Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Darkside Chronicles Character Discussion.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He'll probably be a likeable hardass or something to that effect. Maybe a mentor to Leon?
    A man chooses...a slave obeys.

Comment

Actually, the GC trailer has me wondering about how the characters are being portrayed versues how they were portrayed in the original games. DSC seems to be changing several of the canon's concepts, though in no way I'm I trying to say its changing actual *canon*, but more of since this is unoffical, there just trying adapt the stories more "loosely" to fit the game. Anyways, my thoughts on some characters.

1. Alexander Ashford - He's the first one in the trailer, so I'll start with him. Why would he be concerned about Alexia "being obsessed with Veronica virus." Correct me if I"m wrong, but I thought Alexander "created" Alexia and Alfred to regain the glory the Ashfords once held, not that he actually cared about them as "his" children or anything. From the files in CVX, it seems that this is what angers Alexia and Alfred so that they expierment on him as revenge. In a way, this was the start of both the twins journey on the road of insanity(besides the hinted incest of their relationship). Making Alexander "concerned" seems silly, and makes Alexia just plain evil with no rhyme nor reason(which, CVX Alexia doesn't really have much characterization to begin with compared to Alfred).

2. Annette Birkin - Wow, they're really pushing it with her. "William, it's time to finish this?" What? "The virus is flawed. Our research was a failure." What the hell is DSC talking about? Annette coudln't stop bragging in RE2 to whoever about William's "gensius" and how great G was. Not to mention, obsessed with William, like he was still a tangible human being or something(and gets gutted for it in Clarie's A sernario).

3. Even Sherry is off. "She doesn't miss her parents?" That's kind of going against how she went off to look for "daddy" when she heard William calling out her name.

Then again, DSC isn't cannon besides the new section, so I suppose its nothing to get worked up about, but it all seems rather blatant if you ask me.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jagger916 View Post
        It always pisses me of when they give someone a shit-load of throwing knives thinking it makes him a badass. Throwing knives are shit in actual combat. They are useless.
        True. But you have to remember that there was a knife fight in RE4 where the knives were used like fucking katanas.

Originally posted by Rosetta Mist View Post
        If he's not a bastard, I'll be extremely disappointed. But considering he is a "good guy" at this point, I'm not too sure how they will portray him.
        He can still be a good guy but retain a dickhead personality. See Blaine from "Predator."
        Last edited by Jill's Boob; 08-30-2009, 10:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by valentinesdead? View Post
          2. Annette Birkin - Wow, they're really pushing it with her. "William, it's time to finish this?" What? "The virus is flawed. Our research was a failure." What the hell is DSC talking about? Annette coudln't stop bragging in RE2 to whoever about William's "gensius" and how great G was. Not to mention, obsessed with William, like he was still a tangible human being or something(and gets gutted for it in Clarie's A sernario).
          Yeah, I wonder how they will play it off. Especially since Annette is the one who shots Leon and she's the one who tells him that Ada is a spy. When she was this "evil crazy women" it make sense, but now, when she's a good guy, it isn't.
          Also, maybe it was just me, but in Claire's A scenario, at the end, just before she dies, when she heard William's voice it seemed as if she wasn't fully aware of what was left of William. Not until she actually saw him (and then get stabbed by him). It looked as if she's still thinking about him as a human, not a monster.

3. Even Sherry is off. "She doesn't miss her parents?" That's kind of going against how she went off to look for "daddy" when she heard William calling out her name.
          Yeah, that's really strange. The sole reason why Sherry was constantly running away was because she heard "daddy" screaming her name and wanted to help him. Now that won't make any sense.
          Last edited by Mr_Zombie; 08-31-2009, 03:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Zombie View Post
            Yeah, I wonder how they will play it off. Especially since Annette is the one who shots Leon and she's the one who tells him that Ada is a spy. When she was this "evil crazy women" it make sense, but now, when she's a good guy, it isn't.
            Also, maybe it was just me, but in Claire's A scenario, at the end, just before she dies, when she heard William's voice it seemed as if she wasn't fully aware of what was left of William. Not until she actually saw him (and then get stabbed by him). It looked as if she's still thinking about him as a human, not a monster.

