Resident Evil 6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Pikminister View Post
    Sure is... TOO HUMAN (the definition of rushed and unpolished).

I said devs.

And having such a big team (600) delivering such an unpolished game and trying to sell it as a AAA product (and then complaining that the response has been underwhelming) sure fits my definition of lazy.

Deal.

EDIT: I think Capcom (the dev I was talking about) needs to learn something about this experience. Beyond just feeling sad because they didn't exactly get those mythical CoD numbers.

I really want to see what their next move will be with this series. They already said that if the game had a great reception, things would continue on the same path (but with more explosions, action and the like). But if the reception was not that great, then it would be reboot time.
    Still wrong, though. Three and a half years is not rushed no matter how you slice it. Also, the dev. team was not 600. The dev team was about 150. The rest were from external companies working on aspects such as motion capture, cut-scenes, etc.

Now, had you said that the developers put themselves under too much pressure, tried to do too much with too little, or simply aren't very good, you'd actually have a point.
    Last edited by News Bot; 11-07-2012, 01:33 PM.
    PROJECT Umbrella - The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium

Comment

• Originally posted by News Bot View Post
      Still wrong, though. Three and a half years is not rushed no matter how you slice it. Also, the dev. team was not 600. The dev team was about 150. The rest were from external companies working on aspects such as motion capture, cut-scenes, etc.

Now, had you said that the developers put themselves under too much pressure, tried to do too much with too little, or simply aren't very good, you'd actually have a point.
      Since I'm not exactly privy to such insider knowledge (in terms of the capabilities of the team and who did exactly what), I can only give/offer my impressions/opinions of the end result/product.

And that I did.
      Stuff to remember: Avoid forums if you're having a bad day.
      sigpic

Comment

• So, definition of lazy is containing the following thing which most AAA blockbusters don't have these days;

-Contextual selection and adaption of animation (most devs use canned animations with complete disregard of context)
        -Actors doing physical and facial mocap (most devs do sloppy basement mocap at best and lip-flap lipsync)
        -Internally developing their own tech and at the same time delivering one of the most flexible and versatile multiplatform proprietary engine on the market (most devs rely on buckets worth of licensed tech)
        -Supporting full campaign split-screen co-op and also including system link LAN co-op (most devs let their games rely entirely on PSN/LIVE for this now and split-screen's a dying breed; especially in the campaign portions of games)
        -Supporting cross-game session expanded co-op (2->4 players) at meeting points and counter-op (at the moment of writing this; hardly any game has ever done cross-point co-op or Counter Op-esque modes; except maybe Perfect Dark 64, MindJack and Dark Souls)
        -Almost all cutscenes rendered in-engine (2 weren't, apparently. Most devs pre-render their shit to hell and beyond. Ever since RE4 GC, Capcom more or less made it a design requirement to do shit "for real" and not rely on FMVs.)
        -Most cutscenes having double direction for the cutscene action (player 1 and player 2, sometimes also player 3 and 4 during 4 player segments. Only other games I can think of that does this is the co-op intro segments in some Perfect Dark missions and Lost Planet 2)
        -Vsync on all platforms
        -Release a demo over a quarter before public release (Battlefield 3 beta being an actual beta; hardly anyone but Capcom dares to do this these days) and follow it up with another (completely different) demo closer to release.
        -Harvest feedback post-demo launch and post-retail to whip together major update patches adding several new features (most devs spend their "free patch" on a launch patch and then forget about the game and move on, unless they have DLC planned and need to patch in a hook for it or fix something in the engine to make the DLC not break.)

Such a bunch of lazy fucks. Should've dropped all that and just made

A dev size of "600+" isn't actually that large anymore if you know what a number that size actually includes.

If you count the amount of localized languages, the game probably had two (or more translators for each language. So that's 10+ people there, then they probably had two or more language testers per language, so that's 10+ more there, then they had the dub cast for each language, so that's a solid 10+ or more for each of the 6 languages there, then they probably had their own internal certification team crack at the game, so that's probably 10+ or more there ttoo, and then there were probably project managers, dubbing directors, casting agents, etc. for each territory/language too ... which means you only on the translation front probably had 100+ people somehow involved in the game.

