Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Favourite Resident Evil Character (No Jill drama)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by GuardhouseMusic View Post
    -
    valentinesdead?, your counter arguments are irrelevant and unnecessary, but if you want to get pedantic about the word monster
    then here you go
    . I don't need to explain how a couple of those definitions apply to majini. Beauregard posted an opinion regarding the gameplay, not whether the enemies fit within the context of the narrative.
    You know, I think the part of your post concerning me was irrelevant and unnecessary. I was simply sharing my thoughts about the guns used in the later half of the game, which are different thoughts than what Beauregard posted. I see no where in my post where I was asking him to explain himself or anything. But, I was talking about both story and the gameplay. It is the logical step up from the villager's in RE4. Is that really a surprise? Or any kind of stretch? And yes, technically they are monsters, decaying people with nasty little parasites that pop open their host heads, but I was talking about monsters in the "horror" sense, or the "survival horror" moniker RE so well loves to use.

I don't see how Ganados or Majini fall into this category. They're excuses to shoot human like things. There is nothing really scary or frightening about them. But they sure are fun to shoot. That's why I quoted Beauregard in the first place, because he claimed those specific sections were it was so far removed from survival horror, but really RE4 pretty much did away with that. RE5 is considered more of an action game than even RE4 to begin with. I thought that RE4 in itself was so "far removed from classic Resident Evil." So what does adding enemies able to wield guns change it anymore than RE4 did. It's more of an evolution. Maybe its heartbreaking for people who don't play shooters much, but, I certainly didn't find anything wrong with it. I very much enjoy those parts the best out of all the entire game. It's a slower, more methodical cover shooting gameplay, but it works well. I figured it would have happaned sooner because it just makes sense in both narrative and gameplay perspective. Those things tend to go hand and hand.

Now, having said that, if Capcom had lived up to their intial trailers which showed you swarmed by so many enemies on screen at one time(instead of just the first chapter), it might be another story. But we didn't get that, unfortuantely.

Originally posted by REmaster View Post
    Yea, an old war-torn Barry would be cool...

AWESOME! That pick is better than Max Payne 3 has any chance of being!

Originally posted by Darkmoon View Post
    Well, honestly, I don't think we should have been fighting Ganados...but it made sense in the context of the game. Let's face it...why would some one in Africa use a crossbow? There are enough guns on the continent to sink a ship simply by taking all the barrels from the guns and loading them onto a vessel. It would have been a mistake to have crossbows.

Although, as I said, I reckon at that point in the game doing away with the Majini completely wouldn't have hurt things. Zombies with Crimson Heads in them would have been better, maybe. Or maybe just different. Either way, I think it could have worked once they moved out of they moved away from the more wide open areas and into the narrower buildings and the ship.
    Yes, that was my point. Though, that's a very nice suggestion. It would have been pretty wicked to have to deal with "old friends" like vicious, raging crimsion heads in the ship. It kinda sucks also there was suppose to be a tyrant in the beta images of the game. Hell, with RE5 being the conclusion of the Umbrella arch, you'd figure they would have done "one for the road." But instead, they chose Lickers for some reason. Very big lickers mind you, but still just that, lickers. . .Crimsion heads in the ship would have added even more enemy variety, and make that section stick out more. Hell, as REmaster mentioned, hunters would have been nice too.
    Last edited by valentinesdead?; 09-08-2009, 08:04 PM.
    sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by valentinesdead? View Post
      You know, I think the part of your post concerning me was irrelevant and unnecessary.
      Wow. Slammed.

I don't see how Ganados or Majini fall into this category. They're excuses to shoot human like things. There is nothing really scary or frightening about them. But they sure are fun to shoot. That's why I quoted Beauregard in the first place, because he claimed those specific sections were it was so far removed from survival horror, but really RE4 pretty much did away with that. RE5 is considered more of an action game than even RE4 to begin with. I thought that RE4 in itself was so "far removed from classic Resident Evil." So what does adding enemies able to wield guns change it anymore than RE4 did. It's more of an evolution.
      Exactly. But I guess some people think it is better when a dude runs at you with a hatchet, only to slow down to a gait right in front of you (the player). All the while your character is holding a magnum or a rocket launcher.
      Last edited by Jill's Boob; 09-08-2009, 08:04 PM.