Yeah, that's really strange. The sole reason why Sherry was constantly running away was because she heard "daddy" screaming her name and wanted to help him. Now that won't make any sense.

Oh yeah, how could I forget about Annette shooting Leon and knowing Ada was a spy? Even more ammo to add to the discussion. And about Annette when she sees William for the last time, breaking out my old RE2 recording, Annette's pretty damn gleeful about seeing him(until William strikes her of course, knocking sense into her, lol). Not to mention in that scene, she's about to kill Claire for "killing William", which pretty much shows Annette was CERTAINLY not in her right state-of-mind, which DSC, as far as the trailer goes, has no indication of.

As far as Sherry goes, yeah. Detaching her from her parents makes the Birkin family story not much a tragic happening. "My mean ole parents Claire--I don't care for them." Where's the 12 year old girl that was wanting to be loved in RE2? But anyways, I"m willing to bet William will be portrayed as the "insane" one more or less. His portrayel in RE2 is hilarous campy by today standards. "Oh G virus, I"ll never let anyone take you away from me."

Though I will say, Annette actually stating that the G virus is a failure is pretty spot on, since the subject loses it's intelligence. You figure that both William and Annette, two of the top scitentist in Umbrella, would have realized that in the first place you know? That's probably how they'll use William as being relentless in perfecting it.

Ironically, tinkering with Steve is one of best positives we can get out of DSC. Steve could actaully be pretty damn cool finally after its all said and done. I never thought I'd say that. You just gotta love that part with him checking Claire out from behind like a sly devil. Yes Capcom, that's how you make a character cool(and a good VA as well.) No more "I'M SORRIIESSSS CLAIRE"

But on a different matter, is anyone mostly looking forward to Alfred in this game? It's great they got back the original VA too. Besides Alyson Court, he was the only other great VA in that game. Oh you cross-dressing lovable freak!

EDIT* Just cleaning that post up a little. Sorry guys, it was real early in the morning.
            Last edited by valentinesdead?; 08-31-2009, 12:52 PM.
            sigpic

Comment

Is Alfred once again voiced by Peter Oldring? He doesn't sound as crazy in those DSC trailers as he sounded in CV.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Zombie View Post
                Is Alfred once again voiced by Peter Oldring? He doesn't sound as crazy in those DSC trailers as he sounded in CV.

I'm 98% sure that's Peter Oldring in the trailers. There's no cast list offically out or anything, but I can tell by the first Code Veronica reveal trailer and the last GC trailer its definitely him. The CV trailer has a line that sounds very close to his original performance. Spot-check "Don't you just love this little game?" I believe he says that to Claire(and Steve maybe). Also in the GC trailer, his spill about Alexia, "Awakening from her slumber to bring forth the great Veronica," while a much darker(yet more realistic) tone of voice than anything most associate with Peter Oldring's performance, you can tell its still his voice.

Either that, or Capcom found a damn good impersonater.

I was really surprised with the CV reveal trailer. I had pretty much figured with Capcom's track record with VA's, Alfred would unfortuantely get replaced for a more "spiffier" voice. They replaced Richard Waugh for christ sakes, so why would they go through the trouble to bring back Mr. Oldring. But color me satisfied.

Still can't tell about Alexia's new VA though. Her child voice is kinda irritating, but we'll see. My only real gripe is that, even going on a sound byte of "Claire," that is NOT Chris's VA from RE5. What da hell Capcom? You guys always have to have at least one inconsistency, right?
                sigpic

Comment

Still can't tell about Alexia's new VA though. Her child voice is kinda irritating, but we'll see. My only real gripe is that, even going on a sound byte of "Claire," that is NOT Chris's VA from RE5. What da hell Capcom? You guys always have to have at least one inconsistency, right?
                  Well CV does take place 9 or 10 years before RE5. They probably wanted a younger sounding voice for Chris.
                  PROJECT Umbrella - The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium

Comment

Originally posted by News Bot View Post
                    Well CV does take place 9 or 10 years before RE5. They probably wanted a younger sounding voice for Chris.

