No announcement yet.

Recently Seen Films

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• But then like I said, that's points for creativity. Which wouldn't really be considered a part of the acting itself, I don't think. And frankly, it was different, it was creative, but I didn't find his mannerisms to be that interesting. I much rather prefer Nicholson.

Comment

• Wait, so despite lavishing praise there, you actually prefer Nicholson's terribly unoriginal version that was copied off the campy TV series? He's one of my favorite actors, but the performance was barely a step up from a cartoon.

I'm interested in hearing your opinion there.

Comment

• Well, the part is the part. I mean, that's the thing. Yes, you have the actor on the campy TV series, and you have Nicholson. The character might be the same, but then the actor is different. And even if the actor is playing the same part, it can come off as very different. I didn't think he was anything like Cesar Romero.
        I mean, Nicholson himself, I think has something about him that gives off this aura of creepiness. What Nicholson did with Joker might not have been new, or original, but it was much more effective, coming FROM Nicholson.

And frankly, Batman (the original movie) was very stylized. The new Batman is a lot more realism based (hence the horribly ugly new Batmobile, which is made to be functional). But with the original Batman, it was made almost like a film noir. It was set in the... 40s? I think. It had gangsters with pinstripe suits and fedoras, it had... Remember Joker's revolver? The movie itself was stylized, so it didn't have to be something new and original. It just had to be effective, which it was. Nicholson might not have innovated Joker, but he still executed it very well.

Comment

• That's the thing, he didn't come of that different from Romero... BUT, with the makeup on, Nicholson did look like the comic book incarnation more than the others. There is that one particular moment when he kills his boss, reads the paper and says: "Wait until they get a load of me". Very true to form.

Burton's take, while great, had the flaw of characterizing Batman as someone who does the job by any means. The killing didn't quite sit well, and Burton flat out stinks as an action director. Overall, it was still a really good movie.

It wasn't set in the 40's, but in an ambiguous period appropriately. Nolan's approach, as you said, is realistic and true to today's comic version. Something I hope the next Superman will be.

Comment

• Burton might not be the best action director, but he did a good job with Batman and Batman Returns. It wasn't about the action, and mad ninja skills.
            Although part of the reason was that Batman's suit weighed 70lbs. Keaton isn't exactly a power house.

All I'm saying was that aside from coming up with the unique mannerism, there was nothing spectacular about Ledger's part. Not something I'd give an Oscar for anyway. Like I said, I can do what he did, if you put makeup and a camera on me. But I am an actor.

Comment

• i just saw Wanted.

it was pretty good, but after watching it i realised how stupid it was and how many plot holes there was, but still a good movie.

8/10

but i just cant see how shooting a single bullet that goes around in a circle and kills everyone in the room yet angelina jolee still has enough time to throw the gun the main guy before it comes back to her.
              Last edited by missvalentine; 12-14-2008, 04:31 AM.

Comment

• Wanted has to be the fakest, yet most entertaining movie this year.

Comment

• Gotta love those Russian directors.

Comment

• Originally posted by Helegad View Post
                    Wanted has to be the fakest, yet most entertaining movie this year.
                    true, just like the RE movies kinda, there stupid, but entertaining.

and yeah definitely the fakest, only thing i didn't like was there was no real explanation on how they bend the bullets, unless i missed something.

Comment

• Felon with val kilmer awsome awsome dark dark prison movie
                      its very good il give it 8/10

Comment

• Felon was great, I liked it a lot.

Saw Gran Torino. The movie wouldnt have been even in the same league if it wasnt for Clint Eastwood. Its an excellent picture, and even though some of the supporting cast cant act at all, the movie was still great, inspiring and just amazing.

Easily a 9/10

Comment

• i just saw rocky 2 what can i say classic

10/10

Comment

• Horton hears a Who! Very nice animated movie (not Wall E caliber mind you), and I was pleasantly surprise to see that Jim Carrey didn't over-do his part; in fact his improvisation made some parts quite charming.

Originally posted by Biohazard EX View Post
                            Although part of the reason was that Batman's suit weighed 70lbs. Keaton isn't exactly a power house.
                            Small part. Burton is a genius, but he just can't do action nor does he have to. Returns was his vision 100%, and while it was an enjoyable movie, it didn't portray Batman very well. That's where Nolan's movies shine.

Like I said, I can do what he did, if you put makeup and a camera on me. But I am an actor.
                            Well, there are many actors out there and they're not on the same level. All of them can do parts, but that doesn't mean they can do them well.

Comment

• The Day The Earth Stood Still

It was an alright movie at the cinema, nothing more in my opinion. Haven't seen the classic version.
                              Freedom of Information.

Comment

• Originally posted by Umon Daisuke View Post
                                Horton hears a Who! Very nice animated movie (not Wall E caliber mind you), and I was pleasantly surprise to see that Jim Carrey didn't over-do his part; in fact his improvisation made some parts quite charming.

Small part. Burton is a genius, but he just can't do action nor does he have to. Returns was his vision 100%, and while it was an enjoyable movie, it didn't portray Batman very well. That's where Nolan's movies shine.

Well, there are many actors out there and they're not on the same level. All of them can do parts, but that doesn't mean they can do them well.
                                Either way, I found Burton's Batman movies a lot more enjoyable than Begins and Dark Knight. They had that certain Burton style... You know, like many of Burton's classic movies before he picked up a habit of putting Johnny Depp into EVERYTHING he does.

Comment

Working...
                                X