Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Darkmoon
    replied
    My biggest issue is simple...all of the Resident Evil games have been scary. Outbreak creeped me out. I was nervous to open the door in Zero. I was horrified in 2 to find I had to back track and get a new key.

RE4 isn't scary. It doesn't have puzzles. It doesn't have exploration. Changing the format to keep the series alive? Great. I love the new combat style. Did that really mean they had to cut out all the bits that made RE great? Nope, and the 3.5 videos show that.

Resident Evil 1 was a frigthening game with with puzzles, mystery and horror and clunky ass control scheme. Resident Evil 4 had great action...and no horror, puzzles or mystery.

If RE5 actually combines the two then it will be the finest RE game yet...but it's looking like they're ripping the characters and enemies right out of RE4 and that doesn't bode well for me.

Leave a comment:

• Mysidia
    replied
    Hello Everyone

Long time reader, first time poster. I wanted to add my thoughts on this topic.

The problem with 4 was that it was a straight path, from start to end. You always knew where you were going.

There was no exploring, running from area to area, back and forth between rooms exhausting ever possibility before finding that key, or solving that puzzle. Everything was always right in front of you or slightly off, always looping back to where you needed to go to proceed.

But don't get me wrong, I did like Resident Evil 4 and I'll buy Resident Evil 5 as soon as it comes out. I'm just disappointed at how the series has changed so much to be like everything else.
    Last edited by Mysidia; 05-24-2008, 01:15 AM.

Leave a comment:

• A-J
    replied
    1up's writeup of the current information overload.

Leave a comment:

• U and S
    replied
    A volcano releasing a virus is not silly --

A virus is not a living organism. They can be frozen in ice for hundreds of years then be defrosted and infect someone. Perhaps the volcano melted its ice cap and released the virus via precipitation. Not very likely, but not impossible.

Actually, I just talked to my friend and learned that there's a movie comimg out this year with a similiar premise; a frozen mammoth is found and in a melting glacier -- but, it contains an prehistoric parasite that infects the people who find it and they begin to turn on each other. Seems like it rips-off The Thing. It's called 'The Thaw'. Here's its poster, familiar, huh?
    Last edited by U and S; 05-23-2008, 09:40 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Alzaire
    replied
    In response to John, mostly. It's somewhat a question of personal taste in ideas, specifics, interests, and expectations.

I won't argue, like many others would agree about, that what they did definitely pushed the name Biohazard/Resident Evil in such a way that it kept it alive and sold amazingly well. And I've never disagreed that the game was fun to play, at least once or twice through.

But first off, in the manner of interests, stepping outside the world of a zombie story in Biohazard made me lose a lot of interest. As a huge fan of Romero's original trilogy as my favorite, having those movies be a basis off what the first Biohazards became was a big factor. I'm a fan of the slow, dumb zombies world.

So, I miss the zombies, because the old slow ones represent to me a more creepy, horror inducing image in my head. Trying to run down a tight corridor or being surrounded by them seems a bit more horrifying in my mind. Their slowness and dumbness keeps them from being that quick-immediate threat, giving your mind time to soak in the grotesque, rotten corpses that are slowly moving in on you. Sure they can be easier to handle if you are well armed/trained and in open spaces a bit easier to get away from, which is why they work best in the claustrophobic areas like in the originals which took place majority inside buildings. And personally, I find the more intelligent and fast "zombies" to be only dangerous, not so much scary in a horrifying way. I compare them more to humans, and they are becoming more human in the BH games. I just don't like that. I imagine with the new enemies in BH5 using motorbikes, I'm expecting to be shot at as well a few times, not to mention the ability to flank, surround, cut off, lock doors, ect. that may be traited to the new enemies. I just feel like it's no longer that cold, slow horror it used to be. Might as well be fighting regular humans with guns and intelligence in some other game or FPS. And yes, being shot at and fast-paced running, intelligence zombies, ect. are scary in their own way, but not the way I like.

And finally, I feel similar to how Rombie feels in the story department. The first game was a damn fine horror, survival, mysterious game that wasn't so much about any grand story. It was a pharmaceutical company that had labs in an old mansion in a small town and things went wrong. It had such a simpleness to it. Then it just stretched too far and Capcom could never handle the story properly. Ironic since they cancelled 1.5 because the story wouldn't deliver sequals well, or at least that's one reason. Why they didn't come up with a concrete blueprint for a well-conceived story at that point since they planned on milking the series anyway is beyond me. If they had made a good resolution to the original story and made a new story or game, I think it would have been great.

When it gets to the point where I feel like I'm dealing with a business, it can easily become no fun anymore. Capcom milking the name and stretching the story to the point there's been no real coherency and dramatic changes had to be made to keep interests and make new ones is a bad plan. Biohazard should never have been more than 3 games, if that, just in my personal opinion. I'm a fan of quitting while you're ahead, or too much good thing turns bad.

