2 - Umbrella Factory/Packaging Facility outside areas. This map is grossly off in too many ways to bother typing them up. There is a accurate map of this area, thanks to the backgrounds available, so the map on this video is garbage.

Map 3 - Black Crow's Umbrella Factory/Packaging Facility map. This map is fine. It accurately portrays (for the most part, minus some detail mistakes) the outside areas and the packaging, management, and warehouse areas.

Map 4 - RPD 1F. This map is fine is for the most part.

Map 5 - RPD 1F. This map is also fine, except for the inclusion of speculated images location (Roy's location, the alignment of the stairs in the west stairwell, and the inclusion of a random shutter in the east hall that may or may not exist as there is no available footage of that hallway).

Map 6 - RPD 2F. Garbage map. Inaccurate and full of baseless guesswork and made-up areas and design. The scaling is also bad. And the outside front area that leads to the manhole is not shaped like that.

Map 7 - RPD 3F. Another garbage map. Highly inaccurate and nothing but baseless random guesswork. It's an old map though and outdated. The helipad is designed incorrectly.

Map 8 - Sewers. Door location errors and manhole entrance guesswork. The incorrect door locations make this map's layout inaccurate, and hence useless.

Map 9 - Sewers. Wild guesswork by the creator that is probably largely inaccurate. Some areas are also incorrectly designed. Coupled with map 10, which goes along with it, it's not very good.

Map 10 - Sewers. Wild guesswork again by the creator of the map. Some of the areas are from an old build and may not even be in the later versions, making the possibility of this map even more unlikely. One area is also not even a sewer area, hence also invalidating the design of this map.
    Black Crow gets a lot of credit because he was the first to put together the available backgrounds of the warehouse, facility, and laboratories into a cohesive and largely accurate (with some tweaking over the years) map set. He did a good job on those and he deserves the credit. But those backgrounds were becoming widely available. Someone would have come up with the accurate maps for those eventually if he hadn't. Not to insult him or anything, but he probably gets a little too much praise for his maps as a whole since the rest are rubbish. But he does deserve credit for the warehouse, above ground facility, and laboraties and the hard effort he's put in.

The problem lies with the RPD and sewers. With the exception of the available legit magazine screenshot of the RPD 1st floor (which may or may not be the complete floor, but seems to be - minus the outside front balcony and passage leading to a manhole), his RPD and sewer maps have been largely guesswork and most of them have had glaring errors that has caused them to be revised over the years, but even now they are still largely inaccurate and unlikely due to the fact there just is not enough available material to guess well enough without adding too much artificial areas/hallways to connect everything. Not to mention considering Capcom is notorious for scaling and placement screwups in map design, you can't really predict proper placement when one room may appear too large to fit in a certain spot mapwise but would be there in-game. I don't agree with most of his non-1F RPD and his sewer maps, and there are still definite non-opinion/guesswork based errors in some of them (door locations he missed or incorrectly aligned and such.)

I've given up at the moment on mapping the RPD and Sewers. I've tried dozens of times and while I've come up with a few decent ideas to fit everything together with little to no artificial additions, it's still just too impossible with the available material.
    sigpic

Comment

• I'm probably two years late to the party, but I think I finally figured out where the emergency ladder was in the 1.5 Lab's Subfloor/Boiler Room Area.

Spoiler:
      Seibu teh geimu?
      ---

Comment

• That image you show of the lab with the untextured polygons biohazard_star*, I that it was a place holder for an animation of Birkin falling off the edge when defeated and falling to the floor below.

By the way, some of my maps were accurate and others "guess work" (inflames term),and some I just made up completely like the sewer maps. I just wanted to make all the maps complete for Resident Evil 1.5.
        Last edited by Black~Crow; 07-07-2012, 04:15 PM.
        I have received 135,000 infractions at The Horror Is Alive!

Comment

• Yea, either Birkin or the player character, I assume. I thought your factory map was spot on, and the lab maps accurate for the most part.
          Seibu teh geimu?
          ---

Comment

• Well, In the lab map, the ladder that goes down to level B - 5 I think, the area similar to the giant plant on the wall in the retail version, has 3 floors not 2. Alzaire pointed that out to me awhile back. I meant to update the map but just forgot about it because I was busy. I seen on the other thread the RE1.5 might be released soon. So maybe we will see how the real maps look.
            I have received 135,000 infractions at The Horror Is Alive!

Comment

• Yep. The fire escape definitely led to all three levels of the lab. It's funny how the door leading to the second level doesn't match up with its other side on the C-2 Hangar area though, probably just a placeholder issue.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	ROOM4XX038.jpeg
Views:	2
Size:	11.1 KB
ID:	401434Click image for larger version

Name:	ROOM4XX039.jpeg
Size:	14.1 KB
ID:	401435Click image for larger version

Name:	ROOM4XX040.jpeg
Size:	10.4 KB
ID:	401436
              Last edited by biohazard_star; 07-08-2012, 12:52 AM.
              Seibu teh geimu?
              ---

Comment

• It looks like no one managed to complete and verify these translations... so... here you go:

Originally posted by Alzaire View Post
                「下に何かいるかも知れないしー こんな言があるだろ?」
                "There might be something down thereー Don't you think that could be?"
                *NOTE: the language used implies that this "something" is animate, and thus probably a monster*

Originally posted by Alzaire View Post
                「地下に逃げるってのはどうだ?」
                "How about escaping underground?"

As MattJon mentioned, going between Japanese and English is never 1:1; there is a spectrum between literal and natural translations (I decided to provide natural ones above).

