Resident Evil Revelations News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Archelon View Post
    To be fair, REmake is probably the least cheeseball game in the series. It has its moments, but it doesn't take itself so seriously that the B-movie trappings don't feel as out of place as they do in, say, Resident Evil 5.

With CODE: Veronica, it was more an issue of terrible voice acting than anything else. Resident Evil 5, on the other hand, had relatively decent voice acting, so that isn't so much of a factor.
    CV really suffered from the VO, especially Steve, and I find Wesker almost "cliche villian" sounding. At least in 5 I felt he had some personality. I would also say some of the plot in CV was really out there, hell, just the cross dressing alone struck me as absurd.

Comment

• See, I don't know. I always felt like Richard Waugh managed to make Wesker feel menacing, even with some of the utterly ridiculous lines he had to read for the role. D.C. Douglas, on the other hand, was hamming it up the whole way through RE5.

Now, to be fair, there's only so much even a good voice actor can do with a terrible script (Nolan North in Resonance of Fate immediately springs to mind), and given Wesker's overall personality in RE5, I can't say I really blame Douglas for laying on the cheese. Even so, I think Waugh managed to make it work slightly better than Douglas, though Douglas obviously did the best he could with what he was given.

Waugh just brought a certain sense of gravitas, if you will, to the role that I think the character's other VA's have lacked.

And yes, CODE: Veronica's story was just plain bizarre, even by Resident Evil standards.
      Last edited by Archelon; 07-05-2011, 04:33 PM.

Comment

• I forgot Waugh did voice work in more than just CV. That's the one that mostly comes to mind since I remember it being very stilted. But in REmake, 0 and 4 I thought Wesker was one of the better realized characters.

I do like Douglas's work though, despite the character himself being fairly cheesy in that game, the voice work itself was very solid.

I have no doubt Wesker will be back in another game though, so who knows if Capcom will keep Douglas or find another voice actor.

Comment

• Originally posted by DarkMemories View Post
          Time to debunk the stereotype of Leon never showing emotion. What does the entire sequence where he hides in the house prior to Dr. Salvador's arrival tell you? If you answered anything else but worry and surprise, you haven't played RE4 in forever. Does he not get worried every time Ashley is caught? Does he not get angry when he confronted with certain death (falling ceiling trap)? Does he not show fear when he meets Bitores for the first time after his earlier failure to subdue him? Is he not still naive enough to fall for all of Ada's tricks?
          This is very true - I'd forgotten that, and I admit, the last time I played RE4 was when it was released on the Wii. I don't remember him being worried every time Ashley gets captured, but he does seem concerned during Dr Salvador's initial appearance. It seems like so long as he doesn't have to talk to others in a scene, he has more emotion on display.

Which isn't to say all is forgiven. There's still a good number of occasions when he really should have been worried and he just...isn't. El Gigante gets a look of, 'Huh?' and a back flip away from his attack. And then there are the many, many one liners. I get it's an attempt at bravado - it's just too much. It stopped being funny around the castle.

Comment

• Peter Jessop was the best VA for Wesker.
            See you in hell.

Comment

• I've actually always quite liked Peter Jessop. I'm always going back and forth about whether I prefer Jessop or Waugh.

On the whole, I think the REmake voice actors are my favorites for their respective characters.

Comment

• Save for the original VA, I like the sound of every actor's voice for Wesker. I enjoy Waugh's evil David Bowie take, and I adore DC's humor with the character. But my favorite is Jessop. I think he sounded the most natural with the character. He gave Wesker a.. sleazy feel to his voice and demeanor. Like a slimy 80's movie villain. I could watch Wesker's speech in the REmake's Jill ending all day. * u*..
                sigpic

Comment

• I'm definitely with the proponents of Peter Jessop. He played the character as well as it needed to be without the tacked on accent, which still just grinds at me. While the VAs all did a fine job, the other two prominent ones still have to work with that accent.

Comment

• Richard Waugh is the ideal Wesker voice. Your hear that voice and it immediately draws you to Wesker.

With DC's voice it draws to other roles he's done or working on like that of Soul Calibur 4, NieR or Motorstorm: Apocalypse.

About the only break him and Peter Jessop have is their respectable roles in the Mass Effect series, but then again special modifications and enhancements were made to make them sound more alien and less human when it came to Sovereign and Legion. Although Jessop did have this little gem of a character in Mass Effect.

EDIT: Richard Waugh is such a badass that he has Sally Cahill (Ada Wong) serve him breakfast. No Sally, you will give him an egg!
                    Last edited by Smiley; 07-06-2011, 05:08 PM.

Comment

• Ironic, isn't it? That he was fired.

And replaced by D.C. Douglas!
                      See you in hell.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr. Spencer View Post
                        Ironic, isn't it? That he was fired.

And replaced by D.C. Douglas!
                        Jessop replaced him in REmake. You know what happened? He came back full throttle.

DC will learn and feel his wrath one day.

Comment

• I never understood why they replaced him in Umbrella Chronicles if he had already recorded all of the lines anyway. Wouldn't they still have to pay him for that work, even though they weren't going to use it?

Comment

• Same thing for Sally Cahill. I mean they brought her back for Darkside and still use Alyson Court so the L.A. casting overhaul is all out of whack. This is the one instance where Canada isn't to blame.

Comment

• Did Sally Cahill record lines for Umbrella Chronicles? I thought it was just Waugh.

Comment

• I believe it is something to do with unions. Capcom didn't wanna use anyone in one.
                                Beanovsky Durst - "They are not pervs. They are japanese."

Comment

Working...
                                X