No announcement yet.

Kijuju Website : Phase 4 "Bridge" Online

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I actually like the way these videos are going. Even though I have the private theory that they're all actually hallucinations taking place during the Kijuju incident, I wouldn't mind if I was wrong and they take place after the game and are cannon.

I mean, think about it. Chris has obviously gone through a great deal and it's started to trouble him even before he enters RE5. He's lost folk along the way, and failed to stop Wesker at least once before. Despite his best efforts there are more bio-terrorism incidents, not less.

You guys make it sound like each blow to the mind has to be more terrible than the one before it, and it certainly doesn't hurt. But this could be a case of the straw that brack the roid man's mind. And, hell, it isn't as though he's not gonna face something deeply unpleasant. Birdwoman and her fate alone could be enough to snap his mind. Let alone possibilities with Sheva.

Personally, I like the realism this adds. These are terrible, trautmatic events and so far all the characters have made it out the other side with nothing more than a determination to see Umbrella go down bar Leon getting an entry to the Goverment's Secret Ninja School of Awesome. That isn't normal. And Chris has dealt with this more than any other character by now, given his position.

Is it really such a shock that he's suffering post traumatic stress disorder when hundreds of thousanfd of people got it during the World Wars, and those are typical, every day slaughters with only human monsters to contend with?

Yeah, it would be nice if Leon showed some symptons of being human. But he isn't human. He's Leon. Emotions are a dirty, dirty word to him unless, of course, it's chance to scream mournfully for someone he's know for fifteen minutes. I'm kinda shocked some of you folks are complaining that Chris is showing too much human compared to Leon. It just helps prove Leon is a mutant freak that needs to be hunted down and killed before he spreads his foppish hair and random emotional outlet to the world.

Comment

What if in Leon's next game (and there will be one, I think) we actually go deep into his psyche? I'm sure this wasn't Mikami's intention during the production of RE4, but the fact that he's so emotionally detached could be for a reason. He says he fights for "[his] past," but perhaps he's really fighting against his past. By the end of RE2, he's left heartbroken and vengeful at the same time (excuse the fact that Ada is in fact alive). His government training could have unhealthily pushed back his strong averse emotions. In RE4, he's arrogant as hell, and then in Degeneration, he's practically stoic. What if all of this is leading him on a path to a severe nervous breakdown?

I dislike his RE4 iteration as much as you do, but I'd be open to it pushing him over the edge. Though if that's what they're doing with Chris, it'd be a bit redundant at this point.

Comment

I always wished they'd used at least some of the 3.5 story and had Leon suffer from hallucinations. Because then you can make him look human without making him look weak. He starts shooting at a Ganado...and it suddenly turns into a person. Is it real? Is it a Ganado? Leon doesn't know so what does he do? Runs away? Fights and hopes he's right? These kinda moral conudrums could have made Leon truly interesting, somethiong no ammount of super awesome ninja moves are gonna achieve.

Hell, you could even have him blow some poor bastards head off only to see the corpse of some random guy on the floor, weapon gone. Oh the morality. What does Leon do? Can he save Ashley when he might believe she's a great girbbly monsters, or she might believe he is? Or when he might think a normal monster is actually Ashley?

That's why I like these. They suggest Chris suffers during the game, maybe has to make some big moral choices. And that, for me, is a good thing. You can't make these choices, can't face these situations repeatedly without some kind of consequences. And PTSD is a pretty appropriate one.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisRedfield29 View Post
          Ugh.

In case any one of us needed reminding, post-RE5 Chris Redfield is a suicidal, manic depressant douche bag.
          capcom seem to have an affinity for ruining there characters lately.

id rather never ever see the classic characters again than have them raped and ruined like this, please capcom, just invent someone new who we don't care about and make them do this.

Originally posted by Jill's Boob View Post
          These viral videos are pure rubbish. Whatever braintrust came up with this marketing campaign needs to be tossed.