As for deciphering the kanji, it takes a very keen eye and adequate context (considering the poor quality of the images), but it is certainly possible in nearly all cases. I happen to study kanji (Chinese characters) very deeply, and I am familiar with all but the most advanced/archaic Japanese grammar points and vocabulary, so I can also use context to help me (after all, Resident Evil dialogue isn't exactly Shakespeare, but it is quite colloquial which can sometimes be muddy).

I would love to do proper translations of all the Inflames-exclusive images, but I need those damned watermarks to be either erased or moved away from the subtitles.
                Last edited by Enigmatism415; 09-14-2012, 05:11 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Alzaire View Post
                  Honestly it's still up in the air as to whether it's the second floor Medical Room, or a Forensics Room in the basement.
                  Based on the shape of the room and the similarity of the doors (they were probably either modified or mismatched), I would say that this is the 2nd floor Medical Room. There is no evidence of a forensics room to my knowledge, though of course that doesn't mean that there isn't one. The shape of this room matches the hallway outline of the Medical Room's entrance:

Name:	BH2_RPD_F2.png
Views:	3
Size:	127.5 KB
ID:	401724Click image for larger version

Name:	attachment.png
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	401727

Also, check out this untextured background from the Trial Disc (RPD section)...

Name:	ROOM2XX163.jpeg
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	401725

Doesn't that seem like a plausible match?

---

P.S. can someone tell me what/where the hell this is? I found it on the Trial Disc:

Name:	ROOM2XX181.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	401726

And these?

Name:	ROOM1XX146.jpeg
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	401728Click image for larger version

Name:	ROOM1XX147.jpeg
Size:	16.9 KB
ID:	401729Click image for larger version

Name:	ROOM1XX148.jpeg
Size:	4.8 KB
ID:	401730Click image for larger version

Name:	ROOM1XX149.jpeg
Size:	4.5 KB
ID:	401731Click image for larger version

Name:	ROOM1XX150.jpeg
Size:	6.8 KB
ID:	401732

Comment

• Originally posted by Enigmatism415 View Post
                    P.S. can someone tell me what/where the hell this is? I found it on the Trial Disc:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]7227[/ATTACH]

And these?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]7229[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]7230[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]7231[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]7232[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]7233[/ATTACH]
                    The first is the untextured Parking Lot.
                    The second row of pictures is the corridor to the room where you find Sherry in RE2.
                    (That corridor in Chief Irons's office)

Comment

• I think the medical room is just supposed to be a test room for retail. It's grouped with a bunch of other early stuff like an unfinished marshaling yard and an unused sewer passage. While the room definitely has a 1.5-ish feel it probably isn't a room from 1.5. It is reusing assets from 1.5 though, namely from the operating room and probably from the RPD's medical room too. I guess if anybody's gonna try to recreate the latter, they can use the room as a reference.
                      Seibu teh geimu?
                      ---

Comment

• I was just going to say that the operating room in retail RE2, especially the entrance, is very similar to the medical/forensics room in 1.5

Comment

• Originally posted by doriantoki View Post
                          I was just going to say that the operating room in retail RE2, especially the entrance, is very similar to the medical/forensics room in 1.5
                          Do you mean the one in the Lab?

Also, can someone tell me where this area is?

Name:	ROOM7XX017.jpeg
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	401733Click image for larger version

Name:	ROOM7XX018.jpeg
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	401734Click image for larger version

Name:	ROOM7XX019.jpeg
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	401735Click image for larger version

Name:	ROOM7XX020.jpeg
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	401736

Comment

• Originally posted by Enigmatism415 View Post
                            Do you mean the one in the Lab?

Also, can someone tell me where this area is?
                            [ATTACH=CONFIG]7234[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]7235[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]7236[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]7237[/ATTACH]
                            It's an RE2 retail concept of the sewer. The autopsy room backgrounds are also concept RE2, not 1.5.
                            sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Alzaire View Post
                              It's an RE2 retail concept of the sewer. The autopsy room backgrounds are also concept RE2, not 1.5.
                              What makes you think that the autopsy room backgrounds were not intended at one point to be used in BH1.5?

Also, do you know what the below untextured background is supposed to depict? It looks an awful lot like the BH1.5 RPD 2F corridor.

Name:	ROOM2XX163.jpeg
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	401737

Comment

• I think it was Alzaire who pointed out long ago that the doors are wrong. The map of the room is right, the dimensions are right, but the windows in the door are the wrong size. They're too small on the inside view. They're smaller on the Trial than they are on the outside of the double doors in the RPD 2F Main Hall from RE15, per the lone surviving still of that area. Best guess is that they started to retool the room for use in RE2 Beta 1, hence the change in the door windows, then abandoned it at some point during the beta process - reasons unknown.

Here's what I'm talking about:

See how the windows on the double doors from RE15 are larger? In fact, they're identical to the ones used for the double doors to the Morgue in RE2. Definitely different than the double doors on the background ripped from the Trial.

Who knows what Capcom was up to? We know they gave the Morgue the double doors it needed for RE2 that were sadly lacking in RE15. It would have been rather difficult to wheel a laden gurney through that hooked hall and through the single door to RE15's Morgue. How was the "new" Medical Room supposed to fit into RE2, and why was it eventually deleted? Why a different style of doors? Where would it have gone had they left it in? Kinda makes you wonder ....
                                Last edited by RMandel; 10-12-2012, 04:15 AM.
                                Do you know where I can find the final build of Resident Evil 1.5?
                                Please contact me if so! re15finalbuild@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
                                X