Resident Evil: Behind the Mask [+Hazardous Battle]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by RetroRain View Post
    Jill's S.T.A.R.S. costume looks very blocky in those pictures.
    That's what hard normals look like on the original model. RE6 applies a similar effect on EX outfits, which I tried to reproduce without the heavy specular. I'm still evaluating whichever works better in the end. These are the same models with hard normals on the left and phong-tagged on the right:

Classic Jill is kinda hard to tell apart from her DS counterpart.

Also, any chance of seeing her RE3 costume, or maybe even her BSAA costume?
    I doubt. She and Chris already got enough outfits.

Resident Evil: Behind the Mask twitter
    , also in Facebookian flavor for great justice.

Comment

• Maybe keep the hard normals for the face and use phong-tagged for the rest, it make the cheekbones and eye sockets more detailed and defined on Chris at least, the low res face texture looks worse smoothened on the phong-tagged version losing it's 3d effect imo.
      It's the cuboid arms that stick out the most, if you could round off the sides and elbow joint they'd look miles better, it's less of an issue with the legs.
      Last edited by Mikhail; 02-25-2015, 06:57 PM.

Comment

• Not trying to nitpick or anything, but is that facial hair on the police jill

Comment

• Originally posted by Gemini View Post
          These are the same models with hard normals on the left and phong-tagged on the right:

The ones on the right look a million times better than the ones on the left.
          My YouTube Channel - www.youtube.com/user/RetroRain2
          ROM Hacking Forum - acmlm.kafuka.org

Comment

• I'd prefer the right ones as well.

Oh and I'll start working on John Mayor again once I finish something else I'm doing that is priority at the moment.
            Last edited by -Rusty-; 02-26-2015, 06:37 AM.

Comment

• Yeah, putting my vote for the ones on the right.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gemini View Post
                That's what hard normals look like on the original model. RE6 applies a similar effect on EX outfits, which I tried to reproduce without the heavy specular. I'm still evaluating whichever works better in the end. These are the same models with hard normals on the left and phong-tagged on the right:

Classic Jill is kinda hard to tell apart from her DS counterpart.

I doubt. She and Chris already got enough outfits.
                Interesting comparisons. Are there any other variations possible? Out of these two I'd vote for the two on the right as well.

Comment

• Resident Evil '76?

Comment

• A few specific updates on Behind the Mask, while I wait for more material from the 1.5 sewers to be produced:

These two pictures were posted on Twitter a few days back to indicate that I kinda made progress on my side of the work. The main thing is that I have finally put myself out of procrastination mode and reversed pretty much fully the HMD format, which the original uses to store virtually any resource. I also figured out the compression involved with some assets, which was lame as hell and already used in another of TOSE's projects.

This mean that I currently have, with the exception of Hypnos (will be handled with a revision of the COLLADA exporter), a full plate of assets to play with and produce data compatible with Squeeze Bomb. While this is good to have straight rips of the GS cast (i.e. I didn't use ugly DirectX/OpenGL grab rips with messed up proportions, but that was like that from day 0), it also introduces a little possibility of progression due to the current non availability of Sonic Blue (ATM busy doing work for his portfolio): I can actually build a special version of the game with bare bone 3D environment rendering à la Dino Crisis, then prerendered can be implemented as soon as the backgrounds kick in (NOTE: we agreed to downgrade the style to classic, REmake takes way too much time). While it isn't really much of a significant update, it's at least a good way to fill the holes and proceed into actual planning & scripting as the engine became way more stable and mature during this year of work.
                    Last edited by Gemini; 07-18-2015, 11:47 PM.

Comment

• You've got the cleaners in there, nice. I was going to suggest/recommend implementing maybe a playable boss (Nemesis?) just as the Dino Colosseum in DC2 allowed you to play as the raptors, T-Rex, and even a tank. Even if it's just Nemesis equipped with a rocket launcher would make for a pretty cool unlockable character. Just give him two forms of attacks, shooting the rocket and using his rocket launcher as a melee weapon, simple enough. Do you plan to release any teaser footage showing the cleaners in action?

Heh, just realized this is for BTM not the battle game lol. Still would be cool to have Nemesis playable in Hazardous Battle.

Also wouldn't REmake quality backgrounds look very out of place in a PS1 based engine with the lower poly models and primitive lighting to begin with? The old school background approach is a much better decision IMO. I would imagine everything would go alot quicker anyway in terms of building the backgrounds, so you can just focus mainly on the technical side of things.

Glad to see this project is still going strong.
                      Last edited by VirusPunk; 07-19-2015, 11:24 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by VirusPunk View Post
                        Still would be cool to have Nemesis playable in Hazardous Battle.
                        I'm not really a fan of downpowered bosses used as playables. These also take way too long for enemy configuration and attacks/reactions. Think of how available actions drastically decrease when you play as an enemy in Dino Crisis 2. Big bummer for me. I rather have a sub mission with the UT Commander.

Also wouldn't REmake quality backgrounds look very out of place in a PS1 based engine with the lower poly models and primitive lighting to begin with? The old school background approach is a much better decision IMO. I would imagine everything would go alot quicker anyway in terms of building the backgrounds, so you can just focus mainly on the technical side of things.
                        The REmake style doesn't look off, all previous tests indicate so as a matter of fact. The backgrounds look fine even on higher resolutions, as the game is intended for multiple target platforms. The real issue is that REmake style takes way too long for material creation.
                        Last edited by Gemini; 07-20-2015, 09:26 AM.

Comment

• Hey, it's nice to get an update in this thread so that we know that things are still progressing! I wonder if there's something holding back the Hazardous battle development ? I know Sonic is unavailable but You were going to use classic backgrounds anyway so it shouldn't be an obstacle. What is the status of it ? Also, could we get a sample of the new not-remake styled background to see how it looks ? Personally I don't mind having the backgrounds 'downgraded' to the PSX style ones as long as we're talking RE2/3 stuff and not RE1 style.
                          Last edited by Saavas; 07-20-2015, 01:00 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Saavas View Post
                            I wonder if there's something holding back the Hazardous battle development ? I know Sonic is unavailable but You were going to use classic backgrounds anyway so it shouldn't be an obstacle. What is the status of it ?
                            I work on stuff in rounds, so it's currently on hold. HB is missing full implementation of Yawn, partial for Plant 42, and proper scripting of battle sequences. While the latter is rather easy to hook up and get running, AI programming still takes the cherry for complexity.

Keep in mind HB is the only project which has stuff done specifically for a demo, rather than chopped portions from the full thing. I rather wait and iron them out for the best outcome, instead of pushing a quick buggy release with no contents whatsoever à la patchi of wonderos.

Also, could we get a sample of the new not-remake styled background to see how it looks ? Personally I don't mind having the backgrounds 'downgraded' to the PSX style ones as long as we're talking RE2/3 stuff and not RE1 style.
                            You'll get a sample when Sonic is back to start working again on the game.

Comment

• Behind the Mask - It surpasses the sands of sadness within the darkest of hours.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mikhail View Post
                                Behind the Mask - It surpasses the sands of sadness within the darkest of hours.
                                I think maybe you forgot to sign in and post this with your Jesus Trollmero handle
                                I'm a blackstar.

Comment

Working...
                                X