Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some cool 1.5 exclusive screenshots (**As seen on TV!**)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• As long as it retains the exact feel, I'm happy with the decision to ditch original RE 1.5 engine.. though I was under the impression that IGAS had tamed that beast, unless I missed some posts on here.

Comment

• From what I can tell the biggest issue with the original engine is that you fix something and at least three more things break in return, meaning it takes a lot of time to investigate on additional bugs. Squeeze Bomb, on the other hand, doesn't produce that kind of crap. It takes like 5 minutes to change a behavior at global scope and once done it's gone for good.

I wouldn't worry too much about feeling. Besides missing lag, it still looks like the same game gone polishing 101. I'll ask and see if I can post a brief video with Elza moving around the rooms.

PS: currently reformatting weapon stuff. Stupid animations with hardcoded speed values.
      Last edited by Gemini; 01-26-2015, 10:39 AM.

Resident Evil: Behind the Mask twitter
      , also in Facebookian flavor for great justice.

Comment

• Loving those screens - Gemini your engine is amazing

That 'new'? corridor with the vending machine looks ace - although its really bugging me seeing the PEPSI design and font reading Gypsy LOL
        Is the team changing this to avoid Pepsi copyright or...? Could they just make up a generic one, seen in many movies and games like Cold Drinks or something (Silent Hill 3 had some like this, no branded stuff)

Still, brands add realism - I'll never forget all the Coca Cola stuff in Parasite Eve 2 lol
        "I never thought any of this stuff my brother taught me would work!"

Comment

• ^ That should be both a way to avoid copyright and an inside joke of some sort. It could be changed, or maybe not; doesn't really matter in the end if it says POPSI or BEAR COLA. What matters is that the conversion process works out of the box and the backgrounds don't look ugly and uber compressed.
          Last edited by Gemini; 01-26-2015, 11:05 AM.

Comment

• Excellent news there Gemini !
            Your collaboration is just about Squeezebomb, or there's a chance to see Sonic making some brand new backgrounds for those unfinished areas?
            In any case, I hope for quite some time for the two teams to team up together!

Comment

• I'm assuming squeezebomb is something like github?

Comment

• Originally posted by Gemini View Post
                That's the idea. The transition phase I mentioned means taking all Birkin's source code and adapt it to Squeeze Bomb; it's over 200 source files and they literally include A LOT of remade 1.5 code, roughly 300 KB in terms of compiled binaries. The screens I posted are about completing two WIP rooms, so they are related to the toolchain rather than the engine itself. So many PSD tweaks.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scream View Post
                  As long as it retains the exact feel, I'm happy with the decision to ditch original RE 1.5 engine.. though I was under the impression that IGAS had tamed that beast, unless I missed some posts on here.
                  feels are important. initial test on new engine prove very positive. main problem with original become what gemini say about fix one and break three. make everything fit and not break is like most challenging resident evil puzzle ever made. reason we stick to original engine for so long and not approach a new one is because of the full hardware compatibility for playstation 1. the engine gemini make offer easy compatibility with some tweak on existing work. combine with all knowledge from this many work of hours with original engine it make for possible to keep all the feels of 1.5 too

Comment

• If this saves the project, then go for it.

Comment

• I'm glad the game has been transferred to a newer and better engine. But why was 1.5's original engine so fucked up in the first place? I thought it used RE1's engine.

Also, someone on a message board is claiming they have a more complete build of 1.5, but I'm almost certain it's bullshit.

Comment

• Originally posted by Enigmatism415 View Post
                        B.Zork, perhaps if you forced the door-loading sequence, it would be easier to reduce and manage the game's memory usage?
                        we allow only for door skip when game has finish loading. we do have test idea for asset changing on door loading for how to handle translation to exotic language with requirement for large font tables or other regional requirement if that is to be done. in that case we only need load specific font needed for text in new room or stage. same concept can be recycle for other resources but create some limit and other challenge in development. someone this one time make compare of memory management like item management in game. almost everything fit in item box like a cd or many cd. not everything fit in inventory just like memory. some object you can put in item box and swap when need. some item is key item and always exist in important slot. some object even take two space in inventory! on playstation 1 we do not have the item expansion pack that give us 2 more item slot like in game

Comment

• Originally posted by Renard View Post
                          I'm glad the game has been transferred to a newer and better engine. But why was 1.5's original engine so fucked up in the first place? I thought it used RE1's engine.

Also, someone on a message board is claiming they have a more complete build of 1.5, but I'm almost certain it's bullshit.
                          You just answered your own question. The RE1 engine is so full of issues that the original coyld have been rebuilt to be better than what it is currently. In fact I'm more than positive that they could have fit the remake onto a single psx disc.

Comment

• Heh, the feel should indeed stay the same with due improvements. The way Hazardous Battle moves should give you an idea of what to expect. Funny how the only negative feedback I've seen so far comes from those who've been always complaining about IGAS not staying true to 1.5, then they produce "pure" stuff and it turns out to be a bag of wind. Oh my, the irony.

Originally posted by Renard View Post
                            I thought it used RE1's engine.
                            It's structured like RE1 in some spots and close enough to RE2 in terms of code organization. Still fairly ugly and incomplete, thought.

Comment

• Originally posted by Darkness View Post
                              If this saves the project, then go for it.
                              project not need save but new engine can make work faster and less going insane if this work out fine for all parts

Originally posted by Renard View Post
                              I'm glad the game has been transferred to a newer and better engine. But why was 1.5's original engine so fucked up in the first place? I thought it used RE1's engine.

resident evil 1 only work as foundation. there is still many difference for how 1.5 is compare to 1. this difference being unfinished make 1.5 very unstable and not receptive to new function data. in many ways it maybe become easier to add many new function to re1 core but some feature easier to get by just using re1.5 core. now we maybe use new core

if anyone have new data we not have maybe they can share with team to help make better project. we still accept contribution and also open to make deal for new material like before.

Comment

• I didn't know RE1's engine was bad in the first place lol.

So B.Zork, you are saying that if a more complete build were to come along, you would just use it to build upon IGAS's current build?

Comment

Working...
                                X