Comment

• I don't see Capcom is any different than another AAA-company. Most companies are throwing big bucks at animation, actor's doing physical and facial mocap, and cutscenes. Even though I hate RE6, still, I admit that they are supporting it, since this is one of their biggest releases, but overall, I don't see anything extraordinary. They are probably trying to regain some lost respect points. I see you have forgotten their DLC schemes and Megaman cancellations and blaming fans because of it, dumbing down of RE after the fourth one (even though I think RE4 was already dumbed down), blatanty saying that they want to get COD sales.

Surely, what can you say about it?
          Last edited by fishboil; 11-08-2012, 02:03 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Carnivol View Post
            So, definition of lazy is...
            That wall of text wasn't necessary because I made it quite clear that MY own definition of lazy (in this particular case) was based on MY impression of the end result.

And the end result is flawed & unpolished in parts (not all of it). Like I said before, this game has very high high's and very low, lows. That's why I gave it a score between 6.5 and 7.5 which would basically make it a 7.0. The same score that News Bot gave it.

Now, considering the man power, resources and the money spent, the end result gives ME the impression of them being somewhat lazy and that they probably figured that the game would well anyways on the name brand alone. Even if the gameplay and general quality of the product was not exactly top grade.

Instead of trying to ride on the coat-tails of the success of RE5 they should've spent more time polishing RE6. Like Mikami did with RE4.

Fuck we can wait, right? What was the rush? The anniversary? For that, they could've just remade RE2 or released RE 1.5 and that would've kept us busy until RE6 was ready for showtime. IMO, ORC and Revelations was enough, but I guess people need their mainline/canon fix.

Anywhoo... agree to disagree and all that jazz.
            sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by fishboil View Post
              Most companies are throwing big bucks at animation, actor's doing physical and facial mocap, and cutscenes.
              I can't be the only one who finds it sad that these "big bucks" aren't being spent on core gameplay, where they should be.
              Mass production? Ridiculous!

Comment

• Originally posted by Det. Beauregard View Post
                I can't be the only one who finds it sad that these "big bucks" aren't being spent on core gameplay, where they should be.
                Like it or not, those showy-offy aspects are what quite a lot of gamers care about. Core gameplay is fairly overlooked by comparison if it's not completely fucked.
                PROJECT Umbrella - The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium

Comment

• Originally posted by News Bot View Post
                  Like it or not, those showy-offy aspects are what quite a lot of gamers care about. Core gameplay is fairly overlooked by comparison if it's not completely fucked.
                  Just like the PS1 era RE games could pride themselves on unpolished and clunky gameplay combined with voice acting, state if the art CG backgrounds, CG FMVs a plenty and live-action videos. All "outlandish" concepts at the time in terms of budget and stuff you did to market games in the cd-rom era. Stuff really haven't changed much. Other than people possibly being spoiled by the awesomeness of RE4.

Comment

• It was nice when we had a time when you had to go to the movies to see your "epics". Games are too high production at the moment. I would have thought with things such as the recent economy downturn companies would start downsizing their projects. I thought resident evil would never turn out like this, they had a perfect "almost unique" formula (I suppose you could say a refined alone in the dark). All of a sudden kids who had never played an RE classic in their life started saying things like "I hate tank controls, the combat is too hard, the camera angles I cant seeee waaahhh, I can't move and shoot" In other words all of the resident evil game mechanics which made the game resident evil and a big group of people didn't like it. I know it wasn't most of us complaining about that stuff because we wouldn't have played and enjoyed them. *Ughh just sneezed whilst drinking tea then I smacked my hand on a glass 'n' now my fricken hand is bleeding* Anyway next time an RE game comes out which we don't like the look of, just don't buy it, when you get your 45 quid for a game just buy some movies or something, or go to the next game on your 'to buy' list, or even give it to charity or something. Just don't buy it. Anyway what the hell am I thinking, we'll all buy it anyway, we always do. Just for the record I'm in the RE4 sucks also club. The reason being, that was so popular it was the precursor to the crap we have now.

