Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will future Resident Evil tiltes return to survival horror?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When did Capcom ever say RE6 was going to be a return to survial horror? The quotes above from Capcom were about more action orientated gameplay in both RE6 and ORC. I remember them saying that that the Leon campaign would focus on more traditional SH (exploration, puzzles, limited ammo) than the other campaigns, not that the whole thing was a return to SH.

And at that point, the reason given publically was that the SH market is too small:

Believe on whatever you want, I'm not falling for the same shit again.
    I think you're mistaking my willingness to look at the current status of the RE series from lots of perspectives as myself being blindly optimistic that RE7 will be SH. Were you aware Capcom have talked about the Rev spin-off focusing on traditional gameplay whilst the big numbers focus on big ideas?

I'm disappointed by the way the series has evolved, but I feel that those in charge of recent RE tiles have been upfront to the public about their desire to change directions during the development of 4,5 & 6. I really enjoyed alot of 4 but I avoided by 5&6 until I could get them cheap based on these admissions during development.

Rather than get upset at what Capcom have done, I'd recommend spending these cold winter nights exploring what other devs have done with horror, zombies and surviving on the platforms you do have.
    "Stories of imagination tend to upset those without one."

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy_Jazz View Post
      When did Capcom ever say RE6 was going to be a return to survial horror? The quotes above from Capcom were about more action orientated gameplay in both RE6 and ORC. I remember them saying that that the Leon campaign would focus on more traditional SH (exploration, puzzles, limited ammo) than the other campaigns, not that the whole thing was a return to SH.
      That was way before RE6 was announced. They said it would be a reboot and it would go back to the roots of the series.

Comment

You have to be careful with rumours and leaks before a title is announced because it can change significantly during pre-production. The RE6 launch trailer showed off the Leon / Chris split (Jake was kept underwraps for abit).

It's easy to have alot of emotional investment with a long running series like this, which is why you can't get carried away, or you'll risk being disappointed.

Comment

You have to be careful with rumours and leaks before a title is announced because it can change significantly during pre-production. The RE6 launch trailer showed off the Leon / Chris split (Jake was kept underwraps for abit).

It's easy to have alot of emotional investment with a long running series like this, which is why you can't get carried away, or you'll risk being disappointed.
          "Leaks and rumors" that comes off CAPCOM's mouth:

One for RE6 before it was announced.
          Another one after RE6 was released.

CAPCOM says this "we'll return to horror" garbage every time, and try showing that by making spin-offs and remastering old games. This wasn't the first time, and won't probably be the last.
          This has become a cycle for Resident Evil and its fandom, and I don't want to be part of it.
          It has become completely and painfully obvious CAPCOM likes to fool the survival horror fanbase.
          Last edited by Guest; 01-19-2015, 11:15 AM.

Comment

Your first link is from just before RE5 was released. Are you telling me that they should be held to that and not change their mind at all? They were vocal about the changes they made when they announced the game and in the run up to its release. I can understand your disappointment, but they didn't pull the run out from under your feet on RE6's release day.

Your second link is about the series as a whole and not a specific game, and it comes from a single Producer, who hasn't been in the press since Revelations. He may be a spokesperson for Capcom, but he is not Capcom.

I agree with your frustrations on the state the series, bit I feel as if you're oversimplifying the situation and wasting energy vilifying Capcom.

Are you looking for a new game that has the same mechanics & prerendered backgrounds as RE1-3 or are you interesting in exploring some of the modern survival & horror titles out there?

Comment

Michelle,If you aren't going to have any more of this then why are you still here. If you're wanting an original survivor horror experience then you're better off making your own game. The Evil Within is probably the closest thing to a Resident Evil game you're going to get. Pre-rendered backgrounds are a thing of the past. This was mostly due to the hardware limitations of the time.
              Last edited by Ultimacloud123; 01-19-2015, 11:35 AM.

Comment

So many technical creative choices are initially compromises, but as limitations get lifted, they become stylistic choices you can make further down the line.