True. But damn if RE5 Chris ain't awesome, steroids and all

"Goddammit Wesker!"

Actually, does anyone have an opinion if the voice for Chris is the same Chris VA from Umbrella Chronicles? I can't really say.
                    Last edited by valentinesdead?; 08-31-2009, 01:29 PM.
                    sigpic

Comment

Since the RE5 demo came out I always thought Chris's VA sounded like Kirk Van Houten (Milhouse's father) from The Simpsons.

About Alexander, I never saw him as depraved or sinister; keep in mind most of the exposition we got of him came from the eyes of the vengeful and psychopathic Alexia and Alfred– they think of him as diabolical (I never noticed the slashed picture of Alexander in the area behind the Ashford portrait, nice touch Capcom). When you think about it, his research seemed the most ethical. He wasn't experimenting directly on humans, he just made test-tube twins (and, besides the psychopathy, he kinda made a scientific breakthrough in terms of intelligence).

Comment

Originally posted by GuardhouseMusic View Post
                        Since the RE5 demo came out I always thought Chris's VA sounded like Kirk Van Houten (Milhouse's father) from The Simpsons.

About Alexander, I never saw him as depraved or sinister; keep in mind most of the exposition we got of him came from the eyes of the vengeful and psychopathic Alexia and Alfred– they think of him as diabolical (I never noticed the slashed picture of Alexander in the area behind the Ashford portrait, nice touch Capcom). When you think about it, his research seemed the most ethical. He wasn't experimenting directly on humans, he just made test-tube twins (and, besides the psychopathy, he kinda made a scientific breakthrough in terms of intelligence).

When you put it like that, that makes sense. I can see that. I hadn't realized the information we get is mostly through Alexia's and Alfred's skewed view of the man. Ironically, Alexander Ashford may have been the closet thing to a moral man in the Umbrella Organization, and look what that got him!

What's that old saying? Nice guys finish last. . .and then get turned into a ghastly monster by their kids. So much for thanks.

Still, Annette and Sherry's lines in the GC trailer make no sense in the context of cannon.
                        sigpic

Comment

The only thing that one can argue about Alexander fitting in with the rest of Umbrella's EVILLE employees is that Alexia and Alfred's conception was purely for scientific purposes/the "glory of the Ashford family." He may not have been a caring father, or he may ignored them as William did to Sherry. I'd entertain that he's not a saint, but relative to Umrella's best and brightest, his work and intentions were not depraved. I think it depends upon your opinion of test-tube babies/genetic engineering.

To me Alexander seems like someone who's under immense pressure. The company, reputation, and support that Edward had is being squandered by the minute and Alexander is the last surviving member.

Comment

I think the Birkins are the best comparison to Alexander. As others have said, from the past games, all we know is that Alexander started the CODE: Veronica project to revive the Ashford family's glory, and he was a gifted scientist. He really didn't have any involvement in Umbrella at all. That may have been why Alexia and Alfred were so ashamed of him, for letting the Ashfords holdings in Umbrella slip.

Comment

Hmm, but I thought Alfred still did things with "the pride of the Ashford family" in mind, while Alexia's intentions had more to do with her own gain than Umbrella's.

Comment

Originally posted by GuardhouseMusic View Post
                                Hmm, but I thought Alfred still did things with "the pride of the Ashford family" in mind, while Alexia's intentions had more to do with her own gain than Umbrella's.
                                He was far too involved in his own sadistic games to care about the glory of the Ashford family. Their holdings in Umbrella decreased just as much during his time as the Ashford family master as it did with Alexander. In the original game, Alexia's intentions were selfish and she wanted to rule the world as she saw everyone else as inferior. In DSC, from what I've seen, her motivation seems to have been completely retconned, to her and Alfred both wanting to revive "Veronica", as Alexander did.

Comment

Working...
                                X