Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Darkside Chronicles Character Discussion.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fair play. This is the DSC character discussion and not the CV(X) one

Comment

Originally posted by Alexia_Ashford View Post
      He was far too involved in his own sadistic games to care about the glory of the Ashford family. Their holdings in Umbrella decreased just as much during his time as the Ashford family master as it did with Alexander. In the original game, Alexia's intentions were selfish and she wanted to rule the world as she saw everyone else as inferior. In DSC, from what I've seen, her motivation seems to have been completely retconned, to her and Alfred both wanting to revive "Veronica", as Alexander did.

So I guess I"m not the only one seeing things with this whole DSC "retconning several motivations for key characters." Either this is meant to be them trying to improve upon the foundation of RE2, CVX, or they really aren't trying to pay attention to how the characters psychology was actually portrayed in real games. Interesting decisions none the less. I hadn't thought abotu that one Alexia. Great point. I remember Alexia thought of her brother as a baffon. Wonder if that will be changed now. . .
      sigpic

Comment

Well, Alexia always cared about Alfred to an extent. She cared about him as much as she was physically able to care for a person, which, due to her psychological condition, wasn't a great deal. She thought of him in her own words as her "loyal soldier ant". She needed him to protect her while she slept. She knew he was dedicated to her. It obviously bothered her when he died. However, Alexia only ever cared about herself truly. In the games, she makes it quite clear she views herself above all else, anyone else, any other lifeform for that matter, as stated here;

Originally posted by The R33l Alexia;
        There is one queen ant in each anthill, and the soldier and worker ants are the queen's slaves. They dedicate their lives to the queen. The death of the queen ant means the doom of the entire anthill.

However, the soldier and worker ants can be easily replaced as long as the queen ant is alive. This is exactly the same relationship between myself and other ignorant masses.
        She thinks any other human being can be easily replaced but if she should die, the world would end. No one else is important but her. She never, ever says anything about reviving Veronica. She doesn't care about Veronica. It's her, only her, she is all that matters to her.

But in DSC, we have all this "awaken Veronica" from Alfred, "I can feel Veronica flowing through my cells" from Alexia, and it all just seems retarded. They're completely changing her character and what I liked about her most.

Comment

Yeah, the scene of her awakening in CVX has to be one of my favorite of any Resident Evil game. Just plain EPIC. Great music and camera work. Honestly, I feel that's where Alexia peaked in the game. They had done such a great job of hyping her as this enigma, till they pull the fake out with Alfred playing make-believe dressing up as her, making you THINK she wasn't real, until the plot gives you yet another punch to the gut and reveals she is indeed, alive. Capcom had the makings of an epic villian, but they really screwed the pooch when it came to Alexia's execution. Compared to Alfred, she just seemed so bland(in the game, because as you have mentioned, the backstory version of her is far more interesting). Spitting out nursery rhymes isn't exactly the best way to excel a villian. "Said the spider to the fly, how do you wish to die!" *Insert campy villian laugh here*

Of course, Wesker too, was pretty campy in there, along with Chris. However, CVX has a soft spot in my heart simply because it was the first RE I played myself, and what got me into the serious. It'll be interesting to see if they at least give Alexia some real dialogue post waking up in that damn tube.
          sigpic

Comment

I wish they would have used Joe Whyte (I think that was his name) for RE5 since they were thinking of using the remake wesker (Peter Jessop). I really liked the remake Chris's voice, it was very natural. Anyone know who's voicing Chris in DSC?
            "One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate... and thus defy the tyrannous stars."
            Resident Evil/Castlevania/ Silent Hill/Onimusha/Tekken /Dark Souls

Comment

Originally posted by valentinesdead? View Post
              Yeah, the scene of her awakening in CVX has to be one of my favorite of any Resident Evil game. Just plain EPIC. Great music and camera work. Honestly, I feel that's where Alexia peaked in the game. They had done such a great job of hyping her as this enigma, till they pull the fake out with Alfred playing make-believe dressing up as her, making you THINK she wasn't real, until the plot gives you yet another punch to the gut and reveals she is indeed, alive. Capcom had the makings of an epic villian, but they really screwed the pooch when it came to Alexia's execution. Compared to Alfred, she just seemed so bland(in the game, because as you have mentioned, the backstory version of her is far more interesting). Spitting out nursery rhymes isn't exactly the best way to excel a villian. "Said the spider to the fly, how do you wish to die!" *Insert campy villian laugh here*

Of course, Wesker too, was pretty campy in there, along with Chris. However, CVX has a soft spot in my heart simply because it was the first RE I played myself, and what got me into the serious. It'll be interesting to see if they at least give Alexia some real dialogue post waking up in that damn tube.
              I'll agree with you about the nursery rhyme line(s), but a lot of that game's lines (from most characters) were campy. Regardless, I still find Alexia to be the most intimidating villain in the series. Sure, Wesker's intimidating and all, but even with that virus in him there's nothing that's creepy about him; he's still just a man (and don't get me started on his bullshit RE5 mutation). But Alexia was just freaky. I remember the first time I saw her walk down the stairs in that main hall, damn near naked, with that green stuff all over her. Epic. She reminded me of what a female tyrant (thinking the one from Remake here) would be like, but more humanized.