Comment

• AWESOME! That pick is better than Max Payne 3 has any chance of being!
        I know this is off topic, but come on. You know almost nothing of the game, and yet you condemn it anyway.
        On topic: I'm surprised Jill and Al are neck and neck. I know jill has her fans, but I've thought of Wesker having a larger fanbase.

Comment

• Originally posted by BadWolfX View Post
          I agree, animals could of easily been included in Chapter 2-3. I mean, come on, you're driving through the Savannah and nobody at Capcom thought it would be cool to include animals in that? It would've improved the chapter entirely if that happened (and if they replaced Ndesu....)
          You're forgetting the psychotically homicidal chickens on Rooster Island. *shivers*

Comment

• Originally posted by jagger916 View Post
            I know this is off topic, but come on. You know almost nothing of the game, and yet you condemn it anyway.
            On topic: I'm surprised Jill and Al are neck and neck. I know jill has her fans, but I've thought of Wesker having a larger fanbase.

Well, I was. . .half-joking. But really, it's rather simple math. No Remedy, No Sam Lake, no original max payne VA = FAIL. True, the game might actually turn out to be quite decent, but I have a feeling from past experiences when an original creator or production company aren't invovled in their established properties, it usually means bad. . .very bad things(take Terminator franchise for example. James Cameron is God when it comes to Terminator). Rockstar may own the IP of Max Payne, but they surely don't own its soul. That's Remedy. And without them, i feel that matching the quality of the first two games narrative will be near impossible.

But, I guess well see.

And I'm not really surprised by the poll results. Jill and Wesker are just too "kewl" for school, ya know?
            Last edited by valentinesdead?; 09-08-2009, 08:28 PM.
            sigpic

Comment

• We shall see....
              Am I the only one that actually likes his appearance?
              Last edited by jagger916; 09-08-2009, 08:34 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jill's Boob View Post
                Dude, c'mon already. RE4 broke the mold for anything being "the farthest thing from a Resident Evil game." I know you're a reasonable person, so stop acting like RE5 shit the bed on all the things that have come to represent the RE experience. RE4 raped those things years ago.

But just because you like 4 more than 5 doesn't give it a free pass. Enemies shooting at you in RE5 (the last 6th of the game, or 16%...far from the last THIRD) hardly were the back breaker that you are implying.

How many times do people have to say: It's logical for automatic weapons to be a natural progression of enemies. If Las Plagas allows retained sentience (enough to be controlled), then in a WAR TORN country like Africa, citizens would have goddamn automatic weapons.

How can that be any more of a leap of logic than robed Spaniards wearing cow skulls as masks - in a centuries old stone castle - using floor mounted gatling guns to shoot at Leon?

Jesus Christ some people are obtuse.
                I am not obtuse. I like to think of myself as equilateral.

Yes, I do prefer 4 to 5. And to be honest, both games severely raped the RE we knew and loved, and both clearly defied all areas of the natural sciences. It's simply my opinion that RE4 had a more "Resident Evily" vibe than RE5 did. RE4 was darker, the environments were creepier, you were by yourself (or with someone who was defenseless), and in general, the game had a B-movie cheesiness about it that was similar to the original RE. It's just my opinion that RE5 had the least amount of "classic Resident Evil vibe" due to the Majini with guns, as well as the ones riding motorcycles (forgot about that one earlier). Add in the overall sunny environments of the game, as well as the serious tone (as much as Leon's one-liners in RE4 were over-the-top, Chris didn't have to be so damn serious) and you've got the farthest canon thing from the RE universe that I've ever seen.

What I meant by the guns comment was that while RE4 raped the overall RE vibe with crossbow-wielding Spaniards and big "I just got outta prison" chaingun men, RE5 double-raped it in the later stages with "normal" enemies packing AK-47's around every corner. Can you seriously tell me that when those guys first appeared you didn't feel like you were stuck in a typical shooter? And don't even get me started on the Savannah chapter; at least RE4 didn't have any of that garbage in it.

Once again, just my opinion. Most of RE4 was very fun to me. A good amount of RE5 simply felt like a chore.
                Mass production? Ridiculous!

Comment

• I'd say that RE4 is more of a chore to play at times than RE5 is. The Castle sections just drags on and on and on and it's the same two objectives repeated. Sure, RE5 is short but it's fast-paced enough that you never feel you're in one place long enough for it to feel like a chore.

But I just don't really like RE4 past the Village and I love RE5 so I am going to think that.

