X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TheBatMan
    replied
    Originally posted by Dracarys View Post
    None of these people have any say over what is canon.
    Except they do. Fox has given Scott and Jon Sphatis free reign to create an Alien prequel. At no time did Fox say they had to abide by what happened in the AVP films. If they had then there is no way Scott would have took the job given his feelings on the subject. They have re-written the backstory of Weyland Yutani and thrown Anderson's contributions out of the window, thus thankfully consigning it to the realms of irrelevancy when it comes to Alien canon.

As much as I despise resurrection, unfortunately it has its place in the canon, but thanks to Prometheus the AVP films do not. Even if Prometheus turns out to be bad, we will always be thankful for that at least.
    Last edited by TheBatMan; 05-27-2012, 10:56 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Darkmoon
    replied
    Agreed, but such is the reality - the owner decides.

Which is why I intend to keep owning any works I create...

Leave a comment:

• News Bot
    replied
    Originally posted by Darkmoon View Post
    Quite possibly not. As I understand it's the owner, not the creator, who decides...although of course many fans will take the creator's word as W.O.G regardless of what the owner says.

So Mikami could say RE5 is non-cannon, but Capcom would point and laugh. Fans would be divided.
    If the owner is dumb as fuck, I'd be more inclined to go with the creator.

Leave a comment:

• Darkmoon
    replied
    Originally posted by News Bot View Post
    The creators of a franchise have no say over what their storyline is?
    Quite possibly not. As I understand it's the owner, not the creator, who decides...although of course many fans will take the creator's word as W.O.G regardless of what the owner says.

So Mikami could say RE5 is non-cannon, but Capcom would point and laugh. Fans would be divided.

Leave a comment:

• News Bot
    replied
    Originally posted by Dracarys View Post
    The creators of a franchise have no say over what their storyline is?

Leave a comment:

• Dracarys
    replied

Leave a comment:

• rehunk88
    replied
    I dont think alien 4 is a bad movie... specialy that underwater scene ... amazing filmed.

Leave a comment:

• Dark_Chris
    replied
    For Ridley and Cameron ALien saga ends with Alien 3. While back I read an interview with Cameron somewhere (can't remember where right now) where he said that.

Leave a comment:

• [STARS]TyranT
    replied
    I remember the day I read Alien 5 got put on indefinate hold an AVP got greenlit, a dark day for cinema.

Nice to see Ridley say that - does he include Alien 3 though would we say? At least to see Ripley go through a trilogy - or is he specific and say that for all intents, the Alien saga ends with Aliens?

Leave a comment:

• Wrathborne
    replied
    I remember the old news, I just cant figure out Batmans sentence structure...Its driving my dyslexic mind crazy, I cant tell if its me or the sentence!

Leave a comment:

• Darkmoon
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Wrathborne
    replied
    Of course, it's no secret that Anderson's film also put paid to a Scott directed Alien 5 produced and written by Jim Cameron.

Um....what?

Leave a comment:

• TheBatMan
    replied
    Just to put the final nail in the coffin with regards AVP's canonicity to the series here is a direct quote from Ridders himself.

I don't count the last few movies. I know why they did it: to promote the franchise and, hello, it's about money. This is not denigrating any filmmaker, because it is hard enough, God knows. But I really was a little bit upset by how my baby was being misused. We came up with one of the best all-time monsters. Without that monster, I've got a nice, very well-acted, beautifully art-directed movie, but I ain't got that fucking heart-stopping son of a bitch that defies logic.
    Source: http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/n...equel-20120523

Of course, it's no secret that Anderson's film also put paid to a Scott directed Alien 5 produced and written by Jim Cameron. Cameron had even started working on the story with another writer before Fox greenlit Anderson's film instead.

I watched Paul Anderson's making of docs on AVP the other night and the audacity of some of the things he comes out with is quite astonsihing. Whilst he seems a likeable guy and he has obvious passion for his work, it is easy to see how he rubs people up the wrong way.

He honestly believes Weyland-Yutani know about the ship in Alien because of what happens in his crummy cross-over film.

He states on the audio commentary about the Predators and that the Preds in P1 and P2 were more inexperienced than the Preds in his film. If his Preds are just teenagers, then the ones in P1 and P2 are just kids apparently.

He doesn't just state these things as assumption, he states them as fact and god it does my head in.
    Last edited by TheBatMan; 05-24-2012, 05:56 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Dark_Chris
    replied
    Not a Prometheus releated news, but IGN has posted a video preview of Aliens: Colonial Marines http://www.ign.com/videos/2012/05/20...player-preview

Leave a comment:

• News Bot
    replied
    I've been on a media blackout regarding this movie since it's announcement. I am hoping it pays off. Will see it day one.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X