But honestly, she wouldn't have been as creepy if the story hadn't built her up with the sad-yet-psychotic music box theme and the video of her and her brother pulling the wings off that dragonfly. The ant twist was awesome, and the whole thing about her thinking of herself being the queen ant while everyone else would be soldiers following the hive mindset was great. I kind of wish they hadn't killed her off, but I realize that they had to or the game wouldn't have felt complete.
              Mass production? Ridiculous!

Comment

That's how I think of Alexia though. I judge her character through her writings, not the stupid, seconds long appearances in the game. Only her first transformation and her awakening are the cutscenes worth noting, and they're only two in the entire game. Her writings tell a completely different story though and that's what I like most, it's a shame we didn't get to see more.

If you take away the stupid cutscenes, I'd put a safe bet on that other than Alfred, Alexia was the most psychotic, crazed villain in the entire series. She exalted herself above the world. She wanted the entire world to be infected, she had her plans set in motion almost a decade before Wesker decided to do near enough exactly the same thing. She was delusional, psychotic and she had little to no capability to care about anyone or anything other than herself. On top of that, she was genius. So intelligent to the point where it is physically impossible to be more intelligent than her as she was genetically altered to maximise human potential for intelligence; making her incredibly dangerous. Also, as a mutant (I don't want to say B.O.W because her and Wesker weren't B.O.Ws, they were simply results of a virus-induced mutation) she is arguably the most superior in the series. She has a decent level of strength. Depending on which version is canon, she can either send Wesker flying into a door and stumble in awe of her power, or knock him into the air with a flick of the wrist, and dominate him in a fight. Most importantly, she retains her mind. She was infected when she came out of her tube but she was still able to stay in her human state, talk, and think. She could transform at will as well. It was never stated if she could turn back or not, although it's hinted at, given she transforms all the way back in GS2: CV, and at the final battle in CV, when she first arrives on the platform, she is in a semi state of transformation. Her skin is grey, but other than that, there are no visible mutations on her body whatsoever and she has to be given a minute to get back into her first form, in which time Chris and Claire prepare the Linear Launcher. If only she didn't have to, she'd still be alive and we'd all be her little ant slaves. =(

She had as much of a sadistic mind as Alfred, if not worse. It was her idea to inject a lethal virus into her own father. Given what we've seen what Alfred's capable of in his torture chamber, I dread to think what Alexia would do if she had her own torture chamber. We've seen what she does to dragonflies and how she has absolutely no respect for human life whatsoever. Pulling prisoner's limbs off one by one, perhaps?
                Last edited by Alexia_Ashford; 08-31-2009, 05:12 PM.

Comment

The interesting thing is, Alexia was born with such a mindset wasn't she? Sure they were testube children, but it always interested me how Alexia just seemed to know everything.(Which drove William to insanity, creating another interesting event.) Scientific intelligence and emotional reading both, she seemed to know everything about people and the workings of the world. When she first walked down those stairs and transformed, the game really made you feel that she was right about herself. That she was a queen and you were going to DIE against her.

I can only hope DSC gives us the same feel. (In the newest trailer, I did get a bit choked up though with Steve and Annette's parts...so Capcom is doing the job so far with similar reactions.)

Comment

Yeah, cos that's how she was created. Alexander extracted Veronica Ashford's intelligence gene, isolated it, and manipulated it so the human potential for intelligence was maximised. She was genetically altered to be a genius. He implanted that into a fertilized egg from his own sperm and a surrogate mother. That's why she was so intelligent and knew everything, even from such a young age and shot up in the rankings of Umbrella, and had made the T-Veronica virus and put herself into a cryogenic sleep, all by the time she was only 12 years old. I doubt she was born a psychopath but we don't really know what her and Alfred went through as children. I'd imagine they were very sheltered from Alexander and recieved no parental love from anyone at all. Alexia would have been fascinated with learning and studies because she was so intelligent, but of course this would have isolated her from other children her age because she would have been thinking on an entirely different playing field. They'd have both led very isolated lives and living in their own little world. That's probably why Alfred took it so hard when Alexia was gone and suddenly, for the first time in his life, he was alone. She was all he knew.