Comment

• Originally posted by BadWolfX View Post
                    I just don't really like RE4 past the Village and I love RE5 so I am going to think that.
                    I will agree with you that the village in RE4 is the most interesting section.
                    Mass production? Ridiculous!

Comment

• Well I think that most of us can agree that RE6 is going to have to bring something fresh to the table. Apart from reasons others stated about RE4 not having much to do with the classics, I really enjoyed the game. Although I wasn't a big fan of the plot or Leon, the story flowed very smoothly and the controls were new and interesting. RE4 had the new formula going for it and RE5 basically ripped the same style and had super villian Wesker going for it. I really wanted to like 5 more than 4 but the flow of the story just didn't sit well with me...possibly because I had such high hopes that it was nearly impossible for myself and many others to be satisfied. I do think it was a great game, just not much replay value in my opinion. So, that leaves RE6. Alot of people are already tired of the over the shoulder cam, as well as the ever growing abscence of classic RE qualities ( typewriter, inventory screen, item boxes, zombies ). To me it seems like RE is getting more off topic than this thread
                      Last edited by REmaster; 09-08-2009, 11:01 PM.
                      "One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate... and thus defy the tyrannous stars."
                      Resident Evil/Castlevania/ Silent Hill/Onimusha/Tekken /Dark Souls

Comment

• Somewhere up above I stated that RE5 only had gun-toting enemies in the last 16% of the game (me thinking that they were only in Chapter 6), but having gone back and played the story mode for a bit tonight (instead of doing homework, d'oh!) I now see that they started popping up in Chapter 5. So whomever stated that it's the last third of the game is correct, and I was wrong.

Still, I feel that the appearance of the machine gun majini was a logical progression of the RE5 experience concerning opponents, much like I feel realism was strived for in the progression of locations and time (daylight, dusk, night, dawn, daylight, etc).

As for what REmaster just said, I too feel like RE4 was a more fun experience. The first time I played through it, I just had so much fun. The gameplay was fresh and new, and there were a TON of enemies to kill. However, I fucking loathe Leon's characterization, and way too MANY times something egregiously unrealistic occurs; well, those things ruined subsequent playthroughs. RE5, on the other hand, is still almost as fun, but the pacing is scattershot at best. Some levels I like, some I don't. I happen to enjoy the later levels with the gun majini, since the gamestyle of RE4 and RE5 on the whole is not designed for melee wielding enemies. How fun is it to always stand there and empty a clip into a group of villagers waltzing up to you (very slowly), like happens in RE4 pretty much for the entire game?

RE5 is still MUCH better in the department of characters, story, semi-realism, and enemy variety. RE4 is probably better in overall fun factor, and pacing (though the game gets very, very repetitive in later levels...almost as if shit was tacked on just to extend the length).

And finally @Beauregard: RE5's Savannah chapter was much like something else that has occurred before - Leon riding around in the back of a truck in RE4, or the part where he's riding around in a mine cart like Indiana fucking Jones. Dude, you are making it too easy for me.

All of your complaints for RE5 are like the South Park episode where Butters keeps getting told "Simpsons did it!" All the dumb things (in your mind) for RE5 have also been displayed in RE4.
                        Last edited by Jill's Boob; 09-09-2009, 12:57 AM.

Comment

• [QUOTE=Det. Beauregard;124530]It's just my opinion that RE5 had the least amount of "classic Resident Evil vibe" due to the Majini with guns, as well as the ones riding motorcycles (forgot about that one earlier). Add in the overall sunny environments of the game, as well as the serious tone (as much as Leon's one-liners in RE4 were over-the-top, Chris didn't have to be so damn serious) and you've got the farthest canon thing from the RE universe that I've ever seen.[QUOTE]

How is being "so damn serious" the furtherest thing from Resident Evil Cannon? Um, REmake was pretty damn serious. Hell, REmake is like the creators version of "if Resident Evil was actually real." The voice acting in that game is sublime. There's no real cheesy lines with the exception of a couple(You would've fit nicely into a sandwich!), and Chris, Jill, Barry, and Wesker are all pretty damn serious about the situation. Wesker in paticular lacks the dramatic villian voice that Richard Waugh and the now DC Douglass manage to infuse into Wesker. Not that that's a negative--cause that's actually particularly cool in fact(even though DC Douglass IS Wesker now).

I'd even say the classic games take themselves pretty seriously too. Code Veronica on the other hand, while has one hell of a story, it really doesn't come off so well as it has aged throughout the years. But by comparison to the old games, RE4's a fucking sitcom. A very well voiced and constructed sitcom, mind you, but all it was missing was canned laughter.