The reality is that we probably don't need pre-rendered backgrounds anymore because the quality you could get out of rendered backgrounds on next-gen consoles would easily surpass what would be pre-rendered thanks to the glory of Physics Based Rendering.

However, I wouldn't be surprised if we see fixed cameras or scrolling cameras similar to CV and TWD in real-time environments environments make a come back in games in the indie market if RE and Grim Fandango remasters strike a chord with current audiences and developers. We've already had them in Telltale's games for a few years.

Comment

I love people assuming I want a carbon copy of one of the old REs. Have you guys ever heard of Fatal Frame? THAT's how a modern survival horror game should look like, not the RE4-like story that Mikami used on The Evil Within.
                  You guys can think I'm villifying CAPCOM all you want. I've already voiced my opinions: Never gonna happen because CAPCOM are greedy assholes.
                  I'm done now, for real.
                  Last edited by Guest; 01-19-2015, 11:49 AM.

Comment

People? I asked you what you were looking for and UC was asking why stay if you're having none of it and suggesting making your own title if an RE1 style game was what you were looking for.

Comment

Fatal Frame is a good game however it's fear tactics are centered on Japanese mythology and beliefs. Somehow it at times reminds me of The Grudge. Now the topuc is about Resident Evil not Fatal Frame. I only mentioned The Evil Within since Mikami directed that as well as being the father to Resident Evil. As to a survival horror experience for Resident Evil in my opinion it won't happen. There is today much new blood working for Capcom.

Comment

I must admit, I didn't enjoy Fatal Frame, but the mechanics were scary. Same with Forbidden Siren. I loved Rec 2's twist that demons would show up in Night Vision and that reminded me of FF, but I felt it worked better because of the perspective of the film.

As for TEW, remember Shadow of the Damned before that, which was considered the spiritual successor to RE4 by the press. If he's taken the step from a much more abstract take on RE4 to TEW, the next step could be a regression back to more traditional RE.

And don't forget, the code name for one of the next Alone In The Dark games is 'Haunted House' and has been said to return to the series' original gameplay.

Comment

I can get behind the idea that they've said stuff before that hasn't come true or has been repeated. But those really are some hard pressed cases to confirm what you're trying to say.

As Jazz said - the former was said even before RE5 launched and covered the idea that many Capcom staff said about both RE5 and RE6 that it was going to be hard to follow RE4/RE5 with another successful game. I somehow doubt any real thought was put into the RE6 at this point and regardless it doesn't say anything about survival horror either, the only comment about that comes from the reporter.

The latter is discussing something that hasn't happened yet. If RE7 comes out and is just as action packed as all the other recent main games then sure thing you can come back and point this out. But right now they could do exactly what is said in there and listen to the fanbase and the next main game will be quite survival based.

As pointed out things change in development. I mean I've been following the franchise since the beginning and I could probably spout of dozens of times Capcom staff have said something about the franchise that hasn't happened... just simply because changes happened. The game got changed, scrapped, they left Capcom, other people were put in charge, the shareholders or upper management changed their ideas... hell Mikami paid dearly in the public eye on the latter when RE4 got ported and he turned the whole thing into a running gag. By your standards Mikami should have cut off his head :p

Comment

Then, They've said RE6 was gonna be a reboot, released a spin-off that they've also claimed was going back to the roots, and rereleased Code Veronica.
                            Now, they are saying RE7 is gonna be a reboot, are realeasing a spin-off that they claim to be going back to the roots, and rereleased REmake.

"Oh, but it was early and they've decided to change it!"
                            Who cares?? The point is that they usually say this stuff to fool everyone into thinking they are listening to feedback and are going to give us "true horror", they've claimed this a million times. Only to come back with the complete opposite.