Comment

Other than people possibly being spoiled by the awesomeness of RE4.
                      Interesting. I think it's true, to be honest, at least from a gameplay perspective.
                      Mass production? Ridiculous!

Comment

• I just finished looking over the recent NPD numbers and I can see why Capcom wasn't that impressed with RE6's numbers.

It sold well. But other than the Japanese market, RE6 is not exactly a huge massive hit over here. It seems it's falling behind RE5' numbers. Those Pokemon games are selling better (no surprise there).

In Japan it already is about to leave the top 10 charts. I wonder it has enough legs to go the distance here in the US.
                        Last edited by Pikminister; 11-09-2012, 11:44 AM.
                        sigpic

Comment

• I think if they just stand behind it and don't pussy out like they did with Lost Planet 2, it'll keep on selling and they'll have a product that's also easy to subject to future expansion in the form of additional game modes and levels, new story content and various other bits 'n' bobs of other tweaks and knobs.

Also, I'm still butt hurt about how they practically just left Lost Planet 2 for dead the moment they realized it weren't pulling CoD numbers on launch and reviewers made outlandish claims such as "Episode 3-3 is IMPOSSIBLE". (And I still think it's a bit sad that they had Inafune and such go out and apologize for its lack of vision/direction and so forth.)

Comment

I think if they just stand behind it and don't pussy out like they did with Lost Planet 2, it'll keep on selling and they'll have a product that's also easy to subject to future expansion in the form of additional game modes and levels, new story content and various other bits 'n' bobs of other tweaks and knobs.
                            Yep. And also lets not forget about the PC version. They could even recover production costs with little investment with a Wii U version.

If they play their cards right, they could make RE6 into a success story.... in terms of sales at least.
                            sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Pikminister View Post
                              That wall of text wasn't necessary because I made it quite clear that MY own definition of lazy (in this particular case) was based on MY impression of the end result.

And the end result is flawed & unpolished in parts (not all of it). Like I said before, this game has very high high's and very low, lows. That's why I gave it a score between 6.5 and 7.5 which would basically make it a 7.0. The same score that News Bot gave it.

Now, considering the man power, resources and the money spent, the end result gives ME the impression of them being somewhat lazy and that they probably figured that the game would well anyways on the name brand alone. Even if the gameplay and general quality of the product was not exactly top grade.

Instead of trying to ride on the coat-tails of the success of RE5 they should've spent more time polishing RE6. Like Mikami did with RE4.

Fuck we can wait, right? What was the rush? The anniversary? For that, they could've just remade RE2 or released RE 1.5 and that would've kept us busy until RE6 was ready for showtime. IMO, ORC and Revelations was enough, but I guess people need their mainline/canon fix.

Anywhoo... agree to disagree and all that jazz.
                              I agree and understand, lets fact this
                              I would change the lazy word by something like amateur status or incompetence, better to describle a unpolished and rushed job

They didn't succeeded in any degree like said, who are they trying to fool? Seriouly
                              i can't find a s* to reuse in the next game, only a bunch of lessons to what not do again

Comment

I think if they just stand behind it and don't pussy out like they did with Lost Planet 2, it'll keep on selling and they'll have a product that's also easy to subject to future expansion in the form of additional game modes and levels, new story content and various other bits 'n' bobs of other tweaks and knobs.

Also, I'm still butt hurt about how they practically just left Lost Planet 2 for dead the moment they realized it weren't pulling CoD numbers on launch and reviewers made outlandish claims such as "Episode 3-3 is IMPOSSIBLE". (And I still think it's a bit sad that they had Inafune and such go out and apologize for its lack of vision/direction and so forth.)

This, you could tell from the content and titles that it seemed like Capcom was actually planning to have LP2 be compeitive and such.

Comment

Working...
                                X