Where's everyone going? Bingo?

Ah, I see the president has equipped his daughter with balistics too.

Aye Aye Aye, crawl out of one hole, and into another

You got a smoke?. . .

. . .*wait for it*. . .

. . .got gum.

Ashley!!

RE5 double-raped it in the later stages with "normal" enemies packing AK-47's around every corner. Can you seriously tell me that when those guys first appeared you didn't feel like you were stuck in a typical shooter? And don't even get me started on the Savannah chapter; at least RE4 didn't have any of that garbage in it.

Yep. I can tell you with an absolute sober and straight face that I didn't feel like I was somehow stuck in a "typical shooter." I really liked it in fact. RE4/RE5 system really have a satisfying combat system overall. Adding guns to the enemies didn't change it. Just made it better(in my opinion I guess). I wish it had happaned sooner honestly. Though, keep in mind, me and my partner nemesiswontdie didn't play RE5 on normal the first playthrough. We played on veteran, and boy, talk about a classic RE challange. It was a bitch at times, but we didn't farm levels or anything like that either. On a clean veteran game, RE5 is actually pretty darn close to the survival aspect of "survival horror", but I certainly won't argue anything about RE5 and horror going together.

But I do indeed agree with you about the Savannah Chapter. . .kinda. I actually don't mind the Majini motorbike part. It's a nice little segement, but what COMPLETELY through me out the game was the Ndeus section. That was complete and utter BULLSHIT. We fight 4 frigign El Gigantes in RE4 on foot, with regualr weapons. Those were a fun boss battle variation, and yet, Capcom made that section a shitty turrent section. Now THAT pissed me off.

Originally posted by Jill's Boob View Post
                          How fun is it to always stand there and empty a clip into a group of villagers waltzing up to you (very slowly), like happens in RE4 pretty much for the entire game?

RE5 is still MUCH better in the department of characters, story, semi-realism, and enemy variety. RE4 is probably better in overall fun factor, and pacing (though the game gets very, very repetitive in later levels...almost as if shit was tacked on just to extend the length).

Well... I gotta admit, shooting Ganados and unarmed Majini is pretty fun actually. . .espescially in RE4, where with Ganados last breath, they utter the word of their lord and savior. . .Lord Saddler

But as far as RE4 and RE5 go, I suppose I'll say it again. I appericate RE4's silky smooth gameplay(even *enjoy* it's well-voice acted cutscenes for there hilariously entertaining dialouge), and apperciate RE5 more for how it's the ultimate conclusion to the previous RE games. It's a true, epic end. Some people who complain about the scale of RE5 aren't looking at the bigger picture. RE1-RE5 are an escalation of combining crisises that build off one another. First there's a just a dusty old mansion with a hidden lab, then a entire city decimated with the T-virus, and with RE5, the danger of world eradication. Chris, Jill, and Wesker too, share that same quality of "escalation" throughout the series as that triangle's story unfolds.

But anyways, just food for thought I'm throwing out there.
                          Last edited by valentinesdead?; 09-09-2009, 05:44 AM.
                          sigpic

Comment

• William Birkin. I may explain alter but for now, enjoy this awesome vid of him.
                            Tribute to the best scientist, William Birkin.Used clips from: Resident Evil 2, Resident Evil 0 and Resident Evil Outbreak 1

Comment

• I voted for Ada myself. She has the total package. Smarts, skill and toughness. In my personal opinion, I think she would be able to take down anyone in the RE universe with little effort. Of course just about anyone can but she does it with style. Leon would come in a close second.

The whole thing with Leon though (most people don't like about him anyway), is that I think out of all the characters, his has progressed the best with respect to his emotions and attitude, or lack thereof. If you put yourself in his position as a rookie officer dealing with insurmountable odds and a disaster of epic proportions, then as a government agent with a few more years of spec ops training, you see his emotions and attitude change because he has in fact been there and done that. It's only natural for someones mindset to change after experiencing something again and again.

I just figured I would throw my two cents in on that subject after giving my vote on topic.

Comment

• Leon by a mile for me.
                                His wise-cracking badass performance in RE4 was brilliant.

Degeneration Leon was all wrong. They stripped his sense of humor and made him an almost entirely emotionless agent. Had they put the same goofy Leon from RE4 into Degeneration it would have been a far more entertaining movie.

Comment

Working...
                                X