• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Upaluppa View Post
    Here's how credible IGN is:
    Halo DS

Just to give an example...
    But it's not like they are the only game critics to give out false information, so no need to be extra harsh on them.

I don't think they would/could have faked these RE2 pictures tough.
    Especially not, since the debug info shown in these pics is conform with what we know about RE2's debug mode from the Trial Edition and Beta 2!

How would they have known which font to use and whatnot without having played/seen an actual debug build of the game?
    The halo ds was not fake at all. IGN is credible, i doubt IGN would of got as big as they are if they gave out fake infortmation... not sure why anyone even thought the pictures were fake in the first place?. Is it because we've never seen game play footage ( that i'm aware of ) with the debug info on the screen?. The chances of that build surfacing anywhere is probably about a 1 percent chance but i'm 99.9% sure it's legit.
    Last edited by Guest; 04-19-2011, 10:29 AM.

Comment

Could we stop talking Halo now? I can't stand this game...

Nobody (Or rather everyone in this thread but me ) said that Halo DS is fake...
      I should have made my statement clear, I guess.

I assumed the game to be non official software (not fake, there's video footage of the game in action!) until stumbling across some believable facts a few minutes ago, that's why I mentioned it in my previous post. So I thought IGN was giving out false info, treating the game as if it was already confirmed to be in full scale development which it was not.

Refer to this for some creditable info:
      Matt's Blog on Halo DS
      And this:
      Kotaku on Halo DS

The game must've been made by the same devs who created GoldenEye: Rogue Agent for the DS (which is a fine game, by the way) since it runs on an enhanced version of GoldenEye's engine...

Halo DS was never going to be a complete game tough.
      It was just a tech demo that never evolved into anything more than that.

I was tricked into thinking that the game was developed by some Indie developer (not that this would have been a bad thing) but a quick search through Google proved me wrong! I should have looked up some facts before hastily posting, I guess.

Everyone makes mistakes, let's forget about this...
      Besides, there's more interesting stuff to discuss in this thread than Halo DS!

Edit:
      Before I forget, IGN isn't that bad after all! (If you compare them to other similar sites around the net)
      Thumbs up to them for being one of the few game critics to not believe in that "Progeny Virus" story about Resident Evil 4 back then!
      Last edited by Upaluppa; 04-19-2011, 12:03 PM.

Comment

But where are these 2 videos? Does anyone here got them?

Especially not, since the debug info shown in these pics is conform with what we know about RE2's debug mode from the Trial Edition and Beta 2!
        I can write numbers on screens from retail version and then say "version with unknown debug features!"
        If it is not a fake - this version should have less diferences than our well know biohazard 2 beta because its later build.
        I don't know any info about IGN in 1998.

Comment

Originally posted by ANDYARKLAY View Post

I can write numbers on screens from retail version and then say "version with unknown debug features!"
          If it is not a fake - this version should have less diferences than our well know biohazard 2 beta because its later build.
          I don't know any info about IGN in 1998.
          The two BH2 Beta (Claire) videos are on IGN's website, but you have to be a paying member to download them...

Comment

There's a few seconds of footage in this youtube video:
            BioHazard 2 Beta version ?? compilation

Comment

Yup, those are the videos.... It's proof this build is real ! to bad we'll never ever get a leaked version. I don't really see to much difference besides the debugging on the screen... did anyone else notice anything different ?

Comment

Thx, Upaluppa

to bad we'll never ever get a leaked version
                Maybe somebody got it already. Its interesting but its even later than shared beta, i think it's almost final game.
                I want to see something else...something earlier than bh 2 trial

Comment

Thx, Upaluppa

Maybe somebody got it already. Its interesting but its even later than shared beta, i think it's almost final game.
                  I want to see something else...something earlier than bh 2 trial
                  It's later? What makes you think that? A lot of what I'm hearing suggests it's earlier...

Comment

Originally posted by geluda View Post
                    It's later? What makes you think that? A lot of what I'm hearing suggests it's earlier...
                    I think so too!
                    The fact that this build has debug options not available in "our" beta makes hints at the possibility that Beta 2 is a later build than the IGN one.

We should compare the date the executable of Beta 2 was assembled with the date these pictures were added to the IGN website! Assuming that the pics were uploaded not too long after they "acquired" that footage (I somehow doubt that they actually played this build) it might give us a rough guess on which build is older!

Edit:
                    IGN pictures: January 02, 1998
                    Beta 2 executable: October 31, 1997

Could we count that as proof to which one is older?
                    (I know, we have no clue how accurate IGN's picture date is to the day the game was assembled...)
                    Last edited by Upaluppa; 04-22-2011, 02:01 PM.

Comment

trial edition(1997-08-06)<shared beta(1997-10-31)<this build(i guess december 1997)<final build (Released 27 Jan 1998)

so i guess it was december 1997 build
                      it would be strange to receive this build in october 1997 and finish review in january 1998.

A lot of what I'm hearing suggests it's earlier..
                      ?

The fact that this build has debug options not available in "our" beta makes hints at the possibility that Beta 2 is a later build than the IGN one.
                      So you don't have a claire "beta 2" build to compare features and possibly it just "different build with different features".

Comment

So you don't have a claire "beta 2" build to compare features
                        Nobody I know of has any beta build with Claire's scenario.
                        Obviously all I got to compare these between two builds are the leaked "Beta 2" with Leon's scenario and IGN's footage of the other build which isn't exactly much.

What puzzles me is that IGN appears to be the only source of information about this beta on the entire net.

Doesn't it seem weird to you guys that none of the other game magazines/websites had any info on this?
                        IGN can't have been the only one out there to get a chance to play this build/obtain media of it from Capcom.
                        Usually preview discs and other media are given to numerous game critics all around the world, not just to one single media group.
                        Last edited by Upaluppa; 04-22-2011, 02:51 PM.

Comment

trial edition(1997-08-06)<shared beta(1997-10-31)<this build(i guess december 1997)<final build (Released 27 Jan 1998)

it would be strange to receive this build in october 1997 and finish review in january 1998.

?

So you don't have a claire "beta 2" build to compare features and possibly it just "different build with different features".
                          See my discussion with Alzaire earlier in thisd thread.

Will you please fix the link in your post? It's broken...

You have to think though, why would IGN need debugging features in a review build?
                          Last edited by Guest; 04-22-2011, 02:54 PM.

Comment

The quality of this 2 Videos is (160X120) I download in 1999 (for free).The original upload Data was July 29, 1998.-
                            Spoiler:

Comment

Originally posted by geluda View Post
                              You have to think though, why would IGN need debugging features in a review build?
                              Exactly!
                              I can understand the Room Jump/Weapon Mugen/No Death etc. options but displaying random memory addresses and the like on the screen during gameplay is distracting more than it helps.

It does not belong into a press review build of a game. Or at least it should have been turned off by default.
                              (I doubt IGN triggered this stuff willingly through the debug menu for the sake of taking these screenshots)
                              Originally posted by Biohazard 1995 View Post
                              The quality of this 2 Videos is (160X120) I download in 1999 (for free).The original upload Data was July 29, 1998.
                              I can't thank you enough for sharing all these things with us!
                              IGN decided it would be fun to restrict those video downloads to members only not too long ago.
                              Last edited by Upaluppa; 04-23-2011, 03:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Biohazard 1995 View Post
                                The quality of this 2 Videos is (160X120) I download in 1999 (for free).The original upload Data was July 29, 1998.-
                                Spoiler:
                                Wow, thanks!

Perhaps it's worth asking IGN? Is there any way to find out who was about back in those days?

Comment

Working...
                                X