No announcement yet.

Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Game's going to be considered as a what if scenario anyhow, given the situation what is going on. Glad the trailer has brought some further interest on people here, it's going to be a fun title to play with friends. Also it looks like the small snippet of the team together in the facility could be on Rockfort Island.

Comment

• Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City will "intersect" with the events of Capcom classic Resident Evil 2 without altering key plot points, according to Slant Six Games creative director Adam Boyd.

"The basic idea for this game is we're really attaching a group of characters to Resident Evil sort of 15 years after the fact," Boyd explained to a worried Mike Channell at a preview event.

"So what was really important was that they feel like Resident Evil characters, and because they're going to intersect with the events of the original outbreak, they're going to meet those original heroes and villains, we wanted them to feel like they belonged there, and like they were a natural part of the Resident Evil universe."
      OK...so you think that retconning in a character when we've already seen that character is never met will feel natural? I invite you to go, look up the average fanfiction where that happens, and see how fucking awful it is.

The new game puts players in charge of an Umbrella Corporation Secret Service unit, tasked with bumping off the survivors of a T-virus outbreak. Among the names on Umbrella's hit list is Leon Kennedy, star of the second and fourth numbered Resident Evil titles.

"We're not changing the Resident Evil canon, we're not changing the Resident Evil storyline," Boyd insisted.
      No, you really, really are. You play as Leon from when he enters the city until he leaves - I think I'd have noticed him being stalked by a whackjob blonde with a saw. News Bot can explain better than me all the many ways just having a fight between Umbrella and the US is wrong as well.

"We're trying to intersect with it, at those moments where maybe those characters weren't on screen, or like for instance in some of the games you play Claire [Redfield], and then you play Leon, so in a lot of cases, this is what happened to Leon while you were playing Claire.

"We're not trying to change the characters, more it's a fan service. You should run into them and go 'oh, that's where Leon was', or 'that's what happened here'.
      Or play the games and see? You'd think, even if this was true and you missed a chunk with Claire and Leon that they'd mention, 'By the way, Umbrella soldiers in wierd clothes are trying to kill us.'

"So this is an addition to the storyline, and there are some salacious details, some things that you didn't know happened that you'll find interesting, but we're not changing the storyline, we're working in with it.

"Capcom has retold the story of the outbreak a number of different times, and we're retelling it from a different point of view."
      I swear, this is reading like a terrible fanfiction authour's defence. 'Yeah, this is that bit you didn't see, between episodes 24 and 26 when they were missing, and really they were humping like bunnies that whole time not prisoners like they claimed.'

Confirmation, then, that Operation Raccoon City will not let you gun down Leon, despite Capcom's suggestions to that effect? We're a little stumped, to be honest.
      So...they cock tease I can kill the floppy haired one, and then take it away? Well, crap.

EDIT;
      Originally posted by Rosetta Mist View Post
      @Darkmoon - That's just it. I've never found any of the characters to be well written. Chris and Jill = typical MUST SAVE WORLD! Heroes. Leon falls into that bunch. Claire = baby sis gets involved, cast into babysitter role. Wesker = evil for greed at first, then WORLD DOMINATION! Rebecca, Sheva, Birkin, Alexia= Child geniuses that (Alexia and Birkin excluded) were thrown in to be side characters and nothing more. Even Sheva's role was completely dumbed down given the original reason to be a guide/translator. She does absolutley none of that, and RE5 was so damn linear that if Chris got lost it would show how truly moronic he is. He also was equipped with GPS....which made her role of a guide more obsolete.
      Oh, I completely agree. The characters in RE are pretty hollow. It's just bugging the hell out of me that a 3 second clip of her talking and you know everything, absoloutely everything, relevant to the character. While most of the RE cast are pretty shallow, Bertha is atom thin.
      Last edited by Darkmoon; 04-12-2011, 03:01 PM.

Comment

• Not impressed. The animations are god aweful...

Comment

• I guess I'm just not taking this nearly as seriously as everybody else. I guess it's because RE's story has gone to complete shit and I just don't care about it anymore. I'm just looking to have some fun...plus I'm not gonna shit all over it before I get my hands on it. I'm trying to keep an open mind...it's bitten me in the ass in the past, but I have a good feeling about this for some reason.