I also don't like it when people berate us for feeling this way about the new games. I've never insulted anyone for liking RE4 or feeling it's a great RE named game, although I have argued my disagreement of issues. To be called noobs or snubbed for our complaints, when I have mostly seen very little to warrant it is pretty wrong. It's sad to see when people like me bring up our issues with -the game(s) in question-, the retorts are issues with -the complainers-. It's just so rude. Obviously I'm sure there are rude and just as wrong comments made by people on our side of the camp sometimes, but in the majority of places I've seen the arguments, it's always the people who are fine with RE4 and the new direction that seem to be rude to those who aren't. Is it the current tean-generation thing/way to be? Cause I seem to see that most of the mid-20s or older who bought RE1/2 on release date and grew up with the originals(with exceptions of course) are the ones unhappiest with the new direction and mostly the teans or new fans who recently discovered the series are the ones cool with it. I mean no disrespect to anyone, btw.

Basically I think it's just a matter of personal tastes in interest and expectations. You can't expect everyone to like or accept a change. And being a fan doesn't make anyone obligated to go either way on the decision. Nor does their decision make them any more or less a fan.

Let's all just be cool and find obtain 1.5 somehow. That would be quite appeasing!

Leave a comment:

• ZERO
    replied
    re 5 looks great but like an action game,and the thing tha i hate the most about it is that if the story sucks i still going to play it becase it has the resident evil name in it,but hope they not screw with this game,but if the story suck really bad then i think twice before buying another re game,i buy it for the horror,storyline and a good gameplay but in the end only the gameplay is good just like in re 4,of course i cant have sure about it until i play it but it seems that ater mikami leave capcom re games become shooters.
    Last edited by ZERO; 05-23-2008, 09:02 PM.

Leave a comment:

• LeonsBuddyDave
    replied
    XD That was hilarious! I kind of saw the last part coming, but it still made my chest hurt with laughing!

Leave a comment:

• Sunglasses
    replied
    @Big Stu
    Forgive my bad "humor", but I think you use "Jesus Chris!" excessively.
    Please accept my present:
    With love from Sunglasses At Night

Leave a comment:

• Umon Daisuke
    replied
    Originally posted by Borman View Post
    Outbreak didnt do poorly just because of the series getting stale, it did poorly to reflect the game's content
    What killed it for the mainstream are two things: Lack of online communication and the dreaded loading times. If it weren't for IM's online, I wouldn't have played it online. Good times though.. some of the boss fights had to be fought co-operatively.

The gameplay formula was touched up and the introduction of melee weapons and abilities (without making any character broken) was well done. The gameplay alone was as far as the traditional formula can be pushed (even had swimming in it).

It did well enough to get the Greatest Hits line in NA and Japan (Best). File 2 on the other hand tanked all around.

Leave a comment:

• Stu
    replied
    Originally posted by Sunglasses View Post
    Big Stu, remember, Luke 12:10 says:
    Well Big Stu says:

Faaaaaantastic.

Leave a comment:

• LeonsBuddyDave
    replied
    Originally posted by Big Stu View Post
    Jesus Christ.

So now the game is a Halo clone?

People are DESPERATE to just take shots for the sake of it on this one aren't they!
    Third-person Halo Clone with different enemies.

Leave a comment:

• Sunglasses
    replied
    Originally posted by Big Stu View Post
    Jesus Christ.
    Big Stu, remember, Luke 12:10 says:
    Everyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but those who blaspheme against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven.

Leave a comment:

• Borman
    replied
    Originally posted by Nemesis556 View Post
    I think it's generally foolish to bitch and moan about how crap the new Resident Evil looks. The series had to progress to garner more sales, the system was getting stale. I mean, how well did the Outbreak series sell, relative to Resident Evil 4? REmake? Zero? They didn't do too well compared to the new formula.

I'm interested to see how SH Homecoming goes, to tell us if the old school survival horror format (though Homecoming does push it) still shifts units.

I'm all for change. Bring on RE5! =)
    Outbreak didnt do poorly just because of the series getting stale, it did poorly to reflect the game's content

Really, my biggest disappointment is still the lack of closure. Ill admit I havent gotten around to playing REUC yet,but I just feel like theres so much more left in Raccoon City or Umbrella, and I feel like it was just cut short. I could deal with the action since, at this point, I feel like its a bit harder to scare me then it was 10 years ago, but just give me REAL closure. Give me ONE great game that wraps everything up correctly, then you can get back to your volcano.

Leave a comment:

• Stu
    replied
    Jesus Christ.

So now the game is a Halo clone?

People are DESPERATE to just take shots for the sake of it on this one aren't they!

Leave a comment:

• LeonsBuddyDave
    replied
    I could live with online play, but only if it was limited to a side story or Mercenaries. With a two-player main story and a game based on action, this is starting to sound like Capcoms version of Halo, and I don't like that at all. One of the things I always liked about RE was the fact that it stood out from first person shooters and other similar games. I'm hoping that they pull a 1.5-esque turn around with development for this one, because I promised myself I wouldn't buy a 360 just for Halo. Or a Halo clone.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X