No announcement yet.

Resident Evil 6 - General thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry but the Dead Space series is not survival horror.

Comment

lol it doesn't matter how horror they say RE6 may be. This is Capcom, remember? Somewhere in the middle of development, they'll add melee moves, and people will think of RE5 all over again.
      My YouTube Channel - www.youtube.com/user/RetroRain2
      ROM Hacking Forum - acmlm.kafuka.org

Comment

Originally posted by Alkar View Post
        If it's anyone we know it should be Claire. She hasn't been in a RE game for way too long.
        She was in the last two RE games and is already in Operation: Raccoon City.

I'm on the ball for a whole new cast actually. We need a reboot in the sense of new characters since it's apparent the characters we've grown fond of have become action packed combatants.

Comment

Originally posted by Smiley View Post

I'm on the ball for a whole new cast actually. We need a reboot in the sense of new characters since it's apparent the characters we've grown fond of have become action packed combatants.
          Yes but not in the main canon. She was in side games which to me don't count.

I agree, we need all new characters. I'm tired of recycling characters.
          My Head-Fi Page

Comment

Since it seems that they are continuing with the BSAA aspect, and since Revelations ties in with RE6, if they use a new cast, they will most likely be brand new BSAA members, or BSAA members that were introduced in Revelations.

If they don't use new characters or BSAA members, then I'd have to say they would use Chris and Jill again, since they are the "main characters" of this series. But yes, we need a whole new cast. I have been saying that for a while now.
            Last edited by RetroRain; 09-15-2011, 12:50 AM.
            My YouTube Channel - www.youtube.com/user/RetroRain2
            ROM Hacking Forum - acmlm.kafuka.org

Comment

Originally posted by Vito View Post
              Sorry but the Dead Space series is not survival horror.
              All right, let's call it survival action. But that's how you put terror while keeping action sequences. I think that Dead Space has rewritten the book on how to get you jumpy, while you're blasting out the shit out of enemies.
              Survival + Horror + Action = Win.

That's what we need on RE.

"I miss the days when we just cared how cool an enemy was rather than critiquing and analyzing everything to death." - Shield Key

Comment

Originally posted by rehunk88 View Post
                To darkmoon.

they learned by making revalations brining in a sense of horror back at least more scarier than re 4 ever was at least thats a step in the right direction that is why in gods name im saying this.
                Currently? We simply don't know that. There are a lot of elements that could make Rvelations an utter mess. Several characters are looking poorly thought out and badly characterized, and I don't think we've actually seen a video with a dangerous B.O.W yet that's actually harmed a player character. It does look like there might be exploration and puzzles, though, which is a plus...then again, we don't know if the game is linear or not. You can have faith, and feel free to do so, but I'm not confident Revelations is going to be the Horror promised.

Plus, of the batch of five current games out recently or in the future, two are HD redos and two are action heavy lunacy. ORC and Mercs cannot even be suggested as Horror titles. The only plus is Mercs was a quick cash in and ORC isn't being made by Capcom.

Originally posted by GuardhouseMusic View Post
                To be fair, REmake, RE0, and RE: Outbreak all broke a million in sales. While it's only a fifth of the success that RE2 saw, the series wasn't doing too poorly either. It didn't NEED a change, but it could have used one and the timing was right.
                I could be wrong, but I understood that those games made very little in profit compared to the older games. They certainly didn't make anything like as much as the newer batch of games. Those things are basically how Capcom makes most of it's money.

Originally posted by Pikminister View Post
                I think Darkmoon was thinking about the Resident Evil Archive games for the Wii. Those didn't sell much. They sold around 300,000 units combined. All profit for Capcom, since they barely invested any $$$ on the ports. The original games (REmake & Zero) sold well beyond the 1.2 million mark back in the days. Probably made a lot more since.
                No, I was talking about the old ones. I could be totally wrong, but I was under the distinct impression those two made very little for Capcom in terms of actual profit.

I don't even think about the new ones. 'Yes, of course people will want to buy these games brand new, full price, rather than via the dirt cheap second hand copies that can run on the same console, for minor visual upgrades and the chance to use a Wii controller. We're genius!' I know there was a low cost for that project, but it was just...dumb.

Originally posted by Pikminister View Post
                Anyway, the series went downhill in term of sales after RE3. No RE game that came after it broke the 2 million units sold mark until RE4 came along.

Maybe Capcom will give Sheva a chance in the next game. Maybe just to show that she wasn't included in RE5 just to make it look like said game wasn't racist.

BTW, I wonder what race RE6 is going to insult in that game (I kid!)
                I'd actually like to see Sheva return, if only because I'm sick of one shot characters. The BSAA seems like the perfect excuse to get any number of characters from the old games in as supporting roles, but Capcom seems to like churning out new characters as often as possible.

Also, hopefully this time white folks will be hideously insulted. Sheva and Jom from Outbreak, curb stomping there way through infected London, mocking cream teas and black taxis. Or maybe a Southern US location, making fun of gun control laws and red neck incest.

I'd laugh. I'd laugh so much.
                Originally posted by Beanovsky Durst View Post
                All right, let's call it survival action. But that's how you put terror while keeping action sequences. I think that Dead Space has rewritten the book on how to get you jumpy, while you're blasting out the shit out of enemies.
                Survival + Horror + Action = Win.

That's what we need on RE.
                I totally agree. Dead Space has a lot more horror elements than the current crop of Resident Evil, if only because there enemies are superior. A single Ganado is something to toy with, maybe shoot in the balls before spin kicking down a giant hole. A Slasher will pull your nuts off if you're not careful.

