Resident Evil: Behind the Mask [+Hazardous Battle]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Gemini View Post
    The problem is Neptune was never meant to be a boss, he's more like an easy obstacle that can instantly kill you.
    And that is why he's lame
    Even so, it would be much cooler if he at least didn't flop around and was still dangerous.
    Even something simple like allowing him to drag himself around with his front fins, like some prehistoric fish, and do a short lunging bite.
    That would be a great bonus.
    Last edited by Vanya; 12-31-2014, 05:42 AM.

Comment

• I loved the simplicity of the original Neptune encounter. Seeing it flap around helplessly when the water was gone and then the bright blood running across the cool concrete floor after taking it out with a single shot was both beautiful and brutal.
      "Stories of imagination tend to upset those without one."

Comment

• Originally posted by Vanya View Post
        And that is why he's lame
        Even so, it would be much cooler if he at least didn't flop around and was still dangerous.
        Even something simple like allowing him to drag himself around with his front fins, like some prehistoric fish, and do a short lunging bite.
        That would be a great bonus.
        If I were to remake RE1 with updated assets I wouldn't mind implementing a Neptune revision closer to what REmake got, but since Hazardous Battle is a plain arcade game I'm not even sure about including him at all. It's not like Neptune really fits anywhere in here. The way he was originally designed makes him a mere obstacle that is meant to surprise the player unaware of immortality stuff.
        Last edited by Gemini; 12-31-2014, 09:26 AM.

Resident Evil: Behind the Mask twitter
        , also in Facebookian flavor for great justice.

Comment

• If the system could handle it, maybe you can do two or three Neptunes in the Aqua Ring instead of just one plus the babies.
          sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Chris' Boob View Post
            If the system could handle it, maybe you can do two or three Neptunes in the Aqua Ring instead of just one plus the babies.
            I think it's very possible. The babies are nothing more than a scaled down Neptune, plus the whole polycount can be massively decreased by untriangulating the original PSX models. I don't remember the exact amount of faces Neptune has, but if I could pull off four T-002 in a room with no lag, five sharks shouldn't be a problem. The real question is: how to make them worth a damn? Unless I turn them into a huge pain in the ass that constantly follows you around the Aqua Ring.
            Last edited by Gemini; 12-31-2014, 12:05 PM.

Comment

• You could add in a leap attack, like what the crocs do in OB File 2. Maybe even have them swim faster at you when you shoot them. Just don't make them too annoyingly accurate and agressive. That was my major grievance with the enemies in File 2, especially the zombie animals. Honestly though, it'd be nice if you could implement a few surprise moves for all enemy types, since most people who'll play HB would have probably played the classics already and would be familiar with the enemy attack patterns. Make the Tyrant be able to grab you by the neck, have the dogs be able to bite you by the arm or do that neck bite attack from 1.5 more often, etc.
              Seibu teh geimu?
              ---

Comment

• I'm pretty sure this has been addressed already, but any chance of seeing some dinosaurs just for fun? Dino Crisis 2 was very arcade like, it's weapons, enemies and gameplay features would make for a lot of fun in a battle format like this one.

Comment

If I were to remake RE1 with updated assets
                  As a matter a fact I was about to ask that! Taken the fact that the team has done a wonderful job, it would be amazing if we were about to see a definite RE1 influenced by all other versions and variations. I wish you could consider this possibility.
                  Originally posted by Gemini View Post
                  I wouldn't mind implementing a Neptune revision closer to what REmake got
                  Actually you could do that for Behind the mask, neptune should be a welcome addition.

Happy new year folks!

Comment

• Originally posted by biohazard_star View Post
                    Honestly though, it'd be nice if you could implement a few surprise moves for all enemy types, since most people who'll play HB would have probably played the classics already and would be familiar with the enemy attack patterns. Make the Tyrant be able to grab you by the neck, have the dogs be able to bite you by the arm or do that neck bite attack from 1.5 more often, etc.
                    HB is supposed to be a quick arcade game, hence why increasing enemy pattern complexity isn't going to help that much. I did think of the possibility of including special attacks that are only found in some RE games (like Cerberus being able to drag you down or reach players on higher floors), but so far it didn't turn out too well for what I'm seeking. Still, BTM might benefit from additions.

Originally posted by geluda View Post
                    I'm pretty sure this has been addressed already, but any chance of seeing some dinosaurs just for fun? Dino Crisis 2 was very arcade like, it's weapons, enemies and gameplay features would make for a lot of fun in a battle format like this one.
                    Erm... I actually did a long time ago but it's not what you're expecting.

Originally posted by Getta robo View Post
                    As a matter a fact I was about to ask that! Taken the fact that the team has done a wonderful job, it would be amazing if we were about to see a definite RE1 influenced by all other versions and variations. I wish you could consider this possibility.
                    You already got REmake and REmaster for that. An actual remake that is closer to the PSX version isn't going to make much of a difference, especially if you consider it's been done already with Deadly Silence.

