Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone else go back to the classics from time to time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i did a speed run of RE2 a few weeks ago and plan to finish a lets play of RE2 if i can ever get the game running with fraps. but yeah i think the old school ones are the better ones and the music is 2 times better than RE5.

Comment

Originally posted by riderkid View Post
      and the music is 2 times better than RE5.
      Only 2 times?

RE2 has the most haunting soundtrack, I love playing the CD in my dark house late at night, its crazy.

Comment

Originally posted by Daargoth View Post
        I've been meaning to get back into re3 cause I played the heck out of re1 and 2. lol, re3 is not my strong point puzzle wise.
        I think RE3 is quite easy puzzle wise. The only ones which can be a bit annoying are the water treatment puzzle at the end and that one where you have to put the coloured jewels in the pictures in the clock tower. I am gonna play it again this weekend. I had a speed run of RE2 last weekend. RE3 generally takes longer though. RE2 takes about 1.5 hours, RE3 2.5 hours.

RE1, 2 and 3 are relatively easy for me to get through now, but I very rarely replay CV. I've probably only played that about 5 times. I have NEVER completed Zero (I hate the game), and completed REmake only a few times. It's all about the classics for me.

I've played RE4 10+ times though.
        Last edited by Alexia_Ashford; 06-26-2010, 03:47 AM.

Comment

I've play through REmake and Original the most, and I've played through 2 a fair few times. I've never actually completed RE3. I tried to play it again recently but I just can't take out Nemesis! He grabs me and does that weird tentacle thing and I'm dead. I know you have to mash a certain button to break free but I can't work out what button it is? Anyone know? I'm talking gamecube version.

Comment

Yeah, it's always great to dive back into the classics and play-through them. I usually forget certain puzzles and other things, since I usually take a while before I play them again; but it's always good to force yourself to brainstorm. I never go online for guides, either, lol.

I've been meaning to play more Resident Evil 0, Code Veronica, and Nemesis. I'm thinking of doing that tonight.

Edit: I'm guessing the best thing to mash is the directional pad. It's what I always did, though I only played it on the PS.
            Last edited by Wesker_101; 06-27-2010, 03:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexia_Ashford View Post
              I think RE3 is quite easy puzzle wise. The only ones which can be a bit annoying are the water treatment puzzle at the end and that one where you have to put the coloured jewels in the pictures in the clock tower. I am gonna play it again this weekend. I had a speed run of RE2 last weekend. RE3 generally takes longer though. RE2 takes about 1.5 hours, RE3 2.5 hours.
              Lots of people always say RE3 is the easier one but I'm constantly killed by Nemesis or Gravedigger whenever I play it. I think Jill is very weak in this game, I've always thought it was just me but I really think RE3 is not an easy game and I definitely can't finish without saving it a few times.

I love the RE3 puzzles though. The water treatment sample is so much fun!
              http://www.residentevildatabase.com
              Follow us on Twitter: @residentevildb

Comment

I liked Jill's tackle in Nemesis, though. It allowed you to avoid unnecessary damage from zombies. However, She does take hella damage in that game.

Comment

I don't play the older games that often anymore.

RE1 - Too dated to fully enjoy so rarely played.
                  RE2 - Same as RE1.
                  RE3 - Still good though I've beat this game probably 100 times+ between all the versions I own.
                  CV - I never liked the gameplay of this, clunky and dull. Nothing alternative about repeated playthroughs either. Not played it for many years and have no desire to.
                  REmake - Still great but I barely use my Wii so it goes unplayed for long periods, I find wired GC controller annoying also.
                  RE0 - Same as REmake, though has dull moments.
                  RE4 - Never liked, will never play this again.
                  RE5 - Still play it often.
                  Beanovsky Durst - "They are not pervs. They are japanese."

Comment

Originally posted by Red Queen View Post
                    Lots of people always say RE3 is the easier one but I'm constantly killed by Nemesis or Gravedigger whenever I play it. I think Jill is very weak in this game, I've always thought it was just me but I really think RE3 is not an easy game and I definitely can't finish without saving it a few times.

