No announcement yet.

Resident Evil: Raccoon City announced [Officially confirmed: Post 273]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The fact that this game is in another timeline makes it more easy to enjoy for me. I really don't want Capcom screwing RE2/3 timeline. Waiting for the trailer, hope it comes soon.

Comment

• At first I did not want this, but like the poster above, I am glad it is seen like an alternate universe. Kinda like DC Comics and the multiverse, such as Crisis on Infinite Earths, but Resident Evil.

Definitely Excited! And I just can't Hide it! I'm about to lose control and I think I like it...ok I'm done

Comment

• I should precise that Kawata didn't say that Operation Raccoon city was not part of the canon in the interview. In fact, he said quite the contrary. He said that it entirely fits in the chronology of the series.

I guess that the game may have an official course of events that fits with RE2 and RE3, but we will have the opportunity to change the official story if we want to (by killing Leon, for instance).

Comment

• Say, did anyone actually play the first games? You know, the whole deal with multiple endings, A / B scenarios and such?

Comment

• Exactly, there must be multiple endings and alternative cut-scenes depending on your actions in Operation Raccoon city. But judging by the article and the interviews, the game totally fits in the RE timeline. They also said in the article that the game will shed some lights on the U.S.S history and on what was going behind the scenes during RE2.

Comment

• Originally posted by Grem View Post
              I should precise that Kawata didn't say that Operation Raccoon city was not part of the canon in the interview. In fact, he said quite the contrary. He said that it entirely fits in the chronology of the series.

I guess that the game may have an official course of events that fits with RE2 and RE3, but we will have the opportunity to change the official story if we want to (by killing Leon, for instance).
              You are confusing "chronology" with "mythology". This game is on the same footing as the drama albums, novels (S.D. Perry and Osamu Makino), cell phone games and comic books. It's a spin-off.

Kawata wouldn't really know dick about the series canon anyway, he is not a writer and his most involved projects happen to be UC and DC, which twist the canon into an unrecognizable mess.

I find it interesting that the magazine actually mentions Miguel, Derek and Conrad. Those 3 characters are "File 3" characters that can only be unlocked with a cheat device. If they ever explain their backgrounds I'll be amazed. Miguel was the only U.S.S. member in HUNK's A(lpha) and B(ravo) teams to survive the attack by 'G'.
              Last edited by News Bot; 03-29-2011, 09:34 AM.
              PROJECT Umbrella - The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium

Comment

• Yes, I confused the two, but Kawata also said that ORC corresponded completely with the Mythology of the series.

I was just pointing out that the bit translated in English "it's not entirely part of the canon" is not true. The original french interview didn't say that.

Comment

• The sources I listed correspond completely with the mythology of the series. That doesn't make them part of the canon storyline. Being in the mythology means very little.

Comment

• Maybe, the article makes it clear, though, that we will see what is the reason behind some events of RE2, that we will see what did the U.S.S while Leon and the others are completely oblivious of their presence.

I think they really want to make ORC part of the canon, but only time will tell anyway.
                    Last edited by Grem; 03-29-2011, 09:48 AM.

Comment

• They have already retconned the U.S.S. to be an amalgamation of the U.S.S., Under Taker unit and Monitors, I think that's enough to decide that they should keep it out of the canon. Also changed the purpose of the U.S. Army Special Forces and rewrote the entire corporate political angle presented in BH3.

Plus, we already know all of the events behind BH2. And the U.S.S. were dead during the events of the game. The only other presence of the group is of the U.S.S. 2nd Squad in Outbreak which we didn't really get to see. We only know of a few members (Rodriguez, Conrad, Derek, Miguel, Luke) and the majority of the squad became zombies. And they didn't look like spastic rejects from a generic sci-fi game.
                      Last edited by News Bot; 03-29-2011, 09:59 AM.

Comment

• God, News Bot did you actually ever play RE1, RE2 and RE3 yourself? NO RE GAME WAS EVER FULLY CANON. Each game, especially RE1 and RE2 are a combination of all scenarios present in a game. For example, I always imagined that in real canon Chris and Jill were ALWAYS together. Or in RE2 was Ada really killed by Mr X or did she fell? We find out what real canon is only from books, files, guides or by ourselves if none of above exists. Most RE games are like a tale, a legend... Only 60-90% of what happens in a game actually happens in "real". That's why I came to like RE in the first place. That nice deliberate lack of certainty. To me it's obviously canon, beyond questions. You could kill Leon in RE4 by dying. it doesn't make this canon. Same is here. You CAN kill Leon, but it's not canon. Or you can play as Spec Ops, kill USS butchers, save Leon and FIT canon. Easy.