Basically, this is my outlook on the series from now on:

Last edited by Vector; 04-12-2011, 03:12 PM.

Comment

• I think this game will be a hilarious stroll through Raccoon City, gunning down civilians and putting would-be U.S. government agents in their place. We go in, we take out those who know too much and then I go home and have sandvich.
            See you in hell.

Comment

• Originally posted by ChrisRedfield29 View Post
              I guess I'm just not taking this nearly as seriously as everybody else. I guess it's because RE's story has gone to complete shit and I just don't care about it anymore. I'm just looking to have some fun...plus I'm not gonna shit all over it before I get my hands on it. I'm trying to keep an open mind...it's bitten me in the ass in the past, but I have a good feeling about this for some reason.
              I'm in the situation of, 'Fool me for the seventh time...well, fuck you Capcom!' Since my sole request seems destined to be unmet (horror - is it so much to ask they even try and make a horror series scary?) I'm pretty much here for the story, and I'm kinda hoping now Umbrella and Wesker are both gone they can do something good with the plot.

Which means forgetting Alex Wesker was ever mentioned, Capcom. You've lost plot points before. Loose that one.

Comment

• Originally posted by Darkmoon View Post
                I'm in the situation of, 'Fool me for the seventh time...well, fuck you Capcom!' Since my sole request seems destined to be unmet (horror - is it so much to ask they even try and make a horror series scary?) I'm pretty much here for the story, and I'm kinda hoping now Umbrella and Wesker are both gone they can do something good with the plot.
                Seems like Revelations is their attempt at horror again, for now. O:RC is multiplayer, Survival Selection is for those who are stuck in the past, and Mercs 3D is for the handheld audience. The series is reaching out all over the place in a full milk-job effect. Or at least it seems like that's what they're trying.

Comment

• Yeah, it's a bit of a shame I have no interest in a 3DS. Mercs I wouldn't get anyway, but Revelations might be interesting...or might not. And I'm never, ever getting the 4 and CVX versions because I already own those games.

Comment

Seems like Revelations is their attempt at horror again, for now. O:RC is multiplayer, Survival Selection is for those who are stuck in the past, and Mercs 3D is for the handheld audience. The series is reaching out all over the place in a full milk-job effect. Or at least it seems like that's what they're trying.
                    Oh they're milking it alright, especially with the anouncement of Dead Rising 2: Off the Record (what if Frank was in DR2?), which is basically Dead Rising 2 except this time with Frank... All Capcom want is your money, it doesn't seem like they even care what their fans think or what they do to their franchises, if they can cash in on something by doing as little work as possible, they'll do it.

Comment

• Originally posted by geluda View Post
                      Oh they're milking it alright, especially with the anouncement of Dead Rising 2: Off the Record (what if Frank was in DR2?), which is basically Dead Rising 2 except this time with Frank... All Capcom want is your money, it doesn't seem like they even care what their fans think or what they do to their franchises, if they can cash in on something by doing as little work as possible, they'll do it.
                      Dead Rising 2: Off the Record
                      Frank West gains a hysterical amount of weight, wears tights, kneefacefucks a few zombies, then falls and crushes the rest. Awwwwwwriiiight
                      sigpic
                      Are you tired, Rebecca?

Comment

• Frank ain't no former Motocross champion.
                        See you in hell.

Comment

• He's covered wars.

Y'know.

Comment

Well, in the trailer you can see Bertha inject herself with something and then do a super-sprint and go apeshit, so that's probably one of her abilities. Perhaps she's just a psychotic druggie who carries around a hacksaw...sounds good to me.
                            Originally posted by Archelon View Post
                            From the previews I've read, it's apparently an adrenaline boost, which she can perform on both herself and the rest of the team. It increases your accuracy, among other things.
                            Why am I suddenly picturing Bertha as a female Shepard from Mass Effect?

Originally posted by Archelon View Post
                            He's covered wars. Y'know.

Attached Files
                            sigpic

Comment

• And next, Frank will be covering Weight Watchers.
                              sigpic
                              Are you tired, Rebecca?

Comment

• He's covered cakes you know.

Comment

Working...
                                X