I love the RE3 puzzles though. The water treatment sample is so much fun!
                    It's generally just a longer game. I can beat it with no saves without a problem (and on hard mode), but it just takes longer because it's a longer game generally, with more to do. Nemesis is easy but Gravedigger can be a problem if you don't have a lot of health items. I have died at that part before when I hadn't saved.

Thought I might as well do a list like KylieDog did;

RE0 - Hate it. Never play it. Never even got right to the end of the first playthrough it was so terribad, and will never touch it again.
                    RE1 - Still play fairly often (the DS port), once every 2-4 months roughly.
                    RE2 - Still play fairly often (GC port, PS1/PSN port too degraded to enjoy) but the GC port is played very often. I imagine probably about once a month.
                    RE3 - Play often (GC port, again PS1/PSN port too degraded), probably once every 1-3 months.
                    RE4 - Play relatively often, probably once every 6 months.
                    RE5 - Played it once, it was alright, played it again for achievements and that's it. Never had an urge to play it since, gets dull very quickly.
                    REmake - Don't play it often but I do like the game. This one I'd say once every 2-3 years.
                    CV - Love the setting/characters but controls too much of a ballache to play regularly. Once every 1-2 years for this one.

As you can see, with me, the originals are still by far the most played RE games for me.
                    Last edited by Alexia_Ashford; 06-28-2010, 10:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MeanBob
                      I don't know how you guys do it, but I found it really hard to get through
                      Oh no, it's ok. You can finish RE1 and RE2 quite quickly in comparison to the other RE games.

I'd like to do my list also^^

RE1 : I play it very often, but it's certainly dated.
                      RE2: Not my favourite, but it's the one I played the most because it's the easiest to get through and you can finish it quickly.
                      RE3: Never played it much. Not that I don't like it, but I don't find it very entertaining.
                      RECV : Played it much for its story, its music and overall atmosphere that game has, but the gameplay is certainly weak and the game is gettin' old for sure.
                      REmake : I don't play it very often. I don't like the style and it's too different from the original.
                      REzero : I never liked it. I don't even own it anymore.
                      RE4 : I play it fairly often because it's quite entertaining.
                      RE5 : I play it often but for wrong reasons :I don't like the game very much, I certainly prefer RE4, but I play it because sometimes I just want to talk with some friends on X-box live and since I don't own a lot of games on 360, I choose RE5
                      Last edited by Grem; 06-28-2010, 11:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Grem View Post
                        Oh no, it's ok.
                        Really? Man...might as well try it again lol. I've had RE: Director's Cut for so many years and still haven't beaten, besides RE: 0.

Originally posted by Grem
                        I'd like to do my list also^^
                        Might as well do mine as well!

RE1 :Least played one since it's difficult for me :/
                        RE2: My most favorite one! Was introduced to RE through this one by my brother. Really replayable for me since the A-B and B-A playthroughs and also the extra modes to unlock. Love the atmosphere!
                        RE3: The least replayed one for me for whatever reason. I liked it a lot! Maybe because I was always afraid of gettin bumrushed by Nemesis all the time. Recently beat it so it must've relieved me and found it not as scary lol. What I did like more about his one thought is that you get to see more of the city happenings even though they already happened :/. (RE: Outbreak sorta did that, but woulda liked to see more.)
                        RECV : I liked this one a lot. Originally had it on Dreamcast, but never beat it til I got it for PS2 (after my brother got rid of the Dreamcast along with all the games). Atmosphere was definitely there, loved the story, but it was also a bit difficult.
                        REmake : Absolutely loved it! Even though I never beat the original, it was cool to see old rooms "revised" and actually look creepier. It really makes you appreciate the classic more this way. Plus, it was hella scary!
                        REzero : Liked it a lot, still own it, but never beat it. Got like halfway...
                        RE4 : I play it every now and then. Around the time I got it, it was definitely replayable and had gone through it multiple times. Although, I was disappointed, expecting something scary a lot, but only 2 things freaked me out: Regenerators and "Fridge Man". Still good nontheless, but wasn't fully RE to me.
                        RE5 : I don't like this one very much. Lost all of RE's scariness and straight up action. It followed RE4's gameplay mechanic and didn't do anything different :/. I only beat the game twice (once on 360, the other on PS3). It's weird, I had a feeling that it wouldn't even be too good after seeing trailers, preview from sites and magazines and such. I only really played it for the story and even that was disapointing.