Comment

Then, They've said RE6 was gonna be a reboot,
                              Who cares?? The point is that they usually say this stuff to fool everyone
                              One person in a complex company that is a publisher and houses multiple development teams said something. If you believe that what they said applies to everyone in the company and remains true forever then it is you who has been fooled. Not us. And you being fooled has nothing to do with their motivation. You have no proof that they deliberately went out to fool anyone.

Would you claim the differences between the Alpha, Betas & playable demos of RE1, 2 & 3 are due to Capcom trying to fool people or are you aware that creation takes you on a journey where things change? Oh no, the real RE2 featured a bus that wasn't in the demo that came with RE: DC, they set out to fool me!

[EDIT]

Oh no, the real RE2 featured a bus that wasn't in the demo that came with RE: DC, they set out to fool me!
                              Apologies everyone, that was immature and I've had a few beers. I've Blocked MR instead.

I'm all up for discussing ideas, thoughts and opinions on the series. I just can't tolerate the "Oh Noez, Capcom betrayed me" mentality of some people. I hear and read it all the time with creative people, groups, bands, companies all the time that change direction. I'm happy to accept that someone at a company will direct something to make the most possible money, but I'm mature enough to know it's not such a simple situation as the whole company sitting back and agreeing with it.

The rise of horror and survival in games has led a company like Sega to take a risk with Alien: Isolation. For a title that's been in development for quite a few years it make not seem like 2.5m copies sold is a success, but it is a turning point in AAA attituedes towards horror games, alongside the critical and commercial success of The Last Of Us and The Walking Dead.

I hope these, and BTM and IGAS's 1.5 prove that there's a life out there for the RE franchise as a more horror focused title, but I know that if that doesn't happen, it's not because Capcom are making up plans just to con older RE fans into handing money over for an wasy buck.
                              Last edited by Jimmy_Jazz; 01-19-2015, 03:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MichelleRockz View Post
                                Then, They've said RE6 was gonna be a reboot, released a spin-off that they've also claimed was going back to the roots, and rereleased Code Veronica.
                                Now, they are saying RE7 is gonna be a reboot, are realeasing a spin-off that they claim to be going back to the roots, and rereleased REmake.

"Oh, but it was early and they've decided to change it!"
                                Who cares?? The point is that they usually say this stuff to fool everyone into thinking they are listening to feedback and are going to give us "true horror", they've claimed this a million times. Only to come back with the complete opposite.
                                No one said RE6 would be a reboot. There is no actual quote in the destructoid article linked saying reboot, they've just put it into quotes as if that's what was said. It wasn't.

On the original interview with Jun Takeuchi on 1up, he never mentioned anything specific, rather they discussed the comments from Mikami - who was no longer working on the franchise obviously (and which are quoted in the Destructoid article) and Jun noted "And maybe I should take his comments about needing a completely new system into account." - From that Destructoid said RE6 a "reboot" - it's not exactly accurate is it? Other articles ran with this sort of colored journalism at the time and used the abridged "completely new system" as evidence in 2009 while ignoring it was actually more about Mikami's idea being discussed and just a thought from Takeuchi about what he might do later. Not exactly him saying it will be.

You're welcome to check for yourself. Web archive of the two page interview from 1up, the quote is on the second page:

Regardless as well it doesn't take into account what choices Takeuchi picked for the future of his own career after Bio5 which saw him step away from the franchise. Even if he had wanted to change the direction, once he chose not to continue it wasn't up to him anyway making all of this rather moot if it was just simply his thoughts anyway.

As far as I know no one said the word reboot for RE7 either. All that has been discussed is the response to RE6 and the idea of a return to more survival horror... I don't think I missed anything like that in what you linked. But please show me the exact quote if I did. Talk is just talk. I don't see why you've got your underwear in a twist over this. Yes not everything said will be true, but as I said above, this has been the case with the franchise for years and most games to be honest.

And I still don't know what re-releasing Code Veronica or the Remake has to do with anything? They've re-released just about every game in the franchise at some point. The point is what exactly?
                                Last edited by Rombie; 01-19-2015, 03:22 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X