RE2Make

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RE2Make

I'm currently bogging the REMaster thread down with some discussions on a potential RE2Make so thought I'd start a fresh thread for this and keep that thread on track, especially with awesome REMaster mods coming to fruition.

I'm sure discussions on whether or not a RE2Make should / would go ahead will automatically start up, so for now, if there was a RE2Make, how would you like to see it being handled? What would you change, keep the same and do to entice a new generation of players into a zombie filled police station that was on the wrong end of a Nuclear Bomb 16.5 years ago?

I remember some rumours in the paper press about a decade ago for an RE2MAke on the PSP that was changed to be more like RE4 and kind of relieved that didn't happen. For me, 4 is at it's best when you're dealing with large crowds in big areas full of places to retreat to and out manoeuvre the large numbers of enemies, the kind of thing it so did in 4 and didn't bother with in 5 & 6.

As for what I would do, I feel as if there would be alot more room to flesh out the plots of Chef Irons and Annette Birkin. I always like the idea of Irons going mad, but it was all given away prior to meeting him via files. There was no mystery there and a game of cat and mouse across the GCPD could have been introduced. And Annette didn't have any direct interactions with Sherry or William (that I remember). I must admit, during my first playthrough of RE2 I was expecting William and Annette to meet, along the lines of Cain meeting his GF in Robocop 2.

And how did we never get a Birkin Vs Mr X fight? It would have been a spectacle to see Mr X corner Sherry and Birkin step in to 'protect' (he's got his reasons) her. The two would fight whilst Claire gets Sherry out.

Outside of that, I think the thing that is really lacking in 2 are puzzles that suit the location - a police department. It looks like Capcom retreated from that after 1.5 and went back to the formula of gems, keys, cranks & batteries.

But after all that, I'm still not sure that's all enough to justify RE2Make. Team IGAS's and Gemini's work on 1.5 & BTM, and the remake of Gaiden are more exciting to me.
    RE2 Style: Same characters, puzzles, enemies and locations, but with better backgrounds
    11.36%
    REMake Style: Keep the gameplay the same but expand upon the locations, characters & puzzles
    75.00%
    RE4 Style: Tweak the game and world for TPS but avoid crazy Melee fights
    0.00%
    RE6 Style: Cover shooting & melee combat all the way!
    0.00%
    Other Styles: Share below!
    0.00%
    Post-Modern Style: RE2 is a nightmare Leon is having before his first day at work
    2.27%
    I wouldn't make / want one
    11.36%
    "Stories of imagination tend to upset those without one."

There is nothing wrong with the ordinary RE2, they are so terrible in making games these days that they even managed to screw up an already made game, remake.

Comment

Originally posted by yurieu View Post
      There is nothing wrong with the ordinary RE2, they are so terrible in making games these days that they even managed to screw up an already made game, remake.
      This.

Capcom remade RE1 because it needed it and it was handled by a majority of the same team.

The Capcom that made RE2 simply do not exist anymore.

Any remake would be butchered, and Darkside Chronicles is a big enough hint as to why.
      "I've got 100 cows."
      "Well I've got 104 friends."

Comment

I didn't mind Darkside - as it was the closest thing to a RE2/CV remake.

What I do mind, is that every modern RE (and games in general) seem to beef up the drama and cliche to be all hollywood and dramatic.
        Normally characters say things normal people just wouldn't say in the same situation - everything is constantly shoving attention in your face every 5 minutes.

For examples of this, think Tomb Raider 1 and then the TR Anniversary remake by Crystal Dynamics - they overdid SO many things to make the game 'appeal' to modern gamers (who I think ,have very low attention spans) Not to mention making the game easier..
        "I never thought any of this stuff my brother taught me would work!"

Comment

I've not played DS yet. Do they make any big changes to RE2 or expand upon anything in it?

& I couldn't stand TR:Anniversary either, but it was actually made by Core Design and was quite far into development (past Alpha I think) before Core were shut down and the game was finished off by CD. I don't know how much of the original TR1 dev team were still at Core at that point though.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy_Jazz View Post
            I've not played DS yet. Do they make any big changes to RE2 or expand upon anything in it?
            I would suggest playing it before wishing for an RE2 remake.
            "I've got 100 cows."
            "Well I've got 104 friends."

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy_Jazz View Post
              I don't know how much of the original TR1 dev team were still at Core at that point though.
              Impressively, the major bulk of that first game was created by a team of just 6-- all, save Gard, would have been long gone by Anniversary. A few more people were called in end-of-game for faster touchup, but that's about it. Thumbs down here for 'anniversary' as well.