Comment

Are we doing lists? I love lists!

RE1: Replay all the time, both on DS and the US Director's Cut Dual Shock version from PSN. Love it.
                          RE2: Replay Leon A several times a year. Probably my favourite of the PSX generation games.
                          RE3: I replay this one every couple of years. Both RE1 and 2 felt like a good mix of action and adventure, this one always feels a bit too action heavy to me.
                          REC:V/C:Vx: I hate this game. Played through it a few times, hoping that each time I try, I might somehow just "get it", or some imaginary light bulb in my head will suddenly turn on, but it never happens and I find myself disliking it more with each try. It's also the point where the series' story started to spiral downward and I began to slowly ignore. In regards to gameplay, I find this one of the worst offenders of backtracking, with the game ending up way more adventure heavy than the previous three titles.
                          REmake: I try to play this one often, but only make it through the game every few years. As much as I love REmake (and I do, it's in my top three of the series), I often find the task of playing it daunting, and try to put it off. REmake is about as oppresive a world as you can get in a video game, and throwing yourself into that for several hours at a time really isn't something I can do often (See Silent Hill, Condemned, Siren and Demon's Souls for the same effect.)
                          RE0: I really dislike Zero, and it's probably my least played main series entry. While not as bad as C:V, I still think it's pretty awful, especially after REmake. Terrible story and annoying zapping mechanics. Item management also became a huge annoyance. Who knew I'd miss the item boxes after they were gone.
                          RE4: I usually end up playing RE4 two or three times in a row, then don't touch it for about two years. It means every few years I pick it up, whore out and then I'm done for another couple of years.
                          RE5: Only released last year, but I've played the main campaign countless times on both 360 and PC. Fantastic gameplay, what else can I say.

Special mention to the Outbreak games and both Chronicles titles which I try to run through every now and again in small chunks.

Comment

Lists are good.

RE1 - Played this about 10 times? Mainly on DS though because my brothers sold is PS2 which I played the original on. I do enjoy this one, prefer REmake, however.

RE2 - Played probably twice through on every story. I got this again for gamecube recently so I'm playing it again, I like it a lot more this time round, however.

RE3 - Currently playing for the first time. So far, it's okay. I really hate Nemesis. But it's nice going back to the RPD.

RE C:Vx - Another one I haven't played completely, got to the bit on the plane and then I didn't play it for a while (the back tracking pissed me off) and by the time I actually considered playing it again my brother had sold his PS2 so I have to buy it for Gamecube but it's pretty far down on my list of games to buy at the moment.

REmake - I love this game. Favourite in the series. Love the controls, love the characters and the graphics. I love visiting the old rooms done up with better graphics. I really like the Lisa Trevor storyline, by far my favourite part of Resident Evil. I've played this few at least 3 times with each characters since i got it a couple of christmases back and I plan on playing it again after RE2 and RE3.

RE0 - I like this one too, not as much as REmake and I can't play it nearly as much but it's still good fun. I like the puzzles and the train section. Can't say the same for the story but RE games never had that strong a story. The no magic boxes annoyed me a bit but I found it okay eventually.

RE4 - Played through it twice, enjoyed it. Probably will play through it again another time. I spent a while hating this game and refused to play it again but eventually I just accepted it and realised it was pretty fun if I just pretended it wasn't really and RE game.

RE5 - Same as four, liked that Jill was in it, it was pretty fun.

Comment

I tend to go through the classic titles around the winter/Christmas time; mostly around once a year when it comes to Resident Evil 1, 2, and 3. Code Veronica is hardly played. However I do tend to Play Remake and 4 in the summer also, so these titles are easily played twice in the year.

Resident Evil 5 is still fresh but I do enjoy playing it regular with a friend via LAN connection at his place when we are going through some of our enjoyed multiplayer titles on the 360. But I’ve definitely gone through the campaign many times no doubt. I’ve lost count. Like with what Wayne has said, I got to give a nod to Outbreak (mostly with the first title now due to no online play with file) and also the gun Survivor series.

Comment

I'm about to jump on Director's Cut right now lol. Any tips from you professionals?

Comment

Working...
                                X