Comment

• Hmmm... Taking it from an arcade style action game point of view, besides having 3 Neptunes with a leap attack, just making the water level as low as possible to start with and not reducing the player's movement speed as much so you can actually fight them would be a sufficient arcade-fication.

Comment

• IIRC RE1 halves the speed and animation playback rate, while later games keep frames at the same rate but reduce movement speed by 1/3th when water level gets close to knees (not sure about the actual number, it's 50 cm or something close). My approach will be like in the later titles since they play a lot better and look less awkward in general. As for Neptune making a leap, I'm not sure he does that in REmake. A straight jaw attack+speed boost could work just as fine as a leap. Another idea I've been brainstorming for a while is making enemies cooperate in some way. My Cerberus already does something like that, but it's mostly related to refiring attack patterns when a Cerberus has finished its tackle routine and the others take notice.
                        Last edited by Gemini; 01-01-2015, 11:50 AM.

Comment

Programming Plant 42 is taking way longer than it should have due to all the parallel AI code it requires to coordinate bulb and tentacles, plus the original code is as usual one big mess to follow and understand. Some attacks seem to be able to grab and lift the player, but I don't remember that boss to ever trigger said type of attack, unless it's a cutscene with P42 grabbing Chris/Jill and Rebecca/Barry coming to the rescue. While working slowly on P42 I followed a parted route and went back to implementing more core stuff
                          In RE1, P42 could grab the player (out of cutscene) and squeeze them for about a second or two, before Jill or Chris shakes off and falls to the floor...
                          I assume this is what you were asking? Can it grab the player and damage them as an attack - yes it can.. kinda cool really

Nice to see that PC exclusive gun - I never had RE1 on PC, so didn't see these things..
                          "I never thought any of this stuff my brother taught me would work!"

Comment

• Originally posted by RaccoonSurvivor View Post
                            In RE1, P42 could grab the player (out of cutscene) and squeeze them for about a second or two, before Jill or Chris shakes off and falls to the floor...
                            Yes. And even more cool is the fact that attack slices you in half if you're in danger. It's a unique death animation.

I believe it's triggered if the character is standing mid-distance from Plant 42. I know long-distance there's only the... acid thingy dropping on the floor and for close-distance it can either whip the character or "slap" it across the room.

Anyway, if you need some help figuring out the bosses (triggers, patterns, or whatever you remember) I can record some stuff for you.

BioHazard YouTube Channel
                            BioHazard 2 Prototype Database Project

Comment

• ^ I never knew that.. although I never got to Danger during the battle and was grabbed - gonna have to try and see at some point lol
                              Found it... skip to 5:00

All the death animations for Chris and Jill (with a bit of Rebecca) in the original Resident Evil.
                              Last edited by RaccoonSurvivor; 01-03-2015, 06:56 AM.
                              "I never thought any of this stuff my brother taught me would work!"

Comment

• Originally posted by RaccoonSurvivor View Post
                                I assume this is what you were asking? Can it grab the player and damage them as an attack - yes it can.. kinda cool really
                                I was asking exactly for that, yeah. I wasn't sure it'd use that attack since I've never seen it executed and the RE1 code is managed so badly it could have been ignored due to bugs with the random number generator.

Nice to see that PC exclusive gun - I never had RE1 on PC, so didn't see these things..
                                I've never tried it myself, but from footage I've seen around it's quite cool despite the fact that the original looks like colored blocks of Lego.

Originally posted by Kegluneq View Post
                                Yes. And even more cool is the fact that attack slices you in half if you're in danger. It's a unique death animation.

I believe it's triggered if the character is standing mid-distance from Plant 42. I know long-distance there's only the... acid thingy dropping on the floor and for close-distance it can either whip the character or "slap" it across the room.
                                From what I could see it should be triggered on some of the tentacles, not all of them (should be the first 3 it spawns), while the other 2 use a reduced pattern with the slap or random movement. There is also the last tentacle, which apparently only idles around with random patterns. And yes, if you're out of reach all it does is the spore thing from the ceiling.

Anyway, if you need some help figuring out the bosses (triggers, patterns, or whatever you remember) I can record some stuff for you.
                                Much appreciated! I'll make sure to forward more questions about patterns if I can't understand what the heck that wrecked code is trying to do with my Jill sandwich.

Originally posted by RaccoonSurvivor View Post
                                ^ I never knew that.. although I never got to Danger during the battle and was grabbed - gonna have to try and see at some point lol
                                Found it... skip to 5:00

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDPtMh-mpDw
                                Wow, that looks a whole lot cooler than I thought. :O

Comment

Working...
                                X