Comment

• Originally posted by Det. Beauregard View Post
                      Sure, Wesker's intimidating and all, but even with that virus in him there's nothing that's creepy about him; he's still just a man (and don't get me started on his bullshit RE5 mutation). But Alexia was just freaky. I remember the first time I saw her walk down the stairs in that main hall, damn near naked, with that green stuff all over her. Epic. She reminded me of what a female tyrant (thinking the one from Remake here) would be like, but more humanized.

But honestly, she wouldn't have been as creepy if the story hadn't built her up with the sad-yet-psychotic music box theme and the video of her and her brother pulling the wings off that dragonfly.

Yeah, creepy indeed.

Alexia never did remind me of a tyrant, but rather Medusa come to life!

That's how I think of Alexia though. I judge her character through her writings, not the stupid, seconds long appearances in the game. Only her first transformation and her awakening are the cutscenes worth noting, and they're only two in the entire game. Her writings tell a completely different story though and that's what I like most, it's a shame we didn't get to see more.

That's really one of the best charms about Resident Evil. The story isn't always executed the best, but yet, it is a fictional world filled with depth and substance that makes it very fun to examine and poke theories at. Not to mention great, colorful characters abound. Not to mention the core idea is a simple, yet interesting plot driver.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by valentinesdead?; 08-31-2009, 05:21 PM.
                      sigpic

Comment

• Yeah, I completely agree. To all the other fans who don't like in depth analysis of character motives, think of it this way. She's the only female in Resident Evil to get all her kit off and she walks around in the nuddy! Woo! (Doesn't do anything for me personally, though, I share her enjoyment of being naked. It's so... liberating).
                        Last edited by Alexia_Ashford; 08-31-2009, 05:25 PM.

Comment

• Yeah, I completely agree. To all the other fans who don't like in depth analysis of character motives, think of it this way. She's the only female in Resident Evil to get all her kit off and she walks around in the nuddy! Woo! (Doesn't do anything for me personally, though, I share her enjoyment of being naked. It's so... liberating).
                          You get more appealing with every post.

Comment

• Originally posted by jagger916 View Post
                            You get more appealing with every post.

I must say though, it does frustrate me how it seems the CVX part of this game has been given no thought whatsoever. RE2 is fine. CVX, everyone's motives have changed. Everything's changed. Courtesy of News Bot, the exact time of Alexander's death is pinned as March 1982. He can NOT be alive, under any circumstances, in 1983. And Alexia didn't give a f*** about Veronica, other than respect because she was the family's matriarch.

Comment

• Originally posted by Alexia_Ashford View Post
                              Also, as a mutant (I don't want to say B.O.W because her and Wesker weren't B.O.Ws, they were simply results of a virus-induced mutation) she is arguably the most superior in the series. She has a decent level of strength. Depending on which version is canon, she can either send Wesker flying into a door and stumble in awe of her power, or knock him into the air with a flick of the wrist, and dominate him in a fight.

She had as much of a sadistic mind as Alfred, if not worse. It was her idea to inject a lethal virus into her own father. Given what we've seen what Alfred's capable of in his torture chamber, I dread to think what Alexia would do if she had her own torture chamber. We've seen what she does to dragonflies and how she has absolutely no respect for human life whatsoever. Pulling prisoner's limbs off one by one, perhaps?
                              Whether or not Alexia did dominate Wesker, 6 magnum bullets by Chris begs to disagree! (You couldn't even hit Wesker in RE5 unless he was distracted)

Yeah, I completely agree. To all the other fans who don't like in depth analysis of character motives, think of it this way. She's the only female in Resident Evil to get all her kit off and she walks around in the nuddy! Woo! (Doesn't do anything for me personally, though, I share her enjoyment of being naked. It's so... liberating).
                              Alexia GONE WILD!!!!
                              sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Alexia_Ashford View Post

I must say though, it does frustrate me how it seems the CVX part of this game has been given no thought whatsoever. RE2 is fine. CVX, everyone's motives have changed. Everything's changed.

As I've mentioned before in this thread, Annette and Sherry's characters have possibly been altered as well. Annette seems way more sane than she has the right to be, and Sherry not concerned about her parents? I'm mistified Capcom.

(Though its funny to notice Annette must still shoot Leon judging by the trailer)
                                Last edited by valentinesdead?; 08-31-2009, 05:48 PM.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X