First of all, Chris Redfield, the veteran of numerous viral outbreak campaigns, and founding member of anti-bio-terror agencies, is left a slobbering, whimpering mess after Kijuju? And showing these live action skits (I'd have preferred simple commercials featuring only the gameplay snippets) tells us two things: (a) Chris lives, and that (b) perhaps someone important to him dies. Telling me he lives already ruins any suspense I might have had thinking Chris & Wesker kill each other (at the same time) in the end. And the death of a person close to him is all I can think of to send Chris into despair since he's never been affected before. Even considering that, we've seen Jill's tombstone and yet Chris is fully composed during the game. And it is obvious Claire is not killed (viral vid 3), nor is Sheva (viral vid 1). Leaves only 1 option...
          that's why these video's suck and have already completely ruined the entire game. we already know that Chris fightls Wesker, kills him or Wesker escapes, Claire and Sheva survive. and someone of great important to Chris obviously dies (wonder who that could be? ). and then capcom did the impossible, and actualy managed to ruin even Chris's character.

so that's Leon, Jill, Wesker and now Chris capcom have fucked up. and some would say Claire as well, but i still like her though.

Originally posted by Jill's Boob View Post
          EDIT: Actually, Chris witnessed firsthand his entire squad get waxed in Arklay. Pretty sure he was close to them, especially Forest. Also, the guy has been chasing Wesker across the globe. Who actively pursues a superhuman archnemesis, knowing that the guy could easily wipe the floor with you?! Actually, that may be a mental illness...it's like chasing your own death. Either that, or Chris possesses the kickass spirit of his action hero brothers like Douglas Quaid, John Matrix, and Dutch Schaeffer.

I'm supposed to believe that Chris, a guy who uses his bare fists to make majini heads explode, is some sort of crying douchenozzle post-Kijuju?! A suicidal one at that. I just don't buy it. I'd be fine if these crap videos weren't declared canon. If this is indeed true, then what kind of ending can we expect for the game itself?

Last...it is only insult to injury knowing that a certain other character can go into Spain solo, wipe out half the nation's populace, then show up unaffected to face airport related bioterror. And all he suffered was a scratch across his cheek and the loss of even more personality.

Kudos, Capcom. Love your games, hate your handling of characters.
          i know, it makes no sense at all, if seeing Kenneth die made Chris sigh and then forget about him 5 minutes later. then why , 10 years later, after all his experiance fighting zombies and seeing death and killing majini's, does he suddenly start crying?

and it also makes no sense that in the classics Chris was normal and non roided, and still had his mind together and could think properly. but now in RE5, he's the fricking hulk, with huge roid arms, but his sensitive little mind will get scared and he will start crying after being to scared.

and Leon going through Spain unaffected just makes this all the more stupid.

Comment

How is showing Chris's human side "ruining the character"?

I really don't understand you people. First you bitch about how Leon is super-human with no emotions at all, then you bitch about Chris actually having emotions and having PTS after he had gone through a living hell (Kijuju, where your enemies aren't just zombies - corpses that comes to life, they are living people, infected with something that makes them all violent and crazy), after he (possibly) killed his arch-enemy he'd been hunt for ten years now etc.

I really prefer character to act like this than like Leon, who, after surviving the events in RE4 (including being infected with a parasite and killing his long lost friend), starts to hit on his support; I really prefer my character to become depressed than go "OK, we survived a nightmare, so now let's go and take down Umbrella" (ie. let's get involved into another nightmare).

Not to mention, in the opening (at least I believe it's from the opening) of RE5 Chris states himself "More and more I find myself wondering, if it's all worth fighting for". It's not this Chris Redfield from Code Veronica, who after killing a giant dragon-fly like Alexia-monster, and being beaten by Wesker goes "It's not over yet. Yeah. It's payback time. We've got to destroy Umbrella, now. Let's finish this finish this once and for all!".

i know, it makes no sense at all, if seeing Kenneth die made Chris sigh and then forget about him 5 minutes later. then why , 10 years later, after all his experiance fighting zombies and seeing death and killing majini's, does he suddenly start crying?
            Maybe because the former one was what didn't make sense at all, not the later one.
            Jill didn't give shit about Barry pointing a magnum at point-blank range at her head two minutes after the scene (she was "ok, let's split up" again) - was that normal too according to you? Just because previous RE got bad scenarios and undeveloped characters means it must be that all the time?
            Last edited by Mr_Zombie; 02-19-2009, 03:55 AM.

Comment

I'd say that Spoiler:

Comment

Personally, I don't have an issue with that they are doing to Chris. It seems appropriate to me, and I like seeing a character suffer from the effects of a traumatic situation. It doesn't make you a weak person just because you grieve.

However, that doesn't mean I like the way they are executing the episodes. These videos could've been done a lot better instead of the same ole repetitive display of SITUATION >> LIGHT >> FLASHBACKS >> CHRIS MOPING. It sort of got boring at the second episode.

