Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will future Resident Evil tiltes return to survival horror?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wrathborne View Post
    Actually if Richard Matheson never wrote "I am legend" we never would have gotten "Night of the living Dead". Sorry to split hairs there,
    It's not splitting hairs, but going back a few stages further. Ironically, Matheson hated Night of the Living Dead.

In the UK there was a semi regular buyers guide spin off from The Official Playstation Magazine. In one early issue, on a reprint of the original RE1 review they included a new interview with one of the RE1 Dev's who said that "Gli Ultimi Zombi" (Zombi 2 / Zombie Flesh Eaters elsewhere, but that name was specifically quoted in the article) was a major influence on the zombies themselves. Compare them to Romero's zombies, they were much slower but much more powerful and practically unkillable.

Unfortunately I don't have the magazine anymore and can't find any back issue resources online to prove this
    Last edited by Jimmy_Jazz; 01-21-2015, 06:34 AM.
    "Stories of imagination tend to upset those without one."

Comment

Originally posted by Wrathborne View Post
      Actually if Richard Matheson never wrote "I am legend" we never would have gotten "Night of the living Dead". Sorry to split hairs there,
      Your right. How could I forget that book.

Comment

About the Question if the survival horror will return.

its sad but NO, that will not happen, its like final fantasy that kind of games are not the same since a long time, i used to think that Kamiya could restore that but after playing The evil Within i came to realize that i was wrong, Kamiya its not the right man to do it, he make good action games like bayonetta and DmC and even take the base resident evil 4 on evil within when the correct formula was resident evil 1 that are his class of games he could do best.

the only one who can do a good job trying to return to its roots the survival horror is Hideo Kojima thera are no metal gear that i dont like.

that are my humble opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by strikedio84 View Post
          About the Question if the survival horror will return.

its sad but NO, that will not happen, its like final fantasy that kind of games are not the same since a long time, i used to think that Kamiya could restore that but after playing The evil Within i came to realize that i was wrong, Kamiya its not the right man to do it, he make good action games like bayonetta and DmC and even take the base resident evil 4 on evil within when the correct formula was resident evil 1 that are his class of games he could do best.

the only one who can do a good job trying to return to its roots the survival horror is Hideo Kojima thera are no metal gear that i dont like.

that are my humble opinion.
          Mikami was the director of Resident Evil and The Evil Within. Kamiya directed Resident Evil 2, DmC, and Bayonetta. You're getting them confused. But your point still makes sense otherwise

I don't think there is any going back either. Personally the more I see of Rev2 and thinking also back to Rev... I honestly think unless Capcom goes full retro style for the sake of it (akin to Bionic Commando Rearmed but with the RE franchise) then the Rev titles are going to be the closest thing to traditional pre-RE4 games we're likely going to get.

Comment

I guess we'll just have to pin our hopes on the Kojima lead Silent Hills . . .
            sigpic

Comment

Lol, no.

Only fan projects will offer the kind of retro survival horror we're craving.

Comment

"CAPCOM are greedy assholes!"
                "YOU CAN'T JUDGE ALL OF THEM BY THE ACTIONS OF DIFFERENT PEOPLE >: ("

Read it: http://www.the-horror.com/forums/sho...-for-raid-mode

Oh yeah, an entire company is not guilty for the greedy antics of different production teams. Except the same greedy antics are repeated over and over again through several franchises. But it's OK, it's perfectly justifiable, as long as you go on buying their shit and believing your angelical non-greedy antics will show up for an actual game. This has been around since Street Fighter 2, there's a damn good reason CAPCOM's infamous nickname is CRAPCOM.
                Last edited by Guest; 02-03-2015, 10:00 PM.

Comment

Capcom surely has a lot of great artists and genuine talented people that actualy care about doing good videogames, but 2 or 3 "greedy assholes" at the top of their CEO whose first and only concern is to earn money and more money, and don't care about anything else besides money, is enough to ruin the potential of any game.

As long as most of the biggest videogame companies are ruled by a bunch of black suited money-whores like that, who probably don't even like videogames, nothing we can get from those companies is going to overcome the quality or the spirit of the old great titles they made in the past, when they were much smaller studios but made entirely by people who had passion for videogames.

Blaming an entire company isn't fair, but it's the way most people act since they don't know the actual responsibles for most of the crap we're getting these days as videogames.
                  The Resident Evil 3D Animation Showcase

Comment

Originally posted by Lanzagranadas View Post
                    Blaming an entire company isn't fair, but it's the way most people act since they don't know the actual responsibles for most of the crap we're getting these days as videogames.
                    Well said. u_u
                    Nobody's gonna stop and go all "McDonalds food is not crap and they're not greedy, it's the people running them that are."
                    Regardless of the people working there being well-intentioned or not, the product they sell us is still what defines their quality as a company/brand.
                    Last edited by Guest; 02-03-2015, 10:48 PM.

Comment

Even though Revelations 2 appears to follow the same action trend as the last half a dozen or so titles, it looks so glossy that no-one is likely to care. Personally, I'm gonna love playing as Barry as he is a legend among the series and to date, was never canonically playable.

Comment

Barry's time as lead character is overdue.

I'd love to see a prequel that follows STARS in the early 90s, before Jill & Chris joined, and focusing on Barry & Wesker's relationship.

Actually. I don't know if it's the MGS fan in me, but I feel as if there's more to gain from this series by focusing on a prequel timeline following the Spencer family and Wesker than lots of sequels where BOWs are on the rampage.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy_Jazz View Post
                          I'd love to see a prequel that follows STARS in the early 90s, before Jill & Chris joined, and focusing on Barry & Wesker's relationship.

Actually. I don't know if it's the MGS fan in me, but I feel as if there's more to gain from this series by focusing on a prequel timeline following the Spencer family and Wesker than lots of sequels where BOWs are on the rampage.
                          These could work.

If you're fine with no monsters at all.
                          PROJECT Umbrella - The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium

Comment

Originally posted by Lanzagranadas View Post
                            Capcom surely has a lot of great artists and genuine talented people
                            Sorry but not talented enough. They tried a wide range of games since RE5 and failed in them all.

Comment

That's very subjective, what do you consider a fail? And even if games aren't good, that doesn't mean every Capcom worker is an incompetent, people who lead those projects are the problem.
                              The Resident Evil 3D Animation Showcase

Comment

Originally posted by News Bot View Post
                                If you're fine with no monsters at all.
                                The series retro fits things all the time into its past so there's no reason why monsters & scary things can't be entered into the timeline.

But I appreciate that's it's not going to be a popular option. I would have preferred 4 to have left Umbrella & the legacy of previous REs behind and still think the series could do with a fresh start but know I'm in the minority here.

Comment

Working...
                                X