Concerning a 2Make, I just don't see the game needing it. However, if it was a thing that theoretically had to occur in some iteration, some of your instincts here I can agree with as well- X vs Birkin was almost a natural thing to assume was going to happen. The puzzles mentioned in OP, tie in partly why I agree with that Trentman's original, "Is RE2 a remake of RE1" thread. Too samey with 1 for me, so would personally enjoy some further distinction created there.

Maybe it is the nature of the quality-rendered RPD used in retail, but I simply don't see updated pre-rendered's aiding it as much as they did with 1make. It's almost as if the rendering's would be more impressive if they attempted something closer to 1.5's more 'real' station. The original's just did a little too good of a job, so it's almost as if for aesthetic 'wow' purpose the look would have to be altered greatly in some basic design respects to achieve that reaction in 2016-2017. If that's even possible.

In some ways, '2' was very Hollywood- but, as mentioned, was well paced, and not rootey-tooty aim'n shooty action we see today.
              The horror is alive, the horror is expanding; living with the horror, can be demanding

Comment

Originally posted by TheBatMan View Post
                But I've never wished for it??? In both the top post of this thread and ones in other threads I've stated that I don't think there's either a creative need or a market for RE2Make and would prefer Capcom to focus their efforts on new entries in the series.

Since there are those in favour of RE2Make, I'd like to hear more about what they think could be done to take it beyond what we had 13 years ago and make it appeal to current audiences. My suggestions above are to get the ball rolling and are nowhere near enough to justify a remake, nor would I imagine any such changes / additions going down well with hardcore RE2 fans.

Comment

This is ironically funny.

Comment

Any remake would be butchered, and Darkside Chronicles is a big enough hint as to why.
                    At first I wondered, "why did he say that ? the remade backgrounds are great". But then I remembered how Annette was depicted in this game and I shivered. So now she wants to end her husband's suffering huh ? That's so out of character, I still wonder how they came up with that. And don't get me started on Ada's mini-rocket launching lipstick...

Comment

I always dreamed of a RE2make in the style and feel of remake. The original games didn't scare me much but the release of REmake did with its atmosphere and new enemies. Crimson Heads were scary as hell especially when you encounter them first in that hallway with the mirrors where you get the arrowhead. Lisa Trevor game me some OMG moments.

As for your comment on the Gaiden remake, I'm glad to see people excited about the project. It's still being worked on. An update will happen in the near future. Hopefully I can get Gemini to build it on his engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Sly View Post
                        At first I wondered, "why did he say that ? the remade backgrounds are great". But then I remembered how Annette was depicted in this game and I shivered. So now she wants to end her husband's suffering huh ? That's so out of character, I still wonder how they came up with that. And don't get me started on Ada's mini-rocket launching lipstick...
                        Yep... this is what I was saying.. the game didn't need all this campy stuff - so why add it? So stupid dumb people don't get bored with 'serious' style of storytelling and characters..
                        Most games seem to have taken this 'Micheal Bay' OTT style.. unfortunately.
                        "I never thought any of this stuff my brother taught me would work!"

Comment

I voted to keep the gameplay the same, but to expand upon the locations, characters and the puzzles. If they were to remake it much like they did with the REmake, then I'll definitely be happy with it.

Comment

I'm also curious to how people think the game could be expanded whilst remaining true to the source material. I don't think the addition of Crimson Heads would really add anything more to the game, whilst the detailed Haunted House look of the REMake wouldn't translate to the themes of RE2. RE1/Make had you uncovering and exploring multiple mysteries simultaneously (Barry / Chris' disappearance, Wesker's disappearance, the mansion, the source of the attacks on locals, Umbrella's experiments, someone betraying Stars, Trevor / Lisa, etc). RE2 sets up alot of its world's foundations upfront and doesn't really do anything with Chris' latest vanishing, but there's some amount of focus on trust and family.

Like Burt says, I think a modern police station, along the lines of the one in 1.5, would probably suit modern tech much more, but risks betraying the source material too much in the eyes of those in favour of such a remake.

And wow, Lipstick Rocket Launcher? I'm glad I avoided Darkside Chronicles! I wonder how the initially proposed REMake in the style of 4 would have gone down back on the GC and if it would have had any impact on the series' direction since.

Comment

I think I'll just leave this in here. This was made by c2keo, and was posted a couple of years ago:

Click image for larger version

Name:	re2hall.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	257.8 KB
ID:	403882

It looks modern, while still keeping RE2's haunted house look. I suppose it all has to do with the way you light the scene, and the placement of modern setpieces in a classic locale. The RPD is supposed to be a renovated museum, after all. There are a few rooms in RE Zero that are designed like this. They just need to lay off on all the gaudy chandeliers and paintings.
                              Seibu teh geimu?
                              ---

Comment

Working...
                              X