First "Silent Hill Downpour" Details from Game Informer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First "Silent Hill Downpour" Details from Game Informer

The new Game Informer magazine has some details on the forthcoming Silent Hill game from Vatra Games, first off the game has been titled "Downpour". Here's the key points revealed in the magazine.

- Puzzle difficulty selection returns.
    - Takes place in South-eastern Silent Hill, an area never explored before.
    - Main character Murphy can only carry one weapon at a time, and the weapons break like Origins.
    - No story connections to any previous Silent Hill games.
    - Multiple endings.
    - Previous series trademarks like hospitals and schools will not return.

Info courtesy of SH Downloads
    Last edited by A-J; 01-07-2011, 10:55 PM.

Yay for puzzle difficulty selection, yay for a return to tradational combat, yay for multiple endings, bleh to weapon hold and damage, bleh to "new south east SH area" and bleh to schools/hospital connections (I don't expect them but if the shoe fits the story then it should have something). Everything else I'm indifferent about otherwise, including any connections.

Visually it's not bad, definently the look is like that of Silent Hill 2 you can tell they have been going for.

Comment

50/50 feeling on this.
      Facebook | Myspace | PlayStation | Raptr | Steam | Twitter | Xbox Live | Xfire | Youtube

Comment

Well let's just hope the gameplay is more refined than in SH5. The story premise so far isn't that interesting but I'm still excited for the game.

Comment

Seems interesting.

Comment

Oh joy. One weapon...that breaks after hitting one enemy very lightly. That's not going to be at all frustrating or annoying. It reads like an artificial way to increase the tension by making fighting difficult and pointless. You'll just need to dodge around them and the design will be incorperated in.

Less impressed than I was earlier. No connection to Silent Hill's previous games is fine...SH2 and the Room weren't exactly linked to the previous stuff. Mutliple endings is also good. And while I agree they didn't need to go to a fourth hospital in Silent Hill, I think they could have crammed in another school somewhere.

The weapon thing is a real killer for me. I hated the system in Origins. I don't care how hard a monster's skull in, a lead pipe doesn't break after being swung three times. The idea of being able to carry only one truly shitty weapon at a time just makes me wanna weep.

Comment

Soooo... why is it called Silent Hill?

No story connections isn't really fine. SH2 and The Room were still connected to the events of SH1 because without the events of SH1, none of that shit would have gone down. Whole point was to show and expand upon the power of the town itself and its history.
              Last edited by News Bot; 01-08-2011, 04:26 AM.
              PROJECT Umbrella - The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium

Comment

What platform is this on, another handheld game?

Comment

Silent hill´s fame ended after 3 game els its been down hill from there

Comment

What a horrible name, I'm sure it will be shit just like the other recent ones saddly

Comment

Originally posted by News Bot View Post
                      Soooo... why is it called Silent Hill?

No story connections isn't really fine. SH2 and The Room were still connected to the events of SH1 because without the events of SH1, none of that shit would have gone down. Whole point was to show and expand upon the power of the town itself and its history.
                      I assume it'll be the same level of connection, in that without the first game this wouldn't be happening. If it's completely disconnected, then yeah, screw 'em. In other words, you can play this game without playing the others and not get lost.

Of course, I'm taking bets on how long it'll be before Pyramid Head shows up...

Comment

Originally posted by A-J View Post

The new Game Informer magazine has some details on the forthcoming Silent Hill game from Vatra Games, first off the game has been titled "Downpour". Here's the key points revealed in the magazine.

- Puzzle difficulty selection returns.
                        - Main character Murphy can only carry one weapon at a time, and the weapons break like Origins.
                        - Multiple endings.
                        in this order
                        yay
                        yay
                        damn/fuck
                        good idea
                        yay
                        MOTHER(BLEEP)!!!

Comment

Originally posted by milanm View Post
                          What platform is this on, another handheld game?

PS3/360 and maybe PC

Comment

I read there isn't actually a weapon inventory, so it is just pick up stuff to fight and drop it when need do anything else I would guess. Also read quick time event boss fights.

I have as much faith in this as I did in Shattered Memories. None.
                            Beanovsky Durst - "They are not pervs. They are japanese."

Comment

Ok, that's it. Game companies need to stop trying to change everything we love about these sort of series of games. I'm excited we'll get to see a new part of Silent Hill, but Origins was so frustrating with the weapons. I ended up fighting most enemies with my fists in that game, but at least it had some kind of inventory. Only being able to carry one weapon at a time is going to be a real drag, as on your first play through you have no idea what to use and that can put you at an extreme disadvantage. I know these games aren't meant to be easy and people like a challenge, but when the fault lies purely with a poor combat system it will do nothing but annoy people and make them shut off the game. Seems like a cheap stab at suspense that will be nothing more than a nuisance.

Not going to get my hopes up for this one. I think there's more chance of DmC being a semi-decent game...

Ok, even that's a stretch.

Comment

Working...
                              X