And it does jumpy pretty well and creatively sometimes.

Comment

Originally posted by RetroRain View Post
                  Since it seems that they are continuing with the BSAA aspect, and since Revelations ties in with RE6, if they use a new cast, they will most likely be brand new BSAA members, or BSAA members that were introduced in Revelations.
                  That's what I said almost two years ago, I even recorded a whole discussion about it for the RPD Dispatch that was never released. It wouldn't suprise me if that's the way they went. Since this is a huge franchise to Capcom, they probably don't want to gamble on bringing in an all new cast and risk losing their fan base in the process. Obviously they don't really care about us, but they do care about our money, so they're still going to be very cautious with big steps like that.

Taking out big name sellers like Leon,etc. is a whole different animal then the usual non-delivering of fan love (especially to older fans) that upsets us so. The key? Baby steps, like Chris/Jill making a cameo to introduce the new agents. Personally, I'd like to finally see Chris/Leon in a game together before the end. Not sure why, I suppose it's just strange that the two biggest heroes in the same game universe have never been on screen together, just an email message in CV and Chris mentioning the Kennedy report.

At this point, I don't even care if they reboot the series(hopefully they don't take it as far as DMC), because in my heart, I know the series will never return to the roots of the games I fell in love with. Don't get me wrong, Revelations looks a bit promising. However, it also looks like RE5 with some "scary" thrown in. Add Russell Crowe and Evil Conan O'brian and that about sums up my feelings for modern day Resident Evil.

My only wish if they do take the route of a reboot: Leave the original characters alone. Will they listen? HA.
                  Last edited by REmaster; 09-15-2011, 04:34 AM.
                  "One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate... and thus defy the tyrannous stars."
                  Resident Evil/Castlevania/ Silent Hill/Onimusha/Tekken /Dark Souls

Comment

Originally posted by Smiley View Post

Like mentioned already she hasn't been a main character in a main series since CV. Just like Jill hasn't been a main since RE3 (and Revelations is taking care of that).
                    Claire isn't really a fighter nor has she turned action like the others, she'd be perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by Darkmoon View Post
                      No, I was talking about the old ones. I could be totally wrong, but I was under the distinct impression those two made very little for Capcom in terms of actual profit.
                      They made a good profit I am sure, it has been said a high budget HD console game needs 1 million in sales to profit, so a last gen game that sold 1.3m or so should have made plenty.

The way Capcom and its investors look at it, the RE series was selling several times what REmake and RE0 managed with each main series game and it should be doing it again.
                      Beanovsky Durst - "They are not pervs. They are japanese."

Comment

Like mentioned already she hasn't been a main character in a main series since CV. Just like Jill hasn't been a main since RE3 (and Revelations is taking care of that).
                        Claire isn't really a fighter nor has she turned action like the others, she'd be perfect.
                        I wouldn't mind her being in the lead, but as others have said it doesn't sound very likely. She was in Degeneration, as fan service, a "sequel" to RE2 and a nice farewell in my opinion. I agree that she would make for a good main character again since she's the only one left that's not a trained acrobatic killing machine (other than Rebecca lolz, even though RE0 disagrees).

However, there's still the same argument that goes with Rebecca fans: For someone who doesn't seek out Biological disasters, she would have to once again "just happen to be" in the area when it occurs. Not that this series takes itself too seriously, just saying.
                        Last edited by REmaster; 09-15-2011, 06:22 AM.
                        "One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate... and thus defy the tyrannous stars."
                        Resident Evil/Castlevania/ Silent Hill/Onimusha/Tekken /Dark Souls

Comment

Originally posted by KylieDog View Post
                          They made a good profit I am sure, it has been said a high budget HD console game needs 1 million in sales to profit, so a last gen game that sold 1.3m or so should have made plenty.

The way Capcom and its investors look at it, the RE series was selling several times what REmake and RE0 managed with each main series game and it should be doing it again.
                          Well, I know RE0's sales we're about 1.10 million, and those were low enough to send the Capcom share holders and execs into a hideous tale spin of screaming and fear that ended with RE4 being ported to the PS2 despite it pissing off Mikami. And I'm sure (but not very) that I've seen it written that the numbers on these games were low enough that RE4 could have been the last, if it hadn't sold as well as it did.

Comment

Originally posted by REmaster View Post
                            I wouldn't mind her being in the lead, but as others have said it doesn't sound very likely. She was in Degeneration, as fan service, a "sequel" to RE2 and a nice farewell in my opinion. I agree that she would make for a good main character again since she's the only one left that's not a trained acrobatic killing machine (other than Rebecca lolz, even though RE0 disagrees).

However, there's still the same argument that goes with Rebecca fans: For someone who doesn't seek out Biological disasters, she would have to once again "just happen to be" in the area when it occurs. Not that this series takes itself too seriously, just saying.
                            I didn't really see Degeneration as a farewell to Claire. In the movie she kinda realizes she hasn't really accomplished much following that path.
                            We also have the Sherry issue to take care of and Claire wouldn't be a bad choice.

Comment

We also have the Sherry issue to take care of and Claire wouldn't be a bad choice.
                              Her story was tied up in Darkside Chronicles.
                              PROJECT Umbrella - The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium

Comment

Capcom swept Sherry and Steve under the rug. Sadly, I don't see them returning in anything new. But they could have been enough to give Claire some motivation for her own game.

One problem though. The man who seemingly had them died in RE5.

Comment

Working...
                                X