What I do like about these videos is that they show Chris trying to move on with his life (going on a date in the second episode, hanging out with Claire in the third). I don't really get the point of this fourth episode, except to extend the message that Chris is all messed-up, but was that really necessary?

In any case, I think these videos would be more emotional if they had been released after RE5. Since, to me, it's obvious Chris is traumatized by whatever happened with Jill, these videos would have more affect if they focused on that rather than just hinting around at it. When the episodes start showing "flashbacks" (the in-game scenes) it seems like it would be more suitable had they used the cutscenes that involve Wesker and Jill--but they obviously can't show us all of that because the game hasn't been released yet. It really downplays what could've been a lot of emotion in these videos.

Comment

Does the site just fail to load for anyone else? It started screwing up around Phase 3, didn't count my page hits and then just failed to load. Anyone else have this problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Zombie View Post

I really don't understand you people. First you bitch about how Leon is super-human with no emotions at all, then you bitch about Chris actually having emotions and having PTS after he had gone through a living hell (Kijuju, where your enemies aren't just zombies - corpses that comes to life, they are living people, infected with something that makes them all violent and crazy), after he (possibly) killed his arch-enemy he'd been hunt for ten years now etc.

I really prefer character to act like this than like Leon, who, after surviving the events in RE4 (including being infected with a parasite and killing his long lost friend), starts to hit on his support; I really prefer my character to become depressed than go "OK, we survived a nightmare, so now let's go and take down Umbrella" (ie. let's get involved into another nightmare).

Not to mention, in the opening (at least I believe it's from the opening) of RE5 Chris states himself "More and more I find myself wondering, if it's all worth fighting for". It's not this Chris Redfield from Code Veronica, who after killing a giant dragon-fly like Alexia-monster, and being beaten by Wesker goes "It's not over yet. Yeah. It's payback time. We've got to destroy Umbrella, now. Let's finish this finish this once and for all!".

Maybe because the former one was what didn't make sense at all, not the later one.
                    Jill didn't give shit about Barry pointing a magnum at point-blank range at her head two minutes after the scene (she was "ok, let's split up" again) - was that normal too according to you? Just because previous RE got bad scenarios and undeveloped characters means it must be that all the time?
                    Do me. Please.

(by which I mean I agree wholeheartedly)

Not to mention, just in the general case of going from what he said at the end of CV to what he says at the presumed start of RE5, any normal human could change their attitude in the time span between the games. After all, we're under the impression that Spoiler:

Comment

I agree with that...

Spoiler:

Comment

Poor Chris tryinf to end his life he's really messed up in his mind I wound if this will affect Chris in the future of Resident evil series.

Comment

These clips look like outtakes from a Funeral For a Friend music video.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Zombie View Post

My problem with this whole viral campaign is that it's just that...a viral campaign. The whole idea is "Fear you can't forget." That's it. They're just trying to convey that tagline in video form. Why do I have a problem with that? Because from all indications in previews, hands-ons and reviews, and from what I've seen in the demo, the game isn't gonna be all that scary.

I'll try to reserve judgment on Chris's behavior in the viral videos until A. there is 100% confirmation that they're canon and B. I play through RE5 and see if Chris actually has a legitimate reason to be this disturbed. Something absolutely heartbreaking and mindnumbing and ridiculous needs to happen to Chris in RE5 to turn him into the absolute mental cripple that he is in these viral videos.
                            Last edited by Vector; 02-19-2009, 12:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisRedfield29 View Post
                              My problem with this whole viral campaign is that it's just that...a viral campaign. The whole idea is "Fear you can't forget." That's it. They're just trying to convey that tagline in video form. Why do I have a problem with that? Because from all indications in previews, hands-ons and reviews, and from what I've seen in the demo, the game isn't gonna be all that scary.

I'll try to reserve judgment on Chris's behavior in the viral videos until A. there is 100% confirmation that they're canon and B. I play through RE5 and see if Chris actually has a legitimate reason to be this disturbed. Something absolutely heartbreaking and mindnumbing and ridiculous needs to happen to Chris in RE5 to turn him into the absolute mental cripple that he is in these viral videos.
                              i tought you would be more pissed since you are his number 1 fan(the name shows me you are)

i mean chris has seen worst and he wants "suicide" i hate this vids it makes him look weak and i agree with you

Comment

I agree with CR29 too. The viral videos want to back up the "Fear you can't forget" tagline.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X