Comment

• News bot : Not necessarily out of the canon, yet. Until we get the whole story of the game, I would not already labelled it as not canon. We may find some new informations that could possibly justify what seems to be retconned.

There's a high possibility that when the game comes out, you will find some interesting new informations that you would like to add to the canon. I'm not saying it's canon for sure, but I don't want to label it as non-canon too quick, either.
                          Last edited by Grem; 03-29-2011, 10:14 AM.

Comment

• WOW where you get that BS info? WHO said or officially confirmed that USS now is all 3 in 1? Dont put your theories as a fact please. And retconning can be, and usually is, canon. REmake for ex added Lisa Trevor and a few additional events, yet it's canon. So why not do the same with USS, USA goals in RC in RE2 and 3?

Comment

• mmm the guy form the resident evil twitter said it was canon.

Comment

• Originally posted by Thanatos-R View Post
                                God, News Bot did you actually ever play RE1, RE2 and RE3 yourself? NO RE GAME WAS EVER FULLY CANON. Each game, especially RE1 and RE2 are a combination of all scenarios present in a game. For example, I always imagined that in real canon Chris and Jill were ALWAYS together. Or in RE2 was Ada really killed by Mr X or did she fell? We find out what real canon is only from books, files, guides or by ourselves if none of above exists. Most RE games are like a tale, a legend... Only 60-90% of what happens in a game actually happens in "real". That's why I came to like RE in the first place. That nice deliberate lack of certainty. To me it's obviously canon, beyond questions. You could kill Leon in RE4 by dying. it doesn't make this canon. Same is here. You CAN kill Leon, but it's not canon. Or you can play as Spec Ops, kill USS butchers, save Leon and FIT canon. Easy.
                                BH1 is a combination. BH2 is Claire A/Leon B (though Leon somehow gets Sherry's pendant and throws it away for HUNK to retrieve later). The Secret Reports in BH5 confirmed that Chris and Jill operated independently during the events of BH1. Ada was never dead in the first place, she shows up later in the game and gives Leon a rocket launcher to blow the Tyrant that smashed her into the panel to pieces. Her death was never a mystery, although they obviously tried to portray it as such.

What I'm saying though is that Operation Raccoon City outright freely contradicts the series canon in bizarre ways. And Leon isn't the only one (and I don't use him as an example either, because I already know it's a simple gameplay mechanic). Like I said, they've rewritten the U.S.S. for little reason and changed the U.S. Army Special Forces (all of whom are killed by Tyrants, while a few survivors manage to reach the Raccoon General Hospital but get minced in the lobby) and the interaction between Umbrella and the U.S. government has been dumbed down to painful degrees.

You are right that most of what happens in the game is basically legend, though. Glad someone else actually sees that. Hopefully Operation Raccoon City is no different from the Chronicles games and has files that are actually relevant (and for bonus points; state that the events of the game were nonsense).

WOW where you get that BS info? WHO said or officially confirmed that USS now is all 3 in 1? Dont put your theories as a fact please. And retconning can be, and usually is, canon. REmake for ex added Lisa Trevor and a few additional events, yet it's canon. So why not do the same with USS, USA goals in RC in RE2 and 3?
                                Umm...

Sent only to top-secret missions with a hazard ratio of A plus-class, the Umbrella "Cleaner" also called Umbrella "Trashsweeper" is a disposable unit for destroying evidence. Their mission consists of two steps: erase all the witnesses and then blow up the target area.
                                Stated to be the objective of the U.S.S. in Operation Raccoon City. Meanwhile, the Monitors are responsible for retrieving or destroying sensitive documents and materials related to Umbrella, as well as destroying places with such links, and carrying out assassinations. Nicholai's appearance in Outbreak outlines what is also said to be the objective of the U.S.S. in Operation Raccoon City. So, like I said, they've virtually combined them.

Also, Lisa was an addition, not a retcon, and REmake was a replacement game (and was also not a retcon by normal standards, it didn't really change anything, only added). These things are outright scrap-and-change. Hence, retcons.
                                Last edited by News Bot; 03-29-2011, 10:28 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X